[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best way to get introduced to GI Joe and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: gijoetf.jpg (95KB, 620x470px) Image search: [Google]
gijoetf.jpg
95KB, 620x470px
What's the best way to get introduced to GI Joe and the Transformers? I want to start with the 80's stuff - my general understanding is that for G.I. Joe, the comic is the way to go, and with Transformers it's the cartoon.

Is that the case, or would you all recommend something else?
>>
>>93603100

The Transformers cartoon is remembered fondly by people who grew up with it in the 1980s - but to be honest a lot of it's not all that great. The Marvel comics were uneven - particularly towards the end of Bob Budiansky's run - but there was some good stuff in there.

I'd start by reading the first 12-18 issues or so of the Marvel US comic - and then check out the first season of the cartoon (13 episodes) and the early Marvel UK stories (there was a weekly comic in the UK, so there were additional stories published which fit around events in the US comics).
>>
>>93603100
Read the Marvel Comics (specifically the GI Joe ones)

Then read the IDW comics, an anon is story timing the stuff >>93599028 the quality of the stories varies though.

I don't know much about the cartoons other than I fucking loved GI Joe Renegades and Beast Wars, maybe someone else can help you there.
>>
>>93604488
>>93604032
Thank you both. I'll bump just to let some other anons fill in with their opinions before I figure out what to buy and/or download.
>>
>>93603100
The G.I. Joe comic that Marvel published is legitimately my favorite comic ever made. You can get all of it plus the continuation at IDW here: >>93584701
>>
TRANSFORMERS: THE BASICS ep 1 - Continuity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h1Uwk17Zdc

TRANSFORMERS: THE BASICS ep 5 - IDW Comics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx0TDMWphOU
>>
Wow, these are great videos.
>>
>>93607685
Referring to these: >>93606193
>>
>>93606193
Where is the flowchart from the first video from?
>>
File: 1433856851669.jpg (71KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
1433856851669.jpg
71KB, 500x327px
>>93603100
For Transformers, it's the G1 cartoon just to get a gist of where the whole fandom started. If you're yearning for something G1 but with more depth, the IDW comics are the way to go.

Other generations and movies, you're free to choose which ones to follow since they're their own universe, but you also need to know what year they've been released to know where some design, easter eggs and story elements originated from.
>>
File: 10 All Hail Galvatron!.jpg (125KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
10 All Hail Galvatron!.jpg
125KB, 768x1024px
>>93603100
The Transformers comics are generally pretty bad even by merchandise tie-in comics. Marvel ranges from clunky to pretentious to edgy, Dreamwave tried to nostalgia-pander, IDW (minus Transformers vs G.I. Joe) is SJW-pandering, Japanese versions aren't serious, etc.

If you want the bare minimum Transformers I'd say go with
>G1 - Pilot/More Than Meets The Eye 1-3, The Movie, Webworld, The Burden Hardest to Bear
>BW - First two eps, all the first appearances, the flying island/Other Visitors/Vok episodes, the finale
>Bayverse - 1st movie
>Animated - the first arc
>>
File: Lincoln.webm (3MB, 1000x416px) Image search: [Google]
Lincoln.webm
3MB, 1000x416px
>>93609048
Third movie was like a written love letter to the G1 series only with too many ink blots (being the humans).
>>
In 24 and never grew up with Transformers. In January, after getting laid off, I gave the original G1 cartoon a try and loved it.

And holy shit, the animated movie that takes place between season 2 and 3 is fucking AMAZING. Seriously.

Though, I think it might be worth skipping season 4 (it's only 3 episodes) and watching "Transformers Headmasters" instead. I just started it today, and it's pretty great so far. It's like the real season 4.
>>
File: GUN GOD MEET YOUR AVATAR.jpg (337KB, 630x969px) Image search: [Google]
GUN GOD MEET YOUR AVATAR.jpg
337KB, 630x969px
>>93603100
go read Transformers vs GI Joe
>>
>>93610576
this
>>
>>93610576
>>93610798
Most of the awesomeness of this book will be lost on someone who has no experience with either franchise.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.