[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Amazons >Greek warrior society >Hates Ares, the god

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

File: wonder-woman.jpg (297KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
wonder-woman.jpg
297KB, 1280x640px
>Amazons
>Greek warrior society
>Hates Ares, the god of war
>Not worshiping him
>"HURR DERP war is bad so Ares is bad even though we train to fight in wars"
>>
>>93676095
I was more annoyed about the amount of Zeus dick sucking the Amazons were doing. No Hera, Aphrodite, or Athena mentioned at all?
>>
>>93676123
This. I liked it but the Zeus shit really made it seem like they were ashamed of the AMAZON island of ONLY WOMEN created by the GODDESSES
>>
>>93676095

ITT: We don't understand Wonder Woman.
>>
>>93676095
Ares has been a WW on and off for years now.
I hope the gods arent really dead. And we get a rebirth storyline for WW2
>>
>>93676095
>>Greek warrior society
>>Not worshiping him
>>"HURR DERP war is bad so Ares is bad even though we train to fight in wars"

The Greeks themselves had a negative view on Ares. To them he was a mindless and brutal thug, it was Athena who they admired. She represented strategy and tactics.

It was the Romans who held Ares in a better light, though he was called Mars.
>>
>>93676095

Ares was portrayed as a instigator and a corrupter. Amazons were supposed to be wiser peacekeepers.

Diana had it good though. She had genes and a existing society of free warriors to train her since youth. Hyppolita liberated her people not having any of that.
>>
>>93676123
>>93676184
Ares killed them all. They're all dead. Worshipping a dead god only makes sense if it's Jesus since he's better than death.

What part of "Ares is the last God, he killed all the others" didn't you understand?
>>
>>93676628
I really want to see a Hippolyta movie. It doesn't even have to be DC's version.
>>
>>93676095
Even from an ancient Greek perspective, Ares was not truly the God of War. That was Athena. Ares was basically the God of War Crimes and was almost always a villain even in the original mythology.
>>
>>93676641
Zeus is dead too and yet they never shut the fuck up about him, so your logic is flawed numbnuts
>>
>>93676641
Why'd you quote me though? Hippolyta said that the Amazons were created by Zeus, THEN Ares killed all the Gods. I'm saying that the Amazons should have been created by all the Gods together or even just Athena or something.
And your reply still is dumb because you're saying that they should only worship Gods that are alive, and Zeus isn't either, so what the fuck?
>>
Ares killing all the gods was fucking retarded. He was never that strong in the actual myths. Athena literally one-shotted him in the Iliad

Then no more held they long aloof, for Ares, piercer of shields, began the fray, and first leapt upon Athene, brazen spear in hand, and spake a word of reviling: “Wherefore now again, thou dog-fly, [395] art thou making gods to clash with gods in strife, in the fierceness1 of thy daring, as thy proud spirit sets thee on? Rememberest thou not what time thou movedst Diomedes, Tydeus' son, to wound me, and thyself in the sight of all didst grasp the spear and let drive straight at me, and didst rend my fair flesh? Therefore shalt thou now methinks, pay the full price of all that thou hast wrought.” [400] So saying he smote upon her tasselled aegis—the awful aegis against which not even the lightning of Zeus can prevail—thereon blood-stained Ares smote with his long spear. But she gave ground, and seized with her stout hand a stone that lay upon the plain, black and jagged and great, [405] that men of former days had set to be the boundary mark of a field. Therewith she smote furious Ares on the neck, and loosed his limbs. Over seven roods he stretched in his fall, and befouled his hair with dust, and about him his armour clanged. But Pallas Athene broke into a laugh, and vaunting over him she spake winged words: [410] “Fool, not even yet hast thou learned how much mightier than thou I avow me to be, that thou matchest thy strength with mine. On this wise shalt thou satisfy to the full the Avengers invoked of thy mother, who in her wrath deviseth evil against thee, for that thou hast deserted the Achaeans and bearest aid to the overweening Trojans.”
>>
I miss Marvel's Greek pantheon

They will never be in movies, and maybe more frustratingly, they will never cross over with WW again. Also Waid is squatting on Herc and doing fuckall with him.

at least Ewing brought Ares back
>>
File: scottmccloud-630x420.jpg (105KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
scottmccloud-630x420.jpg
105KB, 630x420px
>>93677067
you mean...

A MOVIE ADAPTATION OF A A SUPERHERO COMIC ADAPTATION OF ANOTHER COUNTRY'S MYTHOLOGY WASN'T ACCURATE?!?!

