[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do american directors have to inject quips and jokes into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10

File: 1480925487412.jpg (18KB, 477x486px) Image search: [Google]
1480925487412.jpg
18KB, 477x486px
why do american directors have to inject quips and jokes into everything, it was jarring seeing the characters joke and shit while people got gored and shredded apart. I don't remember castlevania ever being like this (lest some eastereggs).

this isn't a fucking marvel comic book adaptation.
>>
>>93764618
>this isn't a fucking marvel comic book adaptation.

That's why there weren't any transexual latino lesbians
>>
>>93764618
Quipping is a proud American tradition, son. Please learn to respect our noble culture.
>>
>>93764618
but Castlemania was written by a Britbong
>>
that's Trevor's character though, he's not the goody two shoes Simon Belmont
>>
>>93764618
>american directors
>written by British author Warren Ellis
>>
>>93764757
would've preferred best belmont
>>
Castlevania has always had humor in it, you ignorant fuck.
>>
File: 1474348848511.jpg (124KB, 830x900px) Image search: [Google]
1474348848511.jpg
124KB, 830x900px
>>93764778
*cough
forgot pic of course
>>
>>93764618
>ugh
Can you, like, leave uh, my testicles alone? Like, oh my god.
>>
File: Julius_Belmont.png (768KB, 584x768px) Image search: [Google]
Julius_Belmont.png
768KB, 584x768px
>>93764778
>>93764808
>im-fucking-plying
>>
>>93764826
Are you that same anon from the /vr/ thread?
>>
>>93764839
it'd be weird if I was since I don't go to /vr/
>>
File: Leon_Belmont.jpg (127KB, 640x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Leon_Belmont.jpg
127KB, 640x1000px
The best Belmont is Leon. No only did he fight the armies of hell, but he gave up his nobility in order to do it.
>>
>>93764881
I think we should all agree that Leon sucks
>>
File: 1497250473235.png (1MB, 613x943px) Image search: [Google]
1497250473235.png
1MB, 613x943px
>>93764618
jokes aside, did he kill shovel peasant and barmaster?
>>
>>93764898
he hasn't killed any non-church civilians
>>
>>93764895
No u.
>>
>>93764881
I actually like Leon
>>
I want to fuck Sypha
>>
>>93764618

>watch documentary
>quips and jokes inserted into errywhere
>entire show is ruined
>>
cant believe ellis wrote this piece of shit
>>
>>93764757
>akchually...
Leon is the nobleman
Trevor is the holy warrior
Simon is the barbarian
Juste is the bishounen
Richter is the shonen protag
Julius is the older man

So this personality would've better suited Simon or Richter.
>>
>>93764618
>why do american directors
That would be british comic book writers. The out-of-place gore is probably because of that, too, besides some anime influence I guess.

>>93765457
Damn, that feels sorta accurate.
>>
File: tumblr_n2qvcvQNXO1qexfrvo5_1280.png (169KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2qvcvQNXO1qexfrvo5_1280.png
169KB, 600x600px
>>93764808
>Best Belmont
>Got outshined by a loli
>Got brainwashed by Shaft
>raised dracula
>Poisoned the whip so badly that the Morris clan had to fix your shit
>>
>>93765085
I can.
>>
>>93765457
By your list, Simon wouldn't have a reason to be bitter about the loss of his lands/excommunication, because he's a barbarian and why should he care? And Richter would also be more upfront concerned with making friends and such, rather than just getting the job done.

As a holy warrior, the Trevor written into the show fits pretty well with the "priest/pastor who has become cynical/lost their faith" archetype, though obviously he isn't officially one.
>>
>>93764808
>HYDRO STORM will never be animated
>>
>>93765586
Simon is the barbarian because he failed to live up to Trevor and Christopher's fame and didn't even kill Dracula right the first time.

Leon is the beggining, Trevor is the superstar, Simon is the failure and revival of the family, and it repeats with Juste and Richter.

