[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So...over a year later....can we agree that even if it isn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 14

File: 4395971-secret_wars_001.jpg (1MB, 2000x1521px) Image search: [Google]
4395971-secret_wars_001.jpg
1MB, 2000x1521px
So...over a year later....can we agree that even if it isn't the worst event ever it's by far the most disappointing one from either company?
>>
File: Infinite_Crisis_(collection).png (274KB, 250x375px) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_Crisis_(collection).png
274KB, 250x375px
>>93897525
definitely not
>>
The bar for bad events is so low that even though I thought Secret Wars was terrible and quite possibly the worst imaginable payoff for the 50+ issues setting it up, it's still nowhere near the most disappointing event from either Marvel or DC.
>>
>>93897609
How is that disappointing? All the major titles at DC had been pretty sucky for a few years and despite the fact that the actual event isn't very good(not terrible either) it at least leads into 52 and other really great stuff.
>>
>>93897525
That's not Ultimatum.
>>
>>93897682
it leading into whatever doesn't make the event not incredibly disappointing being a third crisis
>>
>>93897736
Nobody was expecting Ultimatum to be good though, Ultimates 3 had already come out before it.
>>
I liked Secret Wars. I thought it was a pretty compelling story and God Doom was cool. I guess I just enjoyed the seriousness and weight of everything. It felt like what an event is supposed to be like instead "oh hey here's another summer blockbuster that may or may not change everything" like most Marvel events.
>>
>>93897874
What weight? It told us we should care but never showed any reason too. Maybe of we spent more time with the raft survivors bit nope
>>
>>93897874
Secret Wars had a lot of great set pieces, just nothing good tying them together
>>
>>93897874
I mean, for an event itself I guess it wasn't too bad but the build up from Time Runs Out made Secret Wars seem like it was gonna be the best thing ever and then...it wasn't.
>>
>>93897525
if you look at the poster, you could've added some badass and original characters to the 616 post-secret wars. but instead we got sjw versions of the a-listers.

in that poster is Horus from Earth-9105, St. George, Dr Zero, Red Wolf from Earth-829, Obnoxio the Clown, etc. mevl could've rebranded these characters any way they wished but they fucked up and and pissed off their long time fan base by replacing their classic characters with virtue signaling assholes.
>>
>>93897778
How is it disappointing though? Why were you expecting it to be good?
>a third crisis
I mean... the second one was Identity Crisis...
>>
>>93898657
Kinda/sorta. Zero Hour is sometimes counted as a Crisis. Basically COIE and Zero Hour are crisises of the multiverse/hyperverse/whateveritsbeingcalledatacertainpointintime and Identity Crisis is a crisis of conscience,
>>
>>93897525
It was the biggest missed opportunity for a true fresh start. An actual reboot. Not a shitty 6 month time skip.
>>
>>93898697
Zero Hour is even worse than identity Crisis though.
>>
File: civil war.jpg (233KB, 600x911px) Image search: [Google]
civil war.jpg
233KB, 600x911px
Nothing will ever be more disappointing than this. This could have been a compelling story that told the balanced, nuanced tale of two sides fighting for what they truly believe is right. It could have had two opposing factions, each with their own merits, and would have made it truly a heroes vs. heroes story. Liberty vs Security. Good vs. Good. This is even what they TOLD us it was going to be.

Instead, we got tons of out-of-character bullshit, one side that was clearly being written as the bad guys, and an event that forever altered the status quo and still negatively impacts Marvel's comic books to this day. Anyone who says that Civil War is not the worst event in the history of comics is fooling themselves. It was a bait and switch that served as a scarring mar on Marvel's history that it has yet to recover from on any meaningful level.
>>
>>93898815
Avengers Initiative after Civil War was fun though
>>
>>93897682
It ended Wally's Flash run so I kind of hate it regardless.
>>
>>93897525
pathetic lame bait, it's not even in the top 5 most disappointing.
>>
File: doomworld.jpg (1003KB, 1200x1845px) Image search: [Google]
doomworld.jpg
1003KB, 1200x1845px
>>93897525
Shit doomwank and what ifs, but its hard to be the most dissapointing when Ultimatum exists.
Illuminated did it better.
>>
>>93899290
I'm not baiting. There have been many events that I think are /worse/ than Secret Wars but none that, for me at least, had the hype and expectations that Secret Wars did and then failed to live up to them.
>>
File: ultimates3-1av.jpg (159KB, 956x500px) Image search: [Google]
ultimates3-1av.jpg
159KB, 956x500px
>>93899331
Ultimates 3 had already given a pretty good metric of how bad Ultimatum was going to be though. I don't remember anyone actually saying they had hope for the comic when it was coming out.
>>
>>93899030

I mean, sure, some good things came from Civil War. But the negatives vastly outweigh the positives.
>>
>>93898456
Uh, the weight of the entire multiverse collapsing.

