[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should DC make Lord of the Rings comics to rival Marvel's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (722KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
722KB, 1600x1200px
Should DC make Lord of the Rings comics to rival Marvel's Star Wars line?
>>
If they got permission I don't see why not, but I wouldn't read it so whatever.
>>
>>93624926

Good idea - not sure if the fan base would be as strong, but it would be sufficient and can easily be tested.

However, I think the Estate owns the literary rights, the live action was a different thing.

Now that their is Fantastic Beast is a series, DC should find a way to pitch a NON-Harry Potter (as I doubt Rowling would say OK) wizard world for Rowling to OK, presumably based in the USA set of graphic novels or comics.
>>
>>93624926
would be a drier read than Prince Valiant.
>>
>>93624926
>DC does a "Before Watchmen" of Tolkien's classic.
>>
I feel like people love the idea of more lord of the rings but I know no matter what you make, you'll get so much hate for it
>>
>>93625014
Idk if it's possible; Rowling demands involvement in every Harry Potter work (like the stage play and the recent movie), making anything more than one comic book unfeasable. It's also pretty much impossible to persuade her with money since she's absolutely loaded

I guess some graphic novels as you mentioned could work out, but I would assume eventually DC would like to diversify the line like Marvel has doe with Star Wars (a Dumbledore solo, Tom Riddle solo, etc.)
>>
>>93625238

On the flip side that one Harry Potter comic would sell more copies every month than Marvel's entire line just because Rowling's name is attached to it and she's directly involved.
A new story set in the wizarding world of Harry Potter every month? Fans would eat that up.
I doubt DC would mind making that consession. Convincing her is the only hard part since if she did want to do a HP comic, why would she ever need DC when she already has a a publisher and enough money to hire any artist she wants?
>>
>>93625021
>>93625021
You don't know shit mate.
>>
Nononononononononononononononononononononono
>>
been imagining this shit for years but done by marvel.
the idea of a consequenr crossover and dr doom stealing the ring is just so fucking cool to get wasted by another luthor crap.
>>
>>93625473
you can have Black Adam or someone else steal it, doesn't have to be Luthor
>>
>>93625238
>>93625332

She was comfortable with the adaptations of the HP books for the movies, which in numerous respects did things like put the lines of Character A into Character B, deleted entire plot points, etc.

WB talked her into doing the script and she did it as a challenge (and the fact that the adult mystery non-Potter books didn't sell so well), She's not really making any money from writing them, she's making more money as a producer if the films themselves make money.

The graphic novels would be licensed and would be non-Harry - it's not a money thing, she's done a lot of world building and I'm sure she could get into some world building of the USA wizard world.

She already has the back stories for Riddle and Dumbledore. I think she would be open to THOSE characters, any pre 1980 characters being developed and fleshed out.

>>93625332
She's shown no indication of wanting to self-publish. Or to control the people doing the art for even the current 'anniversary reissues.'

Schoolastic (her USA publisher) already has agreements with DC and WB. The publish a set of Capstone (their imprint) young reader books featuring DC characters.

They could easily likely do a set of Fantastic Beast young reader books for the pre-teen and kiddie set, that Capstone would publish as DC/Capstone the way they already do, with Rowling making the same kind of money she did on Fantastic Beast (or FUCK she's done stuff for charity, she could do it solely to donate the money for any number of causes she supports). And then DC Comics could do a Teen line of monthly comics set in the USA Wizzarding World.

The one thing she DECLINED to do was make graphic novel adaptations of the Harry books, so I assume that would stand. But then she had also long refused to do E-books of the HP series which no longer stands as of a few years back so....
>>
>>93625037
It's less blasphemous IMO because although Tolkien is a god among fantasy writers, Middle-earth has so much lore that you can recount basic stories and give them a little bit of personal creative flourish so it won't alter anything. Before Watchmen basically had to make up stories that no one wanted to see in the first place, but I'd be OK with seeing a tragedy where Thorin's family fights against Smaug
>>
>>93625473
Prime Marvel would work, but current Marvel is in such an abysmal state that I would let them touch Lord of the Rings with a Galactus-sized pole. I'm not saying DC does no wrong, and they could very well fuck up LotR comics, but they're in a better position to trust them with Middle-earth. Also, LotR is affiliated with Warner Bros so the rights may be easier to transfer to DC
>>
>>93625604
That's cool, I don't think anyone is really clamouring for HP graphic novel adaptations regardless, more so than comics to develop the less-told stories in the Harry Potter realm
>>
No.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.