[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What good points did Hickman's Avengers run have? What bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: hickmanvengers.jpg (180KB, 600x926px) Image search: [Google]
hickmanvengers.jpg
180KB, 600x926px
What good points did Hickman's Avengers run have?
What bad points did Hickman's Avengers run have?
>>
>Good
The overacrching story and characterization of characters. Hickman can write some pretty compelling stuff when it's focused on character drama.

>Bad
The guy often thought he was writing Shakespeare instead of capeshit. Individual story issues and even story arcs are written so it only makes sense to him or someone who decides they want to re-read the issue/arc a couple times.
>>
>>93894784
>What good points did Hickman's Avengers run have?
Great story
>What bad points did Hickman's Avengers run have?
Deodato art later on, Bendis being so lazy that it actually affected a book that he's not even on (the creation of Nation X).
>>
>>93894958
Almost forgot, he didn't focus enough on individual characters.
>>
>Good points
The scale
>Bad points
The scale
>>
It has a really disappointing pay-off, kinda trainwrecks the F4 stuff he put together to feed the Avengers bit, and becomes kind of a clusterfuck in the latter half - kinda, complexity for complexity's sake?

I mean he had an astounding build-up to absolutely fucking nothing in the end, really. Other writers have tagged his payoff and done more with it than he ever did.
>>
I'm a huge fan boy of Hickman's so just know that I have a bias.

>good
The book's ambition is fantastic. I think you'd be hardpressed to find someone who has read it and would disagree with the story's ambition. I love that the story explored an unwinnable scenario for some of our favorite characters and what that does to them psychologically. It builds well of the themes that he has laid out in previous runs.

>bad
While I love infinity it wasn't a good event. It was a great early climax to the run but you just can't read Infinity in a vacuum. The art was inconsistent and one of the better story arcs in the comic had some of the worst art (Illuminati vs the Justice League).
>>
>>93895062
You didn't like Secret Wars as the pay off? I really dug that. To each their own, but God Emperor Doom felt like a genuinely good pay off for both his Fantastic Four run and his Avengers run.
>>
>>93894784
I'm gonna assume it got shafted because of Secret Wars, but the fact that the Celestials/Aspects of the Universe vs. the Beyonders was more told and not shown.
>>
File: hickmanvengers.jpg (1MB, 1200x1845px)
hickmanvengers.jpg
1MB, 1200x1845px
Little to nothing about it was anything better than "okay", most of the run had bad points.
>>
>>93894784
It's a great story
Just not a great Avengers story
>>
>>93895216
>You didn't like Secret Wars as the pay off?
Nope, I thought it was terrible. The delays had a huge negative impact on the entire Marvel line too.
>>
>>93895162
From what I understand, Infinity wasn't supposed to be an event. Same thing happened with Axis.
>>
>>93895370
>the delays
The whole line was already fucked, anon. SW was the leadt of it.
>>
>>93894784
good
>it ended
bad
>it went on for about 100 goddamned issues before it ended
>not just shitty ocs but... the names.. the obviously didn't give two shits names
>>
>>93894884
take any single scene from any single Shakespeare play or any single sonnet and I guarantee you, in isolation, it has more characterization, depth and recognizable meaning than anything Hickman could do with five years and unlimited interns
>>
File: HypeThor.jpg (450KB, 1280x837px)
HypeThor.jpg
450KB, 1280x837px
>>93894784
He got Hyperion, one of my favorite obscure characters, into the main Avengers roster as a major player.

This resulted in an epic bromance to end all epic bromances, and I will always be thankful for that.
>>
>>93895216
Secret Wars didnt feel like a payoff at all. It felt like Hickman was about to destroy 616 earth one way, and then out of nowhere the event makes it all null and void.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.