[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/0 6/24/no-marvel-are-not-c

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 8

File: images.jpg (11KB, 324x156px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 324x156px
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/24/no-marvel-are-not-changing-the-comic-book-industry-but-dc-comics-might-be/
more “adult” comics, it’s a massive change in the way the company is approaching publishing comics as a whole over the next year or so.

, Scott Snyder-
that Means no more comics for young DC comic fans
>>
I don't think that was the implication at all. Though to be honest I wouldn't mind that. Their all ages books are super low quality, the only good one on a long time was Gotham Academy. Just concede that part of the market to Boom and move onto what they're actually good at.
>>
Actually Scooby-Doo Team-Up is a lot of fun. This month, Scooby meets Plastic Man.
>>
>>93424669
So it's straight white people who have money to buy comics and they want characters they can identify with? Who knew?
>>
>>93424669
>more “adult” comics

Will Joker be Damaged? Will there be peepee jars?
>>
>>93424669
There's a young readers imprint in the works.
>>
>>93424886

Do you even read comic books?
>>
>>93424669
New formats is fun, I loved Wednesday Comics and floppies are incredibly restrictive, but how the hell could DC get any more 'adult' than thy already are? You already can't show a kid damn near any DC title and LCS are a huge pain for children, the market already caters to adults near exclusively and has for almost four decades.
>>
>>93424669
kids hate synders books...no one cares.
>>
>>93425052
Mature readers labels like they have for the Young Animal titles and upcoming Mr. Miracle.
>>
>>93424721
>Their all ages books are super low quality
Nigger, read Sholly Fisch.
>>
File: 07-15-2013-063758pm.jpg (2MB, 1986x3071px) Image search: [Google]
07-15-2013-063758pm.jpg
2MB, 1986x3071px
>Bobbie Chase is an accomplished comic industry veteran. Over the past several years, Bobbie and her team built DC’s acclaimed Talent Development program from the ground up. Her editorial oversight will include titles such as Wildstorm, Milestone, Hanna-Barbera, kids, Digital First titles and custom comics, in addition to the brand new Young Readers’ imprint scheduled to launch in 2018.
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/05/05/dc-entertainment-expands-editorial-leadership-team

1. No they're not going "adults only" (for white males)

They're going to be smarter and more strategic on targeting younger audiences in formats that actually reach kids -- and with content that has a better chance at clicking with YA than just "superman for pre-schoolers."
>newly-promoted Executive Editor Mark Doyle will oversee Vertigo, DC Young Animal and select new projects. Newly-promoted Mark Doyle began his career at DC on the Vertigo editorial team, overseeing hit titles including AMERICAN VAMPIRE, 100 BULLETS, DMZ and SCALPED, among others. Most recently, he was Group Editor for the bestselling Batman family of comic titles.
2. Even if they were going "adults only" it doesn't mean "Avatar trash"
Sandman, Swamp Thing, Shade, etc -- they have a long list of respected, actually-progressive forays into mature audience publishing
https://vertigology.net/2015/04/29/complete-list-of-dc-comics-mature-readers-comics/
>>
>>93425062
>kids hate synders books
Oh it shows.
>>
>>93424669
>Zap! KAPOW! COMICS AREN'T JUST FOR KIDS ANYMORE
1986 called, they'd like their headline back
>>
>>93425052
Adult doesn't just mean edgy comics with teen rating, they might go the way of Young Animals and Dark Knight: A True Story.
>>
>>93425122
>(for white males)
DC 2018 white males rebirth.
>>
>>93425122
Snyder and company need to be kicked off the DC Books and soon. They're wrecking the entire line.
>>
>>93425052
Adult mature content is not edgy faggotry. a well written mature story can have little to no blood or erotism
>>
>>93424669
>>93424879
DC have known that about their own customers for at least six years, but:

just because it was true in 2011 when they had market research done doesn't make it true today, and

just because it was true for DC at any point doesn't mean it was true for other publishers at any point, and

in 2011, they were extremely concerned to find their major consumer base, on average, had a high monthly pull (implying fewer consumers overall, meaning the loss of one is more important), a high average age (something like 45 then - so 51 now if unchanged), and were predominantly white, suburban parents

then they made New 52 based on selling to that, somehow, which just goes to show you can lead a horse to water, but Dan DiDio couldn't suck his own dick with a portal gun and a quart of everclear inside him

