[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you guys envision a European-inspired Avatar: The Last

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 12

File: AvatarMap.png (54KB, 1027x712px) Image search: [Google]
54KB, 1027x712px
How would you guys envision a European-inspired Avatar: The Last Airbender? In our Asian-inspired version, we have Japanese culture: Fire Nation, China: Earth Kingdom, Eskimo: Water Tribe, Tibetans/Nepalese: Air Noimads. So which four European cultures would correlate to bending?

Nordic/Viking Tribes: Water Tribes
Romans: Earth Kingdom
British: Fire Nation
Catholic Monks: Air Nomads
>>
>>94196375
What tech level and time period? Cuz imo prussians fit fire nation better than the brits
>>
>>94196471
Similar to A:TLA
Whereas only the Fire Nation is beginning to industrialize. So, the Prussians would be acceptable. The Brits could have very nice "Red coat" inspired Fire Nation military uniforms.
>>
I'd be part of the fire nation going about conquering foreign lands? I'm okay with this
>>
>>94196375
Water Tribe also had those swamp dwellers (Vietnamese/Thai) living in the Earth Kingdom. So would the European equivalent be the Goths or something like that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths
>>
>Entire Roman cities/fortresses made out of bended marble
Sounds dope
>>
fire nation = Rome
earth kingdom = Egypt
water tribe = vikings
air nomands = the old european tribes like the Gauls
>>
>>94196375
I totally agree with your choice of tribes (except I'd make Greeks the Earth Kingdom instead). I'd also have bending be less of a martial art and more of a weapon. It would be cool to see more fire daggers, ice spears, rock hammers, etc. Additionally, I'd have the good spirits be based on biblical angels, neutral/trickster spirits be based on faeries, and the malevolent spirits be based on demons.
>>
>>94196375
Air Nomads= Greeks
Earth Kingdom= Germans
Water Tribe= Britons
Fire Nation= Roman Empire
>>
>>94196375
>keeping the classical European elements
You're betraying the inherent shallowness of Bryke's orientalism.
It's essential that the elements don't make sense for the setting. So metal, wood, whatever ancient chingchongs thought were the primary elements.
>>
File: Scythians shooting bows.jpg (2MB, 2579x1949px) Image search: [Google]
Scythians shooting bows.jpg
2MB, 2579x1949px
>>94197243
I think this anon is close. I'd fuse Hellenic and Latin culture for the Fire Nation. Air nomads should be actual nomads. Like Sarmatians and Scythians
>>
>>94196375
Water-Slavs/Tsarist Russia
Earth-Germanics/Holy Roman Empire
Fire-Turks/Ottomans
Air-Huns/Tartars
>>
>>94196375
Rome/Italy being the Earth Kingdom makes sense but then makes the whole Catholic connection to Air not make much sense.

Air people would definitely be Hasidic Jews/Romanians: nomadic, heavily linked to ancient tradition, somewhat mystical and foreign, and pretty uncommon to actually see in Western Europe because nobody likes them.
>>
>>94198433
>>94197243
It would work better this way I think.

Fire Nation= Roman Empire
Earth Kingdom = Germans
Southern Water Tribe = Carthage
Northern Water Tribe= Britain
Air Nomads= Greece/Egypt
>>
>>94199067
It really doesnt fit right.

Being an earth bender culture would mean easily acess to giant fortress and fertile fields. Earth nation being barbarian-like germans wouldnt fir very well.

Earth Nation feels more like Egypt, with piramid like structures and sphynx everywhere.
>>
>>94199123
I thought that Germany would be the Earth Kingdom since it was the one place that took Rome forever to actually conquer and even then it really didn't. egypt fell too easily to be the Earth Kingdom
>>
>>94196375

300BC
Earth = Greek
Water = Carthaginian
Fire = Roman
Air= Celt
>>
File: avatar alternate.png (273KB, 500x527px) Image search: [Google]
273KB, 500x527px
>>94199153
In reality, most of these doesnt feel right, but it is because of how the show works.

>>94196375
Is the world map still the same? This is VERY important.
>>
>>94196375
>Fire Nation= Roman republic
>Earth Nation= Etruscan Kingdom
>Air Nomads= Gaul
>Water Tribes= Carthage
>>
>>94196375
I'm going in a different direction.

>Fire Nation= Charles V's Empire
>Earth Kingdom = France
>Water Tribe= England
>Air Nomads = Russia
>>
Would they still do the bending the same way or would they use weapons/technology that 'channel' the elements?
>>
File: 1467704813933.jpg (676KB, 2313x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1467704813933.jpg
676KB, 2313x1300px
>>94196375
>>94196509
You need to take into account how mixed up europe is. Scotts would be a fucking jumbling mess of Scandi, German and English.

