[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I remember SDCC used to be fodder for months-long announcements

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: sdcc-logo1.jpg (46KB, 580x580px) Image search: [Google]
sdcc-logo1.jpg
46KB, 580x580px
I remember SDCC used to be fodder for months-long announcements discussion as recently as five years ago. Big Two unloaded buckets of new series, Image held their Expo with 20-30 series from deserting big two writers, a few interesting projects from other companies - there always some shit to make a thread for a have a nice evening with.

What the fuck happened?
>>
>>94123783
Not memeing but the big two going to shit happened.

Yes DC has fixed it's problems and is on the right track after the mess of DCyou, but I think other long time readers are suffering from fatigue.

And as for marvel, they stopped telling quality stories and instead turned to SJW political commentary. Maybe they get good reviews and applauded by the sjw bloggers, but their main crowd was alienated. I dropped Marvel just after marvel now happened due to the amount of stupid political commentary, and also the fact the writing was turning stupid.

No one cares trusts the big two to tell quality stories, look at the DC event metal for example. They build it up to be this huge thing but it'll just be another shitty event they same way they built up "Night of the monster men" which was a total disappointment. DC is handing the current climate better than Marvel, but the quality of their storytelling is letting them down.
>>
>>94123783
Ignore >>94123885. The problem with SDCC as a whole is the shift in the convention's primary focus from comic books and comics-based properties and spin-offs to a general pop-culture focus, regardless of origin.

Remember how many people complained about Twilight getting a Hall H panel despite not having anything to do with comic books? Look at us now.
>>
>>94123783
Wow it's almost like comics are dying or something
>>
>>94123916
This. If you look at any of the "comic con"s from across the country it becomes even more apparent. Entire lists of "celebrities" from 80s and 90s television with no connection to comics at all, not even adaptive properties. Mostly just people that were C to D to Z listers even 30 years ago. It's partly pathetic and partly, genuinely, sad. When you see semi-retarded 40 year olds paying cash to get a autograph from a guy they could meet in a local bar simply because they used to see him on TV after school, you know you've reached peak pathetic behavior.

Rhode Island CC has fucking wrestlers and principal belding. I legitimately hope the venue loses power the night before and doesn't come back all weekend.

Walking Dead, too, helped ruined Comic Con once and for all. Being that nobody gives a fuck about the comics but its the biggest show on TV (which poor people still watch... which is why Flash is all minorities and well liked by the former UPN audience). Poor people love to show up and throw hundreds of dollars to stand in front of JDM or Daryl and prove their autistic to them.

It has nothing to do with "comics dying". They aren't. The Big 2 are dying.
>>
>>94123783
Ignore >>94123916

Pay attention to >>94123885 and >>94123930

Comics are dying; and they die faster when you alienate your entire audience and target a new audience that doesn't ACTUALLY buy comics; they just like to say "I'm a nerd teehee Harley Quinn is so cool"
>>
>>94124170
>Comics aren't dying

HRMMMMMMMMMM
>>
>>94124170
>comics aren't dying it's the two companies that sell most of the comics that are dying
>>
>>94124206
This
>>
>>94124186
They aren't. The Big 2 are dying. Which I notice you didn't include in your greentext.
>>
>>94124206
Physical media is dying you faggot fucks. All across the spectrum. Newspapers, magazines, music, movies: people buy the shit online, subscribe, or steal it.

The third group contributes to the "death" but for the vast majority of comic makers the industry isn't dying.

A newspaper going out of business doesn't mean news is dying.
>>
File: tmp_3423-1469689609467-297831885.jpg (451KB, 4040x626px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_3423-1469689609467-297831885.jpg
451KB, 4040x626px
I've said this before, that I think that the comic book industry and fandom is in the second to last panel here. And I'm just wondering what's next for us. Once the mythic symbols of our culture have been completely gutted and mutilated into something else entirely (which they already have) how do we move on? These characters have come to represent American values for decades, and now they dont even resemble themselves anymore. Batman, Superman, AND Wonder Woman are all murderers now! And I'm just sitting here wondering not how we got here, rather how we move on?
>>
>>94124206
raina telgemeier does just fine without the big two and bookstore sales are geared towards kids and non big two shit

>>94124244
Graphic novel sales were the only form of print that actually grew last year
>>
>>94124958
>Graphic novel sales were the only form of print that actually grew last year

I didn't even know that to be honest. There's something about books it seems that makes people still like to hold them. Regular prose books are staving off the death spiral better than other print media as well.

Floppies may be dying and I hate that fact, I buy them weekly. But hearing "comics are dying" is grating. They aren't. Sequential picture stories have had a place in media for thousands of years. Two corporate companies saying everythign is crashing down because they can't make their shareholders happy is hardly signs of such a communications staple "failing".
>>
Comic books are dying. DC and Marvel are both dependent on nostalgia and TV synergy for their comics. DC is pandering to reddit, while Marvel is pandering to Tumblr.
>>
>>94125331
Who is pandering to us then?
>>
>>94125481
DC is. The faggot you replied to doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Especially because tumblr, while definitely full of faggots, is NOWHERE near as influential on Marvel as twitter is.

