[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>It's a "characters play D&D" episode >They

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 18

File: dexter's dungeon.jpg (34KB, 476x268px) Image search: [Google]
dexter's dungeon.jpg
34KB, 476x268px
>It's a "characters play D&D" episode
>They spend 90% of the episode bitching about the fundamental mechanics of table-top role-playing
>"UUUGH MAN WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO ROLL A DICE, THAT'S TOTALLY UNFAIR, GAMES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE MAGICAL AND *FUN*!"
>whichever character is the DM is portrayed as a sadistic Rules Nazi
>the moral of the episode is ALWAYS "you should just make up whatever silly bullshit you want, because that's the TRUE spirit of a game, not following lame rules!"

Why is this episode seen in so many cartoons across so many generations? Dexter's Lab, Regular Show, Teen Titans Go... I'll admit, I've never played a tabletop RPG in my life, and yes the density of rules and math 'n shit is intimidating, but I mean, that's the whole point, isn't it? If you just want to "use your imagination", you don't NEED a fucking RPG, you can just be a manchild playing pretend I guess, but why do so many animators seem salty against D&D? Bad experiences trying the game in middle school? Any /tg/ bros care to speculate?
>>
D&D and rpgs like it are much less about the rules and much more about the people you play with.

If an animation has shitty tropes about D&D its probably because the people that exposed them to it were shitty people.
>>
Honestly, 90% of it should just be the GM bullshiting because the party mauled the BBEG halfway into the story and has no idea what to do
>>
>>93405559
This episode is what got me into dnd. Dee Dee is the best DM
>>
>>93405559
It's because D&D is shit tabletop and the moral of each episode should instead be that they decide to play something actually fun.
>>
>>93405559
It's all about watering down nerd culture to make it more palpable form stupid normie fags. Pic related.
>>
>>93405815
only faggots play tabletop

real men snort cocaine and fuck hookers
>>
>>93405559
Egomaniacs don't like objective rules. It's why Freeform RP has rules like
>only the owner of a character can decide if an attack hits

>>93405815
>D&D is shit
t. kiddie who never played anything but WOTC D&D
>>
>>93405559
>density of rules and math 'n shit is intimidating,
The hardest part of tabletop games like D&D and Pathfinder is initial character creation (mechanically speaking), and even then most core rulebooks give you simple step-by-step instructions (and even if that's too much for you, online tools exist that do the math for you). Once you have your character set up, any math you have to do is pretty straightforward, and any deviations to your characters stats (from leveling up, taking feats, etc.) is something any competent player should be doing already.

As far as how cartoons portray tabletop games, I'm not overly annoyed by it, because they are exaggerations of real life annoyances. There are asshat DMs who fudge their own rolls because they're faggots like Dexter, there are systems like FATAL that are fucking terrible and don't deserve to be played like the game in Regular Show. Honestly, what gets me most is when they half-ass the fucking basics of playing a tabletop game. Yes, you roll dice to determine whether or not you succeed at something, but there is a lot fucking more to playing a campaign than just "lol roll a d20 for four hours".
>>
>>93405559
AND THIS IS WHY /tg/ will always maintain its quality.

Idiots are too idiotic to learn math and literature in order to create a quality game.
Luckily for us they also never try to pretend they know jackshit about following the rules.
/tg/ almost died before the create-your-own-story/quests got sent to their own board.

God I love /tg/. The last bastion of hope for humanity and the only good place on the internet, especially for an internet sewer known as 4chan.
>>
>>93406174
>any deviations to your characters stats (from leveling up, taking feats, etc.) is something any competent player should be doing already.
I mean any competent player should be taking notes and altering their stats. Player sheets have feats/weapon stat sections for a reason.
>>
>the only way to have fun is mindless hacknslash where the GM lets you win

The fun of tabletop comes from developing a story collaboratively. It's about making moments you'll remember forever. You can't get that from scripted games.
>>
>>93405849
Luckily this thing is impossible to happen to /tg/. Not any retard can just pick up and play.

Can we get a /tg/ version of this?
>>
My friends and I used to play D&D back in the day. Nobody ever complained about whatever happened during a session, and we always ended up getting completely plastered after a couple of hours. Then we started playing MMO's.
>>
>It's a "characters play D&D" episode/comic
>The PCs look and behave exactly like the players themselves

Part of the fun is imagining a character who is different to yourself, although I do appreciate that this is neccessary shorthand to identify who is playing which character.