Rome is the fire nation first off, I don't understand where earth joins with rome, either way this means Fire nation is Spain 100%
Scandinavia and England would be perfect water nations since they both based themselves off navel superiority and it fits this historic revisionism better.
Russia, fins, poles, Bosnians and all slavs are Earth nation.
Air nation is the middle east, they were the real air nomads.

Everywhere is a mix regardless, in a french army you'd have literally every type of bending since they adopted mercenaries into the "french foreign legion"
and anyone touched by Rome would have a small minority of fire benders. This is where you'd see some english with fire bending, Germany and france with a bit more fire benders, and the Mediteranian and italians are all fire benders with some air mixed in.

I'm having a lot of fun thinking of the many aspects of real history and using the finger prints that ancient nations had as an excuse for the new nation to have a specific bending style.

Also Angels and Demons should be involved. not by a lot, but enough. also trolls and goblins. each landmass has its own race of mythical monsters.
>>
>>94199238
Yeah, I feel like plenty of people puttig water tribe as mediterranean are picturing them in a warm climate, instead of the South/North pole.

Also, dont forget:

ALL THESE CULTURES ON THE SHOW ARE A MIX OF MULTIPLE ONES - so mixing something might be good.

So indeed, where they are placed means a lot. If we take this in consideration, Water Tribes can only be viking/greenland inspired, and keep a little inuit too.

Fire nation would be in a mostly hot and tropical enviroment full of islands. They should go for something classical like Hellenic period, Alexander empire in its prime (particulary on clothe/culture), but their buildings would be more Roman than greek.

Earth Kingdon can be more diversified.
Overal I would say to go for a greek theme with them on big cities like Ba-Sin-Se, other places would have a more Egyptian feel into them (like Omashu), some remote places would have more gaul-like villages.

Air nomads are difficult to place...
>>
File: 1496380764606.jpg (65KB, 337x485px) Image search: [Google]
1496380764606.jpg
65KB, 337x485px
Could minor factions exist? Like vassals to the major factions?
A minor air bender faction with this shit would be schway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacian_Draco
>>
>>94199385
>and anyone touched by Rome would have a small minority of fire benders. This is where you'd see some english with fire bending, Germany and france with a bit more fire benders, and the Mediteranian and italians are all fire benders with some air mixed in.
How would the romanized eastern populations like what eventually gave rise to romanians and shit fit into this?
>>
Someone on /co/ once whipped up a European Avatar idea to mock someone who thought the Asian thing was integral to the series.

When I get home from work I'll post the screencap.
>>
>>94199493
Romanians are mixed, they aren't truly the descendants of romans, they are trash and swine.
they would only have some weak bit of everything, probably taking in whatever is the primary bending style of the land and breeding into it. like Romania would be mainly Air or earth now due to being taken by islamic conquest and being recaptured by slavs, you'd know him as Vlad the Impaler.
>>
>>94199571
Do you take your history from /bant/?
>>
>>94199456
Europe is a jumble of different groups that mingled for centuries.
and like I posted here >>94199385
countries would have had numerous amount of specific soldiers in their army.
>>
>>94199656
I'm not a historian, but I know enough not to select bending tribes with whoever I "feel" should get a certain element.
>>
>>94199700
Your post is a literal shitpost you'd find on /bant/ mate, along with talking almost completely out of your ass.
>>
Romans would be the Fire Bending peoples who conquer non-benders and after assimilation look down upon them, in disdain, as non-bending plebeians.
>>
File: giphy.gif (239KB, 300x401px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
239KB, 300x401px
>>94199762
Feel free to make an effort to break down anything I've said with some footnotes and fact checking yourself, otherwise you're the one shitposting.
>>
File: 1485723378329.png (87KB, 268x325px) Image search: [Google]
1485723378329.png
87KB, 268x325px
>>94199815
>>94199762
>>94199493
>Gypsy defence force
>>
>>94199838
How can I fact check a wrong opinion?
>>
>>94196375
What would they do in place of kung fu? Just sword would be lame.
>>
File: 1471815948124.jpg (502KB, 864x1238px) Image search: [Google]
1471815948124.jpg
502KB, 864x1238px
>>94199494
It is integral to the show, people here are having a hard time making it work. It was the backbone of the show.

>>94196375
Ok, time for the objectively best choice, keep in mind that I am still suing the map of the show as a reference, not some undefined european map.

>Fire Nation
Mainly based on Renaissance Venice (buildings, clothes) + Conquerors from Spain (armors, some aestethics) + steel ships.
Overly adorned buildings and armors, on war uses full conqueror era style armor with a mask (like on the show).

>Earth Kingdom
Go for somethinf more "rustic and old school" with them, without making them full blow barbarians (because they NEED big buildings). So I will go for:
- Charoligean/Holy Roman Empire aestethics + the biggest and most advanced medieval castles from late middle age. Earth benders with full beard, usually mail armours (Korra metalbenders would wear knight-like armours), plenty of capes made out of fur too. Basicaly early middle age, maybe with a bit of saxons too. As the Earth Kingdom is too big and diverse, some regions have people that resemble gauls, visigoths and other medieval tribes.

