[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It always bugs me how Zatanna's spells are portrayed in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: annataz.jpg (620KB, 1026x1600px) Image search: [Google]
annataz.jpg
620KB, 1026x1600px
It always bugs me how Zatanna's spells are portrayed in animated adaptation.

A big part of the character's charm is, to me, being able to reverse read her incantations and understand it, and simply reversing the audio, although faithful to the source material, doesn't cut it for me, it always comes across as "she says some gibberish".

How could a competent director achieve the reverse spelling without coming off as unintellegible?
>>
>>93509886

The best that could be done would be to make it a bit more distinguishable for the ears.

Instead of her flipping each word, she might just do a reverse-word order. "Earthquake under your feet" could be "feet your under earthquake" instead of "ekauqhtrae rednu ruoy teef".

The reversed-word trick that is cute in comics simply does not work when spoken, different medium needs a different trick. Flipping the word order is probably the closest equivalence.
>>
it's just one of those things that can't be adapted, you have to change it for it to work
>>
File: 1342708221_gifki-uzhas-6.gif (990KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1342708221_gifki-uzhas-6.gif
990KB, 245x245px
>>93510122
>>93510164
!uoy kcuF
!oot uoy dnA
>>
>>93510193
Sorry m8, it's just how it is. Different mediums have different limitations. Animation and live action are as flawed as anything else.

I think maybe you could give her spells a visual cue where the spells visually go up on the screen so people can see that it's backwards like how Mxy sometimes spells his name on screen but it feels like it would get cluttered unless she only does a few of them.
>>
i understand that it's bad storytelling to expect viewers to pick up an otherwise-worthless skill just to appreciate your work, but it's really not hard to understand backwards audio with a little practice. hell, my dad & uncles learned to speak backwards to each other all the time after practicing with a cassette recorder.
>>
>>93510122
>>93510164
OP here. That would completely fuck up the character.
>>
>>93509886
If it was me, instead of having the actress say it normally and then reversing the audio track, I would have the script spell it out backwards, and then have the actress read THAT normally.

It would still be a bit unintelligible, but I don't think you're going to get away from that.
>>
>>93510804
That's literally what they did for Twin Peaks mate.
>>93510193

Add a visual component to the backwards speech and you're done.
>>
>>93510804
Which is how they've always done it in animated adaptations.

Call me stupid, but I can't even understand the simple spell she utters at the end of this clips, except that it contains the word "back", May be just because I'm not an English native speaker, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTVxLMmnUTg
>>
File: mazahs.jpg (23KB, 736x460px) Image search: [Google]
mazahs.jpg
23KB, 736x460px
>>93510834
>Add a visual component to the backwards speech and you're done.

I though of that too, but subtitles would be look clunky.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.