[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Cute >Interesting backstory >Connections in universe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (52KB, 662x217px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 662x217px
>Cute
>Interesting backstory
>Connections in universe that could be explored and expanded on
>useful power set
>Super genius
>Character flaws that could make for interesting interactions
But

>Comic's plot revolves around finding spunky brown girls who are super smart
>That's it
>That's the whole thing.

Why the fuck is this Marvel's MO on w it ing anything involving women these days? It feels like the only one that doesn't actively do that anymore is Ms Marvel.
>>
wasted a good artist too
>>
>>94207714
I really like the idea of Nadia, but the book is just so fucking bad.
>>
this book is easily the worst thing to happen to ant-man since bendis killed scott
>>
Hopefully Nadia will stick around but all her sidekicks can go get Yost'd
>>
I like her in other things but this book is just so godawful. I'm actually comfortable in saying it's worse than America's book.

Although her going fucking crazy is interesting when it happens. Too bad the book isn't about that.
>>
>>94207714
Seriously, why are there so many Spunky Smart Brown Girls (TM) in the Marvel Universe?

There's Ms. Marvel, Ironheart, Moon Girl, and America Chavez, and those are just the ones whose names I can remember.

Are they coming out of a fucking factory?
>>
>>94207833
Sad thing is that the book became decent in the issue the Janet finally appeared. All they needed to do was not have that stupid G.I.R.L. (subtle as a hammer to the face) plot and have Janet being a part of Nadia's life as her stepmother and this could have been a good book
>>
>>94207714
>Grew up in the Red Room
>Acts like a happy-go-lucky teenage feminist
>>
>>94207952
>I like her in other things

This. Nadia's been fine outside of her own book.
>>
>>94207952
>I'm actually comfortable in saying it's worse than America's book.
I don't know. Like, I haven't even bother reading Wasp, but the artwork from what I seen is cute.

But America Chavez's book outright disgusts me. Like, picking up a dog poop with a scooper, and some of it came off and landed on your hand disgusting and the whole walk back, you're aware of it.
>>
>>94207978
quirky is such a patronizing personality trait
>>
>>94207751
>potato faces
>good artist
>>
>>94207952

>I'm actually comfortable in saying it's worse than America's book.

Does it ever get this bad?
>>
>>94207714

The later issues had an arc about the spunky brown girls combining their science skills to get a bomb out of the skull of Nadia's childhood friend. It kind of fell flat because the spunky brown girls' personalities and abilities weren't established well enough for it to be interesting, but I can see what they were going for.

"Superteen with attitude backed up by an A-team of after-school-special tech geniuses" isn't a bad hook for a comic, but it would take a skilled writer to keep all those balls in the air - more skilled than the one they got. The fact that it was clearly aiming for a younger audience than most of Marvel's lineup didn't help it either. Still, it's kind of a shame that it didn't pan out.
>>
>>94207978
i wouldn't call ms. marvel smart though. hell, she needs bruno to solve most of her problems.
>>
>>94207978
Don't include Kamala with the rest. At least Kamala has flaws, a supporting cast, themes and a unique powerset. The rest though are just the "clapback" generation.
>>
File: 1464553426866.png (636KB, 780x336px) Image search: [Google]
1464553426866.png
636KB, 780x336px
>>94208138
JESUS
FUCKING
CHRIST
>>
>>94207978

Ms. Marvel predates the others by years and too earnest to be labelled "spunky" in the context you're using it, even if Wilson can get pretty preachy.

Moon Girl is aiming for a much younger audience than the others.

Ironheart is Bendis taking the safe route because he's gotten lazy and wants a generically positive role model for his daughter.