>Water Tribe
Vikings/scandinavian, that one is easy.

>Air Nomads
Keeping in mind the exoticism and mysticism, go for DRUIDS AND CELTS in clothes and aestethics. Celts used to paint their body blue already, and druids shaved half of their heads too - so you have some paralels. Just picture their tatoos following the chakras, but with some blue celtic/scot patterns, But the monasteries resemble irish monasteries, that have a nice mix of pagan aestethics for christian religion.

What you think? If I get home early, I can sketch something similar to this.
>>
>>94199947
Keep the kung fu.

Seriously, this will go to shit if we dont keep these wuxia inspired art styles. Many of these martial arts were made to be flashy, and this is what works for TV. Otherwise, we would end up with something boring (like a bending style even more boring than "punch punch" probending).
>>
>>94199385
We're talking about homogenized bending nations, man. In the same vein of Avatar, so as that they are fictional nations and peoples that draw major inspiration, or solidly based on a single culture. This influence do not need to exist in the same time period, as the Fire Nation was based of an industrialized Japan, and the Earth Kingdom off a more classical China. European anthropology doesn't need to be so strict. We all have a a similar, general idea of the Romans.

I like the idea of the Roman Eagle being the gifter, or teacher of firebending to them, or Remus and Romulus being the first firebenders.
>>
>>94199948
I like the idea of Celts and Druids and later Scots airbending in the highlands.
>>
>>94199992
>not wanting savate using water benders
>or capoeiraesque fire bending
>air bending monks practicing bartitsu
>or glima earth bending
>>
>>94199838
>Romanians are mixed
Everyone in Europe is mixed, according to what I can find about genetics of Romania genetically they are a mix of Balkan genetics, which are predominant, along with slavic (especially in Moldova) and of central europe (especially in Transylvania). As for Y-Haplogroup, predominantly it's I2, specific for pre-Indo-European populations, next being R1a (Slavic) and J2 (Neolithic farmers from Near East).
>they aren't truly the descendants of romans
Because you say so? Only Italians can say truly they are descendants of romans genetically, and even they had germanic migration in the north and arab in the south.
>they are trash and swine
Nice facts.
>like Romania would be mainly Air or earth now due to being taken by islamic conquest and being recaptured by slavs
Unlike Bulgaria, Greece or even Hungary, the Romanian Principalities were not a part of the Ottoman Empire, but rather a vassal state, they had autonomy and muslim migration was non-existent, the first mosque built in Romania was during the reign of King Carol I to accommodate the Danubian Tatars, in 1910, after acquiring former Ottoman territory.
Recapturing by the slavs makes no sense and I have no idea what butthole you pulled that out of because unlike other territories slavs were assimilated, no the other way around, and that happened long before Vlad Tepes.
So yeah you're talking out of your ass completely. Feel free to refute.
>>
File: 1496768933345.png (52KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
1496768933345.png
52KB, 203x209px
>>94200283
Yeah I was talking out my ass, and I did make most of it up, sue me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>according to what I can find about genetics of Romania genetically they are a mix of Balkan genetics,
so like I said previously they would be earth nation predominantly
>>
>>94196375
I'd be tempted to draw from the more shifting a factitious nature of European states.

With Britain you could have the Union have taken place between a Fire-England and a Water-Scotland to make a state of steam and power.

The Spanish are Inquisition-ing out any trace of those damn sand-fuckers.

Water Geeks chafe under the Earth-Turks.

The Earth-HRE is a wall of pebbles rubbing against each other and only coming together strong in the face of an outside force.

You could abstract the Air portion to the Church and it's loose but omnipresent influence.
>>
>>94200335
Fag.

>>94199948
I like this.

Would you take drawing requests for them?
>>
>>94200335
Why are balkans earth nation?
>>
File: 871ca4e39b74c979d3ddb86d831ee2e6.jpg (683KB, 1280x988px) Image search: [Google]
871ca4e39b74c979d3ddb86d831ee2e6.jpg
683KB, 1280x988px
>>94196375
I wish I knew more about fighting styles but for the basic ideas I think these are good:
>Air Nomad
Amazons. Entirely women. Also violent and complete opposite of the pacifist Air Nomads. They would go about plundering and raiding cities (so still "nomadic") which would lead to their near-extinction in a more realistic way than how the original Fire Nation wiped out Aang's tribe. Since they aren't as spiritual not all of them can airbend.
>Earth Kingdom
Based off of Prussia and Germanic tribes in terms of politics. Ba Sing Se based off of Konigberg and Sanssouci.
>Water Tribe
I want to say Nordic but it seems so obvious. Perhaps the north/south divide could be a bit like the east/west Mediterranean to spice things up a bit? North water tribe could be a mix of Nordic and Greek islands (Cyclades/Crete) and the south is Nordic and Spanish (Balearic).
>Fire Nation
UK again, obviously. It's already a mix of British, Scottish, and Welsh. Along with Celtic and Irish culture there are already a bunch of stuff to do with it. Also give them red hair cause fire.
>>
>>94200660
I kind of hated all of your ideas. The air nomad one seems complete non sense.
>>
>>94196375
>Fire Nation
Swedish Empire with elements from early 19th century Britain. An absolute monarchy where the ruler enjoys divine mandate, society in general is extremely religious with the state religion being a monotheistic fire cult, Instead of being a throne potato like in canon this world's Ozai is pretty much Charles XII of Sweden but with ability to shoot fire out of his hands.