Have there been any examples (in cartoons or comics) where the RPG characters are very different to the Players?
>>
>>93406174
>D&D
Stop implying that WOTC D&D is anything like TSR D&D, casual.
>>
The DM is always a sadistic rules nazi though.

Pretty much every group I've ever had is held together solely on the fact that all of them want to play D&D. Best case scenario, you tolerate your gaming friends. Wost case scenario, you wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. If you don't have a similar experience, I envy you. Yet, somehow the love of the game keeps you with these assholes you hate.
>>
But i like those episodes
>>
>>93406742
It's all the same trash.
>>
because "the characters play a game and everyone has a good time with it" is a whole lot of nothing
they aren't trying to advertise your bullshit nerd hobbies
>>
>>93406202
>/tg/ almost died before the create-your-own-story/quests got sent to their own board.

That was the best part of /tg/
>>
File: Shredder towel.jpg (39KB, 640x475px) Image search: [Google]
Shredder towel.jpg
39KB, 640x475px
>>93406590
>Team Leader character rolls a bookish healer.
>The Girl character rolls an inhuman hulking berserker.
>Tech Guy character rolls a charismatic paladin who leads the charge into battle.
>Goody-two-shoes character rolls a typical chaotic neutral thief.
>Big Guy rolls a wizard.

Quick, someone make this episode before I explode with want and desire.
>>
>>93406139
This makes me want to murder something.
>>
>>93407140
Cnt'd

>Squidward type character who thinks he's better than everyone and is routinely the butt of jokes rolls a character almost identical to himself except all min-maxed and munchkiny. He spends the episode telling the other members of the team about how you're REALLY supposed to play the game and how everyone else is doing it wrong. He is the only one who manages to not enjoy himself as the DM gives them a series of puzzle challenges and rewards them for success with happy endings to their arcs instead of a shit load of make-believe gold.
>>
File: IMG_2160.jpg (77KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2160.jpg
77KB, 800x800px
>>93406202
>He says, while ignoring the constantly made "martials vs. Casters" shitposts, the "Playing anything but a good Human fighter is sparkledog" shitposts, the "Playing a Good Human Fighter is sparkledog" shitposts, the "haha, I made a thread about how much i want to hate fuck elves, aren't i original" posts, and "That Guy" threads where at least half the stories are people complaining about inconsequential bullshit, people not realizing that they are being the "That Guy", and people making things up for attention.
/tg/ may be better, but it still has it's shit.
>>
>>93405629
this
I want a d&d episode where the dm's carefully laid plans are ruined literally 2 minutes into the episode and the rest of it plays out like that ed edd n eddy episode where they all tell their own version of a story
>>
>>93405815
Go back to /pfg/
>>
File: Free form RPGs.jpg (148KB, 800x563px) Image search: [Google]
Free form RPGs.jpg
148KB, 800x563px
>>93405559
That's why I did free form collaborative RP on GameFAQs in the early 2000s. That and I never knew anyone who was interested in tabletop or stumbled onto any communities online. My only exposure to D&D was an arcade game.

And teej, before you say anything, yes my freeform experience was exactly as shit as you'd assume it was. Maybe worse at times.

Had a guy write that his character used a magical obsidian katana to carve his initials in my chest without a hint of irony. And for my part, I told him he was attacking an illusion because why the fuck not?
>>
>>93406303
Isnt it already?
>>
>>93405559
Do we have WH40K references in cartoons, /co/?
Asking for a friend.
>>
>>93405908
While watching cartoons and reading storytimes here on /co/... r-right?
>>
>>93407015
I can't believe people are still so salty about /qst/'s banishment.
>less than 6% of threads per day! REEE
>>
>>93407586
Are you friends with the Emperor or with Khorne?
>>
>It's a D&D episode
>Characters dont have cheeto fingers that get orange dust on everything
>>
File: troy_huzzah_community.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
troy_huzzah_community.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>93407000
You COULD do an episode about characters overcoming adversity in the game caused by a fun-ruiner while still staying within the rules of the game, through teamwork, friendship and resourcefulness, but that would be HAAAARD.

