[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any in-Universe reason why Superman rarely ever uses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

File: Supes.jpg (57KB, 420x634px) Image search: [Google]
Supes.jpg
57KB, 420x634px
Is there any in-Universe reason why Superman rarely ever uses his super speed when he's in a fight? Theoretically he should be untouchable since most of his rogues don't have super reflexes
>>
>>93750464
Because plot
>>
File: Bullet_time.gif (1MB, 320x242px) Image search: [Google]
Bullet_time.gif
1MB, 320x242px
>>93750472
>in-Universe reason
I'm asking if a writer has ever specifically addressed this plot hole before
>>
>>93750464
Because if the general populace couldn't see him beating the tar out of bad guys he wouldn't be the symbol of hope and morale that he is
>>
Perhaps its like >>93750606 said. For Superman to inspire people he must be seen saving the day. He could easily blitz every enemy he has. But what would be the point if people dont know hes saving them?
>>
>>93750464
>Most of his rouges?

You mean Wraith, H'el, Ulysses, super-Vandal Savage, and others that are just as fast as he is?

Those rouges?
>>
>>93750464
unnecessary exertion, do you sprint to the kitchen just to get a sandwich?
>>
>>93750464
Same reason why the Flash gets hit by normal dudes instead of remembering he's fast enough to dodge a bullet touching the back of his neck before it breaks the skin. Writers don't know how to deal with powerful characters.
>>
>>93750464
superspeed operates at the speed of bad writing
>>
>>93750464
>>93752656

Let's look at some Silver Age Justice League foes

>Weapons Master

Inside a giant lobotomized transformer with a plethora of future-weapons fast enough to keep up with the Flash

>Dr. Destiny

Reality Manipulator

>Amazo

Flash speed

>Queen Bee

Red solar energy powered energy rod, ambushed the league and mind controlled them

>Kanjar Ro

Froze all of Earth with his gamma gong to bribe the league into working for him

>Amos Fortune/Royal Flush Gang

Reality Manipulation backed by red solar energy

>Felix Faust and Demons 3

A reality manipulating sorcerer and 3 ancient gods

And so on, and so on, and so on.

You know how the Star Trek OS guys ran into reality manipulating energy beings all the time to provide something their super technology couldn't steam roll?

That. Think that.

Things a little more clear now?
>>
>>93750464
>>93750472
>>93750606
>>93750736
>>93752622
>>93752656
>>93752693
Because moving so fast would create constant sonic booms, which would in turn create wanton destruction through Metropolis.
>>
Superspeed is a terrible power, that 's almost impossible to write properly. A character with superspeed, even at supersonic levels, would utterly stomp most characters that didn't share this power
>>
>>93752752
The real broken part of superspeed isn't even the speed itself, it's the reaction time. Even if you could outwit the Flash into falling into a trap, there is no way to make it fast enough that he wouldn't simply see it being sprung and leave immediately.
>>
File: Data_intoxicated.jpg (63KB, 780x547px) Image search: [Google]
Data_intoxicated.jpg
63KB, 780x547px
>>93752752
>Faster than Light travel is a terrible power that's almost impossible to write properly. A group with faster than light travel, even if they have to say "warp speed" to activate it, would utterly stomp most characters that don't share this power

This is how retarded you sound.
>>
>>93752773
True
See that one comic where Deathstroke got him to run into a sword. There is no way to explain it that makes sense
Superspeed has never, nor will it ever be done right
>>
>>93752805
I think the only way superspeed can really be done right is if it's against other super speed, which is why Flash's best villains are the Reverse Flashes.
>>
>>93752773
True
See that one comic where Deathstroke got him to run into a sword. There is no way to explain it that makes sense
Superspeed has never, nor will it ever be done right
>>93752803
Tell me a character without superspeed that could possibly ever beat a character than can move at the speed of light.
>>
>>93752773
I can't comment on modern Flash because I haven't read much of his stuff, but Silver Age Barry got dropped by surprise attacks all the time. That was pretty much his weakness. He can't react to something that stabs him in the back.
>>
>>93752805
I think it can be done right if speed was only a body movement thing without any of the reaction time
>>
>>93752885
But then you get into the problem of how the character avoids running into walls and shit.
>>
If a character could move at superspeed, but not react to it, he'd die by immediatly crashing into a wall
The only time ive ever seen it done right was in Worm with Velocity
>>
>>93752944
Meant for :>>93752885
>>
>>93752831
>Hi Barry I'm Kanjar Ro and I froze the entire Earth and unless you do what I say it's going to stay that way.

>Hi Barry I'm Felix Faust I did a magic spell five hours ago and now you'll my bitch unless you can figure out how to counter the spell in time

>Hi Barry I'm Despero and now you're my mind bitch because I mind raped you while you were having breakfast and you didn't notice ready to play a board game?

You're acting like the only possible problem a superhero could have is some big asshole standing across from him challenging him to a death match. This is comic books, not shonen manga. Not everything is a punch out and not everything is resolved by killing the bad guy.

