[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can the Avatar learn specialized techniques like metalbending,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

File: 1500621556151.png (64KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
1500621556151.png
64KB, 333x250px
Can the Avatar learn specialized techniques like metalbending, combustionbending, lightningbending, and bloodbending?
>>
>>94061021
Yeah but s/he never bothers too because theres a World ending event going on that they have to stop.
>>
>>94061021
I would think they would want to learn that after the fight, to pass the knowledge on to the next in line and make their world-ending event easier.
>>
>>94061021
The first second and fourth are just extensions of normal bending, so yes. The third might be possible.
>>
File: sex-doll-nut-cracker-1235882.gif (2MB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
sex-doll-nut-cracker-1235882.gif
2MB, 400x240px
>>94061021
What would it be like to stick your dick in his third eye?
>>
>>94061066
It's literally just a tattoo that lets him combust.
>>
why wouldn't they be able to?
>>
>>94061066
>You'll never become so successful in the artworld that you can make an installation out of goofy visual gag you thought up one day
>>
>>94061103
jack of all trades, master of none
>>
>>94061021
>Can the Avatar learn specialized techniques like metalbending, combustionbending, lightningbending, and bloodbending?

We already know they can. Korra learned Metalbending from Suyin Beifong. Wouldn't be surprised if Roku knew how to generate lighting seeing as he came from Fire Nation aristocracy and was close to the royal family for decades.

Combustion may be a bit of a long-stretch as it's only appeared in two people, ever. And Bloodbending is still a fairly recent innovation in relation to the existence of Bending as a whole.

But yeah, Metal Bending, Combustion, generating Lightning, Blood Bending and Lava Bending all should theoretically be accessible skills for the Avatar. There's literally no reason why they shouldn't be.
>>
>>94061156
>master of none
Airbenders used to get those tattoos for a reason, airbender Avatars are included in that lineup. And you no longer need to know yourself and be precise to be able to shoot lightning like back before and during ATLA.
>>
File: tumblr_m83y6ooLbJ1qenqrwo1_500.gif (495KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m83y6ooLbJ1qenqrwo1_500.gif
495KB, 500x309px
>korra never learned how to do this
>>
>>94061021
Probably, it's just a question of if it's worth spending the time to learn.

And the answer is "yes", because in many cases it took the characters like a few hours to learn.
>>
>>94061299
Was there ever an explanation on what this was? Just advanced compressed air bending... shot from his head? This was such a weird mercenary to think of then send after the Gaang.
>>
File: heat ray.jpg (27KB, 334x422px) Image search: [Google]
heat ray.jpg
27KB, 334x422px
>>94061401
I think it was a really powerful infrared beam, like from War of the Worlds.
>>
>>94061401

The show's creators said that he was a fire bender and that the reason that he had artificial limbs was that he accidentally blew himself up while he was learning to use his powers. They didn't really give him much of a backstory beyond that.
>>
>>94061021
Special bending techniques exist to keep side characters and one-off villains relevant, so no.
>>
What was even the point of genociding the air nomads? The avatar would just be reborn as an earth kingdom citizen.
>>
>>94061557
To eliminate the cycle by having no airbenders for an avatar to be born into.
>>
>>94061557

They seemed to be primarily going after airbenders and waterbenders because those would have been the next two incarnations of the Avatar cycle. After the airbenders were gone, they were capturing waterbenders (like Hama) or outright killing suspected waterbenders (Katara's mother).
>>
>>94061611
>capture hama
>she escapes
>kill future waterbenders because of that
nice going Hama
>>
I always got the impression that combustion bending was something that you had to be born with. The fact the P'li was kidnapped by a Warlord for her powers supports this.
>>
Does anyone actually studied bending in this universe?
Whats the smallest piece a bender could bend?
Can they bend atoms? Wich atoms do airbender bend, wich atoms do earth bender bend?
I want answers
>>
The knowledge of combustion bending must have been lost after Sparky died.
>>
>>94062233