Look,. I get some of the frustration if you just started out with #0 or #1. But the premise itself was also money- Doom is the ruler of all of reality. And almost every mini I read was good.
>>
File: Ultimate Disgust.png (224KB, 355x379px) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate Disgust.png
224KB, 355x379px
>>93899378
>>
>>93897525
>A battle against the most powerful beings in the multiverse! the beyonders! everything could happen!
>Nope they ALL die before the event starts, but here take some doomwankery.
What happened to Hackman? i thought he was decent at least.
>>
File: Joker THIS.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
Joker THIS.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>93898758
>>
File: Secret_Invasion_Vol_1_5.jpg (14KB, 150x235px) Image search: [Google]
Secret_Invasion_Vol_1_5.jpg
14KB, 150x235px
Secret Invasion. The build up was great, some tie-ins decent... but the main event... Jesus.
>>
>>93904818
I actually wish they went further back with when the Skrulls started invading but I know most comics fans would hate that.

Holy shit, Secret Invasion is ten years old this year.
>>
>>93904818
>it's a Bendis writes an event for the second time episode
>>
>>93904818
Secret Invasion was essentially a two issue story separated by four issues of tie-ins mistakenly listed as part of the main story.
>>
>>93897525
Nigger did you even read armageddon 2001?
>>
>>93904818
Secret Invasion could never go anywhere by its very concept. Because the entire event is effectively 'retcon: the plot'

Like you know all that awesome stuff this character ever did? Nope! A skull did it!
>>
>>93907232
But..it didn't really go that far in this. The only character that was majorly affected was Spider-Woman...who was technically a Skrull all alone, at least in terms of Bendis using her.
>>
>>93907276
That's the point though. I'm not saying this is what happened, but that's the only thing that COULD happen and that's why they didn't do anything with Secret War. It would just be a shitload of retcons.
>>
>>93897525
Is that Hyperion vs Ant Man in the bottom left? Holy fuck, that is an imbalanced fight.
>>
>>93907466
Classic Hyperion versus Supreme Power Hyperion.
>>
>>93904818
>>93907232
>>93907276
>>93907410
skrulls could have won... not the war, mind you, but could have infiltrated. that would make for some interesting stories down the road. or even more shitty retcons hehe.
>>
>>93897525
It was ok.
Civil war II was the worst event in history of events ever
>>
>>93911521
But...again, everyone knew that was going to be shit going into it.
>>
File: 1471343784278.jpg (6KB, 227x225px) Image search: [Google]
1471343784278.jpg
6KB, 227x225px
>>93898758
This right here. They could have taken a risk and truly changed Marvel forever. Instead, they opted to do nothing interesting and just keep the same garbage.
>>
>>93897525
> Alex Ross painted Obnoxio the Clown

It's beautiful
>>
So is there an actual good marvel event?
>>
>>93911660
the original Secret Wars
>>
>>93904818
Let's end with killing all the Skrulls because the idea of more female shapeshifters is so yucky
>>
>>93898758
a reboot wouldn't magically replace all the bad writers with good ones, nor forced them to step up their game. they'd just lazily retread all the most popular stories regarding those characters same as they always do
>>
>>93897525
>disappointing

I'd put Age of Ultron in that bin.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 250x384px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 250x384px
This here >>93897874
It was a good event. The end wasnt bad either.
It was better than Convergence. That was a really shitty event. But ok Convergence was just a filler for dc moving between offices.
>>
>>93898815
I say, without being delusional, an ok event.
Rather bad executed but good what it stands for. With reasonable standpoints and factions.
CivilWar II was a mess. I guess you only know Marvel through reading /co/ threads, if you dont say consider cwII for your analysis.
>>
>>93897525
Secret Wars actually feels more like a Fantastic Four final story, than anything else.
>>
File: 2233._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg (28KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
2233._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg
28KB, 360x360px
>>93897525

If you're looking for the worst, most disappointing, or any other negative rubric you care to choose - look no further. Secret Wars was The Great American Novel in comparison.
>>
>>93912282
You take that back right now you fucking nigger.

Superman Beyond alone makes Final Crisis great.
>>
>>93912318

Superman Beyond should have been part of the main series - it would have been a marginally more comprehensible story if it had. The decision to make it a 2 issue miniseries - which DC declined to highlight as being of vast importance to the narrative - is just one of the many, many reasons this event turned out to be such a confused (and confusing) mess.
>>
>>93912282
Final Crisis is the only great crossover event. Secret Wars is just pure garbage with a lot of stupid build up.
>>
>>93912388
>Muh time traveling batman
>>
The Blackest Night is one of the darkest, edgiest and dumbest plots that I have ever seen in my life.
>>
>>93897525

We can't agree since this is 4chan, but you get my vote.

>>93912282

What an unusual way to out yourself as a complete plebeian.