anyway the long and the short of it is that if that base is still the majority of their consumers, DC is dead in 10 years - because enough of them will have died off or begun serious, financially crippling age-related diseases (there being so many svelte comic book fans of that vintage) that DC won't be selling even half of what it's selling now

if DC's changing up to be pro-boomer at this stage, it's an admission that they see no long-term future in the publishing game

by 2025 they'll be a vidya and cartoon company that also licenses IP for movies under the same brand
>>
>>93424669
they are done destroying marvel and now they want to go after dc
>>
>>93424669
There's something seriously wrong with the industry when a 7-year old can't pick up a mainstream issue of Batman.e've gone overkill in both directions. No wonder comic readership is shrinking.
>>
>>93425354
>There's something seriously wrong with the industry when a 7-year old can't pick up a mainstream issue of Batman
The $2.99 price tag and having to go in a comic store is likely to be a bigger deterrent to 7 year old's than an age sticker.
>>
Is the headline question really up for debate? DC Comics have completely switched from children to adults as the audience.
>>
>>93425354
Kids don't fucking read or want to read comics. Comics as a whole should target adult audience and by adult I don't mean manchildren who only want to read capeshit.
>>
>>93425389
Are you saying 2.99 is too much?
>>
>>93425430
I see kids in the comic store for supersons.and Teen titans...
>>
>>93425389
>>93425430
This but also kids generally like violent stuff and not pink hug fests.
>>
>>93425456
To a 7 year old? Make it $5.98 with the main Batman being bi-weekly, for a hobby not many of your friends are going to be into anyway. Honestly yeah I'd say it's too much, comics are a better hobby to have when you have a supply of disposable income.
>>
>>93425514
>kids
American kids you mean.
>>
I don't care if it's light or dark, I just want social justice out of DC. Pleaaaaase?
>>
Children like ipads and minecraft
They don't really give a shit about comics
>>
>>93425570
No, kids in general.
>>
>>93425594
What DC comics would you describe as having social justice?
>>
>>93424669
this means more or less feminst content?
>>
>>93425608
This desu
The only people who physically read comics are older teenagers/young adults who missed out on comics when they were children, and older adults who want that sweet nostalgia.

Kids these days can only enjoy capeshit if it's in vidya or film form.
>>
>>93425633
Green Arrow, Detective Comics, anything with Wonder Woman, Batgirl
>>
>>93425354
that is one of issues.
last monday I was talking with some people at college of what they thought about comic books. most of them said that there's no interesting world building in capeshit and that is majority of the market.
like how supervillains and aliens cam build ships to cross the universe or stupid resistent constructions. but the government who have access to that technology after the bout is finish don't bother to reverse engineer it and use it for its military and country. or how heroes don't bother to share their knowledge.
most of the praised comic books are the ones who have some impact on the society of said book and/or deal with mind of the main character as one the focus points. not a random asspull resolution on the flip of a page
>>
>>93425660
>Green Arrow
I mean Oli without his soapbox is pretty shit.
>>
>>93425633
Batgirl comics. I've also seen really cringey "mansplaining" name drops in Wonder Woman stuff and there were the "meninist" terrorists, not sure if that's 52 or Rebirth though.
>>
To be honest I find the batman comics boring...
Special the bat and cat shit love shit..
Adults love the love shit..

I find the superman books more interesting..>>93425608
>Children like ipads and minecraft
>They don't really give a shit about comics
I just like damian wayne comics..
>>
>>93425667
>like how supervillains and aliens cam build ships to cross the universe or stupid resistent constructions. but the government who have access to that technology after the bout is finish don't bother to reverse engineer it and use it for its military and country. or how heroes don't bother to share their knowledge.
Sounds like they would like Planetary.
>>
>>93424886
>>93425594
>>93425648
Fuck off, idiots. Go back to your containment boards.
>>
>>93424669
DC makes plenty of comics aimed at children, it's just that most of their main line is mostly reserved for young teens at this point.

and anyway kids will read anything that interests them. i've seen ten year olds reading attack on titan and suicide squad and both of those comics are heavy on violence and adult themes. people need to stop treating kids like delicate gentle flowers.
>>
>>93425676
So some panels you saw on /co/.
>>
>>93425699
>containment boards