Toph seemed to be able to "see" small particles of earth in metal and was able to bend it. There was a scene with her at the end of Season 2 after she had been captured and was locked in a metal container and she discovered metalbending.
>>
>>94062233
Firebender bend protons to take them to a higher state of energy
then the energy gets released in form of heat and light
>>
>>94062293
I wouldn't say it was particles, more impurity of metal. If the cage was cheap wrought iron, then it's believable that the slag left behind would be used to bend the metal.
>>
>>94062450
so they can't actually bend metal?
>>
>>94062480
Chemistry is wonky in the Avatar universe considering metals are earth elements and most earth has chunks of metal or metallic elements in its composition.

But no, not sufficiently processed metals or "pure" metal like platinum. I probably has something to do with a sufficiently homogeneous smelt or billet having no "Free particles" to drag in a direction opposite the metal's composition.

Like how a waterbender can bend trees but not processed rubber.
>>
>>94062480
>so they can't actually bend metal?

I think Toph became so good at bending offscreen that she would actually bend metal, but for the most part, metalbenders aren't actually bending the metal itself, just the impure elements of it.

That's why making shit out of platinum becomes popular for the villains. It's the "super pure" metal for the Avatar universe.
>>
>>94062247
Um, did you watch Korra?
>>
>>94062530
>water is in nearly everything
are waterbenders the most powerfull?
>>
>>94062564
>water is in nearly everything
>air is everywhere except places where you don't have to do anything to kill your opponent
>fire can be produced at will
>90% of all solid objects are some form of earth
In practice, Water and Earth benders who aren't Toph/Katara tier are the easiest to nullify.
>>
>>94061156
>...but oftentimes better than a master of one
It's literally what avatar should be
>>
>>94062543
No I haven't, but thanks for spoiling it for me
>>
>>94061149
Nepotism pays.
>>
>>94061299
>Literally the Megumin of /co/
>>
File: P'Li_fires_a_combustion_beam.png (76KB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
P'Li_fires_a_combustion_beam.png
76KB, 444x250px
>>94063283
>implying
>>
>>94061557
>>94061611
The plan was to wipe out as many Airbenders as they could during the Comet and try to kill the Avatar in the process. As well as draw out any survivors and slaughter them as well. At the very least this would give the Fire Nation at least a decade before the next Avatar was even ready to fight.

The second part was to wipe out the Southern Water Tribe and capturing their waterbenders. Not only did this severely weakened the Southern Tribe but due to the Northern's Tribe's isolationist tendencies it also made the Earth Kingdom the Fire Nation's only real remaining enemy.

Now since no one even knew about the Swambenders, they believed that Avatar could either be born at the North or South Poles. With the Southern Tribe in shambles they would be easy pickings if born there, and if they were born in the North instead, they wouldn't be able to get an Earthbending master to train them there.

The Earth Kingdom is just too vast for the Fire Nation to completely wipe out like the Air Nomads or Southern Water Tribe. But thats the beauty of the colonies. The more of the Earth Kingdom they conquered the better chance an Earth Avatar would be born in Fire Nation controlled territory. And even if they weren't, they would still be deprived of an Airbending master, and most likely Water and Firebending masters as well.
>>
>>94061401
Something, something chakra points. Something, something power in the breath.
>>
>>94062233
Unfortunately, the concept of Bending in Avatar has never seemed to be of a scientific nature aside from the base rules (i.e., earth filaments in iron to Metalbend). No, it's a far more spiritual idea. The Lion-Turtle in season 3 of A:tLA extrapolated that humans bent the energy around/within them which could adhere to whatever definition of "energy" Bryke wants. Regardless, all these ideas were thrown completely out the window thanks to Korra's.
>>
>>94061440
I think it had something to do with him being injured normally, but the way he was healed ended up being fucky and giving him the combustion bending.
>>
>>94061202
>And you no longer need to know yourself and be precise to be able to shoot lightning