In short... there is great disagreement, except on one point... ALL event comics are disappointing and never live up to the hype.
>>
>>93912592

And yet, the basic idea was blissfully simple and completely effective. "What if Death really was the ultimate enemy"?
>>
File: Sinestro_Corps_Cover.jpg (70KB, 300x466px) Image search: [Google]
Sinestro_Corps_Cover.jpg
70KB, 300x466px
This was really bad tbqh
>>
>>93912388

>Six months of build-up - which was then either totally ignored or directly contradicted in the main series.
>Instead an encyclopaedic knowledge of the DC Universe required to make any sense of what's going on - in story explanations are few and far between.
>Multiple spin-off series and one-shots with little or no relevance to main narrative (pretty standard I know...) BUT also a handful of issues which are absolutely crucial to understand what's happening. No attempt made by DC to help consumers tell one from the other.

DC 1,000,000 was Grant Morrison showing that he knew how to construct and write a great crossover event. Final Crisis was Grant Morrison being given free rein to do whatever he wanted. It turns out what he wanted was to crap all over the DCU from a great height, just so that he could further develop his meta-narrative of a 'sentient' multiverse (an idea that no-one else at DC clearly had any interest in, or any idea what to with).

DC Editorial couldn't distance themselves from it quickly enough. If you were reading the comics, within a month it was if "the day evil won" never happened. And apart from Morrison himself, no-one's been interested in using any of the ideas or story threads he created.

It was an ill-conceived misfire of an event, that would have probably worked better if it had been published as an Elseworlds/Multiversity-type mini-series.
>>
>>93912749
>DC 1,000,000

Now this was an event that was actually good from beginning to end. Every single one of the tie-ins was good too (perhaps with the exception of the Captain Marvel one, but it was still decent)
>>
>>93912282
Even your god, Hackman, would laugh at your stupidity.
>>
I can never get into big events like this because you know 99% of things will be fixed by the end.
>>
>>93897525
>>93897874

my problem with secret wars is all the pointless characters.

Cyclops was there (with the Phoenix) only to get killed by Doom and to show how high the power level of Doom was (and also to receive the "the dream is dead" meta message)
Terrax was there for nothing, to get stepped on by Galactus in a funny panel.

The stories of Maximus and Carol (with Sinister) were pointless too. And every Hickman Donut Steel character was pointless too.
The book was a medium size Fantastic 4 story, expanded with pointless filler made of characters Marvel wants to push like Carol and Hickman Donut Steel characters.

You see Hickman create something, you think, there is a plan behind this, this has a purpose, but there is nothing in the end.

Also, dont forget how many of the cool things happened off panel and we never got to see them, like Apocalypse and his horsemen capturing Proxima Midnight and whoe the fuck was her husband.
>>
>>93912749
>Six months of build-up - which was then either totally ignored or directly contradicted in the main series.

Thank God for that.

>>93912749
>Instead an encyclopaedic knowledge of the DC Universe required to make any sense of what's going on

Thank God for that.
>>
>>93912749
You sound like a stupid person. Also
>DC One Million
Stupid idea and DC would be eviscerated if they tried this shit out today. Actually they kind of did with that "% Years later Thing" and people were mad ass hell despite the fact that they did a better job of tying things up. Most of the 1000000 tie ins were superfluous as fuck, what need do you have to read Green Arrow or Catwoman or Nightwing to further your enjoyment of the 1 Million event? They're just using the most just use the "far into the future gimmick" while some like Nightwing actually feature present day Nigthwing, and then there's the hilariously unrelated to the event tie in of Chronos(funny thing is, it's one of only several tie ins that were actually good). The event was good, the tie ins were horrible horrible horrible.
>>
>>93913293
>the hilariously unrelated to the event tie in of Chronos

Yeah, he only killed the future Vandal Savage.
>>
>>93911660
Infinity Gauntlet, Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, original Secret Wars, Contest of Champions, and Infinity War. Inferno, if you want to consider it more than an X-Men event with a ripple effect. And if Inferno counts, then Age Of Apocalypse probably should, too.

Most other things either were bad, or didn't matter. I like Evolutionary War and Atlantis Attacks, but it doesn't mean that the events themselves had any weight on the universe.
>>
>>93915136
Annihilation is probably the best Marvel event ever.
>>
>>93912749

That's a good thing since countdown is universally reviled.
>>
File: 1499986076867.jpg (73KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
1499986076867.jpg
73KB, 1080x1349px
>It's got to the point where even I, a belligerent DC chad for years, is defending Marvel
Secret Wars was a FANTASTIC event. Not just the great writing, art and conclusion, but even the event mini-series alongside it were fantastic. The best there have ever been desu.
>>
>>93912409
Didn't that happen after Final Crisis? FC ended with him trapped in the past
>>
>>93917603

Countdown was downright terrible, as was DotNG. But the fact that FC openly contradicted the whole year of storylines building up to it doesn't reflect well on it as an 'event'.

Even if you hate Secret Wars, at least Hickman had the good grace to conclude the story he and Marvel had spent several years building up. He didn't just ignore everything written up to that point and tell a different, unconnected story instead.

(Although Secret Wars might have been a better comic if he had)

(On second thoughts that seems unlikely if it still had Hickman writing it)
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.