Normal people dont have this kind of things, you know, they have "the real world" Tumblrfag, go back to your safe space before you start to cry
>>
>>93425758
>is offended at the idea of certain ideologies being in "his" comics
>uses the safe space insult
OH THE IRONY
>>
>>93425676
So you don't actually read comics? Fuck off retard.
>>
>>93425699
If you think a post is a detriment to the quality of the thread, ignore it. Confronting shitposters only creates more shitposting.
>>
>>93424669
>, Scott Snyder-
Joker will rape batman.
>>
I'm not sure what's so different about making OGNs with a different size.
>>
>>93425295

This. It's kind of sad, but this is what they deserve, not being able to even see outside their little bubble. After the way superhero movies have blown up, you'd think that maybe there'd be attempts to market to a larger audience, but somehow they're fighting over scraps of the middle aged male LCS demographic instead of trying to get a fraction of the people who watched Avengers or The Dark Knight to buy a comic book.
>>
>>93425660
>Green Arrow
Ollie has been a bleeding heart liberal since the 70's. Denny O'Neil carved him out that way. Without it he becomes another vigilante. try giving hard Traveling Heroes a read, it's pretty good.

>Detective Comics,
Batman and Batwoman training some superheroes?

>anything with Wonder Woman,
I don't think you've been reading Wonder Woman recently. Rucka has been more concerned with reconciling her various origin stories.

>Batgirl
You're not wrong. But the other "flavor" DC was trying with Batgirl didn't click with readers.
>>
>>93424669
>more “adult” comics
A codename for "we want the roasties audience now"

Wonderwhore and Whor will fight against a patriarchal terrorist organisation made by the fascist Captain America
>>
>>93425866
In case you hadn't realized, he doesn't read comics.
>>
>>93425855
>>93425295
>mouse shills are this idiotic and desperate
>>
>>93425698
>Planetary
I recommended it for them. FBP too.
>>93425855
that would require going out of their way and normals would call them on the bullshits of comic book market practice. also most normal people will stop buying it the moment the super hero movie fever ends
>>
What DC need to worry a little about is bringing in younger, newer readers. Us old farts are aging out or worse and am worried that comics, being the fringe market that they already are, will die out as well without an influx of new readers.
>>
>>93425907
That. What?
>>
>>93425907
>Whor
>Captain America
>DC
Please stop pretending you read comics, it's really embarrassing.
>>
>>93425929
>FBP
Which comic is that?
>>
>>93425938
this
Dc Superhero Girls is doing great so I don't get why they don't do a line of kiddy stuff instead of trying to do Vertigo 2.0 or whatever
>>
>>93424669
>“adult” comics
i hate that term
>>
>>93425952
I watch comics in the cinema, is what people do nowadays
>>
File: 1497912399363.jpg (15KB, 480x505px) Image search: [Google]
1497912399363.jpg
15KB, 480x505px
>>93425699
>A BLOO BLOO
>>
>>93425966
According to the article they're doing both.
>>
>>93425971
It shows, it really does.

>>93426011
What does Marvel have anything to do with this, you brainded moron? If anything I come off as a DC fanboy. Use that peanut-sized organ inside your skull and think for once, please.
>>
>>93425959
Federal Bureau of Physics.
It about a agency that have to deal and correct physics phenomenon before shit hits the fan and the laws of physics go nuts.
>>
I am the only one who thinks the solution would be to bring back golden/silver age story telling? As in, most arcs take 2 issues to resolve at most, no "cinematic" panels, no full page spreads, no more fucking events and crossovers. So many 6 issue arcs these days could be condensed in half as many issues. By the time an arc finishes six months later I can't remember anything about the first issue.
>>
>>93426012
Good
hopefully they actually push the kiddy comics instead of just letting it exist like they do most of the others like TTG and Batman 66
>>
i hope they dont make batman emo.
>>
>>93426067
I would say it'd work, for some comics, but not across the board.
>>
>>93425672
It's still pretty poorly done in the current series.
>>
>>93425122
>Mark Doyle will oversee Vertigo
then there is hope
Vertigo is not dead. Yet.
>>
>>93426067
We do have more arcs in Rebirth that are as long as they need to be. Marvel and New 52 especially do clean six-issue stories for trades, while with Rebirth I notice we get a lot more one or two issue stories.
>>
>>93426067
The market needs the TPB audience to work right now.