Again, think Star Trek.
>>
>>93752574
No?
>>
>>93752853
But see from his perspective that makes no sense. If something is stabbing him in the back, his high reaction speed should make his inner monologue something like

>Huh I think there's something touching my back
>Yep there totally is
>I should probably do something about it
>Or at the very least look behind me
>Nah it can wait
>Hasn't even broken the skin yet
>Dum dee dum...
>Maybe now I should do something?
>It's starting to pinch a little bit
>Hmm nah
>I'm still good for a bit more
And so on
>>
>>93752944
>>93752885
>>93752921
Just have it so that his reaction time scales to his speed. So when he's moving fast he reacts fast, but when he's standing still he's vulnerable to surprise like everyone else.
>>
>>93752921
By keeping his speed to a somewhat manageable level.
>>
>>93753011
Which Rogues do you mean then?
>>
>>93753016
You know it IS possible to get wounded and not notice it until its too late. People have gotten mortal stab wounds without realizing it in real life.

So for your example there would be no "something is touching my back". It would be "why is there blood on my-HOLY SHIT!"
>>
>>93752995
So bascially, the only way to beat flash is to make him fall into an unescapable trap without him noticing it?
Lmao, you must be a great writer
>>
>>93753090
>People have gotten mortal stab wounds without realizing it in real life.

But not over the course of what would be hours and hours from their perspective.
>>
>>93753053
the other ones
>>
But at the speed barry thinks, the sword shouldn't even be getting near him. Think if a sword was approaching you at about a centimetre an hour, but you werent aware of it yet. Is it really going to hurt you before you notice it?
>>
I feel this is also a frequent issue with Wonder Woman. It's like a lot of people completely derp out and forget she does indeed have super speed. Like, seriously, how do you think she does the bullet blocking thing?

And while we're on the subject, why the fuck do dumb writers keep trying to give Diana invulnerability? That is what the bracelets are for, stupid! If you need her to take a super strength punch, just have her block it. Trust me, the things are made out of the Aegis itself, it'll work.
>>
>>93753130
The reality controlling imp-god?

The super genius that keeps several flavors of his weakness on hand at all time?

Darkseid?

>>93753124
Why would Barry just idle at super speed for hours?
>>
>>93753170
Meant for: >>93753090
I dont know why that keeps happening
>>
>>93752737
>it's an anon gets uppity for no reason episode
we're not talking about reality warpers or Justice League foes, we're talking about shitty writing
>>
>>93753180
Because then if she gets thrown into a skyscraper or something her bones should shatter. Ain't no blocking that.
>>
>>93753198
Parasite, Livewire, and Brainiac, checkmate bitch
>>
If you're character has in his rogues gallery:
A guy who throws boomerangs
A reality warper who can freeze the earth or whatever
And both of them have beaten your character
Then your character is terribly written
>inb4 muh star trek
>>
>>93753198
Because it's been established that the Flash's super reactions persist even when he's not going fast.
>>
>>93753206
>>93753170
WOULD he feel the sword though if he's running into it at super speed?

I mean from his perspective everything is frozen. So he just goes up to punch Deathstroke in the face and accidentally walks into the sword.

Yeah, it shows a lack of care and awareness on Wally's part but its possible. If he took the time to scan every micro inch of the battlefield before punching Deathstroke yeah, he would see the sword and not run into it. But I don't think Wally has the patience to do that.

>>93753266
That was a recent thing in the Johns run though. And didn't Johns also write that Wally actively fights against that slowed down perception like during that dinner scene?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1232x1576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1232x1576px
>>93750464
You never read the comics. No version Superman post crisis is fast as barry.

Man can't even time travel post crisis on his own anymore.
>>
File: 1499313371421.jpg (27KB, 260x341px) Image search: [Google]
1499313371421.jpg
27KB, 260x341px
>>93753262
>A guy who throws boomerangs
>He doesn't know
>>
>>93753311
So you're saying if you went punch someone in the face and they were frozen, you wouldnt notice them sticking out a sword?
Like, you would literally need to impale yourself on the sword.
Besides, it makes no sense that something should be able to stab barry. IF the floor doesn't smash his feet when he runs into them, a sword thrust shouldnt be able to damage him
Superspeed is the stupidest superpower
>>
>>93753318
>You never read the comics. No version Superman post crisis is fast as barry.
Nice reading comprehension, I never said Superman was faster than the flash. And the pic I posted is obviously silver age shenanigans.
>>
>>93753245
>Parasite has to make contact with a being in order to transfer the energy, so there's no way Flash letting that happen
>Lightning isn't faster than an attosecond bitch
>What good is being the smartest being in the universe against the fastest? We're back to the knife argument again

Care to retort?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1169x1169px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1169x1169px
>>93753318
Superman also lost his super brain post crisis.
>>
>>93753413
Silver age doesn't matter anyway. Most of the stories was thrown out by Bryne.

You think super speed is stupid but flying without wings is ok?

Most science think flying without aid the fakest shit in comics.

Superman shown using his speed on foes post crisis.
>>
>>93753413
Silver Age Superman was actually faster than Flash. Flash needed the cosmic treadmill to break the time barrier. Superman didn't.

>>93753434
>What god is being the smartest being in the universe against the fastest?

