[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make an action orientated comic, but the the problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: comiccollage.png (973KB, 720x450px) Image search: [Google]
comiccollage.png
973KB, 720x450px
I want to make an action orientated comic, but the the problem is I've never drawn a comic before and I don't know where to start. What are some comics that could be good references in regards to panel composition, pacing, and writing?
>>
Just read lots of comics in general, I make comics and read comics daily no mater the type.
>>
>>93522015
The dark Knight returns and Robin are fantastic when it comes to action.
>>
>>93522015
SCUD's action is great.
>>
>>93523041
THIS.
>>
>>93523003
*ronin
>>
Like the first guy said, step one is to just read comics. Figure out what artists/writers you like and think about what draws you to them, what is it they do that you'd like to do.

I also suggest as an intro Making Comics by Scott McCloud. It's a beefy book and kind of an intimidating read but incredibly thorough.

Also get a book on perspective like Perspective for Comics Artists by David Chelsea. That is one of the most important things that you should start early on is putting figures and background together, even moreso than the finer details of anatomy, machines etc.
>>
if you want my personal shortlist of inspirational material
Nextwave by Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen
Sin City: The Hard Goodbye by Frank Miller
Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo
Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons

Kinda basic bitch but the point is to take what inspires you and learn from it.
>>
>>93523341
This. Also keep in mind you don't have to draw like an angel to draw comics. Plenty of people have started from 0 and made something truly great. I recommend looking at a comic called Revenger to see what I'm talking about.
>>
>>93522015
study art techniques and classical cartooning techniques

don't copy comics, that's how you end up like rob liefeld
>>
>>93522015
Follow Jesse Hamm on Twitter, he talks a lot about basic panel composition and art tricks for sequentials.
>>
>>93523003
any of Frank Miller's early work is great inspiration
Jack Kirby and Walt Simonson are both masters of perspective and lines of motion
also watching old cartoons like Looney Tunes and Disney shorts helps alot
>>
Read some of Warren Ellis's more action-y comics. His James Bond and Moon Knight for sure have some of the best fight scenes in the last few years from Western comics.
>>
>>93522050
This guy is right, and so are allthe other guys, but pme thingthat gets left out of a lot of these discussions is inking.
Inking is the hidden soul of the art. Study everything, sure, defintely, but take some time to look at how black is laid down. Figure out how much you want to lay down.
Think about the ink, anon.
>>
>>93524621
And avoid poser and tracing; it's how you end up worse than Rob Liefield.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.