[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comic Shop talks about Marvel's failed diversity and how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1845x1028px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1845x1028px
>So DC's putting it (Rebirth) out there, and saying "Hey if you don't support this then obviously shut your mouth" because we're giving you stuff with good writers, good artists.. not like Marvel who just puts some homeless guy in the subway system and says hey come here and draw this book for us. And hey if it's not supported then they need to say "Hey you guys didn't support it, so quit your bitching on the internet cause thats all your doing, you don't even support the comics you just want to hear yourselves talk. And then the rest of the companies can go "Hey this is what we need and this is what will move the comic's industry in the right direction."

Well /co/ he called you out, why are you shitposting when you don't even buy the good comics?

(Link to Marvel Diversity talk and Rebirth from an actual comic shop)
https://youtu.be/_PlBu9Rca48?t=7m10s
>>
>>93393549
>Well /co/ he called you out, why are you shitposting when you don't even buy the good comics?
But I already buy Captain Marvel?
>>
>>93393549
>why are you shitposting when you don't even buy the good comics?

But DC Rebirth has been eating up most of the top 10's for a while now.

Fucking The Flash beat out Secret War!
>>
>>93393549
>good writers

That just wrong when you have Palmiotti and Conner on Harley, or Williams on Squad
>>
>>93393549
>why are you shitposting when you don't even buy the good comics?
But I do buy RWV, which is literally Marvel's only good comic.
>>
>>93393549
I'm not clicking on that video you made, and I'm not concerned with what a fat retard thinks of people who won't buy an objectively shitty product. When Bendis, Costa, Slott, RIvera, etc make up the bulk of marvel products, why on fucking earth would I support that?

If I buy anything, I buy the trades of stuff like the new Nova and that Carnage mini, and spread the word on things that are promising.
>>
>>93393549
Kek who gives a shit what this fat fuck thinks
>>
>>93393549
>Well /co/ he called you out, why are you shitposting when you don't even buy the good comics?

"good" is entirely subjective. And I spend close to a hundred dollereedoos on comics every month (mostly none-big two books)
>>
>>93393549

If the comics were good, then I'd be supporting them. I'm not supporting them, ergo they must not be good.

Checkmate, Marvel.
>>
>>93393731
Good/bad are subjective, apparently Deathstroke and New Super-Man are "good", but I don't care about them, rendering them "bad" therefore I don't support them.
>>
>>93393638
I can tell that you didn't watch the video or even read the blurb since they are talking about how Marvel books are just garbage and there's no reason to even buy them while they stick to the same strategy and that DC is at least trying to give people what they want.
>>
>>93393549
The funniest part of this was that guy trying to say his book was an 8.
>>
I don't like most of DC's characters and the one's I did they ruined their books with reboots.
>>
File: 9ErfHy2.gif (3MB, 640x266px) Image search: [Google]
9ErfHy2.gif
3MB, 640x266px
>>93393549
> with good writers, good artists
>>
>>93393782
But that's not how that works at all.
Even if we go by the idea that quality is subjective, not knowing anything about it makes your opinion on the matter irrelevant.
>>
>>93394295
But I've read the first 5 issues of bother NSM and DS and just didn't care about them enough to add to my pull list, tradewait, or even keep following the story times.
>>
Better him than Moviebob, whose response is pretty much Principal Skinner's "Am I out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong". For the sake of his politics, he'll support Marvel's "diversity" push until they go out of business.
>>
>>93393549
>The cover art is better than whats inside the book

Powerpack flashback
>>
>>93393583
>The Flash beat out Secret War!
No it didn't?

>9 Secret War 4 $3.99 Marvel 93,585
>37 Flash 220 $2.25 DC 46,793
>>
>>93393549
lol marvel, what a dumpster fire
>>
>>93393625
>RYV
>good
Wow, this place really is /co/mblr.
>>
>>93393549
The video is 18 minutes of boring bitching about negan, FCBD, and more ettingville crap, but without the charm. The shit OP's talking about is about 8 mins in, if anyone actually cares.

>>93393798
The video is a giant fucking waste of time. It's not even worth extracting any interesting parts of the transcript to post here. Dude's not wrong, but water is wet, and current marvel bites. So what?
>>
>>93393549
By the time I figure out what's good, it's too fucking late.
>>
>>93394519
Epic bait
>>
>>93394184
Don't worry, they're going to change that with their all new "53" event that is going to fix everything.
Buckle up kids, because DC is about to take it to the edge!
>>
>>93394563
Buy the trade paperbacks after the fact. They're even cheaper than buying each issue individually.
>>
>>93394580
>Peter with decades of superheroing experience gets his ass kicked
>MJ with a month or two of superheroing experience one-shots Magneto and Emma Frost because she's a strong independent womyn
Epic shilling, /co/mblr.
>>
>>93393549
It's shop owners like this that turn away new customers. He's so fucking off putting.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-02-10-15-21.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-02-10-15-21.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>93394633
>independent
>is married, has a child and her husband's last name
Kek, I bet you're just a cykefag whose mad he didn't marry worst X-girl.