I don't even play tabletop RPGs, but I don't like kids learning the lesson that if you don't like the rules of a game, just complain until the rulebook gets thrown out.
>>
>>93406139
>No really you guys, THAC0 was the best!
>>
>>93407889
Y'know I've never actually gamed with anyone who likes Cheetos.

The Mountain Dew half of the stereotype is pretty legit though.
>>
>>93408036
For sure. My first group had a guy that would legit drink multiple two-liter bottles of Mountain Dew every session. Like what the actual fuck, man.
>>
>>93407232

I'm rolling a pathfinder chaotic neutral human barbarian that's illiterate, afraid of swimming, and desires in life to eat the flesh of his stronger fallen foes to gain their power.

"So he's a cannibal? Why isn't he evil?"

It's only cannibalism if same race dude.
>>
>>93406139
I used to spend a ton of time in roleplay chatrooms in the late 90's/early 2000's and fought with these kind of rules.

So, if you threw a dagger at someone's chest you can't say it connects. But if you were a faster typer you can type another action in before the other person can type out a dodge response. If you do it quick enough it's assumed the first attack connects, unless the guy said he had a forcefield or something like that. It was dumb but I had a lot of fun.
>>
>>93405559
D&D is for fucking nerds
>>
>>93406303
Just make a note that the girl is the GM's girlfriend/wife. The dudebros are Pathfinder players.
>>
>>93406202
/tg/ has been rotting since the edition wars
>>
>>93409248
Was that after the Nazi Mod?
>>
>>93407884
Does the four-armed Emperor count?
>>
File: Breehnho.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Breehnho.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>93405559
Clarence did it best
>>
>>93409298
It counts as heresy, bugfucker
>>
File: LaughingOrcs.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
LaughingOrcs.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
>>93407248
>implying pathfinder isn't just more dnd for faggots who couldn't handle edition changes
>>
>>93407213
>Why's that? I'm not quite familiar with RP so I'm not quite sure what the problem is
>>
>>93406202
>>93406303
I find myself wondering if you fucking retards have ever been to /tg/. The only reason that /tg/ is seen as "quality" is because every other board is worse, but that doesn't mean it isn't also a hollow shell of what it used to be.
>>
>>93409649
>>93407213
Look kid, Im a seasoned player, some might even say that Im one of the best, if not the best, gamer this board has to offer. Dont believe me? I have over 400 hundred board games at my house, over a 100 at my arms reach right now. Card games? I got a deck for every possible combination of cards of M:tg, I even go to tournments and shit. No biggie. D&D? I'm proud to say that as a player I'm always the party leader, maxed as I can be and I'm not afraid of taking that extra edge that puts me ahead of enemies and allies alike. Hell, I got to get paid for having sex with hot girls and killing dragons with my expert builds. I like to shit on the GM one-directional adventures, by solving it with brains and brawl instead of one or the other, wether the party likes it or not. When Im the GM, Im proud to say that NO PARTY ever finished one of my adventures. Think you're gonna face some lazy sleepy goblins? Think again, they are fully trained comandos, that will attack and take full cover before you can do shit. Dont hate the player, hate the game. WH40K? My Ultramarines will anihilate you (each one of them have at least 5 page background that I wrote to enhace the fluff), so don't even get me started, kiddo, shit would blow your weaklings mind on how real it gets.
So, you listen, kiddo, and you listen good, because this will be a freebie.
For aeons roleplaying has been the key element of proplayers like me to actually do something in these games and tip scales to my side, I will get a lot of crap from retards saying that I dont have to hit everything or make enemies fail every save to have fun, but boy, thats some fucking wishfullthinkiing losers love. So, the baddie hit me with his attack...? I'll hit him harder, I'll backflip and and choke him with his own belt while unloading the whole clip of my katana-colt gunblade (which I made myself with my crafting skill, daring to go beyond what the setting wanted to chain me with) down his fucking throat.
>>
>>93409649
That's not how a game works. That would be like the official rules of baseball saying only the person at bat can decide if they strike out or hit a homerun. Nobody throws a ball and nobody swings a bat, the player just gets to choose for themselves when they step up to the plate.
>>
>>93408232
Better question to ask is "Why is cannibalism considered evil?" We're just meat on legs, like a smarter pig.