The single issue stories worked when comics were available on newspaper stands, modern readers want a story with some page length to it like manga.
>>
>>93425866
A writer being political is not bad if it's Denny O'Neal but Percy is not him

>'tec
Batman is incompetent and the women in it are far better at everything
Sounds like you don't read comics, otherwise you'd know the difference between an idea and execution.
>>
>>93425672
I fucking love the douche. I'm a libtard and i know he steps over the line almost all the time. But i fucking love to laugh at him for it. My fav DC character.
>>
>>93424669
Image is not only changing, they are revolutionizing the industry.

Fuck off Marvelfags and DCucks.
>>
File: Green_Lantern_Civil_Rights_01.jpg (104KB, 806x768px) Image search: [Google]
Green_Lantern_Civil_Rights_01.jpg
104KB, 806x768px
>>93426415
O'Neil was pretty cringey desu. Black guys like McDuffie thought this was embarrassing.
>>
>>93424886
Grimdark not grimderp.
>>
I've been saying this for a while. DC is targeting markets with different lines. Marvel is sticking with a shared universe that i love but is handling it wrong. Dc started rebirth as a superhero line aimed at superhero fans. Then it introduced young animals for the fans of weird stuff. Hanna barbarra for commentary. Wildstorm for....wildstorm fans, dunno never read. Dark Days is for artfags. They ARE diverse but they aren't all a shared universe.

Marvel wants to be diverse but are handling it wrong. The way they are handling it wellbis having gwenpool just do her own thing and have ultimates do cosmic stuff and not care about secret empire....did we seriously need a bunch of CWII issues? Unfortunately Marvel is rrying to mix the kid and women books into main books. So the main books are no longer targeted. They are one size fits all but fits none well booka
>>
>>93426550
Fuck off. That was great fuel to add to another Hal Ollie punching fest
>>
>>93426550
It was relevant at the time. Probably still is.
>>
>>93426672
>>93426689
A black guy angrily asking a white guy why he never gave him any gibs isn't quite the progressive message Denny thought it was.
>>
>>93425594
>>93425648
If anything DC comic has a more feminist message and does more with social justice issues than Marvel has so far.
>>
>>93426188

I buy a lot of Rebirth titles and I can't say I've noticed that. What are those books with 2 issue arcs you're talking about?

>>93426250

Why couldn't you put two 3 issue arcs in a TPB instead of one 5 or 6 issue arc? Why couldn't they sell one shots specifically created for newspaper stands and grocery stores? I really feel like you could "remaster" 60s and 70s comics with modern art or recoloring and maybe replace obsolete words or insults and it would work
>>
>>93426730
It's a good scene that would work today too. Here's a supposed superhero of earth that spends all his time in space fucking underage bitches and then he comes down acting all kingly without knowing all the facts. Old man had the right to ask, "what have you done for me, Mr. superhero?". At the time it added layers. In a time where superheroes all lacked personality and they were all just nice guys with specific quirks, it made Half and Ollie stand out as 3D.
>>
>>93426730
You apparently didn't get the book. It's all blunt shit. Or do you think Ollie punching Speedy for doing heroin is right wing agenda?

There is such a thing as storytelling context. How do i get to that plot point i need?
>>
>>93426738
Batman.
>>
>>93426815
Hal's stopped numerous Earth- or Coast-City-threatening villains, a guy getting ornery because he hasn't done anything to help a specific group of people makes him look like an ass.
>>
>>93426858

I dropped the book in the middle of the Am I Suicide arc and up until that point there hadn't been any two issue arcs

