[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are kids suppose to think Clopin is a villain? Because singing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

Are kids suppose to think Clopin is a villain? Because singing while you're killing the good guys is a really villainous thing to do.
>>
>>94072170
was clopin a villain? I just thought he was hot
>>
>>94072170
I hope they do a live action remake of this
Based on the play
>>
>>94074316
there's a musical based on the play where they used the disney songs, if you're interested
>>
>>94074909
Yeah that's what I was referring to. Not as faithful to the novel as I'd like, but for a Disney version it'll work well
>>
>google who the fuck Clopin is
You mean the NARRATOR? Are kids supposed to think the fucking narrator is the villain? No, I think kids are not that stupid.
>>
>>94074909
Im interested please tell me more
>>
>>94072170
I found him highly disturbing as a kid, much more so than Frollo. You have this omniscient narrator addressing the audience, making jokes, being sort of nice to the protagonists, and suddenly he's in a dark cave trying to kill them for shit and giggles.
>>
>>94075022
I don't know, he was pretty damn aggro when the hero and Phoebus went into the Court of Miracles. And he was kind of a dick during the Festival of Fools. Clopin never really struck me as a very nice guy, but I did like his singing so not all bad.
>>
>>94075191
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VGov1MFX_g&list=PLp37iovrtUSGmgQGXVo1b_Srm-aU0rlPe
>>
>>94072170

Not so villainous because although he does some bad stuff, he's also entertaining and does help the protagonists.

Basically kind of amoral trickster comedy character. Like Bender from Futurama.
>>
The book is really pretty dark and I think stuff like this comes over from their attempt to adapt it to a lighter story.
>>
File: clopin.png (753KB, 1070x572px) Image search: [Google]
clopin.png
753KB, 1070x572px
His character as well as the Court of Miracles make the gypsies more than just the poor oppressed folk. They pretended to be blind or maimed to get more money begging and they delighted in a public execution.

I had the same thought when I was a kid, that it's strange to depict the supposed oppressed good guys doing terrible things. But I think that was the point, to show that everyone is capable of great evil and that even the villain, despite how terrible he was, could have reasons for hating a group of people the way he did.
>>
>>94075191
>>94076978
Better yet
https://youtu.be/gNYUdVFRDXE
>>
>>94072170
He was basically a wildcard in the movie. There was a deleted duet between Pheobus and Esmeralda in the court of miracles where Clopin tries to cheer Quasimodo up. But this was after he tried to hang Quasimodo and Pheobus for laughs.

In the play, he was less wacky and more like a crimelord, but he honestly did care about the gypsies.
>>
>>94072170
You should introduce your kids to the concept of morality being more than just black-and-white someday anon.
>>
>>94078484
Okay I didn't know about this but it is fucking kino
>>
He taught us all a valuable lesson: never trust gypsies.
>>
>>94079555
Its pretty fuckin great

And the ending is much better than the movie.
>>
>>94079728
>Its pretty fuckin great

*It's pretty fuckin' great
>>
>>94072306
He is hot, isn't he? It's weird. Nothing about him screams hot, and yet I still get very homo feelings about him.

>>94078484
Neat! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea this existed.
>>
I don't know, I always thought he was the coolest character though. Now I realize that he got me into liking harlequins and clowns and circus related aesthetics.
>>
>>94081669
>It's pretty fuckin' great
It's pretty fuckin' great.
>>
>>94078442
Also, it's not like gypsies were the nicest people in Europe at the time.
Hell, they still aren't.
>>
>>94083120
Don't you pick on them.
>>
>>94072170
There's a version of this movie that removes the Gargoyles if anyone is interested in watching it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_8iU2zi5GUtZjJkMmJDcGp1alk/view
>>
>>94078484
I honestly wouldn't mind a live action remake if they used the musical as the base, I loved the movie and the musical surpassed it in just about every way.
>>
>>94086221
Thats really what I'm hoping for.

But I'm afraid its too dark. Hell, thats basically the reason it didn't go on to broadway.

But yeah, heres hoping if they do remake Hunchback, they base it off the play.

At the very least, Quasimodo's last solo needs to be in, its so good
>>
>>94086221
I wonder how it could work though.

I guess a lot of the exposition songs would get removed, they might be somewhat necessary on an stage with abstraction, but in a straight up movie, they'd just be redundant. Especially with scenes like Quasimodo throwing Frollo off the tower
>>
>>94081794
yeah he's pretty fucking hot, to me it's the voice and the flamboyant behavior, they just do it for me, plus I love guys that can sing
>>
>>94086271
Yeah, I don't think Disney would ever get away with Esmeralda dying, which in turn would mean the finale songs had no real reason to be there

>>94087803
>Yes you do...
>>
>>94088137
I mean, I think they COULD get away with it.

They'd just have to have the balls to make it a pg13 movie, which honestly the Hunchback of Notre Dame SHOULD be at the very least.

They've done plenty of PG13 live action movies, so I think they could do it.
>>
>>94088272
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n8XTrDEvXs
>>
>>94088137
If they did, I wonder how they'd do the last part.

