[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is going to sound like a dumb question but pleas read through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (124KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124KB, 970x545px
This is going to sound like a dumb question but pleas read through what I have to say before you dismiss it:

Do you consider Wonder Woman to be a greek myth?

We're all well aware that Diana's real-world origin is neither ancient nor greek, but as live culture myths can continue grow long after their creators are dead. The question is whether her story falls is any less a part of greek myth than Dante is to christianity

Whether wonder woman is a modern myth should not be up for debate - she is the most famous superheroine of all time for fuck's sake - but is she a an ascended character or is she just another superhero

This question also applies to the marvel versions of Thor and Loki: can their stories be considered latter-day norse myths, or are they just public domain characters
>>
>>93580815
No
>>
>>93580815
>Do you consider Wonder Woman to be a greek myth?
No
>>
>>93580815
..the fuck?
>>
>>93580815

No.

>Whether wonder woman is a modern myth should not be up for debate

A myth isn't a famous story you idiot.

Does Wonder Woman attempt to explain the operations of the universe? Is Wonder Woman a person that was or has been believed by the majority of society to be real, and whose exploits have been tied into the religious beliefs of that society?
>>
>>93580815
Nope. Amazons ain't even Greek.
>>
>>93580973
That's not really the definition of a myth, thats just a certain kind of myth

A myth is more a fictional or fictionalized story with fantastic elements and immense staying power. Joan of arc is a myth despite being a real person and explaning nothing of the natural world. The same could be said for most fairy tales and tall tales.

Im not some idiot who thinks wonder woman is a religious icon, but her role in our culture is no different from that of Hercules, and given that she's shown the qualities of a myth, we must ask "is she a myth" and if yes, is she a greek myth, or just an American one?
>>
>>93580815
No it cant.
Because it means traditional and originated there.
Its all just based on, but could become a american myth.

>she is the most famous superheroine of all time for fuck's sake
That would be Catwoman or Batgirl or Supergirl. If modern than Harley.
>>
>>93581202
>Joan of arc is a myth
No she isnt.
Her powers or her story is a myth.

I dont agree full on the other anons point, but he is right, she isnt a myth or can be a myth.
Her story is tailormade. Was never believed to be real.
otherwise Sherlock Holmes would be a myth. but he isnt, even he wasnt based on a real person and some believed he existed.
>>
>>93581202
>Joan of arc is a myth

Jeanne d'Arc is not a myth. She's a famous historical figure.

There are myths involving Jeanne d'Arc. Much as there are myths involving Alexander of Macedonia.

A myth is a fictionalization of events or a fictional being that people have believed to be real. Not every famous person or character is a myth, though they often have myths associated with them, such as the belief held by some (and very much encouraged by the man himself) that Alexander was a child of Zeus.

>but her role in our culture is no different from that of Hercules

Yes, but Hercules' role in our culture is not what makes him a mythic figure.

It's his role in ancient Greek and Roman culture that does that.
>>
>>93581272
If you ask some random person on the street to name a superheroine do you expect them to name any of those? Hell, two of them are neither super nor heroes
>>
OP, read Super Gods by Grant Morrison.
>>
>>93581496
Actually, I tried this out a while back. Granted, it was before the recent WW film.

Not one person listed Wonder Woman first. Most people said Catwoman or Rogue or Storm. And some of these people weren't even normalfags - they weren't into comics, but most of them were pretty heavily into vidya or tabletop and the like. One of them brought up WW as like their fifth name, and, I shit you not, had to take a moment to remember her name - at first she said 'America Woman', though she knew that wasn't right and was just kinda flailing for the correct words.

You know what surprised me the most? How often people said Black Cat or fucking X-23 as their third or fourth name. This was before Logan, by the way.

I imagine this would vary a lot by country though.
>>
>>93581380
>>93581416

I did say "fictionalized" didn't I? She may be real but the stories told of her are myths. The same can be said of jesus, buddha, zoroaster or even nikola tesla.

As for this whole "nobody believes in her" thing, does that disqualify diana? Nobody past or present would tell you that cinderella was real but you can't honestly tell me that's not a myth.
>>
>>93581628
OP, don't do that, it's pretentious drivel with no understanding of the concepts it approaches.

Read some real books about mythology and religion. Karen Armstrong's stuff is a good springboard.
>>
>>93581202
Capeshit is as much of a "myth" as Ronalds McDonald's.
>>
>>93581661
What country anon? I can imagine diana is less popular outside america and the hellenic world, both due to undermarketing and cultural appeal.

Also, i wonder how the spanish speaking world sees batman compared to zorro
>>
>>93581676
>She may be real but the stories told of her are myths.

Not all of them, dude.

Many are myths or have been mythologized. Jeanne d'Arc herself is not a myth, she is simply featured in myths.