Trevor doesn't have any reason to question his faith, it's just this way in the series because of course a fucking englishman wouldn't pait an eastern-european holy knight in a straight good light, it may upset the caliphate.
>>
Why does /co/ believe """"quips"""" is the worst thing ever? It's by far the most retarded buzzword of the board.
I've never played Castlevania so if it's super grimdark and edgy I can see being misplaced, but considering most of the quip complains are usually totally idiotic I'll have to assume this is the case as well.
>>
>>93765696
I don't see how anyone can take Castle DIE MONSTER YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD Vania seriously
>>
>when /co/ has to circlejerk around marvel hate so much that even on non-DC properties a bunch of the posts are about Marvel
they truly have won
>>
>>93764618
>it was jarring seeing the characters joke and shit while people got gored and shredded apart

Warren Ellis motherfucker, do you know him?
>>
File: 1497160500073.png (101KB, 207x308px) Image search: [Google]
1497160500073.png
101KB, 207x308px
>>93765085
>wasn't paying attention to the opening of the first couple episodes
>halfway through episode 3 say 'Jesus, did fucking Ellis write this?' because of muh atheism
>mfw I see his name in the credits
>>
>>93765666
>and didn't even kill Dracula right the first time.
So to make your characterization work, we'd need to skip right to Simon's Quest? Because he can't become a barbarian out of failure until he actually fails.
>Trevor doesn't have any reason to question his faith
Except the excommunication plot is taken directly from the manual.
>, it may upset the caliphate.
Oh, so this was your real complaint all along. Never mind Lisa emulating Jesus, never mind the good priest who is able to make holy water, never mind God condemning the cruel actions of the Bishop. You're just a /pol/ poster.
>>
>>93764618
>this isn't a fucking marvel comic book adaptation.

Quips in films and media have been longstanding and present since the late 70's. They are not originating from or unique to the Marvel films.

The only reason you hate "quips" is because of consolewar bullshit and Joss Whedon's inability to ever have characters not quipping.
>>
>>93765586
I just realized cartoon Trevor's personality may probably fit a bit better Simon "what an horrible night to have a curse" Belmont.
>>
>>93765696
Castlevania is verbose and heavy metal as fuck, if there was ever a time for Ellis to channel his inner Tony Iommi, and he wasted it on quipping and profanity. Really high IQ writting there, never done before.
>>
>>93765842
This, but don't raise your voice because Warren is over there already invoking the /pol/ boogeyman to defend his shit.
>>
>>93765842
If you think the personality just fits better, sure, that is something worth discussing. If you think Ellis intentionally fucked with Trevor's characterization for /pol/ conspiracy theories despite actual evidence in the show to the contrary, that's a different can of worms.
>>
>>93764731
Quipping started in the UK.
>>
>>93764618
>it was jarring seeing the characters joke and shit while people got gored and shredded apart
black comedy, even under extreme duress, is surprisingly common occurrence, mind you

people who are literally dying, inclusing former president of the US ronald reagan, have made witty one-liners while bleeding out

it is natural to seek comedy in the darkest of times, as a coping mechanism, as a morale boost, or even to distract your enemy
people screaming and crying in a bad situation will sap peoples will to fight and go on, but injecting a but of humor, even terrible humor, helps establish a sense of control to the situation and get people to see some good in their situation no matter how bleak
indeed, when in a dangerous situation, panic is the absolute last thing that you should do, and especially people who willingly go into a dangerous situation like a vampire hunter would be a bit more like chuck yeager, rather than a hysterical woman
>we should all hang together, lest we hang separately
>then we will fight in the shade
>nuts
>Friends, I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose.
>You want to be particular and make it a runway, huh

people in mortal danger in real life have an astounding reserve of wit
to say nothing of fictional characters characterized by willingness to put themselves in harms way
>>
>>93764618
Warren Ellis is British.
>>
>>93765085
Really? Because the whole thing was Ellis as fuck.
>>
>>93765666
>it may upset the caliphate.