Just don't eat the brain. Fuckin' prions, man.
>>
>>93409766
katana-colts are underpowered in d20
>>
>>93409775
Yep, pretty much only morons would chose to miss. Me? If any DM actually had the balls to allow me to do that, I would fuck them in the ass so hard. BBEG? I would instant-teleport behind him and slice him up good, hitting all his vitals, while draining all his knoledge in a safe way. Now, knowing everything he knew, I would feast on my fellow players, that obviously would make poor contructed sentences that I would happily exploit to my delight and their butthurt.

>>93409855
There is 99% you never even played d20, I bet you dont even know how to minmax a druid for christs sake. So shut your mouth with that stale old as balls meme, you casual pleb. People like you are why the hobbie is dying and is hard for real players like me to find a group. Fuck you and your D&D trash.
>>
>>93405849
>that pic
That's why you should get into inaccesible hobbies like printing and distributing harsh noise zines.
>>
>>93406202
>The last bastion of hope for humanity
I've been wondering lately how long it will be before so much "nerd" culture has been devoured and normalised by the machine that they have to come for tabletop. Surely it's far too dense and lacks enough mainstream appeal for them to ever try and rape it for shekels.
Surely.
They'll come for it eventually, anon: they can't create, and they have a powerful need to defile everything and anything in pursuit of a dollar
>>
>>93409775
Oh. I thought that was referring to non-game RPs
>>
>>93409342
This. Had the min-maxer, the RPer, the chaotic fucker, the noob.
>>
>>93405908
>roll a dice to put in it. Add accuracy points and it's a miss if below 69
>>
>>93409711
>make 4chan great again
>>
>>93407949
Community was a good show.
>>
>>93408234
Yea this stuff is kind of dumb, but as long as you're not playing with complete cave trolls it can be pretty fun. The times I did chat RP, it was never really about who won the fight, it was just about having a cool fight, and the couple of times it ended up not to what I'd planned it just meant a different story to work around.
>>
>>93406303
Have you played Magic? It's exactly like this. The lead developers are even trying to pander to normies.

>>93409711
/tg/ is a shit heap with an influx of politically correct newfriends
>>
>>93407586
There's this.
Yes, it's real.
>>
File: Fam_Circ.gif (39KB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
Fam_Circ.gif
39KB, 300x375px
>>93411084
hold on
>>
File: IMG_2051.jpg (149KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2051.jpg
149KB, 1000x1200px
>>93411026
>/tg/ is a shit heap with an influx of politically correct newfriends
>coming from the /co/mblr browsing using the term "newfriend"
Uh huh, sure,
>>
>>93411026
Eh. We got an influx because reddit admins were bitchy about leaks so they came here. It's still your average board with its hatred of niggers and jews.
>>
>>93411201
>It's still your average board with its hatred of elves and drow
fix'd
>>
File: tg.png (27KB, 274x100px) Image search: [Google]
tg.png
27KB, 274x100px
>>93411236
>>93411201
>>
File: tg and k go fishing.jpg (417KB, 1111x1600px) Image search: [Google]
tg and k go fishing.jpg
417KB, 1111x1600px
Please tell me /tg/ is still....you know.
>>
>>93411354
It's a blueboard now so not quite as much, but there's still a nice waifu a exotics lay thread from time to time.
>>
>>93411236
>It's still your average board with its hatred of drows and dwarves

Fix'd your fix.
>>
>>93405559
>ROLL A DICE
DO YOU EVEN ENGLISH FAGGOT
>>
>>93411499
/tg/ has a dwarf fetish anon. Those hairy midgets are super manly ingenious awesome do no wrong best race next to HFY bros for life XD
>>
>>93411577
But Dwarves are undoubtedly Jews, that's just a fact.
>>
>>93411602
Dwarves are scottish vikings
>>
>>93411660
Tolkien was pretty racist and made them greedy money hoarders and racial recluses. Like the stereotype for jews at the time.
>>93411602
is right
>>
>>93411758
Tolkien is not what dwarves have evolved into from years of D&D/Warcraft/bad video games
And Tolkien was the exact opposite of pretty racist. He wrote an angry letter to Hitler dismantling their the aryan fantasy and calling the jews a "noble people"
>>
>>93411758
>It's the "but Tolkien did it" fag
Most settings with Elves, Dwarves and Orcs bear only a cursory similarity to Tolkien. He may have started it, but it's moved past him now.
>>
>>93411864

