[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just realized that Superman comes back to life in Justice League.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12

File: HRWAS2XZTdiXlm961eT5_$_57 (4)i.jpg (63KB, 1200x396px) Image search: [Google]
HRWAS2XZTdiXlm961eT5_$_57 (4)i.jpg
63KB, 1200x396px
I just realized that Superman comes back to life in Justice League.

Predict the ham-fisted Christ symbolism that Snyder will recycle to depict Superman rising from the grave.
>>
>>93803145
did you see wonder woman arms before she finished off Ares?
>>
File: slowpoke.jpg (27KB, 600x655px) Image search: [Google]
slowpoke.jpg
27KB, 600x655px
Guys! I think my meme might be getting a bit stale!
>>
>>93803167
no why?
>>
>>93803167

That's an instance, in one movie. Superman is visually compared to Jesus over and over.
>>
>>93803776
she made the "I am in a cross, the saviour the XXI Century deserves" move
>>
>>93803145
I don't want to go full "WHITE GENTILE CONSPIRACY" on this, but isn't it a bit antisemitic to make Superman a Jesus allegory? He was written by two Jewish refugee kids in an America that wouldn't yet enter WWII or stand up to the injustices happening in Europe.

He's based on Moses and Samson, with the same Nietzschean ideas that Hitler was twisting, but with a strongly moral center. Making him Jesus reduces this multi-layered demigod figure to an easily digestible metaphor in line with Snyder's own beliefs, it's retarded.
>>
>>93803145
>I just realized
I don't believe you.
>>
>>93803970
>reduces
not really
>>
>>93803970
somebody thought using the most hackneyed literary device in existence would make superman DEEP
>>
>>93803145
Don't worry, now that your fellow fedorafag Whedon is directing and writing the movie there won't be any religious symbolism to trigger you.
>>
File: 1467214129549.png (2MB, 938x1548px) Image search: [Google]
1467214129549.png
2MB, 938x1548px
Snyder is a fucking genius
>>
>>93804449
Unironically this. There's a lot of fun symbolism in the movies. Atheists just get butthurt over the religious iconography and ignore everything else.
>>
File: mos_text_a.jpg (81KB, 928x523px) Image search: [Google]
mos_text_a.jpg
81KB, 928x523px
>>93804593
>really isn't your savior just like this DC character who punches hard?
do christians actually like that stuff
>>
File: clark-church.png (575KB, 1280x540px) Image search: [Google]
clark-church.png
575KB, 1280x540px
>>93804593

There's no one in this thread, at the very least, that's angry about the iconography. What people point out with Snyder and these two movies is that the imagery is forced, that it sticks out, is pretentious as hell and says a lot about the director, namely that he wants people to think that he's deep and intellectual, while not being deep and intellectual. It's the director substituting character and development with images that just bluntly tell you how to feel.

I mean, for the love of Rao, the part of the Bible that this scene is trying to reference is depicted in stained glass directly behind Superman's head!
>>
>>93803145
Are we going to be blaming Snyder for a 20 year old story?
>>
But... Snyder isn't directing the next JL?
>>
>>93804964
Yes
>>
>>93804950
I neve for the issue with this scene.
It works without the reference, but the reference compliments it.
I don't think he's trying to be all that deep and subtle. On the contrary, he wants the viewer to plainly see it.
>>
>>93803268
Christ is a timeless literary reference.
Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's a meme.
>>
>>93805107
damn
*got the issue with
*compliments

>very tired
>>
>>93805051
I think he's directed most of it
then Whedon is on the rest
polar opposites
goddamn this movie has all the signs that it's going to be terrible and I loved MoS and BvS
>>
File: 7zyl8l.jpg (36KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
7zyl8l.jpg
36KB, 650x365px
>>93805167
Whedon can be religious and quasi deep like Snyder once in a while though.
>>
>>93804593

>Atheists just get butthurt over the religious iconography and ignore everything else.