/pol/ identified. How fitting your post ends in 666.
>>
>>93765970
>any colored joke is now /pol/
This persecution complex is why we have a potato in the white house.
>>
>>93764731
>>93765902
>>93764740
Well then it all makes sense, doesn't it?
>>
>>93765892
>If you think Ellis intentionally fucked with Trevor's characterization for /pol/ conspiracy theories
I literally never said that. I thought the whole thing was just Ellis being a british comic book writer, which probably should have been in reins. Also a lot of Production IG influence on the animation side I guess.
>>
>>93765085
>Not expecting Ellis to write in a testicle joke

How uneducated are you?
>>
>>93764618
the whole nation grew up on an overabundance of cheesy slasher movies. they see gore, they think freddy kruger and ash williams and such. that's just their culture.
>>
A little bit of self awareness helps the medicine of something that is otherwise kind of inherently stupid go down smoother.
>>
File: you are a blight.jpg (13KB, 251x255px) Image search: [Google]
you are a blight.jpg
13KB, 251x255px
> I don't remember castlevania ever being like this (lest some eastereggs).
well no shit, it was a game with no speaking roles and extremely limited dialogue.
you, sir, are a miserable pile of lies
>>
>>93764618
>get kicked in the balls twice.
>ask them politely to not do it.
It was a good moment.
>>
>>93765902
So did America.
>>
>>93764618
Because it's entertaining. I just marathoned the first season of The Walking Dead and I wish it had more levity.
>>
>>93764826
>he doesn't have a game on his own.
Dracula is literally the culprit of this.
>>
>bitching about american influence
>on the american comics and cartoons board
hi /a/, how are you this evening? I'm fine, I only just finished watching the first 4 eps of Castlevania. I quite liked it, and the 'quips' werent really out of place. It just made him sound tired of having to beat the shit out of some poor untrained and fat peasants.
now fuck off back to /a/
>>
>>93766432

You've already finished the best season of the show, read the book instead, it's genuinely better
>>
>>93764757
Trevor is a holy warrior you idiot, not some drunk quipping cunt. You fags haven't even played the fucking games
>>
>>93765970
>everything I don't like is /pol/

You tumblr fags have ruined /co/
>>
>>93766470
No, he fucking isn't, dipshit. He's a mountain man from a clan of monster hunters. He has super powers and regular ass people don't like that or the Belmont family. He is basically a barbarian.
>>
>>93766481
Except you're wrong, the Belmont family are specifically described as a clan of monster fighting holy warriors. If you had actually played the fucking games, you'd know that Trevor is devout and takes his job seriously. You can see this in fucking Curse of Darkness
>>
>>93764778
Gabriel?
>>
>>93766516
In Curse of Darkness, the Belmondo family lives out side of society as outcasts due to their powers. The holy bits with Leon were injected much later.
>>
>>93766530
Fuck, even then, Leon wanted to kill the night with his alchemy whip. Holy has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>93766530
Not him, but that does not exclude being holy warriors. Trevor starts his game kneeling before a cross before moving on to whip monster ass.
>>
>>93764618
show's writer is Warren Ellis
>>
>>93764778
excelent bait.
>>
>>93766536
You do know that the alchemy whip had to be enchanted in order to kill vampires right? And the Belmont's abilities to weild holy water and crosses stem from holy powers
>>
>>93765517
Morris clan is ok in my book.
>>
>>93766530
You even described the game wrong. Curse of Darkness takes place after III and Trevor is a full member of the Church at that point and married to Sypha
>>
File: sotn.jpg (84KB, 855x512px) Image search: [Google]
sotn.jpg
84KB, 855x512px
> Castlevania
> Strong writing
>>
>>93766476
>MUH desu vult
>>
>>93766002
You forgot your obligatory frog caption.
>>
>>93764618
Die troll! You don't belong on this board!
>>
>>93764618
To make them more relatable
and who gives a shit, goddamn you could the best thing ever and you still complain, I mean there is critism and then there is just complaining.
>>
>>93764618
>OP can't handle the concept of humor
Dude, if they wanted to be quippy, they would've had a wall chicken gag.
>>
>>93764731
Pfft...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUUB96c6EpY&feature=youtu.be&t=100
>>
>>93767079
ayy hol up
what if
you could break things
and get kfc
>>
castlevania has a kamen rider skeleton in it.
>>
>>93767079
I can't be the only one who WANTS there to be a reference to that, as long as it's done well.
>>
>>93765666
Hi Satan.
>>
Castelvania is goofy as all fuck. The whole first game was a spoof of old movies. The game end credits had silly fake actor's names.
Humor was all over the place in the game. Silly enemies in every single game.

And the quip wasn't even that bad. They had kicked him in the balls twice at that point.
>>
>>93766793
And Curse of Darkness was published after Lament of Innocence, so how could the Leon stuff be injected much later?
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.