[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Her parents aren't exactly the type of people who raise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

File: Olga.jpg (19KB, 406x472px) Image search: [Google]
Olga.jpg
19KB, 406x472px
Her parents aren't exactly the type of people who raise honor students, so why was she so perfect?
>>
>>93766361
it happens sometimes.
Got a friend with a drug addict Mom and Dad. her mom quit but used being a cougar as a vice. her brother is lousy too. but she took it on herself to become the parent that she didn't have, honors, triple magoring, and is the "mom" friend of the group, always organized and helping everyone get shit together.

Sometimes shit parents breed greatness, because their kids use them as an example of what not to do.
>>
>good students/children are raised by good parents
Surely you don't think it's that simple, Orel.
>>
File: hola.png (179KB, 645x467px) Image search: [Google]
hola.png
179KB, 645x467px
>>93766379
sometimes kids get super into school because they feel it is one of the few things they can control. When I was in middle school I would walk home to the power being shut off at my home because my mom forgot to pay the bill. I would walk over the park and autisticly do math homework and get weeks ahead in class just to distract myself
>>
>>93766361
Probably secretly ashamed of them like Helga is so she pushed herself to do really well to make up for them
You know the first person in their family to go to college sindrome
>>
>i want to do better for myself
Done.
>>
>>93766387
>good people are just born that way and nurture plays no role
>>
>>93766361

>almost killing herself over a B+

She was FAR from perfect and showed their parents were major fuckups.

In fact she envied Helga's life.
>>
>>93766529
Some kids might see doing well in school and education as their one lifeline to get AWAY from a shit family and living conditions
>>
File: tumblr_nzsdmdQqZu1ro8ysbo1_1280.png (380KB, 617x466px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzsdmdQqZu1ro8ysbo1_1280.png
380KB, 617x466px
>>93766361
Why pick a filthy blonde when you have the superior redhead Judy Funnie?
>>
I think it's less Olga is who she is because of her parents and more her parents became who they are despite Olga.

Olga's in college and Helga's nine, so let's say at least ten years between them. It's entirely possible their marriage was a lot better back then, compounded by the fact that Olga was such an achiever.

Ten years of Bob being a blowhard building a sleazy business and Miriam not having a purpose in life, and I can see why they'd devolve by the time Helga was growing up and Olga was out of the house. It's quite possible Helga was an accident to boot. We saw as early as preschool they were ignoring her existence.
>>
>>93766361
Olga was encouraged to do well in school, and when she was praised for it by her parents she eventually equated her good grades with her families love. Hence when she gets anything less than straight A's she breaks down. Her world view, at some point, came to feel that her grades were all she was.

To Bob's credit at least we tries to cheer her up, but it seems no one has ever actually told her that getting a B is fine, that her grades are not the measure of her families affection.
>>
>>93766361
What do you mean? Her parents were clearly pushing and pressuring her to be the best in everything all the time.
>>
>>93766877
Her mom is a drunken mess and her dad is too obsessed with his business to have time being a helicopter parent. She's not a overachiever because her parents forced her into it, if she was average they wouldn't care they'd just stop paying attention to her like they do with Helga.
>>
>>93766361
>so why was she so perfect?
she had love from her father and a decent mother.
>>
>>93766626
She wears sandals and refuses to shave her legs, worst girl
>>
>>93767187
But you forgot to factor in Bob pressuring Helga to be like Olga, and constantly CALLING her Olga. The Spelling Bee episode comes to mind, where he was pressuring her to win just like Olga did, and where he wouldn't shut up about the word she spelled right to win the whole thing. That really sold the idea that Bob, at least, put a lot of pressure on Olga to succeed, whether intentionally or UNINTENTIONALLY by praising her successes and making her feel like she had to keep doing well.
>>
Some people do well in life despite troubles in their homelife.
>>
>>93766361
But she wasn't. She became an emotional wreck incapable of getting out of bed at the sight of a B-plus. Found love at first sight in an asshole who would've cheated on her. Made passive-aggressive digs at Helga like telling her class that she was a bedwetter. Olga may have been book smart, but she was a complete wreck outside of academia and would've lived a horrible life.
>>
>>93767432
>Made passive-aggressive digs at Helga like telling her class that she was a bedwetter
There was zero aggression in that. She may be a neurotic mess one minor inconvenience away from a massive mental meltdown, but she genuinely loves her little sister and wouldn't ever want to hurt her.

She's also 10+ years older than Helga, so she's probably still got some issues thinking about her like a very young child instead of a... moderately young child? I'd bet there was no attempt to embarrass or undercut Helga with that, she was just trying to humanize Helga because she's worried her sister has no friends because she's gruff and unapproachable.
>>
>>93767432
>can't stand being a failure
>loyal to the first guy she dates
>puts her bitchy sister in her place
She's literally perfect.
>>
>>93766361
Her dad runs a business he's not exactly unsuccessful. All their good parenting went into Olga. They min maxed.
>>
>>93767477
>Good parenting
Is that why their "successful" daughter is an emotional time bomb who spent a week locked in her room, crying her eyes out to Lacrimosa on a constant loop over the thought of getting a B+?
>>
>>93766720
This guy gets it
>>
>>93767387
It's also worth noting the flashback in Helga On The Couch. The whole reason Helga had to walk to preschool in the first place was because Bob and Miriam were ignoring Helga because Olga was doing a piano performance and they were coaching her to do it better.
>>
>>93767527
Actually I don't think they were coaching her, they were just showering her with praise and attention. I remember Bob bragging that she'd done the Minute Waltz in 60 seconds flat.
>>
>>93766361
Momma was pretty great at a lot of things before becoming a drunk
>>
>>93766361
They were but they really only had it in them for one kid.
They probably put a lot of pressure on her at a young age/saw a gift in her.
When Helga rolled around they were preoccupied with Olga.
When Olga left, Helga had already built up her barriers and they didn't care to break them down.
Bob still occasionally attempts to remake Olga through Helga but she's not having any of that shit.
Miriam is just tired/bored of being a trophy wife.
>>
File: 1490991080628.png (46KB, 142x164px) Image search: [Google]
1490991080628.png
46KB, 142x164px
>>93767499
>spent a week locked in her room, crying her eyes out to Lacrimosa on a constant loop

Holy fuck that just reminded me of what was my favourite part of the entire series.

