[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It seems easy to make a shit comic with good art, but can anyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

It seems easy to make a shit comic with good art, but can anyone name any genuinely good comics with shit art? Comics are a visual medium, does that mean it's impossible for a comic with bad art to still be good, or does the quality of the writing take precedence over the quality of the art?
>>
Oyvind Thorsby's comics have truly "bad" art IMO. People might say One Punch Man/Mob Psycho 100 but even if the linework in those is bad the construction of the comic is actually very good, so I don't think you can say the art is entirely bad. ONE has a very good sense of how to put a comic together even if he himself doesn't have the skills to make it exactly what he wants to see.

Now Thorsby's comics the art is generally fulfilling only the one essential purpose of comic art: you can mostly tell what's happening. Usually the panels are just the same square panels laid on top of each other and everything is drawn very amateurishly. Close-ups and angle changes are extremely rare. Now EVEN THEN I don't think you can say Thorsby's art is totally and entirely bad because 1) you generally can tell what's happening and 2) the comics are so clusterfuck weird that a bunch of MS Paint monsters and bug-eyed faces actually work for it.

But independently of the art, Thorsby's comics are good. Nobody else is writing anything like them.
>>
>>93863692
Writing quality and visual quality are two separate things, and before a comic is a visual medium, it is still just a story first, remember that.
>>
>>93863692
I can think of a few comics that are great despite having bad art.
Try hitmen for destiny.
Ot hell even the original attack on titan and one punch man are ugly as sin and both got their own shows.
>>
It Hurts comes to mind
>>
Alan Moore's Supreme
>>
waitingforthet's comic on Tumblr is pretty damn ugly
>>
>>93864596
It Hurts doesn't have bad art.
>>
>>93863692
comics don't use words to describe the action they use images. If the images cant effectively communicate the action then , There's nothing there to tell the reader what the characters are doing.
>>
>>93863692
mob psycho 100
>>
>>93865967
Yeah, it has bad art *and* shit writing.

>>93865992
>I have never read Prince Valiant.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.