[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is it that there are so few successful attempts at making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

How is it that there are so few successful attempts at making creator-owned superheroes?

It kind of feels like independent comics are trying too hard to define themselves as "anti-Marvel/DC" by doing non-superhero stories, or if they do superhero shit, they edge it up with a bunch of gore and tits. Invincible is a good example of the former, along with just having a really stupid inconsistent tone.

Is it just a lack of confidence? Does no one think that a good superhero comic, with a steady creative team, and a long-term narrative plan (but with an ending in mind) can compete with the glitzy, loud, obnoxious "WE WILL FOREVER CHANGE THE STATUS QUO WITH THIS STORY except lol no" bullshit the big two keep pushing?

and if that's true explain my hero acadamia
>>
>>94131232
What is Hellboy and Nexus? And also The Maxx kinda
>>
>>94131232
Lack of an established shared universe, probably.
>>
>>94131232
What is Astro City?
>>
>>94131232
>How is it that there are so few successful attempts at making creator-owned superheroes?
I think you and many people read this comparison the wrong way, it's more that characters who have multiple talents tied to them absorb the good and best over time which defines them as only the select material is recommended regardless of any stinkers, characters with only one talent rely entirely on the ability of the writer and artist to carry them consistently throughout.

>It kind of feels like independent comics are trying too hard to define themselves as "anti-Marvel/DC" by doing non-superhero stories
Not all, some probably just never grew into superheroes and when they started drawing comics focused on whatever interests they have, but I get your meaning there are a few vocal writers who want to make it very known they're not disinterested but have a dislike for Marvel, DC and superheroes for whatever reason.

>Is it just a lack of confidence?
More a lack of presence due to the fact a lot of ideas have already been done.
>Does no one think that a good superhero comic, with a steady creative team, and a long-term narrative plan (but with an ending in mind) can compete with the glitzy, loud, obnoxious "WE WILL FOREVER CHANGE THE STATUS QUO WITH THIS STORY except lol no" bullshit the big two keep pushing?
Not really. It probably just seems safer or more profitable to take those ideas to Marvel and DC so the exposure and payout is worth it.
>>
File: 59819_s0.jpg (60KB, 900x897px) Image search: [Google]
59819_s0.jpg
60KB, 900x897px
>>94131411
Astro City is a great comic, but I'm not sure how successful it is

>>94131327
Hellboy strikes me as more a pulp horror adventure guy than a superhero. I know the distinction might seem weird, but I'm thinking "Weirdos in crazy costumes who beat up criminals"
>>
What is...
>The Badger
>Invincible
>The Tick
>>
>>94131232
There are several successfull indy superheroes.
The problem is just that many stories wrapp up or readers loose interest.

Spawn, cyberforce, Witchblade, the darkness, stormwatch, wildcats, gen13, authority, hellboy, the ghost, the maxx, invincible, tarot, empowered, jupiters circe, the boys the valiant universe.

Guess mostly the problem is that the big two have more money to compensate loss, failures, mismanagement better. And they produce so many superheroes that the appearance is that there are many successfull ones.

There was once a time NewWarriors at Marvel or Legion of Superheroes at dc was the shit. But now you can say they are forgotten.
>>
>>94131494
>Hellboy strikes me as more a pulp horror adventure guy than a superhero.
Its more the dr. strange or punisher kind of super hero.
>>
>>94131232
You might want to check out Dynamite's Gold Key books. Although I have no idea how the continuity is supposed to work with them.
>>
Independent series come and go because authors get bored or burnt out working on the same thing for years. This is why manga typically have an actual ending, and the ones that don't suffer from "hiatuses" more and more as the series goes on. Only an autist can keep working on the same crap forever.

Mainstream heroes have the benefit of new teams working on them any time the publisher wants, sometimes with actual new ideas or perspectives to bring to the table, which keeps them in the spotlight perpetually.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.