[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey friends, I've read all of Geoff Johns' Green Lantern,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: sinestrocorps.jpg (322KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
sinestrocorps.jpg
322KB, 1680x1050px
Hey friends,
I've read all of Geoff Johns' Green Lantern, and I still don't really get how Sinestro's rings work.
Is it harnessing the fear you impose on others? Or a fear within yourself? Is Sinestro strong because he's scared or because people are scared of him?

In the Injustice 2 ending for Green Lantern, Hal goes undercover as a yellow lantern, and he says he needs to "harness his fear," but that it's like an addiction. And once he picks up that bottle it'll be hard to put down. What the fuck does that mean?
>>
Green is the power to overcome fear, yellow is the power to create fear.

Sinestro is a fascist dictator, his belief is that you can only effectively create order if people fear you and fear the consequences of stepping out of line.

Look at it as "Jedi vs Sith". Jedi/GLs use their power to keep the peace, defend the weak, help people. Sith/SCs use their power to put themselves in charge, make a police state, wipe out any opposition.

As for the other thing, Injustice is a pile of horse manure. But I imagine it means something like using your power to inflict fear on others, to dominate and subjugate them, is addictive. It ties in with the overall theme of "what if Superman stopped being reactive and just took charge of the world?".
>>
>>93870001
Thanks for the response.

However by that metric, isn't Sinestro's power amplified by its effectiveness? Like, if you're not scared of him, he has no power, and you have no reason to fear him. If you fear him, you fuel his power and have even more of a reason to fear him.
>>
>>93870397
yes
>>
>>93870600
oh ok
>>
>>93870397
Yeah, that's actually a pretty big part of Sinestro's plan during the Sinestro Corps War. His intention wasn't necessarily to win the war, but to force the Guardians into rewriting the Book of Oa to sanction lethal force, thus spreading fear throughout the sectors patrolled by Green Lanterns.
>>
>>93869741
Yellows use fear to project fear on others and energize themselves when it's found in others.

>>93870397
Even if you arent scared of a Yellow they can still use constructs based on fear energy. If one is scared it just amplifies their power.
>>
File: sinestro_charlie_legends.jpg (74KB, 576x426px) Image search: [Google]
sinestro_charlie_legends.jpg
74KB, 576x426px
What exactly is the purpose of "exceptionally strong willpower" or "the ability to instill fear" or any of those recruitment eligibility things if you have to recharge your ring everyday with a cheesy little oath anyways? Do those attributes just make your constructs more powerful than the bare minimum standard or something?
>>
>>93869741
It's just fear in general, the members are chosen by their ability to scare others shitless, or how terrified the locals are of that guy.

So it gets a range of brutal dictators, horror movie monsters, serial killers, and self aware killbots.

>Tekik is a killbot that murdered his creator and most life on his world.
>Arkillo is a giant monster that kills and eats everything in his jungle
>Karu Sil is a wild child that hunts farmers and shepherds and has become a spooky local legend
>Tomar Tu is a very high profile child rapist/murderer
>Despotellis is a virus that wiped out a planet
>Enkafos was a pharoh that ruled his people with an iron fist
>Feena is a witch that summons demons to murder the shit out of local villagers
>Kryb is a horror movie monster that kills parents and takes their children

So whatever makes people scared of them is what makes their rings more effective.
>>
>>93870841
In the early Johns stories they made a huge deal about how it is fucking hard to make a green ring work.

John Stewart said something like making a construct is like passing a kidney stone, and most other heroes who got a ring could never really do shit with it. GL's were picked because it is rare for someone to have enough brain power to force a ring to actually squeeze out some green energy then even more beyond that to make it form into something useful.

A normal person can barely manage to hover in place for a few minutes before they got a headache or passed out.

Then they made all the other lantern corps and they passed out rings like candy so basically anyone can make a ring work with no real training. Half the DC Earth heroes have been Sinestros a couple times in the past.
>>
>>93870927
I agree they shouldn't pass 'em out like candy, but this was a dope issue
>>
File: smugnestro.jpg (71KB, 406x434px) Image search: [Google]
smugnestro.jpg
71KB, 406x434px
>>93870927
Could it just be that unlike the Oans, Qwardians just knew how to make user friendly power rings? How are you supposed to pose a threat when you nearly have to shit yourself just to incapacitate some street level offender?
>>
>>93869741
I love Sinestro and what Johns did with him, but looking for consistency in capeshit powers is futile.
>>
>>93871949
The yellow ones do not work based on forcing a construct out. It all depends on the color energy being used.

Yellow probably is the single most user friendly since all of the JLA, Black Adam, and several villains were pretty good with them almost instantly.

Batman still sucked at it the two times he tried. Sinestro said the reason he fucked up was because he kept fighting the ring and would not let it take him over.

Apparently with all the other rings the wearer has to let take them over, and that level of takeover gets worse the further away from the center it goes. Green does not fuck with the wearer's mind but Indigo, Orange, Violet, and Red pretty much program the wearer.
>>
>>93871949
I think regular people have to shit themselves, but the people that are picked to wear rings have that unique and rare ability to use one more easily until it becomes second nature.
>>
>>93870001
Can you not use your own fear as a source of power for the yellow ring?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.