Yeah he wasn't intentionally racist but he did make a series where all the super irredeemably evil people were coded as dark/black and all the pure good guys were white. Dude was from a racist time, what are ya gonna do
>>
>>93411111
hehe, nice
>>
>>93411111
I still can't believe that's real.
>>
>>93411899
They were coded as green, no one in his setting was irredeemable. And let's not get into the long list of elven fuck ups throwing a wrench in their pure good guys motif
>>
>>93411982
It's a good feel.
>>
>>93411899
Light and Dark have always been thematically used for good and evil, and he had to make the Orcs super irredeemable so as not to offend his Catholic sensibilities when the main characters slaughtered them mercilessly.

Stop thinking everything's about you Nignog.
>>
>>93411995
>no one in his setting was irredeemable.
Give me one good instance where an Orc showing a bit of goodness and humanity. Tolkien fucking invented the "Always evil Orcs" stereotype.
>>
>>93412007
Orc slaughter did in fact offend his catholic sensibilities because, by those sensibilities, no creations of god are irredeemable. He could never settle on a canon origin for them because of it and noted them as one of his regrets
>>
>>93411899
There are actually a lot of things in the text and in side-letters that indicate that "brown people being evil" thing is not entirely true. Notably, he describes the Harfoot hobbits (of which Sam is one) as having "nut-brown" skin.
>>
>>93405559
Well, rolls are a part of the game, but it is a role-playing game, so emphasis is on role-playing, not rolling dice.

Like, if you've played games with people who are extremely autistic about rules, it can be unfun. Yes, they are important, they give games structure, but playing with people who do not roleplay and just care about dice rolls is the most cancerous experience ever.
>>
>>93411995

>in the land of mordor, where the shadows lie

yes those famous green shadows.

also shit in goddamn encyclopedias and indexes doesn't count. i'm talking about a story.

>>93412007

I'm white but you realize it is kinda strange to be like "Hey you're always gonna be associated with evil. Deal with it" ? as the other anon said Tolkien realized it was a mistake and regretted it.
>>
File: IMG_2296.png (250KB, 1000x893px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2296.png
250KB, 1000x893px
>>93412148
>also shit in goddamn encyclopedias and indexes doesn't count. i'm talking about a story.
>Implying the Autistic World building doesn't count in a series litterally made to justify his autistic world building
>>
>>93412148
...You're not actually trying to say "where shadows lie" means literal black people are you?
>>
>>93412033
See>>93412065
>>
>>93412148
Tolkien realized it was a mistake Becuase it implied that a creature COULD be irredeemable, not because it had anything to do with black people or that they were irredeemable.

Black People getting insulted over evil things being dark is stupid. This is the kind of shit you should get used to when your color resembles the time of day when scary creatures with big claws have the best chance of killing you.
>>
>>93412148
>as the other anon said Tolkien realized it was a mistake and regretted it.
You completely misinterpreted what I said
>>
>>93407949
For what it's worth, the study group made a decent effort in trying to play the game right.
They obviously didn't meddled in the intricate battle mechanics, but the RPing was pretty well done.
When I played with my friends, we'll always try to find women to screw around and spend a lot of time discussing trivial shit.
The bit about Britta trying to help the goblins was interesting and could made a good story.
>>
>>93412684
Goblin Slayer memes
>>
>>93412774
Goblin slayer was a mistake
>>
File: 952.jpg (31KB, 628x314px) Image search: [Google]
952.jpg
31KB, 628x314px
>>93406202
>/tg/
>reading any actual literature beyond rulebooks or shitty bargain bin fantasy books

kek

Even /lit/'s fantasy book general is less cancerous and pleb-tier in taste than /tg/
>>
>>93411026
>abloobloobloo
>wh-why are there t-two black people among h-hundreds of cards in a set!!!!