I'm fine with religious imagery if there's something else there to support it, like The Leftovers. For all of Lindelof's animal imagery and Christian metaphors that show still makes me care about the actual characters, so the symbolism compliments and enhances what's already there.

BvS is about a bunch of horribly uninteresting morons who function solely as thematic metaphors for Snyder's "kino" storytelling, which I could almost accept as valid if he wasn't retreading Watchmen with an added dose of post 9/11 cynicism.

Snyder isn't Brian De Palma, and despite how much he loves Excalibur he isn't John Boorman either.
>>
>>93805208
That was way better than most things that Snyder ever worked on.
>>
>>93803825
why are they being so careful with him? he's not a faberge egg ffs
>>
File: GreatDarknessSaga.jpg (878KB, 2000x1404px) Image search: [Google]
GreatDarknessSaga.jpg
878KB, 2000x1404px
>>93803145
>>93805262
>>93803825
>>93803167
>>93804950
>>93804702

ITT casuals who have never read DC comics before. I mean its not like they have a trade literally called KINGDOM COME or have had multiple characters die and come back from the grave. Its not like DC's premier character is literally based on biblical stories. Its not like part of the entire point of Superheroes is that they are a set of stories, some morality tales, that explore the human condition just like biblical stories. Its not like one of DC's biggest writers has a whole book about how superheroes are literally gods. Nope, none of that at all, nope.
>>
>>93803970
>>93804300
you guys are pretty dumb, the whole point is that Superman is the next step in the jesus/moses archtype.
>>
>>93805220
>function solely as thematic metaphors for Snyder's "kino" storytelling

But the story works 100% without any kind of metaphor. I don't even know what you mean by thematic metaphor in this sense.

> if he wasn't retreading Watchmen with an added dose of post 9/11 cynicism.

But BvS is the opposite of Watchmen in its message....
>>
>>93805229
>he thinks AoU is better than MoS

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh my god your plebery hurt.
>>
>>93804950
>>93803145
ITT idiots that dont realize it was Donner who pushed the whole Jesus = Superman thing, and Snyder's movies are saying Superman isn't Jesus not matter how much everyone thinks he is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(1978_film)
Donner, Tom Mankiewicz and Ilya Salkind have commented on the use of Christian references to discuss the themes of Superman.[5][9] Mankiewicz deliberately fostered analogies with Jor-El (God) and Kal-El (Jesus).[21] Donner is somewhat skeptical of Mankiewicz' actions, joking "I got enough death threats because of that."[5]
Several concepts and items of imagery have been used in Biblical comparisons. Jor-El casts out General Zod from Krypton, a parallel to the casting out of Satan from Heaven.[5] The spacecraft that brings Kal-El to Earth is in the form of a star (Star of Bethlehem). Kal-El comes to Jonathan and Martha Kent, who are unable to have children. Martha Kent states, "All these years how we've prayed and prayed that the good Lord would see fit to give us a child," which was compared to the Virgin Mary.[5]
Just as little is known about Jesus during his middle years, Clark travels into the wilderness to find out who he is and what he has to do. Jor-El says, "Live as one of them, Kal-El, to discover where your strength and power are needed. But always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El, and they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you, my only son."[5] The theme resembles the Biblical account of God sending his only son Jesus to Earth in hope for the good of mankind. More were seen when Donner was able to complete Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, featuring the fall, resurrection and his battle with evil. Another vision was that of The Creation of Adam.[5]
>>
>>93803145
>that pic
Ah yes, the scene where Superman got nailed onto a tanker. Pretty kino imo
>>
>>93803145
>all religious imagery takes up a combined 1 minute of screen time
>of a 2 and a half hour movie
>people are STILL mad about it a year later

It's like you don't want people to take you seriously.
>>
>>93805582
Which is why Snyder killed Superman in the second movie and will resurrect him in the third, because he isn't like Jesus.