That being said the ending to School Days was very rushed, that arc should have last two more issues at least, but this really doesn't bother me at all seeing as how muties have been jobbing to spiders since the dawn of Marvel.

Sorry a single page triggered you so much, personally, now that Kelly is off SM/DP, RYV is my favorite title on my pull list.
>>
>>93394519
>hating family man Peter Parker
edgy
>>
>>93393549

i do but unless it's one or two issues i usually tradewait

i'm well aware that i shouldn't be surprised if books i like get cancelled as a result but the only comic store near me is in another city i don't have the money to have a pull list AND deal with shipping for the amount of books i'd be following
>>
>>93393614
very true anon.
>>
>>93394779
Its why I stopped going to the comic book stores many years ago and only buy trades online or at the real book store
>>
File: FB_IMG_1495687590830.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1495687590830.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
>tfw my lcs is also a cinema that I used to work in back in my highschool years
>tfw they offer me a discount for having a pull list of 5 or more titles
>tfw the owner is currently paying for all of my comics up until the end of summer on account of my house burning down
>tfw the staff doesn't let me pay for tickets to see movies and stay open late Wednesdays so I can pick up my comics after work

Man, why do most other lcs suck so much ass?
>>
>>93393549

I don't got no fuckin money. I like getting regular floppies over waiting for trades but you can't seriously expect people to spend four or five bucks a pop on this shit.
>>
>>93393549
But I already buy Gold Digger, Empowered, and Red Sonja.
>>
>>93395164
Same for me. The shop owner wasn't a dick to me, but to others he would sperg the fuck out and have an opinion about every damn book someone bought. Then when a female would come in it got really fucking uncomfortable. I feel bad for the other people who worked their since they seemed pretty fucking well adjusted.
>>
I was going to post a reply, but I think maybe it's time for a good ol fashioned LCS thread, I'll go start one
>>
>>93393782
That doesn't make them bad. that just means you're apathetic.
You can still consider things good even if you don't personally have any interest in them.
>>
>>93394779
Do you ever look at someone and just immediately know that they smell terrible?

Because that's the feeling I got just by looking at this guy.
>>
File: 1398928445431.jpg (38KB, 298x279px)
1398928445431.jpg
38KB, 298x279px
>>93393549
I'm watching this right now, but haven't gotten to this episode yet.

>mfw Glenn likes Greg Land art
>>
>>93393549
could those two be any more of a comic book nerd stereotype?
>>
>>93395647
The guy with the hat is the only reasonable person in that shop.
>>
>>93394491
>>93393583

Ahh, the "Multiple covers are not totaled together, except when they are" counter-move.
>>
>>93395252
my "LCS" trusts me enough to have a tab and they gave my brother a free pass to flip a table if he gets salty at FNM because the store owner thinks it would be funny
>>
>>93393549
>good writers
>s
Good one. Also DC's current best writer is putting out dog shit.
>>
>>93394779
>>93395164
>>93395383
>>93395598
t. Dumblrinas
>>
>>93393549
I don't buy the comics because they're overpriced. No one should pay more than $1 for a 20 page periodical.

I rarely even read the comics because their "diversity" means liberal elite bigotry, otherwise known as SJWism before that became a trigger word.
>>
>>93398701
>not trying to get /fit/ like your heroes
Outta here Hambeasts
>>
>>93393614

What's wrong with Palmiotti and Connors? I bought their Power Girl book last month and thought it was grand.
>>
File: UBOAT.png (268KB, 519x525px) Image search: [Google]
UBOAT.png
268KB, 519x525px
>Good writers
>>
>>93398701
t. Autistic greasy lardlord
>>
>>93393575
THEY FINALLY GAVE BILLY BATSON HIS OWN BOOK AGAIN?!?!?!???!!!!? ABOUT FUCKING TIME!!!!!!
>>
>>93393549
>good artists

I caught a storytime of Batman yesterday and the art was fucking traced 3D crap. The same shit Marvel was mocked for in that "black people club" issue. And it's fucking Batman

Not saying Marvel is doing good, btw. I just find most Big 2 comics to be either bland or bad, and Rebirth hasn't caught my attention
>>
File: evansposting2.gif (1MB, 500x392px) Image search: [Google]
evansposting2.gif
1MB, 500x392px
>>93394263
>>
>>93398968
>>93400015
Nice try, Marvelcuck.
>>
>>93398848
Without Justin Gray on the team their work suffers.
>>
>>93393549
I do buy comics. I just don't buy as much as I read cause I already spend about $40 a week.
>>
>>93400039
Joke's on you I hate comics in general
>>
>>93395669
Multiple covers are always totaled together on the same printing; second and subsequent printings are counted separately for any print publication. This is simply how it's done, and is done this way because it's easier for accounting and stock control purposes. It has nothing to do with company wars.
>>
>>93398710
>No one should pay more than $1 for a 20 page periodical.

The cost of printing (not including the production of the work to be printed) is variable; the more you print, generally the cheaper your costs work out. That's one reason the comic book market went direct - it's easier to upfront your costs when you know exactly what they'll be, whereas with sale-or-return, as DC recently rediscovered, you get a lot of wastage from unsold issues that you, ultimately, have to pay for, rather than the retailers.

