[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys how do into the current Marvel comics? I know it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9

File: Marvel-Comics-800x420.jpg (162KB, 800x420px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel-Comics-800x420.jpg
162KB, 800x420px
Guys how do into the current Marvel comics? I know it's probably shit these days but I still want to read some, but with reboots that are actually just continuations and huge crossovers every year I never feel like there's a good time to start reading any. Got that new Spider-Man book and it was bretty gud.

Help me /co/, you're my only hope
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-13-17-04-54.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-13-17-04-54.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
This is a short list of the titles I enjoyed following Secret Wars:

Vision
Carnage
Squadron Supreme
Moon Knight
Contest of Champions
Spider-Man and Deadpool
Silk
Hyperion AIMvengers
Avengers: Standoff
Illuminati
All New Wolverine
Doctor Strange
Old Man Logan
Ms Marvel
All New Avengers
Deadpool
Weirdworld
Ultimates
Spider-Man Renew Your Vows

Hope you find something in this list you can enjoy anon.
>>
>>93478581

There haven't actually ever been any rebbot in the Marvel Universe: it operates with time-sliding timescale and certain events are dropped or altered from time to time. Example:

- Iron man's kidnappers in his origin story were originally Viet Cong, now they are Afghan Taliban (I believe).

- Captain America was originally in ice for only 15 years at the end of the Word War II. They have been stretching that "off-time" ever since and will continue in the future.

- Punisher originally was a Vietnam vet. Now, he's a second Iraq War vet, etc...

- Magneto is a Holocaust survivor. To explain his middle-age looks, they de-aged him via some convoluted reason.

- There are some cosmic in-universe explanation for this (fluid past), but they are usually reserved for comics that deal with magic & cosmic space craziness like Al Ewing's Ultimates
>>
Renew Your Vows is basically the only book worth a damn these days.
>>
File: 030_14.jpg (753KB, 1000x1537px) Image search: [Google]
030_14.jpg
753KB, 1000x1537px
Shit, I also forgot Great Lakes Avengers, Unworthy Thor and Rocket
>>
>>93478852
That's a boatload of Marvel titles and a lot of those listed are shit.
>>
>>93478581
Get marvel unlimited or find a site to read comics and just start clicking characters you like and things that look cool.
>>
File: IMG_3702.jpg (1MB, 2255x3423px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3702.jpg
1MB, 2255x3423px
>>93478581
All New Wolverine is a pretty fun read. It's not as violent as edgy as past x-23 stories but it's still a good action/Adventure series. All you gotta know is that Logan is dead right now
>>
>>93478974
Can I get a run down on this?
>>
>>93478581
If you can wait a bit more, wait until September when they'll start their relaunch.

If you can't wait, then I suggest you just start with the titles you wanna read. Despite all the shitpost you'll find on /co/, you can actually find almost all your favorite chracters in current comics. They might not be the same as they are in the media you saw them first, but they're still them. So we can start by you saying which characters you wanna read.
>>
>>93479065
Even so I still enjoyed reading them, I never said these were the 'best' titles, that's subjective, I simply gave a list of the comics from the past two years that I enjoyed. I'm curious though, what makes you think the majority of the listed comics are shit?
>>
File: 033_11.jpg (900KB, 1000x1537px) Image search: [Google]
033_11.jpg
900KB, 1000x1537px
>>93479107
The girl is a werewolf (or a variation of one) who lives in hiding with her brother. She joins up with the GLA under the code name "Good Boy" because that's what she calls her Fursona.
>>
>>93479147
I never said a majority. I said a lot.

Lemire's Moon Knight is boring as hell writing wise mediocre art.
Spider-man Deadpool is funnyish?
Silk is crap.
Hyperion is decompressed crap writing with good art.
Doctor Strange I expected to go somewhere but it just stays milkwarm and doesn't capture the far out trippyness that was great about old strange titles his characterization is off too.
All New Avengers is cancer.
>>
>>93479302
Another thought. I think I'm only reading some of the Star Wars Titles from Marvel now. I went from having 80% of my titles being Marvel ten years ago to maybe 15%. They just haven't paid for top talent and it shows.
>>
File: tumblr_n5swaok9JS1qjk1cko1_500.png (106KB, 500x578px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5swaok9JS1qjk1cko1_500.png
106KB, 500x578px
>>93478581
>>93478952

Given that you mentioned Spider-man, I'm going to recommend you the following:

- Scarlet Spider (2012) by Christopher Yost. It's a fun series that mixes dark and light moments with good action and a great emotional journey.