HOOOOLY SHIIIIIIT
>>
>>93677142
there's adaptation and then there's just taking a couple of names and inventing completely new characters around them. In WW they basically turned Zeus into the Christian God and Ares into Satan disregarding any characterisation from the actual Greek mythology.
>>
>>93676095
>constant zeus dick sucking
that was worse desu. Ares was just a constantly angry manlet. The roman version of him, Mars, was actually pretty dope tho
>>
File: 1492032021317.jpg (77KB, 641x641px) Image search: [Google]
1492032021317.jpg
77KB, 641x641px
>>93676095
So is criacionism right on the DCEU? Their earth has like 10000 years and humanity was created by magic shit from Greek gods?
>>
>>93676668
That didn't hold true for Sparta. Sparta considered Ares to be a great and intelligent warrior and Sparta was a martial society. And if Sparta thought more highly of Ares, why not the Amazons?
>>
>>93676095
Then can be a warrior society and still hate Ares and favor Athena instead, she is a god of war as well
>>
>>93676582
>Mars and Ares are the same
Where is a man sized cross when you need one
>>
Anyone else thought it was weird how the "christinized" the greek gods? What was up with that retarded "Ares is pretty much Lucifer" bullshit?
>>
>>93677895
Christians do not understand pantheons in general and lol, I can't believe they made Ares Zeus' rival instead of Hades.
>>
>>93677909
Ares would have been the most likely to pull some shit like that.

Hades minded his own business basically always.

It wasn't Hades stirring up shit during the Trojan Wars.
>>
>>93677208
>>93677895
christinized The Greek gods is something Hollywood has been doing for a long time now.
>>
>>93677909
>Hades
>not Hera
>>
>>93677895
>>93677909
>>93677920
>>93677928
At least it WAS Ares instead of Hades. Ares makes a better Satan figure than Hades, considering Ares is literally the god of butchery and senseless slaughter. The Greeks themselves hated him.
>>
Hades was actually pretty decent to mortals compared to the other gods. Its just that the Greeks were creeped out by him, or rather the domain he ruled over.
>>
>>93677957

They should just use Typhon or a vengeful Chronos (even though War of the Titans was shit) if they want myth-accurate villains for Olympians.
>>
>>93676095
>>93676123
And considering that mythologically the amazons are descendants of Ares...
>>
>>93676123
Well that's because DC decided that the problem with Wonder Woman was that there were too many damn women in it. So the female gods have been kicked to the curb and all hail Zeus' dick!
>>
>>93676582
Not entirely true. The ATHENIANs had a negative view of ares and they sort of became the centre of Greece for a while, so you can see how Ares got a bad rep.
specially when you consider that he was the patron of Sparta, who the Athenians were frequently at war with
>>
>>93676095
There were actually two gods of war.
Ares - a god of unjust wars. Wars where people fight out of greed, lust for power etc.
Athena - a goddess of justified war - when people fight to protect own land, own freedom etc.
Just google some Helenic mythos ffs.
>>
>>93676095
Have you...read any Wonder Woman? Do you even have a passing familiarity with the character?
>>
Wonder Woman was never supposed to be true to the myths. It's its own thing with a loose Ancient Greek inspiration.

>>93678000
Fuck off with that meme already. Hades was not a nice guy.
>>
File: IMG_1020.jpg (84KB, 511x559px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1020.jpg
84KB, 511x559px
>>93678153
>>93678190
>if they want myth-accurate villains for Olympians.
Who the hell said they wanted myth accurate villains? Or myth-accurate Amazons?
Ares (or Mars as he was called in the early issues) is an enemy of the WW Amazons since forever. Marston was clearly setting up a love vs war ideological spilt, and changed the myths to do so, and this has been the centrepiece of DC's Amazons for decades. In case you guys didn't notice, this is not a Greek mythology movie, this is a comic book adaptation, and you would not be so confused now if you read comics
>>
>>93678400
Oh shut the fuck up, Demeter.
>>
>>93676668
No he wasn't.

>>93678224
>>93678282
Ares was the god of individual combat, the war cry, oaths, and vengeance/justice/retribution. There's literally an entire trilogy of plays by Aeschylus about him taking up a role as arbiter of justice in Athens by taming and entombing the Furies beneath the Areopagus (Hill of Ares, also known as where they had their various law arbitration etc.), and Ares is a central figure in the ephebic oath alongside Zeus and Athena, not to mention he's also a god of farming and agriculture along the Ionian coastline.

He got shat on in the Iliad because he was helping the side that Zeus had decided would lose while Achilles threw his temper tantrum and because Athens was wanking over Athena at the time to try and give themselves a half-decent mythological history (notice how there aren't many Athenian heroes in the Iliad? Or how Theseus in all his trials that Athens wrote themselves never manages to measure up to the big-dick Herakles?).
>>
>>93678400

Hades wasn't a nice guy, but he wasn't nearly as much of a bastard as Ares.
>>
>>93676095
>not knowing Athena
Marvelcucks still buttmad I see.
>>
>implying all the gods are dead
Much as I would love for the Olympians to rotting in a ditch somewhere, Athena at least is almost certainly still around. The whole aloof spirit guide thing is her specialty after all. Watch, the sequel will feature a mysterious owl that at one point gives Diana a vital clue.

