[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't Superman do shit like this anymore? When did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: actioncomics_1.jpg (187KB, 618x950px) Image search: [Google]
actioncomics_1.jpg
187KB, 618x950px
Why doesn't Superman do shit like this anymore? When did he stop being a crime fighter and become a protector? Why can't he be depicted like that again?
>>
>>94076244
Because fans would be pissed that he is "acting like a douche".
>>
>>94076244
>>94076393

Part of it is a slightly greater awareness of the way the law works. A confession coerced like that may not stand up in court.

Similarly, there's also the possibility of cringiness, and of course sympathy with people who seem like criminals.

I doubt anyone would like it if he were to, say, try to get a certain president to release his tax returns on pain of being tossed off a balcony. Or if he were to try to defend something that isn't seen as an issue by the person who's reading, like if he were to try to stop minutemen patrols on the border or protect some gay person from being attacked by a bunch of homophobes.
>>
>>94076607
It's a leftist writer on his soap box so you shouldn't be surprised
>>
Superman should only be written by populists.
>>
>>94076643
That's literally what the original Siegel and Shuster series was though.
>>
>>94076643

I suppose not, I'm sure people can come up with conservative ways of crime fighting that SUperman can do that would be piss off liberals. Like if he were to patrol the border, snatch up people, and take them back to their home countries.

While certainly most conservatives would see that as 100% good, others may see it as bad... given what those people were running away from (at times). So then the writer runs of the risk of either making Superman be myopic "borders must be respected and they have to stay on their side, even if they're killed", or they could then have him start trying to clean up, say, Mexico by himself.

And even if you do something a bit more simply good - like beating up the fictional equivalent of the KKK/Taliban/ISIS - he still has to deal with the root cause or else risk looking like the Champions when they went to Pakistan... He beats some people up, leaves, and then the bad people can do things again.

It becomes complicated really quickly... and there's a reason it's generally slowed during the Silver Age.
>>
>>94076607

Ahh, so it's a matter of a slippery slope. If he beats up on someone who isn't paying their employees, then it will be easier to smash up a Klan rally or intervene in riots, etc. until he's become an actual force in American lives.

Come to think of it, that's probably how President Superman built his constituency. He does display a disconcerting god complex in the Sholly Fisch backup, that it looks like was dropped by Tomasi in the recent team-up with Multiverse Supermen.
>>
>>94076752

Like, Siegel and Shuster trapped a mine-boss in his own mine and forced him to free himself because he didn't pay his employees enough and smashed up their union rallies.

Oh, and he put a wife-beater through a brick wall, which is something that Morrison took with him in the reboot. If memory serves, the wife beater is now the Kryptonite Man.
>>
>>94076680
But superman is literally a child refugee whose home got rekt so now he's leeching off of america
>>
>>94077019

Shut up, Lex. You're supposed to be a good guy now.
>>
>>94077019
What does Clark Kent write about? Like originally? I feel like he never really played sports in middle and highschool, but probably was team manager for a few teams and maybe kept stats for the football team. So Sports writer who then gets shifted over to politics and whatever Lois does because he's charismatic and a guy you can shoot any kind of shit with and basically is the good cop to Lois' more agressive, old style reporting. Like him being a meat-head sports writer who never played sports would help a ton with the cover story.
>>
>>94077200

Lois is an investigative journalist. That's how she gets into shit and needs Clark to intervene.
>>
>>94077272
I could never imagine him being investigative first thing. I'd think that Clark would be the guy who was the guy who's voiced cracked during a college radio broadcast when the Jayhawks pulled one out of hat. Like for an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlgN85wB6U Huge sports nerd is the only way I could see him getting into some place held in high regard like the Planet. Probably why Jimmy would instantly befriend him, is pulling up something like that as a joke.
>>
>>94077506

Last I recall, he does 'local flair' stories that touch on ordinary people's lives which gives them an opportunity to shine. Which, come on, is a very Superman thing to do.
>>
>>94077571

yeah also Steve Lombard does the sports. c'mon guys
>>
>>94077571
That actually makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>94077019
Someone post rhe Hitman page for this faggot.
>>
File: hm034 15.jpg (307KB, 819x1177px) Image search: [Google]
hm034 15.jpg
307KB, 819x1177px
>>94077019
>>94077768
Still my favorite page in all of comics.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.