/tg/ is still the most butthurt fedora board, I see.
>>
>>93412901
>says the board that screeches /co/mblr at the slightest provocation
Pot calls the kettle black
4chan turned to shit as a whole years ago
>>
>>93405559

>it's a D&D episode
>they actually use figurines on a grid map

My dad played AD&D when it first came out, and they never did this. I played 4th edition in a university club and we didn't do this.

Where does this meme come from?
>>
>>93412846
Aww, you're mad they can do math, so you shit on their tastes in literature.

Don't worry. They have calculators for children like you.
>>
>>93412974
Normies can't tell the difference RPGs and Wargames.
>>
>>93412974
Grid combat is more ____fun____
>>
>>93412974
Using grid movement and tokens are optional rules which some people like.
>>
>>93412974
Why not both?
Also, 4e without a grid sounds like... very exploitable, not that there is anything wrong with it.
>>93413086
I like it too, but things get weird when you need to go 3d.
>>
File: 1497722749377.jpg (154KB, 1232x654px) Image search: [Google]
1497722749377.jpg
154KB, 1232x654px
>>93411354
>tfw Limb Legion got animated by some cheap whore animator
feels better than nothing man
>>
>>93412901
It's literally /pol/ spammers that also rant about cultural marxism.
The election brought in a bunch of reddit shit from the_donald that have spread across the site ignorant and uncaring about staying on topic and not crossboard spamming, even /pol/ is complaining about nu-/pol/ taking over
>>
>>93409981
It's already happening with D&D 5e partly due to the success of Critical Roll and acquisitions Inc. inspiring other people to stream their campaigns.
>>
>>93413998
Definitely better than nothing. When the best you can hope for is animu girl with cat ears, that was a godsend. Hopefully it means other studios will make more like it.
>>
>>93413998
i wanna kiss that thing
>>
>>93405559
The Dexter Lab's episode captures perfectly the experience of playing AD&D modules in the 90's.

The fact you admit that you never played a RPG is good enough to prove that you really don't know shit about that episode anon. Why even make the thread?
>>
>>93413998
>>93414750
Octopi can detect taste through their tentacles.
>>
>>93407244
>carefully laid plans
>ruined literally 2 minutes in

pick one
>>
>>93405849
This is what's happened to comics. I feel like the comic book community is in the second to last panel right now. Pop culture has changed, degraded, and watered down these great characters so much that they don't even resemble themselves anymore. I feel like we're on the verge of alot of comic fans realizing that the medium itself has just become fodder for other forms of entertainment that will butcher and water down the intellectual content within just by the very nature of the shift in medium. Pop culture ruins everything.
>>
>>93405559
This was an awesome episode and I would beg Dee-Dee to let me roll dice in her game.
>>
>>93415126
Happens more likely than you think, and you have exposed yourself as not being of /tg/.
>>
>>93415002
surely kissing on one of their suction cups are like kissing on lips, right?
>>
>>93415220
More like a simple hug is super lewd, as she's tasting you all over.
>>
>>93415310
that sounds really cute as fuck
>>
>>93413998
They animated this doujin?! name!
>>
File: file.png (121KB, 428x286px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
121KB, 428x286px
>>93415364
Zton Jingai Animation: A Beautiful Greed Nulu Nulu
https://www.hentaihaven.org/zton-jingai-animation-a-beautiful-greed-nulu-nulu-episode-1
it's animated by Queen Bee so don't expect highly.
>>
>>93415364
Zton Jingai Animation: A Beautiful Greed Nulu Nulu

First two segments are with a centaur. Their not bad. But yeah, the octopus is where shit gets good.
>>
>>93412303
or they could just take pride in having earth mama's natural night camo

some folks just like to whine
>>
>>93415438
>>93415443
Thank you anons, you're the best
>>
>>93405559
>yes the density of rules and math 'n shit is intimidating, but I mean, that's the whole point, isn't it?
The math 'n shit should be a vehicle to give some functioning rules to your imagination, I only played tabletop twice but the manuals I read state its more important to follow your imagination than being faithful to both the rules and lore which are just there to help.