Black twitter is the reason Marvel is in the shitter it's currently in.

Also, comics aren't dying.
>>
>>94124179
No only Marvel comics are dying. The graphic novel and trade market is increasing year to year
>>
Just as the WWF became the WWE, comic conventions should change their name to entertainment conventions a la the SDEC.
>>
>>94124170
>fucking wrestlers

Wrestlers have been at cons for at least two decades. This is not new.

>>94123783

OP, /co/ has finally felt the influx of shitposting from places like /tv/, and more recently /v/. As much as I hate to admit this as /co/ has been my home board since its creation, but /co/ is finally getting worse. And it's not tumblr or that crowd. It's the tryhards and shitposters complaining about tumblr that are the problem. /co/ is a generally polite place, and the people who come to 4chan "because it's where they can call everyone nigger faggots without consequence" don't get that. They see people treating each other cordially and think we're trying to make some kind of safe space. There have even started to be Calvin and Hobbes shitposting threads in the last year. It's gotten that bad.
>>
>>94124683
>doesn't realized the deconstruction of heroes is the only thing that kept them alive and un any way relevant
>>
>>94125718
I didn't say it was new. I said it was shit.
>>
>>94125058
Cause people still like having libraries, look at shelf threads. And a physical book is a nice thing to hold. But a big part is vanity. You like to show off your collection. The same is with music and movies. Youtube is filled with channel where they sit infront of a huge wall of bluerays or dvds and talk about movies
>>
>>94124683
See Sports, Vidya, Movies, Music, Science, History...
This happens with everything. The NFL decided it wanted the Breast Cancer supporters in pink uniforms and then Domestic Violence became an epidemic needing treatment. Video games were for neckbeards, weabs and virgins until women wanted to play then they needed to purge tits and ass and include queers in every game. Also started perma-banning people for shit talk. Women start to see cape flicks and action flicks they all need a stronk female in them now and they need to have brown people. Music, any good music, is always bastardized when the band has to play for a female audience and starts making similar sounding poop songs the sluts can dance to.

Science has become "sure, you may be better and smarter than her but girls do STEM to so she gets the grant." History has become "sure men fought all those wars but who made the flags and cheated on the husbands when they were gone."

>>94125718
And I love when faggots like this, likely some fat bitch nobody would ever look at, decide that /co/ was the perfect place for her even though that description is absolute dogshit

Faggots have always been here, so have try hards, /pol/ and /tv/ have nothing to do with it. People are just fed up with the way "nerd culture" has been co-opted by a bunch of people that dont care about it. /co/ is the last place for those edgy fucks to post so they can only come here now. Where as faggots with easily digestible opinions and POVs can go to twitter, reddit, tumblr, any fucking blog site and share your sanitized faggot ass opinions.

I've been here at least as long as you but since you think you're morally superior to others you try sitting here acting like some kind of fucking gate-keeper.

Nobody cares about you or your opinion. Just as you and nobody else cares about mine. That's what this place has become. The last bastion for people who have opinions others either don't want to hear or will flat out demonize you for.
>>
>>94125957
You forgot to take tour meds today
>>
>>94125957
>Faggots have always been here
>so have try hards

Well, you would know best.
>>
>>94126014
So funny man. Great reply. I don't take meds, and don't need them.

>inb4 no seriously man you need to get some meds

I pray you aren't the "this place used to be cordial" anon. Because responding to somebody that they need to take their meds is no different that calling a angry black man a stupid nigger or a angry gay person an emotional faggot.

And this is the main problem with society, and the type of faggots who say "back to /pol". You think you have a moral high ground and yet you display the same faults and employ the same tactics as those you bitch about.
>>
>>94126060
>>94126060
this is a samefag.

they won't post the screenshot to prove me wrong.
>>
>>94125058
There is a tactile experience to reading, and I think it's especially present in comics and picture books. Print media isn't "dying" but it is transforming into something more of a luxury item. Digital distribution (and storage) is just that more efficient, so most of a person's books will be digital, but they'll have a small collection of the stuff they really like in print form.

