[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't DC lock down a director for the flash movie? Are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

Why can't DC lock down a director for the flash movie? Are they not offering any creative control or something?
>>
>Creative control
>DC/WB

choose one
>>
>>94045698
Because it has all the signs of being a flaming bag of turds anon.
>>
File: hkj.png (409KB, 855x473px) Image search: [Google]
hkj.png
409KB, 855x473px
Probably an intimidating character to work with. I know I wouldn't want to be chosen to direct a Flash movie.

Prospective directors probably see what he's all about in Justice League and are like "I dont know how I can make this work for nearly 3 hours". I hear the show is hot garbage too.
>>
Well, there's already a degree of a lack of creative control since the design is set and (99% chance) can't be changed, no matter how much the director might beg.

Beyond that, if the script summaries that got "leaked" are of any validity, it seems that WB has no idea what to do with the movie yet will act like they're the sole gatekeepers of any idea that you come up with. So, I think they're offering the semblance of creative control, but once things actually start moving, either WB gets cold feet on the idea or they hate this or that thing that the director chooses to do that was implicit in the script.
>>
>>94045698
Warner is searching for directors who were already acclaimed for doing their own thing and have their own styles like Zach, Nolan, Affleck and Jenkins to work in copyrighted blockbusters

This is hard for big cape movies because:

1: Most of the famous directos hate this kind of movies
2: It's a already made franchise, with a already made story, which means less crearive freedom
3: Producers have full control, because it's a big movie, and it needs to make big money

The marvel movies on another hand, hired studio directors like Weldon, Russos and others who know better how to make adaptations and funny summer movies
>>
>>94047591
>>94047591
>>>94045698 (OP)
>Warner is searching for directors who were already acclaimed for doing their own thing and have their own styles

Yeah, that's why they got the guy who did Light's Out and Annabelle 2 for Shazam.
>>
>>94048026

Light's Out was a succes, but i see your point, he has a very small Filmography
>>
>>94048026
"Shazam" is being handled by New Line.
>>
Its quite the undertaking, and I dont blame directors for being reluctant to tackle it
>Has to abide by DCEU canon
>Has to not only film a super speed hero under budget, but create a narrative in which he doesnt solve everything in 3 seconds
>Has to diverge from CW material, the casuals go to introduction to Flash, trying not to do a repeat of certain plots
>>
>>94046307
How fucking dumb are you? The whole problem with MoS and BvS was they let Snyder do whatever he wants, and was the reason Wonder Woman was good.

Their whole strategy following the Nolan Batman movies was to get "auteur" directors and let them do whatever they want. They hired Ayer and Jenkins solely because they had just made highly acclaimed movies: Fury and Monster.

So I see the problems with this movie are one of two things:

1) they're having trouble finding good directors who have any interest in doing Flash

2) they're deciding to assert more creative control in order to homogenize their franchise and directors are getting frustrated
>>
>>94048026
>Lights Out was recieved well
>Annabelle 2 is being received surprisingly well, first one was terrible
>both movies feature children in a main role and we're done at New Line

It's not a mystery why New Line chose that guy for Shazam, it's pretty obvious. No different from Marvel getting the guys who did Sinister to do Doctor Strange.
>>
File: Auteur Theory.jpg (72KB, 571x730px) Image search: [Google]
Auteur Theory.jpg
72KB, 571x730px
>>94049510
They let him do that because he and his wife conceived of the DCEU and produced it.

>>94048255
This. I can't imagine what a shitshow the scripts they've had must have been.

>>94048182
>>94048026
Shazam has been "in development" at New Line since 2007; I suspect there's something more than a lack of interest holding it up.

At this stage, it might just be that they have The Rock under contract and can't afford to dump him, but also can't find space in his schedule to shoot and promote the thing.

>>94047055
Also this. Wonder Woman might change minds, but remember Jenkins has been an acclaimed director for a decade and a half, and when she argues notes from the studio she does so with experience (and critical acclaim) that a younger director might lack.

Nobody wants to cut their teeth on a thing like this, get boxed in and end up directing soap opera for forty years as a result.

>>94047309
Intimidating character is not a description I would have chosen for someone who is apparently B-list in his own superteam despite having the most broken powers of all.

Forget Injustice, Flash should be running the entire world by now in any universe where Speed Force applies.

Then again, I know I wouldn't want to be the one to have to explain the "cosmic treadmill" in on-screen dialogue or with a graphic sequence. Fuck that noise.
>>
File: 4574875-1803934718-latest.jpg (41KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
4574875-1803934718-latest.jpg
41KB, 960x540px
Cast him
>>
Well I don't know about you, but I would keep a respectable distance from anything with such a horrible costume on basic principle
>>
>>94051229
>They let him do that because he and his wife conceived of the DCEU and produced it.
That's part of it but they came after Nolan and Goyer's pitch. Snyder was approached for Man of Steel. He became executive producer and poured money into it and that's how he came to be head of the DCEU franchise, but when Man of Steel was started it wasn't explicitly meant to kickstart the film universe, though I'm sure that was the underlying belief.
>>
>>94049510
Yeah, because they let David Ayer had all the directive control he wanted
>>
>>94053765
Well, that's kind of been a big point of speculation, right? Conflicting reports on whether there was interference or not.

But I do believe, at least at the outset, Ayer was picked for his acclaim. IIRC reports of executive meddling and reshoots were later in production.

I've believed for a long time there's some fuck in WB who wants desperately to make DCEU into the MCU, specifically from Green Lantern apparently rewritten at the last minute to be more like Iron Man but that's my speculation. Who knows, maybe that's the guy who got pissed and "leaked" all that info about how Wonder Woman was a "mess"
>>
>>94053984
>Green Lantern apparently rewritten at the last minute to be more like Iron Man

False.
>>
>>94053984
wonder woman production might have been a mess with all the presure that came with bvs results, that doesnt meen it had to ended in a bad movie, and also, the last director tha was attached with Flash was really interested in doing the movie, but then again, wb didnt let him have all the directive control and decided to left
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.