>Earth Kingdom
Pan-Slavic with the Ba Sing Se counterpart having more Byzantine feel to it. While still technically a single nation the Earth King's authority had been in decline for decades, after decades of war Earth Kingdom has split into dozens successor states, some of which have committed the unthinkable and opted to side with the Fire Nation in hopes their willingness to work with them will be rewarded.

>Norther Water Tribe
Hanseatic League, for decades they used to be able to pay off the Fire Nation and were even allowed to have limited trade with it and its colonies, but following Ozai's rise to power the Fire Nation's navy has turned its attention against them.

>Southern Water Tribe
Sea Sami inspired, instead of paying firegeld like their northern counterparts did the southern water tribe opted to fight and has now been reduced into scattered band of survivors trying to eke out meager existence in wilderness.

>Air Nomads
Eastern Orthodox monasticism, most of the air nomad population used to live in Mount Athos like monastery complexes with small minority being either stylites or wondering monks (who while being the rarest type of air nomad were also the type after which their whole civilization was named after)
>>
>>94196375

> How would you guys envision a European-inspired Avatar: The Last Airbender?

We already have that. It's called 'Legend of Korra'...
>>
>>94198895
so you want to the air nomads to be thieving gypies?

no wonder they got wiped out
>>
>>94201632
Republic City is American inspired
>>
>>94201740
Modern gypsies are thieves and scumbags because they refuse to enter modern society.

Back then gypsies were thieves and scumbags because they were literally not allowed to enter modern society because they weren't Catholic.
>>
>>94198895
>Romanians: nomadic, heavily linked to ancient tradition, somewhat mystical and foreign, and pretty uncommon to actually see in Western Europe because nobody likes them.
Those aren't Romanians.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanians
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people
>>
>>94202053
You're right, don't know why the fuck I said Romanians.
>>
>>94201774

And America was colonized by Europeans...

Frankly LoK stripped a lot of the Asiatic vibe of the original series and replaced it with a more western feel. Even down to clumsily installing a hackneyed dichotomy of Ultimate Good and Ultimate Evil into the core of its universe...
>>
I created a entire world based on this concept, with the bending based on Greek alchemy instead of martial arts, a giant Roman Earth Empire, Nordic Water Clans, a Celtic Air Kingdom, and Gypsy Fire Nomads, but it also had a bunch of non-european non-bending nations, and some non-human sentient races, and it was huge and fucking retarded and didn't even have an equivalent of the Avatar itself.
>>
>>94199385
Could Finns be swamp benders because muh swamps?
>>
>>94199860
those exist?
>>
>>94202467
They do, mostly they seem to be composed from Americans who've never even seen a gypsy and half/quarter-gypsies that have figured out how to use computers.
>>
>>94202493
>>94202467

>>94202053
>>
File: WorldAvatars1.png (810KB, 980x1024px) Image search: [Google]
WorldAvatars1.png
810KB, 980x1024px
>>94197144
I'd make Egypt water, because the Nile. Not Europe, but it would be a stand-in for the delicious brown of the ATLA Water Tribes.

I designed a few Western world based Avatars some time ago, these were 2 of em.
>>
>>94199238
I think a european version of this world should have more of the nations connected by land to reflect the geography of Europe. (like 3 of the 4 nations should be sharing the same land mass) The world map of the show makes sense in reference to the cultures because, while Japan is the only island nation that they took influence from, China, Tibet, and the Inuits are spread very far apart across Asia. Unlike Europe, where the land mass is much smaller.
>>
File: 355.png?v=1485681240.png (396KB, 1990x1171px) Image search: [Google]
355.png?v=1485681240.png
396KB, 1990x1171px
>>94202559
I like that idea. If we have the Roman Empire already, Egypt was pretty important to it historically.

Earth Kingdom would be Celtics and Germanic with a couple of French nobles who traded their loyalty to the Fire Empire in exchange for power.

Air people would be the Arabs, nomadic tribes of desert folk who can be found to the East and dotted about Northern Africa.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.