>The same can be said of jesus, buddha, zoroaster or even nikola tesla.

Sort of. Any historian will tell you you're treading on shaky ground by calling Buddha or Zoroaster a myth. Their exploits were mythologized and these versions of them are certainly mythological, but the historical Buddha or the historical Zoroaster is a different matter.

It's correct to call these people historical figures who are the subject of many myths.

>As for this whole "nobody believes in her" thing, does that disqualify diana?

Yes.

>Nobody past or present would tell you that cinderella was real but you can't honestly tell me that's not a myth.

Yeah I can. Cinderella is a fable, not a myth.
>>
>>93581496
>Hell, two of them are neither super nor heroes
Because Catwoman and Harley are vigilantes doesnt make them not superheroes.

>If you ask some random person on the street to name a superheroine do you expect them to name any of those?
Sure all 4 had so much screentime and exposure.
Than go ask in india and you wont hear WonderWoman, but Batgirl and Supergirl, because everyone knows Superman and Batman. They will know there is a genderbender character or assume it and just exchange man with girl by default.
That makes them the most famous superheroine, because they kinda know or will name them.
WonderWoman is only well known in USA and even there by some who are comic/kids show affine.
Its like Vitamin B, everyone knows Batman and Superman, so they will know them. And will even get more media coverage or exposure.
>>
>>93581782
I've tried it in Britain, France, and Japan.

I doubt the hellenic world likes WW that much. They tend to prefer stories about actual mythological characters when they do mythology in their comics.

That said, prior to this film, I doubt many people knew Diana was meant to be associated with Greece. Pretty much nobody I asked knew what her origin was or what she was about.
>>
>>93581661
Forgot Storm and Rouge which always got much coverage in shows and film.

Good additions anon.
>>
im going to agree to disagree with you all on wonder woman, but in the future I would recommend you try to see more of your own culture from an outside perspective without drawing lines in the sand. Being unafraid to ask dumb questions and make connections can give you more rounded view of the world.

Nice arging with you.
>>
>>93581676
But Joanis a real person, her actions are real and tracable in history, even her trail.
But its a myth that god spoke to her. Some believed that, some not.

> does that disqualify diana?
Not that many believed she is a real person. And she is made and trademarked by a corporation.
Thats why.

>Nobody past or present would tell you that cinderella was real but you can't honestly tell me that's not a myth.
Thats no myth, thats a fable or childrenstory.
Its based upon a myth which came from a real person and real politics and even this theory where this story comes from could be described as a myth.
But the character or story itself is never seen as a myth.
>>
>>93582137
Noone said you are dumb.
No question is dumb.
But like an anon pointed it out, have a misconception of the definition of "myth".
And it wasnt about connection you asked, but interpretation.
Wish you good luck.
>>
>>93580815
>Thor and Loki: can their stories be considered latter-day norse myths
Absolutely not
>>
File: Amazon.jpg (81KB, 736x663px) Image search: [Google]
Amazon.jpg
81KB, 736x663px
>Amazons
>Greek
They were supposed to be one of the Iranic tribes, probably Scythian or Sarmatian, who lived somewhere around the area that nowadays is Eastern Europe.
A Greek myth doesn't necessarily have to be about Greeks, you know.
>>
>>93582137
>in the future I would recommend you try to see more of your own culture from an outside perspective without drawing lines in the sand

I'm outsider to both American and ancient Hellenic culture.

In fact, we're all outsiders to ancient Hellenic culture.
>>
>>93580815
>This is going to sound like a dumb question

You're right about that at least. It was a dumb question, unbelievably, shamefully dumb.

It's like if Terri Schiavo could have somehow typed right at the end, that's the kind of question she would have had.
>>

No. She's not greek enough. She's only slight more greek than Ronald Mcdonald is scottish. The local Turkish kebab place is more greek.

Take 90 seconds looking at her design. She's American as fuck.
>>
>>93580815
an intresting idea but the main thing to understand about mythos is that at one point in time people genuinly belived that they were true. no on believes ww is real so i would say no its not part of greek mythology. maybe in a distant future where comics are mistaken for historical belief it will be but as of right now no.
>>
>>93580815
She isn't a myth and she wasn't invented by Greeks, so the answer is no.

A mythical hero would be Hercules or Gilgamesh. When those stories were being told, the masses actually believe in them.

Diana is not a myth because her stories were never intended to be or perceived to be true stories.

She's a FICTIONAL American hero.
>>
>>93584399
Everyone always forgets Irish Hercules.
>>
>>93581628
So is Morrison is the one to blame for this retarded "capes are myths" meme?
>>
I am not even going to argue about of she is a myth or not.
She is not Greek so she can't possibly be a Greek myth.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.