>>93767537
>she'd done the Minute Waltz in 60 seconds flat.

Which is hilariously impossible
>>
>>93767499
I forgot about that. I last saw this show when it first aired. I didn't realize the characters had this much depth. How do you guys remember so far back?
>>
>>93767563
I have the series on DVD and rewatch it every now and then because it's genuinely enjoyable.

That, and for a good stretch Nick played the -fuck- out of Hey Arnold! reruns, so I've seen a lot of the episodes 5+ times before I even got the full series on DVD for 6 dollars at Walmart.
>>
File: wheredoyouthinkweare.png (936KB, 644x644px) Image search: [Google]
wheredoyouthinkweare.png
936KB, 644x644px
>>93767563
>How do you guys remember so far back?
>>
>>93767499
The scene where Helga and Olga finally manage to bond over how they both got pretty fucked up by their parents was surprisingly heartwarming.
>>
>>93767610
>that scene where Helga emotionally blackmails Olga into returning to Alaska without any remorse or pity

Probably the most brutal thing she did in the series in my view.
>>
File: Cyclups.jpeg.png (352KB, 545x474px) Image search: [Google]
Cyclups.jpeg.png
352KB, 545x474px
>>93767554
>Which is hilariously impossible

You don't say. It's almost as if that's the joke, based around his misunderstanding of the name of the piece.
>>
>>93767569
Six dollars?!!!. Good catch.

As some others posted, Olga is far from perfect. Worst part is, she knows Helga's situation and maybe could say something to help her(maybe) but won't.
Bob and Miriam might listen to Olga if they think so much of her.
>>
>>93767704
Oh, in no universe would Olga ever speak out against her parents. Her whole problem is that she's tangled her own self-worth in with her parents' approval.
>>
>>93767719
I was probably hoping against hope about that.

Speaking of Olga, anyone notice that in the Married episode, she isn't in either Arnold or Helga's dream, not even at the wedding?
>>
>>93767814
Arnold doesn't know a lot about Helga's home life, but understands that she's not fond of her older sister, so probably he knew that if they got married she'd want Olga to NOT be there, to avoid her stealing the show without meaning to.
>>
>>93767814
It's the one bit of status quo that I despise in the show: every time Helga and Olga get their rocky relationship on good footing, the show resets them back to their original relationship of Helga hating Olga and Olga being oblivious.
>>
>>93767885
Nah, I like that- because it's realistic. The first time, Helga became aware of what a wreck Olga really is, and that Olga is jealous of Helga's ability to ENJOY her life instead of being under constant pressure... but they're human. Helga might KNOW that Olga is a nervous wreck, and Olga might KNOW that Helga feels invisible and unappreciated, but sometimes biases and grudges you've held for years are more complicated to disassemble than that.
>>
People like Olga many times self destruct once they're out of the parent's home or college. Came close before Helga ran off her jerk boyfriend.
>>
File: 1478667324729.png (233KB, 710x784px) Image search: [Google]
1478667324729.png
233KB, 710x784px
>>93766361
Bob and Miriam were happier with their lives when they were raising Olga. Miriam stopped pursuing her dreams to be with Bob which eventually led her to alcoholism once he began to lose interest in her as his youth left him.

Olga was fortunate enough to be raised during the time where they still felt more lively and closer together, which probably helped with inspiring her to work harder to make them happier. The problem with that is she developed a complex around the idea that failure would lead to those around her being upset which in turn gives her failures more weight than normal, such as her complete breakdown when Helga changed her grades.

Also while there's not much about their parents background, its clear that Helga displays most of her Dad's traits (both physically and attitude-wise) so it would be safe to assume that Olga is more like Miriam probably was around her age which is to say she's more focused on school/career success than she is on something like making good relationship decisions.
>>
>>93766626
Does she keep the shades and beret on during sex?
If so, yes please.
>>
File: Judy_hot_2.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
Judy_hot_2.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>93769370
She does.
>>
because it's a cartoon, op. are you retarded?
>>
>>93767563
Very deep now that we're adults and have a better understanding how the world works. Rewatch it, its aged well and you'll understand why the fans fought so hard to make The Jungle Movie happen.
>>
>>93767645
The Minute Waltz is a piano waltz composed by Frédéric Chopin, in 1847.
The name "Minute" is french and was probably meant to be spoken like "Min-u-ette". It was meant as a nickname to the piece, meaning small. The real title is Valse du petit chien (French for Waltz of the little dog)
Chopin did not intend for this waltz to be played in one minute. A typical performance of the work will last between one and a half, and two and a half minutes. The waltz is 140 measures long with one fifteen-measure repeat included, and thus it would have to be played at almost 420 quarter notes per minute in order to play it completely within a single minute. Playing the piece as fast as possible is still a feat some pianists attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKILwVH_MdM
>>
>>93770290
Thanks for the unwarranted factoid.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.