I used to think that comics upscaling their print quality in the 80s and 90s was a mistake, and that they should have stuck with newsprint, but I'm realizing now that they were just ahead of their time.
>>
>>94126077
>link the same post twice
>call it same fag
kek
>>
File: got me again, flash.png (35KB, 739x235px) Image search: [Google]
got me again, flash.png
35KB, 739x235px
>>94126077
>>
>>94126066
You are just getting angry over nothing. I don't think 4chan needs to be a safe space but angry retards like you just add nothing to the coversation. That's why this board is better at night when amerifats are in bed.
>>
File: icv2-comichron-2016.jpg (226KB, 600x1915px) Image search: [Google]
icv2-comichron-2016.jpg
226KB, 600x1915px
>>94123930
They arent. But the way people buy is changing. Profits from bookstores and GNs are growing, certainly faster than dedicated comic stores and floppies.
>>
Laughing at all the "comics/big 2 are dying." That's a discussion for a different day, because that has nothing to do with why they aren't doing announcements at Comic Con. Are Nintendo/video games dying because E3 announcements have gradually become less important over the years? No, the reason we don't get Announcementpalooza at any kinds of cons anymore is because of the internet and companies learning how to use it and realizing it's far better to have a steady stream of announcements throughout the year rather than trying to compete with hundreds of other announcements to the point that much of your work gets drowned out in the sea of news.
>>
>>94126162
What have you added to the conversation?
>>
>>94123783
>What the fuck happened?
It went from being a comic convention to becoming a normie pop culture convention.
>>
>>94124958
>Graphic novel sales were the only form of print that actually grew last year

Citation needed
>>
>>94125331
>>94124179
>It's a "Comics are dying XD" post

Pathetic
>>
>>94125555
>DC is
Rebirth is as reddit as MCU.
>>
>>94128747
I disagree.

But I'm sure you hate superman at the moment so I really don't give a fuck about you or your opinion. You have shit taste, your parents were probably degenerates, and I hope you one day find a family that can accept you without it being a gaggle of drug addled faggots.
>>
SDCC had always been a nerd pop culture con, Star Wars debuted their trailer there (pic related), Star Trek had panels there since the 70's, and there were stuff for animation, table top games and later on video games.

A combination of Twilight bringing a lot of press attention to it, Hollywood, and corporations using it to announce and promote themselves, plus normies and trend followers is part of what has ruined it for other people.

There is still the Eisners and other comic related events inside the con if you know where to look, the souvenir book that they give everyone who attends is still very comic focused (and this year the book cover was a tribute to Jack Kirby and it had articles about him).

Yeah retailers aren't selling much at cons but as a whole that is a problem that goes beyond comic conventions, comics not being as popular, and the times changing. It used to be that in SDCC (which has always been the most popular con) it was the only place to meet a comic creator, communicate with them, get autograph and comissions and get network and get noticed if you wanted to work at the comic industry.

Nowadays you don't need to go to a con to do all that, and comic creators go to other thousands of cons besides SDCC so it's not a priority for fans or comic people to go.

You can have a good time at SDCC depending on what you want and where to look and you don't even need a badge. Go to the Chuck Jones Gallery at the Gaslamp which has free events, and at all those little venues around it that have comic oriented meetings and hotels with rented spaces for the retailers and other comic artist who couldn't make it to the exhibit hall or wanted to avoid it and capitalize on the popularity of the con.

Or you can avoid SDCC and just go to any other small local con

>>94124179
Comics have been dying since the 90's big whoop

>>94124170
C-list celebrities have always been at cons since the 90's.

>>94124186
>>
>>94123783
The big bang theory and cape moves have a lot to do with it. It changed from NEETs to people wanting to get into comics to people who didn't give a shit about comics. They caused "lol so nerdy XD" which is why you see camewhores more than geeks, if you pin it on marvel and DC getting worse they also make most money on the moives now and had to focus about them
>>
Marvel doesn't give its comics much priority anymore at the cons they attens. Their booth in SDCC and NYCC are a fucking mess with people trying to squeeze in like packed sardines just to get a glimpse of the latest Marvel celeb, get freebies, or just watch cosplay contests and people having dance offs on stage.

Besides thay they sell merch and promote their movies and tv, and have a little sad table on the side for comic signing (and at times people just get there to take pictures of the celebrities in the main stage and they get kicked out, lol).

DC also gives a lot of attention to their tv/movie stuff but since the WB has their own booth it cuts them some slack from all the celeb stuff and they can focus more on their comics.

They also bring comic artists to draw for the crowd and project said drawings for them as the artist talk about them. They then give away said drawings away to whoever answers their comic trivia correctly and give away some of their comic books. They have three tables for signing or for free sketches and while their talent is at their booth they announce it on their screens.

They also have displays of what they'll sell in the future in stores or online (but they don't sell merch at the booths).

Besides that they have a small MAD Magazine section (although this year's theme would have triggered people).
>>
>>94129524
>>94128709
>>94124179
>>94123885
comics are actually one of the few print industries still growing in the 21st century and just broke 1billion last year.

You guys are fucking idiots, I swaer to god.

http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html

It took one single google search but instead you guys chose to just spew shit out of your asses. The fact that you guys operate like this shows how fucked your entire system of thinking is.
>>
>>94129638
They gave me a BBT bag, I'm still disappointed
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.