Would the characters literally smear dirt on their faces? Or would they skip that part.
>>
>ballsy Hunchback of Disney remake
Dungeon monologue when?
>>
>>94088272
I mean they could rating wise, the problem is if Disney themselves would be willing to make such an uncharacteristically tragic ending.

I could see them going through with all the other revisions, humanizing Frollo, making Quasi deaf, etc. But disney is kinda known for "happily ever after," ending one of their movies with Quasi mourning Esmeralda with the someday reprise seems way too far out of their comfort zone.
>>
SING THE BELLS BELLS BELLS BELLS BELLS BELLS BELLS BELLS BEEEEEEELLS OF NOTRE DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>94088457
I think if they played up the "Quasi is accepted by the people" bit at the end, I think that would make it uplifting enough for them to get away with it.

I mean theres no way in hell the "Quasi sees everyone is as ugly as he is and goes to die alone" ending would fly.
>>
>>94078442
To be fair, it's not like they were going to get hired anywhere.
>>
>>94088487
WHATEVER THEIR PITCH YOU CAN FEEL THEM BEWITCH YOU THE RICH AND THE RITUAL KNELLLLLLS
>>
Am I weeby for wanting to find the cast recording of the japanese cast? They adapted the recent version of the show to japanese. I found an album for it, but it was like 30 fuckin bucks not including shipping
>>
>>94088542
As much as I want to believe it is just impossible for me to see them green lighting the death of the main female character.

I mean, despite everything the original disney hunchback was already extremely dark by disney's standards for tackling subjects like deformity, racism, genocide, and religion; making it even darker and people wouldn't even believe it was a disney film.
>>
>>94088886
I'm kinda 50/50 on it. I feel they COULD but I'm not sure they will.

Time will tell I guess.
>>
>>94088909
If they do, it will without question be the last of the remakes, the "well boys, It's pretty much over, time to go out with a bang."
>>
>>94088017
then again, actually, I'm specifically referring to the italian dub, so I have no idea how he sounds in english
>>
>>94089015
I think it could be the greatest of the remakes potentially.

I know its the only one I really HOPE they do
>>
>>94088542
>>94088457
Guys Disney would be remaking THEIR interpretation of HoND. That one has everyone except Frollo surviving the story.
>>
>>94088763
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya7XZhxDNI8
>>
>>94089189
Beauty and the Beast took elements from the stage play.

And the theatrical version is THEIR interpretation.
It was an official disney production with Alan Menkin directing the music. Its as official as Lion King or Beauty and the Beast's shows.
>>
>>94089191
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRneQfmcQZw
>>
>>94078484
This is clearly fake - Esmeralda isn't saying "A week ago I was a barista" every 10 minutes.
>>
>>94089520
What?
>>
>>94089548
The actress playing Esmeralda is Ciara Renée, also noted for being Hawkgirl in the Arrowverse - and whining that she feels overwhelmed due to being a former barista in literally more than half of the episodes she appeared in.
>>
>>94089191
That seems like a pretty high quality production, I didn't know Hunchback was popular in Japan
>>
>>94089050
>I think it could be the greatest of the remakes potentially
Without a question, the musical alone already is an extremely strong base to work off of, with Disney's average budget they could easily make an absolute masterpiece.
That is assuming they'd finally learn to cast singers in singing roles rather than just famous actors who can't sing worth shit, a la Les Miserables
And so long as they don't cast fucking Emma Watson
>>
>>94090109
I mean who would Emma be? If they tried to make her Esmeralda, that would be a huge shitstorm.

But yeah, they need to get actual singers to do the roles, especially Quasimodo.

I would say Micheal arden, but he says hes basically done with the role. Though a movie is a lot different than doing another stage run
>>
>>94072170

He honestly came off as a trickster anti-villain.
I always thought he was suspicious even when he began his narration/puppet show.

Hell maybe the puppet show was meant to represent his manipulative-ness.
>>
>>94090109
Well about half the cast of Beauty and the Beast could sing.
Gaston was the best part of the movie, Ewan McGregor did a pretty great job as in Be our Guest, Lefou did a good job.

Really Emma was the only truly weak singer, and she was still okay, nothing like Les Mis's singers like Amanda Seyfried or Russel Crowe
>>
File: 1234312412343.jpg (226KB, 1162x751px) Image search: [Google]
1234312412343.jpg
226KB, 1162x751px
>>94090282
>Russel Crowe
Seriously, the fuck was running through their heads when they hired Russell Crowe to play the second most important character in the musical?
>>
>>94091065
It really is a mystery.

Though they gutted his last soliloquy so its just as well.
>>
File: 1485925231794.gif (449KB, 223x400px) Image search: [Google]
1485925231794.gif
449KB, 223x400px
>>94074316
I keep saying this. If they did a live action movie of the amazing Musical I went to see I wouldn't be able to throw my money away fast enough. I only hope that the version would either get rid of those gargoyls or make the ending more faithful. Or better yet, both.
>>
>>94090282
Seyfried was okay doing ABBA songs.
>>
>>94091298
The gargoyles really did ruin the movie, if there's only one thing they take from the musical, let it be the plaster saints
>>
>>94091298
>gargoyls
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.