At least originally, over time the mechanics aspect ended up being an end as of itself which is why there's also still RPG video games being produced.
>>
>>93415713
This. The dice rolls and such are just to make it a game and help steer the narrative. If you have a good group, people work with the rolls. Sometimes it's fun to completely botch something your character is supposedly good at and try to improv a description of how/why you fucked up.
>>
>>93409248
So since 2nd edition came out?
>>
>>93413017
>bragging about the math you need in DnD
>Nothing above middle-school level arithmetic

I'm sure you're super smart
>>
>>93412974
It's a cartoon so you need some sort of visual cue for the viewer as to what's going on.
>>
>>93415197
But comic books are an incredibly niche market whose main demographic, superhero fanatics, has only been shrinking for decades.
>>
>>93407213
>this makes me want to murder something
Unless, of course, that thing decides that your attacks don't hit.
>>
>>93415438
>it's animated by Queen Bee
>Queen Bee
Why
Why must you fill me with despair anon
>>
Running my first tabletop campaign in a week with friends, their first time too. Its rules light yo. We want to have fun and not to be suckered into something not so fun.
>>
File: Nilobg-5e.jpg (197KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Nilobg-5e.jpg
197KB, 1200x1650px
>>93405559
I'm always annoyed portrayal of tabletop never seems to get it right, but there are kernels of truth here and there. I do wish at least one example would show a positive environment instead of the tropes and arguments they always devolve into. Roleplaying games are fucking fun, man.
>>
File: 1495870890793.png (1MB, 961x1360px) Image search: [Google]
1495870890793.png
1MB, 961x1360px
>>93418870
Make them fear the Deep Goose
>>
>>93405559
first of all go to /TG/ and ask why you need rules to play with your imagination

the first answer you will get is that you are a faggot, the second answer you will get is that DnD sucks, and the third answer you will get is that the purpose of games is to have fun, the rulebooks are there to give structure to your narrative, so you dont just point to the other player and say "you're dead, black leaf", but that if making origami out of the rulebooks makes it more fun go ahead

the endless rules are a guideline to have fun, so everyone is on the same page when it comes to deciding whether your action succeeded or not, but just like the codex astartes, it is helpful but not the end all be all of gaming, it works most of the time but every so often a situation comes up that is unclear in the book, and the DM has to use their better judgement

and yes, you dont NEED a handbook to play, but that is called cops and robbers
>>
>>93415197
I feel like a lot of interesting comics are being made, and that there are more options than ever before.

Pop-culture always comes in and shits on everything, music, games, comics, whatever people can find to be 'cool'. Fuck 'em, just be encouraging and show people the good stuff.
>>
>>93415126
You either don't play /tg/ games, or you have only experienced games where you were railroaded non-stop.

The best GMs need to be able to improvise on the fly, because even their best written plans will be tackled by players in ways that defy all rhyme or reason.
>>
>>93409968
what the fuck is that
>>
>>93405559
My favourite part is that they're always playing a game that only vaguely resembles D&D (which they are usually parodying) and instead feels like some sort of weird board game. At least half of every time I see one of these episodes in something, it's like a sports movie written by a guy who heard about a sport once.
>>
>>93406139

A rule literally designed to stop egomaniacs from power-tripping with inevitable "John shoots Greg in the head eighteen times and laughs" posts. And it's only partially effective at doing so.
>>
>>93405629
>BBEG
Ugh.
>>
>>93405559
80% of games are bad and will play out like one of those stereotypes because the people involved are terrible. Animators are just depicting reality
>>
>>93412846
>posts muslims
>/lit/
>good at anything.
Back to >>>/b/cancer you go.
>>
>>93405559
>whichever character is the DM is portrayed as a sadistic Rules Nazi

you don't play dnd too often right?
>>
>>93421423
3.pf causes brain damage
>>
>>93409711
>>93409775
There's nothing necessarily wrong with it. The goal is the same thing as with tabletop's, to create a fun narrative for everyone to deal with. The only problem is that it's ridiculously easy to abuse by edgelords and egomaniacs, so you see bad examples all over the internet. If you can get a group of friends who you know aren't shitters, freeform rp can be pretty fun.
>>
>>93405559
Dungeons and Discords was great
>>
>>93418689
again, it's better than nothing. at least the horse fisting and octopi-fucking is decent.
>>
Have you tried not playing D&D?
>>
>>93407644

No, real men are OTAKU ELITE and only consume moe media.
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.