Nobody said this. Maybe Mako just know himself and is precise.
>>
What if Korra was born to swampbenders?
Would she be traveling the world in a loincloth and bra made out leaves?
>"I can't waterbend properly in all these layers
>*Takes off pants*
>>
>>94061522
korra literally learns to metal bend
>>
>>94063931
I feel like the turtle bits were pretty clear and consistent. The turtles unlocked the potential for humans to manipulate elements, but the actual techniques to use them effectively (ie proper bending using tai-chi, bagua, etc forms) were learned through studying natural element manipulating creatures. It's like the difference between picking up an epee or rapier and swinging it around and learning proper fencing forms to use it effectively, sure you can still cut or kill but with the right learned form it's taken to a whole new level.
>>
>>94061021
Yes on metal and lightning, korra was even learning metalbending wasn't she?
They are just advanced techniques, thats all.
>>
>>94061401
They said it was some innate problem and that the tattoos were necessary for them to focus their bending. You don't learn it, you're born with it.
>>
>>94062670
Someone already posted a gif of it in this thread

Besides, I'd say the warranty on spoilers has expired by now. Its been 3 years since that season
>>
>>94061021
I thought I heard that combustion bending required wonky chakras that block regular fire bending. So, if that were true, no, the avatar shouldn't be able to. Though it could lead to some interesting variations of the other bending forms
>>
>>94061021
Those were a lot more fun when they were rare.

Even Katara's bloodbending was a bit much. I liked how Zuko was incapable of lightning bending.

Plus, being rare and even exclusive to some remote people (like combustion man's tribe) and royalty (zuko's family) made them feel a lot more impressive and mystic. Especially if they don't show the village and keep it vague.

Metalbending being a one-girl thing was even better. I hated how they diluted it all in Korra.
>>
Does anyone have the webm of the fight in the abandoned well with Zuko and Azula and Aang? Really well choreographed.
>>
>>94065699
I mean, thats generally how it goes.

Techniques and technology is rare at first, the people who learn them are one of a kind.

But then that info dissiminates and it becomes wider spread knowledge.

And the person who figured out metal bending actively taught others how to do it.

Korra was basically the industrial age.
>>
>>94065905
I know they explain it, but
a) it felt like the transition was way too fast (although I guess it's plausible and not breaking)
b) I really liked the intemporability of A:TLA, and feel like it helped keep the show exotic and mystic. I really disliked the whole steampunk/industrial look of Korra, even if that's what they were striving for.

I still maintain that a second Avatar series should've been left ambiguous as to wether it was happening in the past or in the future in relation to A:TLA. Having it defined takes some of the magic out of it. They could've told a different story in essentially the same epoch.

Having them show how the Avatar cycle started was also a severe misstep. really liked how in Avatar the cycle had never started, and it was just left as infinite. It was too much midichlorian bullshit for me.
>>
>>94066004
Eh, if they wanted to do that, they wouldn't be able to do the industrial age vibe since clearly it would be taking place after ATLA, unless some sort of technology breakdown occurred.

I think its perfectly valid to prefer the more mystical ATLA where those skills are one of a kind instead of common place. But I did like the industrial vibe. Especially how S1 had a small Noir vibe to it
>>
>>94061053
>combustionbending
>extensions of normal bending
That's not how combustion works you little shit
>>
Best episodes besides ember island and cave of two lovers?
>>
>>94064976
This is always how I've interpreted the Lion Turtle "retcon" - one gives you the sword, the other teachers you to wield it.
>>
>>94061401
>>94061440
Compressed air+ Fire= Explosions/Combustion.

Did you know that a car is powered by explosions?
>>
>>94066033
I would've liked it if it were a different show, or if they simply doubled down in it being separate and not mention any of the Gaang and stuck to the steampunk/noir, but then they decided to leave it in, and by season two they went too much off te rails for noir and it was basically digimon with spirits, which annoyed me to no end.