I have no explanation for whatever the fuck is happening with modern America Chavez.
>>
>Let's get the bomb out of our friend by mimicking Viz and pulling it out while phased
>What do you mean that you need to close wounds?
>>
>>94208182

She is smarter than average, as in "high-B-to-low-A average in her high school studies" smart. But that doesn't mean shit in comics where you can't throw a rock without hitting someone with a four-digit IQ.
>>
>>94208135
Do you think that Bruce Timm and Darwyn Cooke also make potato faces?
>>
>>94208138
>Someone got payed to write this
>>
>>94208138
Please, please post more.
>>
>>94207952
I agree and Whitley doesn't even have the excuse of being a first time comic writer
Wasp is such a waste of a book, Scholastic even rejected it
>>
>>94208325
Not only paid to write this, gets PRAISED to write this!

I would not be shocked if she won an award for this book
>>
>>94208405
But will Marvel tell her if she does?
>>
>>94207952
>Talks down BOTH Spider-Mans
Constantly treats Peter as a moron despite him having like a thousand more times experience superheroing
Completely shut down Miles' attempt at possibly having character development by pulling the "If you kill an enemy in war, you lose" thing
>>
>>94208202
>>94208246
>>94207978
i feel like that tweet talking about if marvel has a good idea they'll take that idea and run it into the ground would be appropriate here. and kamala is probably the biggest example of this.

when ms. marvel took off in popularity marvel essentially saw the character (and i wanna say DC did too with batgirl but i can't remember if it was before or after ms. marvel) as a template for how to write their female heroes.
>>
File: Hope_Pym_(Earth-982)_0001.jpg (68KB, 460x461px) Image search: [Google]
Hope_Pym_(Earth-982)_0001.jpg
68KB, 460x461px
>>94207714
Hope Pym>>>>>Nadia
>>
>>94208566
*stopped reading
*no need for preposition 'the' after 'just'
*I wish I could
>>
>>94208505
Thing is, Marvel ruined Kamala by rushing through her goals so fast. The first year and a half were great stuff. But then she meets Carol Danvers, immediately joins the Avengers, starts to hate Carol, and then quits the Avengers all in about the span of a year. They blew through all the goals of her series in a blink of an eye, and now they're struggling to bring her back on track.
>>
>>94208505
My personal theory is it's a lot of writers having similar inspiration within the span of a few years and Marvel's editorial departments never coordinating so it ends up looking like there's some kind of weird editorial fiat to create a whole squad of sassy smart brown grrl superheroes or something.

This is why they run the gamut from basically inoffensive (Nadia) to terrible (Riri) to... whatever America Chavez is
>>
>>94208246
>I have no explanation for whatever the fuck is happening with modern America Chavez.
Someone decided to give her the one of the most gay-centric origins in comics.
>>
>>94208505
How exactly does the "Muslim" thing work? Like I've heard that has a definite anti-assimilation, anti-white tone, but it seems like she is just a normal girl who tries to be part of her society. Like she understands the beliefs of her people, but questions them when they conflict with other experiences and only her older brother is the "we need to stay our way" while the parents are more focused on simply thriving. Meanwhile, her friend Nadia isn't shown to be an ideal person and comes in conflict at times and gets mad at Kamala for drifting away. And Bruno isn't just "token white friend" since he has own personality and flaws.

Then again, I am not a Muslim, so I don't particularly understand the intricacies of their beliefs.
>>
>>94208686
That would be Gillen.
>>
>>94208592
That is a long torso. How tall is she?
>>
Honestly America isn't even an inherently awful character and considering her origin story is literally "black girl Jesus from the lesbian dimension" that's saying something---but she's fine in Ultimates^2 (WHICH NOBODY IS READING), she even gets some badass moments like popping open a wormhole to Cyclops's fucking kinetic energy dimension and blasting fools.

Really between her and Squirrel Girl I'm starting to think there's no character Ewing can't make work
>>
>>94208638
>and now they're struggling to bring her back on track.

the biggest fault of ms. marvel since issue is the pacing. part of that is wilson is clearly writing for trades + events throwing her off track.

the main theme of the book's current run is her realizing that she's indirectly responsible for everything that's happened in new jersey since she became ms. marvel.

i imagine that the legacy run of the book is going to be her growing from that realization.

