[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel religion works on civilians in the Marvel and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 675914-the_homeless_god_7.jpg (111KB, 1184x652px) Image search: [Google]
675914-the_homeless_god_7.jpg
111KB, 1184x652px
How do you feel religion works on civilians in the Marvel and DC universe?
How do they maintain the bible, qu'oran, talmud or any other sacred gospel that claims to have the word of the one true god, when it's quantifiable reality that several gods of several religions actually exist?
Thor and Odin exist, egyptian gods exist, Ares exist, but does Yaweh or Allah exist?
>>
The average person doesn't see 99.999% of the cosmic shit that goes down.

To them, if someone shows up saying they're Thor, it's just an alien or metahuman who thinks they're Thor.

It isn't any different from real life where you already have several competing, diametrically opposed religions yet people choose to believe only one.

There's an issue of Perez's Wonder Woman that deals with this, with Hermes deciding that people don't believe in the Greek gods anymore so he needs to go out and meet with them. Some people start following him and some just say he's a kook who thinks he's a god. Also I think Fraction's Thor dealt with it while Asgard was temporarily in like Kansas or Kentucky or something.
>>
>>93581294
>when it's quantifiable reality that several gods of several religions actually exist?

> hey dudes, several gods exists but ours is the real deal

Come on, anon, christianity even explicitely forbids worship of other gods.
>>
>>93581474
I feel like in all these years of stories there must be one occurrence where something like the Beyonder, the Watcher, the Living Tribunal or something have interacted with all the people in the planet, or at least a large group to be reported globally.
>>
>>93581294

Oh boy.

Thor and Odin aren't on any higher plane of existence than the humans of Marvel.

Let's say Stan Lee wrote every Marvel book ever for arguments sake. It wouldn't matter if none of the Marvel characters believed in him, he's the one that fucking wrote them all.

Similarly, if Allah exists and created us all, then in Marvel, it wouldn't matter if they didn't know about him, he's on a higher plane of existence than Stan Lee who is then on a higher plane of existence than the characters.

If Allah/Yaweh exists, than they exist in Marvel, regardless of whether any Marvel characters know of them in the same way Stan Lee still exists regardless of characters like Beyonder, the Watcher have seen him etc...
>>
>>93581294
>but does Yaweh or Allah exist?

Yes, I believe as separate entities too.

But to answer your question about how it works, there was a nice Thor story where a catholic priest started to question his faith for the very reason you pointed out. Till one day he met Thor and asked if his religion was true.

Thor basically says he doesn't have the answer and for him to ask tomorrow, then when tomorrow comes he asks again and Thor gives the same answer. This process repeats for a few times till the pastor is on his death bed and he asks Thor one last time. Thor reveals that he doesn't know where Asgardians came from, meaning there must have been someone who created them as well, so essentially if Thor doesn't even know if Jesus exists, then why would Thor's existence rule out the Catholic belief.
>>
>>93581815
There is literally no reason to bring meta into this. The question is totally limited to their established universes.

As for your argument that if one of them is real it doesn't matter is his existence has been confirmed or not, because he still made them all. Yes, that is true, but the problem is that the only evidence of Yaweh or Allah's existence is a book, the same book that DICTATES that if he is real, then he must be the only divinity.
And when you have gods that prove other religions were right, then by consequence their one must be wrong if they claim they are the only ones. Even further on Marvel we know the existence of the One Above All, by concept he can't be created by another being.
>>
>>93581928
Unless in their universes the gospels are different and don't rule that every religion is blasphemous.
>>
>>93581294
I feel like the threat of alien invasions, all kinds of Magic, heroes coming back from the dead and huge fuck all crazy sentient beings that walk the earth from time to time would legitimize the shit out of Scientology in a comic book universe.

Like Scientology is more accurate to what we actually see on a day to day basis than any other religion.
>>
>>93581928
That doesn't really fly with me. In the case of christian religions. There are a dozen possibilities that could explain Jesus, as some kind of fraud. Apocalypse had his time being worshiped as a god. I mean Judaism could very well still be an actual thing. It was a religion that existed long before Moses. And who can say what other worldly being(s) that interacted directly with man were and weren't. But men with powers on earth "granted by god" that all falls under mutants, stray Inhumans, magic, disguarded alien technology it could be anything. I feel like that alone doubles or triples the reasons for skepticism more than who created the god I don't pray to. Because that's the very same question we ask about god here and now. And in consideration of the tenants, traditions and practices of religion and in many cases those having some bearing on your "final destination" then telling me that there is possibly a god that created a god doesn't mean on some level I wasn't wasting my life praying to a god that never made any mention of other gods and in fact said all other gods were false. If this was MCU and Thor was saying nope just an extra-dimensional alien, OK. You have some wiggle room. But Thor maintaining his position as god but maybe there's a higher power even to him, does in my opinion rule out the Catholic belief. Or at least brings into question its legitimacy.
>>
>>93581928
>>93582677
Yeah, God says he doesn't know what made them, which doesn't confirm any specific god. The fact that Asgardians don't have a bible or don't know about Yaweh and his very specific rules only gives reason to conclude that humans made that up.
>>
>>93582795
I meant Thor, not God*
>>
>>93582823
Thor is God

Is anyone here telling stories about "God" trying to comforting priests on their death bed. NOPE, that was Thor.
>>
The ten commandments explicitly state that there are other gods who shouldn't be worshiped before God-God and of course spirits and demons and such. So actually seeing that stuff around might reinforce religion for some people.
>>
File: Malachi and Daniel.jpg (653KB, 1280x1967px) Image search: [Google]
Malachi and Daniel.jpg
653KB, 1280x1967px
reminder that angels are dicks
>>
>>93583246
I think I remember this.
Was this Ghost Rider?
>>
>>93582969
No they don't, mate. It says other gods are "false gods", without actual miracle powers with the exception of demonic ones. See the whole lamb parable, the commandment is about humans making up gods that aren't real, which of course is highly ironical.
>>
>>93581928
Wow Thor is a dick

He wasted so much of that guy's time
>>
>>93583246
Crain's art look so off in this.
>>
>>93581294
I think they can do some good shit with this
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.