If you were printing 1000 copies of something 20 pages long, you probably couldn't get a better deal than $1/copy, meaning you'd pay $1000 to have them printed. By definition, then, low-circulation periodicals are going to cost more than $1.

The more you demand of your printing - glossy paper (which requires different inks), full-color printing - the more it costs. You can offset some of that via advertising, but only if you circulate to a wide enough audience, and only if they actually buy stuff based on those ads (advertising success is hard to quantify, but there are techniques used by ad agencies to measure success - and it's those you have to score highly against).

Even with ads, you're still expected to make a profit, and naturally you want the money paid by the advertisers (in total) to more than cover the cost of additional pages to print their ads on. So if you have a thirty-page title with a cover, interior page with publication data (which might be the letters page or recap page or whatever), and 22 pages of story because you've already had the art done and it's 22 pages, you need six pages of ads that will more than pay for the extra 6 pages.

Then you need to pay the creatives, editors, janitors, your bills, and finally your shareholders. So even if you're printing 100,000 copies each time, your imaginary 80c printings aren't going to sell for a dollarydoo. They're probably costing $2 just to print at this point.

tl;dr you're a moron
>>
>>93402619
With thinking more with April's release. Since the regular and lenticular covers had different price points, Diamond had them as separate listings. So you get something like this:

>#1 Secret Empire #0 162,718
>#5 Flash Lent Version #21 107,037
>#11 Flash Reg Version #21 67,766

So that's where the "Flash beat Secret Empire!" camp comes from, a combined 175K. Granted, Batman #21 clowns them both with a combined 237K.

Also, this is all moot since these stats are just copies sold from Diamond to stores. Whether those copies sold to customers? That's ultimately the stores' problem now.
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (180KB, 288x235px) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.png
180KB, 288x235px
>>93393549
How about some diversity in their food and I am not talking about trying different Dips to your nachos, you fat fuck.
>>
>>93402408
classic /co/
>>
>>93398710
I won't pay for SJW matterial.
>>
>>93403920
It really seems like Diamond are a functional monopoly on comic sales, or at least are the only thing sales listings care about.

Shouldn't that be illegal or something? How did they manage to take over so completely?
>>
>>93402637
That was a very well written summary, Anon. Expanding on the topic, the first Anon's reason is shared by many readers ("I'm not paying 3-4 bucks a comic") which is where Online subscriptions come in for Digital comics.
The big thing comic companies face is piracy, no duh, but honest...? There's so MANY different incentives, perks, bonuses that a company could reward online subscribers with to reward their loyal support that I think it's an area that needs to be tapped harder.
>>
>>93404674
little black girls requiring to be told that they could never be like Tony Stark for motivation, gay relationships being shoved down our throats, Islam & Sharia Law being totally American and the right thing to do, topped off with spontaneous mutant dance parties are an EXCELLENT reason not to buy comics, yes.
>>
>>93404853
>Shouldn't that be illegal or something? How did they manage to take over so completely?
Actually, Diamond was taken to court over the fact that it's a monopoly. The official ruling was that the court agreed that it's a monopoly, but since it's only a monopoly on comic books and not any publications of importance or merit (books, magazines, newspapers, etc.) that it's OK.

Yes, courts literally said that Diamond may be a monopoly but who cares because "lol comics."
>>
>>93405171
The problem regarding digital is that Diamond doesn't allow them to sell them for cheaper than physical. Diamond doesn't want digital undercutting physical, so if you sell your comic day-and-date cheaper (sales after the fact are obviously fine, or cases where the physical version has something extra to justify it costing more) then Diamond won't let you sell it through them at all, and since Diamond has a monopoly on direct market comic distribution, getting pulled by Diamond would cut into profits way more than however much extra money you might get from selling the comic cheaper digitally (which you might not even end up making a higher profit from anyways because, again, you're selling it cheaper to begin with.)

Also, Comixology/Apple take a higher cut of the profits than LCSs do.
>>
>>93404039
>classic /co/
That's the opposite of classic /co/. That's modern /co/.
>>
>>93403920
>Also, this is all moot since these stats are just copies sold from Diamond to stores. Whether those copies sold to customers? That's ultimately the stores' problem now.

And that's why the Bleeding Cool Bestseller list and retailer tweets get posted, because they give at least a vague idea of what's selling in stores.
>>
>>93406985
No, they get posted because Rich is relentlessly shilling his garbage on /co/ and has been for the past 10 years.
>>
>>93393549
>>So DC's putting it (Rebirth) out there, and saying "Hey if you don't support this then obviously shut your mouth"

Isn't "support us or shut up" the SJW mantra? Why is it admirable coming from DC or its fanboys?

An ultimatum like that would just make me not want to be a customer of either of the big 2.
>>
>>93407012
t. upset Marvel shill
>>
>>93393549
I disagree with them on Luke Cage and Iron Fist.
I really like it when artists draw stuff in a less realistic cartoony art style.
>>
>>93407212
That's not actually DC's stance, it's just this fat fuck's "so witty" summary of what he thinks is going on.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.