It's about this character, Kaine Parker, who guilt-ridden & tired of all the bullshit of his past (he's a ex-villain flawed clone of Spider-man), decides he's had enough and tries to escape to Mexico to rest and drink Margaritas in the beach.

But, making a stop in Houston, TX to steal money from criminals to finance this trip, he realizes something is VERY WRONG and ends up rescuing this very special Mexican girl and decides (very reluctantly) to become this city's grumpy, ridiculously violent and unconventional hero.

He gets into all sort of fun stuff (fighting talking Mexican werewolves, bedding random strangers, disarming nuclear devices without knowing how, yelling obscenities at grandmas & other innocent civilians after saving them, etc..., but the main draws are:

1. His (hilarious) "tough guy" inner voice.

2. Seeing how different he really is to Spider-man (aside from his more manlier look, he doesn't have Peter's memories - no Uncle Ben's advice, no love of Aunt May)

3. His supporting cast & the bonds he develops with them. Specially with the girl he saves, she's called Aracely, who's his polar opposite in personality and also unbeknownst to them both a true demigod - the reincarnation of the Aztec Sun and War god Huitzilopochtli, the Hummingbird Lord.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-17-14-40-44.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-17-14-40-44.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>93479302
>I never said a majority. I said a lot
That's my bad for assuming your meaning anon, however I can't agree with you for most of your points. Moon Knight is a bit boring doing the whole "Am I crazy am I sane?" trope, but I found the art complemented the writing very well. As for Hyperion, the story was rushed because of the few issues it was allowed, but it did a good job at establishing was Hype was doing, a side character for him to interact with and a fresh group of new villains for him to fight, as well as bringing Thundra into the series just as she joined the ranks of the Squadron. As for Spider-Man and Deadpool, I don't think people read Kelly's comics to laugh, but what that series suffered from was the delays and guest writer issues. Silk became garbage the moment the artist left so I can't really disagree with you there, but I liked All New Avengers, I just wish the roster hadn't been FalCap and JaneThor, replace the two of them and it was have been much more enjoyable.

Thank you for having actual reasons that don't involve "SJW boogiemen" and "Not Muh" and "Synergy" though, I can tell that you actually read comics and I appciate that, even if we don't see eye to eye on everything.
>>
>>93479525
Thanks. Vision was gold. I haven't read some of the others.

I gave MK 5+ issues and dropped it and Doctor Strange more than that, I only dropped it a few months ago.

I just think there's better superhero stuff out there to spend my money on. Valiant has some great titles right now, Image has a decent amount, DC's line has rejuvenated somewhat as well.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-23-22-32-30.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-23-22-32-30.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
>>93479649
Vision was amazing, I mean, when was the last time Shakespear made you cry?
>>
File: tumblr_mqyyvwdBQr1rpln3ao2_1280.png (760KB, 558x726px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqyyvwdBQr1rpln3ao2_1280.png
760KB, 558x726px
>>93479412

I see other people already recommended other good comics I was gonna talk about.

From these >>93478852 >>93478967 >>93479081, I would like to vouch for:

- Vision (surprisingly good- I never liked Vision until Tom King did this excellent work).

- Spider-Man and Deadpool (some of the early issues are really fun).

- Silk (she's great when Robbie Thompson writes her, not when Slott did so. Shame about the art change in the second volume, her first artist was perfect).

- All New Wolverine (could be better, but is an enjoyable read).

- Ms. Marvel (the writer, G. Willow Wilson, can craft a very likeable protagonist & fun, silly stories that pack some good thoughts).

- Deadpool under Gerry Duggan has some great arcs, but I preferred the earlier volumes when he was co-writing with Poseh.

- Spider-Man Renew Your Vows. It's fun, I like how Conway & Stegman work some of the family dynamic, but I wish it was taking place in the main universe and had developed around a longer arc.

Other things I would recommend (new & semi-old, past five years or a bit more):

- Superior Foes of Spider-man

- Remender's and Cullen Bunn's Venom.

- Simon Spurrier's Legion (an overlooked jewel, IMO).

- Runaways, but only that written by the original author.

- A older story I remember liking: the origin story of Scorpion (Carmilla Black) in Amazing Fantasy.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.