S3 was pretty good, but it could've been done as a standalone in the past/future and it would've been just as good, since Korra was the worst part of it. By that time noir was out of the window.

But having it set in an undetermined time when airbenders already existed again/hadn't been destroyed would've worked just as well if not better, to show that airbenders could also be evil.

S4 was way too fanwanky as well. I hated how they made Zuko not progress anything beyond the last episode of A:TLA. He fucking told Korra to talk to Iroh just to wink at the audience, when he should've either become Iroh himself, functionally, by being able to dish great advice, or just exasperate how he was never good at giving advice and inadvertedly telling one, if they were going to have him. Shit, at least let him sip on some tea to show that he went on to become his uncle rather than his father if you want to fanwank. Don't have him learn nothing by relaying advice-seeking.

>>94066083
To be fair, every firebending should be combustionbending. Combustion man should've been called laser man, and should've been a laserbender, but it wouldn't have made sense with the "period" of A:TLA.
>>
>>94066142
Oh sure, Korra was rather flawed.

S1 and and 3 were good, 4 was meh, and 2 was a disaster.
>>
>>94066173
I just disliked how, they showed how seemingly little the creators without their writers, understood why A:TLA was good, and how much of a fanwank Korra was.

Glad they left Sokka out unscathed. Just like the prequels let Han unscathed.
>>
>>94066142
You need to compress air if you want to combustion.
>>
>>94066330
No you don't. A match is combustion. Heck, rusting is combustion. It just means "reacting with oxigen".

Combustion doesn't only happen in combustion engines.
>>
>>94061021
Don't see why they wouldn't be able to. It's more a matter of time i guess, mastering four elemetns would probably be quite time consuming, learning all the sub genres would take a long time aswell considering many of them function differently than ordinary bending. Combine that with all the other shit you can imagine an avatar doing and they don't have much time to spend on learning the sub genres.
>>
>>94064017
Hngggg
>>
>>94064976
That is the reasonable interpretation of LoK, but in the original the lion turtle implies that humanity could bend energy before they learned elemental bending, just like the lion turtle. And that doesn't work with LoKs explanation.
>>
>>94065905
That only works for certain things like metal bending since it's a knowledge issue. Once you realise that metal contains earth you can work on that and become a metal bender.

But lightning doesn't work like that according to Atla, it's also a spirtitual practice which has to be experienced and you might never get to that stage just by trying. Same thing with Zaheers flight. Airbenders knew how to do it but weren't able to replicate the effect since detachment isn't as easy as just wanting to detach.
>>
>>94061021
korra knows metalbending so yea
>>
>>94066083
Oops, got second and third mixed up. My bad.
>>
>>94065699
>combustion man's tribe
what?
>>
>>94071332
Extraneous material says combustion man comes from a clan that's born with brain laser powers, same one P'li comes from
>>
>>94061435
I don't think so. The heat rays never generated their own explosions.
>>
Does anyone have the webm of Zuko and Aang dancing with the dragons?
>>
>>94071332
>>94071446
Yeah, since there's a second one in Korra with the same markings, I sort of assumed it was a tribe of them or something.
>>
>>94061053
Not how it works.
You have to be born with the ability to metalbend, not every Earthbender can do it.
Any firebender can shoot lightning, it's just a well-guarded secret.
Combustion involves using chakras and shit, Bloodbending can be learned by any waterbender through hard work and a full moon.
>>
>>94071758
When did they say you have to be born a metal bender?

As far as i remember they just said it was really hard to learn, not an inborn skill.
>>
>>94071667
this but a webm
>>
>>94071841
The comic said so. Toph went searching for people to teach and only the ones her space metal bracelet reacted to could learn, regardless of their pre-existing skills. iirc some of them didn't even know they could bend at all.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.