>>94208717
>only her older brother is the "we need to stay our way"

not true they point out early on that he's olny like that to get out of getting a job
>>
>>94208917
So it is just a dimension that to an observe is just red pushy beams?
>>
>>94209192
A dimension of pure potential energy I guess, which is released as kinetic force beams when given space to fill.
>>
>>94209190
>not true they point out early on that he's olny like that to get out of getting a job

I don't agree. I think the brother is a sincere idiot, not a phony idiot.
>>
>>94209361
An idiot aware they are an idiot and use it to their advantage?
>>
>>94209361
recent issue had him break character and go on a whole tangent because he thought he was arrested for terrorism

and prior to secret wars he talked with bruno about how he's been whee bruno was
>>
>>94208138
The fact that she's actually fucking saying all of this aloud. To herself. In the car. When she could just be. I don't know. THINKING THIS WHILE MUCH MORE INTERESTING PICTURES COULD BE LOOKED AT OF AMERICA RUNNING WITH MAGS.....
>>
>>94207714
All I've seen is her being a know it all bitch to Spider-Man for no reason. Like what the fuck?
>>
>>94209739
Wasps and Spiders are natural enemies
>>
>>94209791
So is fire to spiders but Peter gets along just fine with Johnny.
>>
>>94208103
Other than when Waid is having her be a total cunt to Spider-Man for no reason (yea I know he's referencing an old gag but it's worn thin at this point with how she constantly snaps at him)
>>
>>94209814
There isn't a cult of fire-motif people that worship a multiverse-spanning fire god who constantly fight with the spider-cult
>>
>>94208717
It doesn't have an anti white or assimilation tone mate. She has a white best friend gets a crush like a normal girl.

Idk what Pol is feeding you but ms marvel is genuinely good. Yes it gets annoyingly preachy at times but overall its not bad.
>>
>>94207952
>I like her in other things
>>94208103
>Nadia's been fine outside of her own book.

Explain yourselves. Pic related is Nadia outside of her own book.
>>
>>94211885
A crazy bipolar nerd that talks down everyone because she assumes that they don't know what they are doing?
>>
>>94208246
>Ironheart is Bendis taking the safe route because he's gotten lazy and wants a generically positive role model for his daughter.
>positive role model
By having Ironheart invade and conqueror a foreign nation?
>>
File: pymtron.jpg (130KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
pymtron.jpg
130KB, 640x320px
I just want her to meet her daddy
>>
>>94211999
That was his interview smokescreen
>>
>>94211999

It was an evil foreign nation.
>>
>>94208138
This is almost Dobson-tier of fetishizing lesbians.
>>
>>94213044
Almost? The writer's whole personality revolves around being "sassy latina lesbian". Although the "arrow consultant" role is vague. Like just check if that is about what she would say?
>>
>>94209739
This is nothing new. Jan and Pete used to fight all the time because they were spliced with the DNA of a wasp and spider.
>>
>>94213134
My gut is actually telling me that Kelly Thompson was the one who wrote that scene.
>>
>>94212036
That's her brother wearing their dad's face.
>>
>>94207833
That's kind of the entirety of Marvel right now, huh?
>>
>>94215474
No, a lot of Marvel's ideas are bad.
>>
File: Nadia Pym.jpg (2MB, 2274x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Nadia Pym.jpg
2MB, 2274x3056px
>>94207714
Waid did/does a far better jobt with Nadia than the hack writing her solo series.
>>
>>94207714

I remember the storytime for the first issue. So many anons gave up after the first page.
>>
>>94208182
>she needs bruno to solve most of her problems.
Until he blew himself up while trying to hack an electric lock like the world's biggest idiot and he got super butthurt at Kamala about it.
>>
>>94216469
Well, seeing as Waid created her....
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.