[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently took a job that has me frequently interacting with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: punisher.jpg (162KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
punisher.jpg
162KB, 970x545px
I recently took a job that has me frequently interacting with veterans, which made me realize, Vietnam happened a long time ago. Is Frank still a Vietnam vet? The average age of a Vietnam veteran is around 54 years old, and that's lowballing it. I know Ennis did a run where Punisher is old as hell, but he's like 20-30 in Daredevil, and you don't usually see the Punisher depicted as an old man. Have they changed his backstory from Vietnam vet to -nondescript war- vet?
>>
He's probably a gulf war vet now or maybe some made up war
>>
MAX universe Punisher is pushing if not over 60, but 616 (or whatever they call it post-Secret Wars) Frank's backstory has been updated to make him an Afghanistan and Iraq veteran IIRC
>>
>>93972645
>Is Frank still a Vietnam vet?
MAX Frank, yes. 616 Frank, no.
>>
>>93972734
>>93972756
But isn't MAX Punisher ________dead?
>>
>>93972807

It ended with "Valley Forge, Valley Forge", anon. Don't let anyone tell you different.
>>
File: 1441777803188.jpg (24KB, 308x302px) Image search: [Google]
1441777803188.jpg
24KB, 308x302px
>>93973095
But i liked Aarons MAX run.
>>
>>93972645

he got deaged/restored to full health by the Bloodstone
>>
>>93972645
The Daredevil TV series had him as an Afghanistan War vet. I don't know what the comics what are up to, but I presume they retconned it. Didn't they retcon Tony Stark's ties to the Vietnam War as well?

>tfw the Afghanistan War started 16 years ago
>>
>>93973124

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Aaron's writing didn't do it for me, I'll admit that, but what really put me off was the art. The Frank face, man.
>>
>>93973225
I can tolerate Dillons art. Yeah he can only draw 2 faces, but it's not horrendously offensive. That and i just love watching Frank kill the shit out of daredevil villains.
>>
>>93973271
Also even if he only had two faces at least they were expressive, and Dillon was an artist with great comedic timing.
>>
>>93973201

Tony's shit actually works better with the whole endless war thing going on now actually
>>
>>93972711
that is ironic because Iraqi troups have been spotted using Punisher logo recently
>>
>>93972645
Greg Rucka very quietly changed it so he fought in the Gulf War.
>>
>>93973331

Yep. My understanding is that he has (or at least his logo) has always been pretty popular with US armed forces, at least.
>>
>>93973415
So US armed forces are edgy teens?
>>
>>93973621
Yep. They recruit young and you end up mentally stunted.
>>
>>93973717
Kinda sad how you can serve in the US army before you can even buy a drink at a bar.
>>
>>93973780
That's what happens when half your country's funds go to the military industrial complex.
>>
>>93973621

I'm not sure that the "edgy teen" excuse really applies though, considering that 46-48% of US enlisted are in the 22-30 age range. From what I've read, it's because of the extreme black and white morality that the Punisher offers. There's no grey-scale with him, it's very black and white, and I guess that appeals to soldiers?
>>
>>93973891
It's easier to say "edgy teens".
>>
>>93973945

What does edgy even mean any more?

t. autist
>>
>>93973271
>>93973298
I could only tolerate Dillon's art on a Frank book. Hated his art on Snikt bub origin
>>
>>93973968
it means "I don't like it" nowadays
>>
>>93972645
>The average age of a Vietnam veteran is around 54 years old, and that's lowballing it.

Saigon fell 42 years ago. Lowballing is a bit of an understatement.
>>
>>93973415
It's also very popular among gun owners, you can't walk into a gun store without seeing some Punisher themed gun parts (AR-15 lowers, grip panels for handguns, etc.)

I'm honestly surprised they don't just sell Punisher comics in gun stores right next to the reloading manuals.
>>
>>93973891
>I guess that appeals to soldiers?
You're not wrong. War is relatively simple for the guy with the gun. You're the good guy and you have friends. The bad guys want to kill your friends. Kill the bad guys.
>>
>>93972645
>The average age of a Vietnam veteran is around 54 years old

Vietnam was 42 years ago, dude. It'd be more like 64 or older.

And no he's not still a Vietnam vet.
>>
>>93973333
Though he did it so quietly that no one seemed to notice, as he was still referred to as a Nam vet in things like The Punisher: Nightmare and Thunderbolts.

So they really solidified it in Cloonan's run.
>>
>>93977106
how is Cloonan's run? I dropped it after like 4 issues of nothing happening at all
>>
>>93973124
There were bits and pieces I liked. Kingpin sacrificing his son to gain power and Frank's final moments.

I haven't read "Punisher: The End" yet, but that sequence for me was pretty definitive.

>Get home. Rest. Heal. There will be another Wilson Fisk tomorrow. And the day after that. Then maybe that day, that day will be the day it all meant something.

Frank simply running out of steam during his perpetual motion is the only logical end I could see for him.
>>
>>93972645
I dunno, is Magneto still a holocaust survivor?
>>
>>93973271
Dillon's Frankface was a prank. Some people bitched about his sameface tendencies, so he cranked it up to 11.

Rest in peace you bastard.
>>
>>93973095
Punisher The end was canon.
>>
>>93977327
Or going off the rails, like in his dreams
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.