Because these aren't Death Battle matches retard. Brainiac has a thousand ways to threaten Flash that don't involve him teleporting down like a Dragon Ball bad guy and challenging Barry to a fight.

>>93753262

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>>93753434
Livewire doesn't have super reflexes which makes hitting a super sonic target extremely difficult. Also nice job missing my point entirely, I said Super Speed would be beneficial when used against rogues who don't possess that ability, which it is.
>>
>>93753434
Parasite started as a one shot bad guy who only threatened Superman because Superman touched him and didn't know he was about to be power drained. He and Livewire were threats to 90's Superman because 90's Superman was nerfed hard.

You're absolutely retarded if you can't see how Vril "I bottled the multiverse" Dox isn't a threat.
>>
File: Captain Boomerang.jpg (543KB, 1101x1642px) Image search: [Google]
Captain Boomerang.jpg
543KB, 1101x1642px
>>93753262

He is THE guy who throws boomerangs.
>>
>>93750464
Superman doesn't have access to the speed force, who knows what sort of effects using super speed consistently for extended periods of time would have on his body
>>
>>93753626
>that page

Holy shit
>>
File: brainiac.jpg (405KB, 1279x804px) Image search: [Google]
brainiac.jpg
405KB, 1279x804px
>>93753523
>You think super speed is stupid but flying without wings is ok?
I never said this, what the fuck are you talking about? And I never said he didn't use speed on his foes, I'm just asking if there is any in-Universe explanation for why he doesn't just dodge every punch from characters who don't possess superspeed such as Brainiac.
>>
File: Captain Fucking Boomerang.jpg (508KB, 1095x1630px) Image search: [Google]
Captain Fucking Boomerang.jpg
508KB, 1095x1630px
>>93753726
You have no idea.

Captain Boomerang is the god of boomerangs.
>>
>>93753434
You asked me to post Superman rogues who don't have super speed and that's what I did, what's there to retort?
>>
>>93750464

I think it's because of the fact that Superman would have to have beyond perfect control to not splatter some one across the world while graving, hitting and or doing anything in super speed.
>>
>>93753760
Superman is just a drama queen. That punch didn't even hurt him. He's just making a show of it.
>>
>>93750606
>>93750736
>>93754604
>>93754881
All plausible explanations, and Superman sounds like a narcissist
>>
>>93753445
what?

what about the people who gambled "watch it be a tie!"?
>>
File: image.jpg (358KB, 1278x972px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
358KB, 1278x972px
>>93753760
Supermans brain isn't fast as Flash? Got it?

Only reason he catches bullets is to let them go into his diamond hard hands. Whereas Flash can stop them in slow motion.

Please not use the 30 year plus defunct Earth 1 Superman powers set.
>>
File: image.png (897KB, 787x619px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
897KB, 787x619px
>>93755743
One more for class.
>>
>>93753122
Not that anon, but that...that is not bad writing. It can actually lay groundwork for the writer to experiment with new and interesting ways for the rogue's gallery to trap the Flash. And it's obv not inescapable since the Flash has to win in the end.
>>
>>93752656
> he's fast enough to dodge a bullet touching the back of his neck before it breaks the skin

That was in the tv show you fucking casual.
>>
>>93755843
This reads exactly like a decades old comic with the little thought bubble.
>>
>>93752656
>>93752752
>>93752773
>>93753016
>>93753170
>>93753122
You guys realize reaction times arent always 100% consistent, right? Do you always dodge something 100% of the time if you've dodged it once? No, you dont.

Superman's super speed isnt like speedforce where he can just turn it on or off, its more akin to the difference between us walking or sprinting. And when you sprint you arent exactly able to move as well or think as quickly as when you are walking.
For Flash its about whether or not he is channeling the speedforce at the moment. Just like in real life, sometimes instincts take over and he is able to dodge some coming from behind (like how sometimes you can just sense if something is about to hit you in the back of the head) but sometimes it doesnt work (like how sometimes in real life you cant sense something about to hit you). After all, Barry and Wally are still just human.
>>
File: image.jpg (211KB, 666x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
211KB, 666x1024px
>>93755991
Tv shows are shit.

Anyway back to Superman, most of his villians are same as him.

Luthors the only human villian who also uses a battle suit to make himself powerful.

Prankster doesnt even exist anymore.
>>
>>93755743
>i can think as fast as light
god this is so fucking stupid
I like to read comics about PEOPLE with super powers
Not gods
Writers need to controll themselves. More power you give someone the harder they are to write and the less interesting they become
>>
>>93756716
Dc comics always been gpdly humans. Post crisis toned down superman for marvel and new fans to relate to.

Still you can write them as human. Love for iris and dead mom, being late at work out of boredom.

Wally was more powerful.
>>
>>93756131
>Do you always dodge something 100% of the time if you've dodged it once? No, you dont.
If it looks like it's standing still relative to my timeframe, you better fucking believe I do.
>>
>>93755991
>That was in the tv show you fucking casual.

Fuck off, you don't know what you're talking about. Someone must have the page of Flash in the theater when someone starts shooting it up, causing Wally to go around plucking the bullets out of the air before they hit anything.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.