[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /co/, I'm trying to expand my horizons comic wise and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: ng.jpg (98KB, 411x625px) Image search: [Google]
ng.jpg
98KB, 411x625px
Hey /co/, I'm trying to expand my horizons comic wise and after seeing them pop up every once in a while in the DCU, I'm thinking about Kirby's New Gods saga.

So until I can track down hard copies or I'm lucky enough to catch a storytime around here, anyone want to explain why this series has been so influential to the DCU?
>>
>>93806950

google it, dumbass
>>
>>93806950
DC is reprinted the entire thing in a single huge volume later this year:
https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-World-Jack-Kirby-Omnibus/dp/1401274757/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499834274&sr=8-3&keywords=jack+kirby

A few months ago, an anon known as Designated Dave storytimed the entire saga. This is the first thread, and I think he has links to every new part at the end of each thread. If not, search the Desuarchive for it. He doesn't use subject titles, which makes it harder though:
https://desuarchive.org/co/thread/92940394/
>>
>>93807257
Why google what comics book fans think about it, when I can ask comic book fans directly?
>>
>>93807287
You're the man, my friend. I'm kind of shocked there are so few reprints of the series.
>>
>>93806950
I wish I could help anon, but Kirby is the only DC outside of NTT and DC One Million that I've read.
Kamandi is my fucking Jam.
>>
>>93806950
New Gods was great, but it wasn't really influential at all. In fact, the saga got kind of fucked in the ass by lesser writers later down the line.
>>
>>93807572
I should clarify, it wasn't influential *to the DCU* at all, it certainly influenced plenty of creators.
>>
>>93807325
>/co/
>comic book fans

/co/ is primarily tooncucks and /tv/cucks. Of the rest that remain, they don't read anything unless it was published after 2000 and/or is well-known among normies (Watchmen, Sandman, et al); their knowledge comes only from memes.
>>
>>93807604

what are you even talking about

DC is about to launch a cinematic franchise and they went straight to Apokolips for the bad guys. hell even Cyborg is based on mother box technology

Darkseid is the big bad of the DCU, antimonitors can suck a dick
>>
File: image.jpg (266KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
266KB, 960x720px
>>93807667
There are a few of us left, anon. I blew my whole day drawing and reading He-Man mini comics. Now it's werewolf time.
>Watchmen
I legit hate stories about stories.
>>
File: gmro.gif (498KB, 1008x1836px) Image search: [Google]
gmro.gif
498KB, 1008x1836px
>>93806950
>>93806950
Oh yeah and OP, if you want more stuff after Kirby's work, there is a huge saga that Morrison worked on for over a decade.
Other writers (like Byrne) wrote about the Fourth World after Kirby, but are very hit and miss.
Confusingly, Byrne wrote a series called "Jack Kirby's Fourth World," and that pops up sometimes if you are looking for downloadable material instead of the Kirby written stuff.
>>
>>93807786
I've been reading some of Big Bang Comics. I'm trying to figure out if I like it (they are somewhat charming) or hate it (they're very bland). So far it seems that the original mini is better than what came later.
>>
>>93807736
Just because they're using the characters doesn't mean they were actually influenced by Kirby's work. There is a difference, you know.
>>
>>93807981
>>93807981
That was my take on them too. I liked the Savage Dragon cross over, though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.