>>93426815

Ah yes, the good old disgruntled civilian lashing out on superheros who save their lives and the world all the time. GL is a space cop, caring for homeless black people isn't his job. Leave that pseudo realistic shit to Marvel
>>
>>93426550
Mcduffie was always an overrated pretentious faggot anyways.
Priest and Cowan I value the opinions of though
>>
>>93426689
>>93426550
it is completely retarded in and out of context and makes a mockery of racial issues.
>>
>>93427060
Literally how? A black guy calling out GL for giving more of a shit about other planets than the issues on earth makes a mockery of racial issues? Please read comics.
>>
>>93427060
No.
>>
File: 1497880788956.gif (347KB, 252x244px) Image search: [Google]
1497880788956.gif
347KB, 252x244px
Dope as fuck. Thanks Scott.
>>
>>93426982
No you dumbass, Hal was defending the status quo, saving a jew and fighting away the people that was abused by said jew landowner. The point wasn't telling him to do something about the nigs, was about him serving the status quo and not caring about injustices. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>93426250
Manga are published weekly/monthly like comics are, the thing you're calling Manga are actually collected issues called tankobans, the trade equivalent.
>>
>>93426634
Wildstorm is a pretty wild ride right now, I recommend.
>>
>>93424721
Supersons is great though
>>
File: coolAssistance.png (2MB, 780x1387px) Image search: [Google]
coolAssistance.png
2MB, 780x1387px
Are any of the companies doing any promotion like these anymore? When I was little I got my first two comic subscriptions through this promotion which lead to a full subscription to Iron Man. Heroes Reborn unfortunately started after two issues so I didn't stick with it. But, still, it got me into the ecosystem for a couple years. Have they tried anything similar recently? A couple issue subscription with purchase of an MCU film or some kind of BOOK IT! program where they send teachers comics or subscription coupons to hand out to readers? Or, heck, give comic book stores at least partial refunds if they give their unsold stock to schools for the program or something. There's plenty of ways to put comics into the hands of kids so you can reach into their pockets a few years down the road.
>>
>>93425456
The reason you have a lot of 50 something fans is that they got into comics when they could feasibly make enough money doing stuff like paper routes to buy a few comics.
>>
>>93425157
Yes it does
>>
>>93429437
Only if you are a faggot.
>>
>>93424669

it's something artist focused. a couple of writers have been dropping hints on twitter
>>
>Damifag misreads an article and finds a way to make it about how Scott Snyder sucks rather than just rationally discussing it
Why isn't this faggot banned again?
>>
>>93426179
Who cares about Vertigo when we have based Gerard Way overseeing Young Animal?
>>
>>93424721
>their all ages comics are super low quality
Are you serious?
>>
>>93425907
Lol what, the diverse comics are usually targeted at kids so the kikes at Marvel can start the cultural Marxism early. That's why Moongirl and shit that doesn't sell in comic shops keeps going so scholastic can sell them to kids at school.
They know most adults that buy comics are straight white males and won't care about this shit.
>>
>>93424669
Is it too much to hope that the return of the prestige-format approach can also bring back some of the more non-traditional superhero art DC used to do more of?

DC used to be the company that would experiment more with cartoony art or art that didn't fit the usual superhero style, from the likes of Timm, Cooke, Sale - none of whom could do a monthly superhero book but were fine on special projects.

I tend to like that art approach better than the teeth-clenched style of their monthly books, but I haven't seen a lot of it since Cooke died.
>>
File: da bu.jpg (226KB, 608x920px) Image search: [Google]
da bu.jpg
226KB, 608x920px
>>93431907
Like so?
>>
>>93431949
Nah i dont think thats what he meant at all
>>
>>93425295
im willing to bet money this argument has been explored at least once every decade, and yet they still are here, publishing comics.
>>
>>93432128
>bring back some of the more non-traditional superhero art DC used to do more of?
>>
>>93432392
He said prestige format, like DKR. Supergirl being super and Deadman are prestige format from recent times.
>>
>>93426550
At least the motivation of the writer here are good.
He legitimately try to show a problem here. Hal isn't actively racist, he just don't care about the problem. I agree the scene isn't great but it start the story and what come next is better.

You can compare that to the current year SJW writer today who "write" with hate in their heart.
>>
>>93432356

Digital is the future, there will always be a niche market for physical copies, but the reality is it's unrealistic to get anyone to want to read 900+ issues of Superman and Action Comics. There was always going to be a big crunch in terms of what readers could be expected to follow and rally around. They could give a lot of it away for free and the sheer volume would stop people from being able to read it all.

Sequential art, and where superheroes can be taken is eventually going to buckle under its own weight. And it'll be for the best.
Can you imagine if Superman was just a quarterly title or an annual OGN? There would only be enough Superman for everyone to follow it easily. Right now we're given the illusion of variety and abundance but it's mostly white noise.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.