And I'd be okay with that, honestly, since Athena, in the context of WW, is one of the least cunty of the gods. And yes, that holds true even though Medusa is a thing in these books.
>>
>>93676095
Ares looked like a total fucking loser. Who cpuld take that guy seriously? God of War looks like he gets bullied.
>>
>>93679074

Accurate to myth.
>>
>>93676582
>>93678224
>>93678518
Didn't the Spartan keep a statue of Ares in chains though? I thought they had about the same opinion of Ares as the Athenians did?
>>
File: 8957897.jpg (279KB, 662x1024px) Image search: [Google]
8957897.jpg
279KB, 662x1024px
>>93679073

Twist: Hippolyta's story got it right and the owl isn't Athena.
>>
>>93679097
Symbolically chaining Ares is part of cult practice. It means he will work on your behalf, bound to the land as a protective, nurturing force. There are examples of it in Sparta, Tarentum, some place near Cyprus that begins with an S (I forget it exactly, but it was suffering from pirate attacks, and there was a big chained Ares statue with the writing of "binding him to the land as a protector against piracy"), Thrace, the list goes on.
>>
>>93678400
still the comics are far more accurate than the movie
>>
>>93676582
>It was the Romans who held Ares in a better light, though he was called Mars.
Not exactly.

While they are generally thought as "same gods, different names", there were a number of differences between the Roman Gods and the Greek ones.

Ares was, basically, the God of Bloody War, of Fight, Sweat, Kill or be Killed.
Everything "primal" in War.

Mars otherwise, evolved from a god of harvest, was basically the God of Conquest, of Well Regulated Armies, of Progress and Being Manly Men

In short, Ares is the god of Killing Each Other, Mars is the god of Formal Armies.
>>
>>93677909
>Christians do not understand pantheons in general
in Europe, they do pretty well.

We all study Greek Myths and know well how Pluto\Hades was the chillest god out there and all-around Nice Guy(unlike basically everybody else, mostly a bunch of dicks)
>>
>>93679292
Mate, don't embarrass yourself.
>>
>>93679073
>Athena, in the context of WW, is one of the least cunty of the gods
How, exactly, that can be possible.

ESPECIALLY in WW1
>>
>>93679349
>We all study Greek Myths and know well how Pluto\Hades was the chillest god out there and all-around Nice Guy(unlike basically everybody else, mostly a bunch of dicks)
You have zero clue about Greek myths if that's what you really believe.
>>
>>93679349
Ares was one of the nicest guys when it came to mortal lovers. Also avenged his daughter's rape.
>>
>>93677909
Probably wanted to explicitly avoid any parallels to Disney's Hercules.

Also Hades was a bro. Did not deserve the rep he got from the Disney movie, even if he was swag.
>>
>>93676582
Describing someone as a veritable Mars to tell how FUCKING METAL they are is fairly recent. Latest example I can think of is a description of Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben.
>>
>>93676095
you do know the Greeks often cursed the gods right?
>>
>be Ares
>try to create a peace negotiation to create WWII
>but also influence a general and a scientist to stop those negotiations to continue WWI
???
>>
>>93680138
shitty writing
>>
>>93680138
Hedging his bets, anon.
>>
>>93676516
I'd rather them use ww2 to explore the new gods now that all the "old gods" are dead
>>
>>93676712
Not same anon. But it's probably to keep the plot easy to catch since Zeus serves an important background role. Plus everyone died so might as well have statues of everybody like a graveyard
>>
>>93677067
It's so we don't have to deal with Greek shit anymore and we just have a modern capeshit hero instead
>>
>>93677067
It was not shown how he killed them, he could have attacked each one by surprise.Ares was not really Gods enemy so they would probably trust him.
>>
>>93676095
I got more upset on how Ares killed the rest of the Greek pantheon by himself.
>>
>>93680138
He wanted to push wepons of mass destruction to th next war though Dr poison works.
>>
>>93676095
>stick to the comics
>that's not things are in mythology!!!!
>stick to mythology
>that's not how things are in the comics!!!!
And that's why nobody cares about your input.
>>
>>93680138
>if Dr Poison makes the gas WW1 last ten more years while going full chemical
>if she doesn't, the Armistice is going to cause WW2 just in time for nuclear weapons to be developped
But since this is a thread for butthurt MCU fans, here is a flaw:
>no scene of Keynes warning the british that the negotiations are being unrealistic and they are going to cause another war
>no scene of Ares securing Lenin's train back to Russia
ONE JOB ZACK
>>
His moustache was goofy
>>
>>93676582
No they did not. Ares was only hated by a subset of the Greeks.
>>93677909
>Implying Hades wasn't the least Dickish god
Out of all of them, Hades was the best of the gods in the myths. Fucked with the humans the least. Even if he kidnapped his wife, she still loved him. Only reason she leaves is because she has to.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.