[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do feminists prefer unrealistic characters like Wonder Woman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1401722752218.jpg (7KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
1401722752218.jpg
7KB, 211x239px
Why do feminists prefer unrealistic characters like Wonder Woman as opposed to realistic women like Peggy Hill?

Shouldn't she be a feminist icon?
>>
Women prefer their female characters to be self insert, mary sue fantasies who can never ever be in the wrong

Peggy Hill is in the wrong plenty of times (but also in the right a few times)
>>
>>93576359
Same reason Superman is more popular than Hank Hill.
>>
oh boy it's this thread again
get ready for basement dwelling neckbearded virgins thinking they're superior to roasties
>>
Peggy loves her husband, her child and her life as a homemaker and part time school teacher, she's everything current gen feminists hate
>>
>>93576460
Prove that the roasties that like the new awful Wonder Woman movie are better than those same people
>>
>>93576359
I know this is a dumb bait thread that we just did, but

Because Peggy's a fucking joke in the show, even from the perspective of other female characters, literally a delusional idiot. You could point to one positive trait like "well she loves her family" and act like that should somehow make her an icon, but that's so general it can be applied to a bunch of female characters that aren't treated as jokes.

Men look down on Peggy, women look down on Peggy, everyone looks down on Peggy. You can say she has some non-terrible traits but she's not much of a role model herself.
>>
>>93576651
>Women that don't meet some arbitrary standard are subhuman dog shit!

This is a really pathetic post.
>>
>>93576696
more bait

I'm saying of course people aren't going to identify and hold up as an icon a character who's presented as ridiculous even in the show and isn't meant to be inspirational.

That's not to say she's a terrible person if she were real. It's saying she's played as a joke because it's a comedy.
>>
>>93576763
I like Peggy Hill because she works well as a hero and a villain. She's a FLAWED character and I've never looked down on her except when she goes way past the brink

But like any real person who doesn't think they're wrong (but they actually are), they think they're in the right.
>>
>>93576813
I actually agree with this.

There's just a difference between appreciating the character because she's written well, and acting like she should be a feminist icon just because she's a woman, even though a lot of the time she's not meant to be taken seriously at all.

If someone actually finds her inspirational it's cool, but it shouldn't be surprising that most don't.
>>
>>93576889
I think it speaks very clearly and obviously about women though when neither Peggy nor Marge are looked on as any kind of positive characters for women and would prefer unrealistic pander machine characters like Wonder Woman
>>
>>93576651
>even from the perspective of other female characters
other female characters know she'll beat their ass
>>
>>93576964
The thing is, I was actually going to say in my first post that Marge would actually make a better "feminist icon" than Peggy, if the OP post weren't bait.

In the show itself Marge isn't really treated as inherently a joke like Peggy can be, while also being flawed, loving her family, etc.
>>
File: shes fine oh.jpg (41KB, 744x582px)
shes fine oh.jpg
41KB, 744x582px
>>93577062
>SHE'S FINE
>Oh

But its also because The Simpsons has to portray Homer like an idiot (who, like Peggy, is still a quality human being and a respectable person despite being a jerk or an idiot sometimes in the early seasons)
>>
>>93577122
Yeah, I think both shows have the opposite situation going on: Peggy/Homer are too often treated as idiots despite also having positive traits, so that viewers probably wouldn't see them as role models; despite having jokes made about them or certain episodes where they look bad Hank/Marge are more often presented as respectable.

But that's just me; I dunno if I'd really call any of them potential icons. Mainly just because if it's a comedy show there's always going to be some times where they go beyond acting like a real person.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.