I have heard all this before, I got the Jesus references in the Donner movies and didn't like them there either. I just don't think that Snyder is doing better.
>>
File: forallseasons.jpg (363KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
forallseasons.jpg
363KB, 1041x1600px
>>93803145
>I just realized that Superman comes back to life in Justice League.

Spot the casual.
Also, Jesus imaginery on Superman is nothing new. Pic related is from For All Seasons, while Superman spins on himself to put out a fire. Also look at basically everything Superman-related by Alex Ross.
>>
I just want Superman to spend as little time dead as is possible. Bring him back in the first ten minutes. The first FIVE minutes if you have to. We've already wasted enough time on this nonsense, just get Superman back in action so we can actually get on with him REALLY being Superman, assuming Snyder wasn't lying about that too.
>>
>>93805481
>Its not like part of the entire point of Superheroes is that they are a set of stories, some morality tales, that explore the human condition just like biblical stories.

This. Also I'd go even futher and say that DC stories and characters (most of superhero tales, really, but DC is where it's more frequent I think) are partly based on Greek myths, what with all demigods and heroes. Most of the heroes take their powers from a higher source (WW, Flash, Capt. Marvel), are demi-something (Aquaman) or humans at peak ability like the greek concept of hero (Batman).

It's just that moviegoers are now so used to the idea that superhero must have funny popcorn movie that no other type of narration is accepted.
>>
File: 1495417457565.jpg (90KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
1495417457565.jpg
90KB, 600x462px
>Elohim
>ɛˈləʊhJm,ˈɛləʊhiːm/
>noun
>noun: Elohim
>a name for God used frequently in the Hebrew Bible.

Kal-EL of the House of El. El basically being one of the names for God. Son of Jor-El, or the son of El/son of God.

Sent by his father to be the hope of men and humanity, as much god (Kryptonian) as man.

Even Zodd has some Lucifer allegory to him.

This stuff was there long before Snyder ever got his hands on the character. He is the definition of a messianic (savior/redeemer) character.

As noted above, modern nihilism and the jaded societies we live in probably factor into the decline of his popularity, but he has only dropped to #2 after Batman in recent decades, and is still in the top 5 superheroes in fiction. Man of Steel still sold pretty damn well. His first flight and Jor-Els speech was pretty damn inspiring.

Superdad survived post-Flashpoint because, unlike Batman who you can rebuild as many times as you like and still have people love it, post-crisis Supes is who everyone sees as the definitive Superman.
>>
>>93803145
>The Grave will be empty
>He will reveal himself first to Lois and his mother
>Batman will doubt his return
>He will descend into hell and free the damned
>>
>>93810606
Slight clarification; Elohiim just means god or gods, with El also meaning this, but usually used as a prefix to denote deific status.
But yes, God/Jesus allegory has been a thing with Superman for a while.
>>
>>93803970

How the fuck does that make it antisemitic? Because two jews wrote him one way? Are you retarded? Jesus himself was a fucking jew.
>>
>>93810804
But the Christian view of Jesus is no longer Jewish. Christianity has often been used as an excuse for antisemitism, with arguments like the Jews wanted Jesus dead, so they are evil...
>>
File: 641.jpg (799KB, 1464x1352px) Image search: [Google]
641.jpg
799KB, 1464x1352px
S N Y D E R
>>
>>93812610

This is getting to Star Wars Ring Theory levels at some point.

Stanley Kubrick was a mistake. He made incredible films, but now every single auteur is defended like they're Kubrick and every single second of the film has been pored over like Kubrick, and everyone makes random thematic connections that somehow equal to quality as though good filmmaking is just 2.5 hour long Easter egg hunts.
>>
File: 1482350633511.png (1MB, 1366x1693px) Image search: [Google]
1482350633511.png
1MB, 1366x1693px
>>93812652
t. atheist
>>
>>93812932

>implying

The Leftovers has religious symbolism and actual characters worth caring about at the same time.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.