[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone think about how easy it is to find old cartoons nowadays?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: SimpsonsFront3.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SimpsonsFront3.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
Anyone think about how easy it is to find old cartoons nowadays? I know we take it for granted, but remember when you were a kid and you were kind of nostalgic for some shows you watched years back, but you could only find shitty looking pictures on Google or Quicktime files of brief clips? And those shows would never re-air, so all you had were fading memories? Now, anybody can find their favorite show from years back on a torrent or a stream.
>>
>>93680604
I taped every single thing I watched. I had, maybe I still do someone at my parents, a huge closet of VHS tapes.
>>
>>93680604
>you could only find shitty looking pictures on Google or Quicktime files of brief clips?
Altavista was the place for low quality clips and pics.
>>
>>93680604
>>93680604
Its certainly a weird feeling when you put it that way. I remember the fan sites for things being the only places you could find crappy jpgs or clips of cartoons.

What's weirder is being able to watch these things with privacy. Even if you had something on tape, unless you were rich or lucky your household usually only had one VHS player. If you wanted to watch something it was going to have to be in front of everyone.

My adolescence was weird, my parents seemed vaguely ok with me wanting to be an animator but I wasn't allowed to or was shamed for watching cartoons, so I remember slithering out of my room in the dead of night and watching taped cartoons from my childhood with the volume all the way down.
>>
I haven't been able to track down more than three crappy-quality episodes of Detention.

It's not a hidden gem but I'd like to revisit it.
>>
When I was a kid you had repeats or home video. That was it. If your friends had tapes, you shared. Films were a lot harder to come by than tv, especially new films, and long-running tv shows that offered a continual fresh serving of basically the same thing were a lot more important.

It's a lot easier now, but it's not new.
>>
>>93680630
If this is true and you're still around you should be uploading that shit to MySpleen, I got invites
>>
>>93680650
oh god that brought back memories
>>
>>93680916
Not him, but what's the easiest way to digitize tapes? I have a fuckton of old CN and Kids WB recordings, but I'm not sure how to go about archiving them digitally.
>>
I remember endlessly rewatching a VHS tape with two Scooby Doo episodes on it, the one with the mayan ghost, the one with Sonny Bono and Cher and the one with this motherfucker. God damn did he spook me. Whenever we drove anywhere at night I'd picture him waiting on the roof of the car to snatch the first person stepping out. I basically grew up loving Scooby Doo based entirely on those three episodes, because we never got Cartoon Network so they were the only episodes I ever got to see.

These days I can hardly bring myself to rewatch stuff even once.
>>
File: Ebeneezer.jpg (10KB, 236x214px) Image search: [Google]
Ebeneezer.jpg
10KB, 236x214px
>>93680999
This guy, I meant.
>>
>>93680970
Easiest way overall is probably to use a standalone DVD recorder, they're somewhat common in thrift stores now and they usually capture a proper NTSC interlaced signal so it's a good representation of the actual quality of the tape, plus using optical media means you're inherently creating an archival backup during the capture process. A lot of VHS transfers on MySpleen (which is the main community for this sort of stuff) are still distributed as VIDEO_TS folders

Alternatively, there's a lot of different capture devices (internal PC ones as well as USB) for computers on the market but a decent one from a name brand is probably around $100 at least
>>
>>93680604
I'm old enough to remember no internet at all.
There was no way to find out:
>Is my favorite show canceled?
>Is there a fanbase?
>What movie will be in cinema in 1 month
>who created that show?

There wasn't a magazine for cartoons.
>>
It happened to me with ReBoot. I spent years lamenting that I never watched every episode in order when I was kid.

Years later, my inner child exploded in glee when I found the whole series on YT.
>>
>>93680604

It's like that with just about all forms of media now, though.

Remember when you had the urge to listen to a song, but couldn't? Either you didn't own the album or the song just never came on the radio. So tough luck. You don't get to hear that song.

Now, if you want to hear a song, ANY song, you can just go to you tube, type in the title and artist, and there it is. ANY song, ANY time, for free, instantly. It's practically a natural resource at this point.

Shit, remember when you'd be hanging with friends and one of you would ask "Hey, who directed _____?" and well shit. Guess you'll never know. Unless you decided to drive to the library, find a book on filmographies and look it up. Now all you gotta do is type the question into your phone and you get the answer right then and there. Don't even think twice about the convenience.

I know it's fun to be a nostalgiafag, but being able to hear any song I want whenever I want for free, to say nothing of being able to have any pedantic question I have answered instantly at my leisure, is pretty fucking awesome.
>>
for you people who live in english-speaking countries maybe, but people who grew up watching dubs that got lost in the void have to suffer for all eternity
>>
>>93681758
Hell, remember when your buddy had a mixtape with a song that neither of you knew the name of, so the only time you could hear the song was listening to the mixtape? Maybe if you had a record-store nearby with knowledgeable people they could help you out.

Today you just let an app listen to the song and get a link to where to buy it, no matter where you hear it.
>>
>>93680604

Honestly I didn't realize that a lot of old cartoons were easy to find now because I haven't really tried to find older cartoons since a few years ago, because I couldn't find them.

I am kind of surprised that a lot of cartoons in general are so easily accessible on YouTube though. Not too long ago all of that stuff would have been taken down immediately, but now it lasts really long.
>>
>>93680916
I bought a capture card 8 years ago to back them up digitally. Then I realized that shit happens in real time.

Never going to happen.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.