[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good starting point if I want to get into Black

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: 51vC2tn4VdL.jpg (61KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
51vC2tn4VdL.jpg
61KB, 325x500px
Is this a good starting point if I want to get into Black Panther comics?
>>
no just read Priest's run
>>
>>93392633
No
>>
>>93392633
Is pretty boring, listen to this anon >>93392654 and read priest run instead.
>>
>>93392633
I'd say no, it sources heavily from previous runs and things that happened.

I found it easier on the eyes than the art of Priests early run though.
>>
It's one of my least favorite kinds of comics: the aggressively dull kind. Even absolutely shit comics like America or Squirrel Girl at least wrap back around into being unintentionally funny because they're so bad. This is just like a void of entertainment.
>>
panther's rage
>>
>Coates

You're better off killing yourself.
>>
>>93392633
No no, hell no. Don't believe the hype.
>>
>>93392654
It's not bad but like others have said, it's dull.

Start with Priest or if you want to get deep go with Panther's Rage.
>>
>>93392633
It's written by a genius grant winning, NYTimes best selling author and columnist at the Atlantic and it shows. It's good, but it's a poor introduction to T'Challa.

>>93392654 is right. Priest's run. Read The Client, Enemy of the State, Sturm und Drang, and Enemy of the State II.

Then go read See Wakanda and Die by Jason Aaron.

Then maybe that first arc from Hudlin's run.

Then read Hickman's Fantastic Four 607-608, New Avengers and Secret Wars

Only then should you read the Coates Black Panther.
>>
>>93392633
Start here, with Christopher Priest instead. Good for starting out.

Afterwards, you can read Coates if you want.
>>
>>93392829
>Then maybe that first arc from Hudlin's run.

Whoa why you gotta do him like that
>>
>>93392829
>read Hudlin
Oh shit nigga what are you doing
>>
Thanks fellas.

I see Amazon has all the Priest volume up.
>>
>>93392948
It's relevant to New Avengers and the Coates run. Otherwise, suddenly T'Challa has a sister out of nowhere. I do have a heart, I spared him Doomwar and AVX.
>>
>>93393042
One of the benefits of the BP movie. They use to struggle to keep them in print if they were even in print at all, glad to see that's not a problem now.
>>
>>93392633
Read this book only if you have insomnia, its gonna cure you quick. As others said read Priest's run.
>>
File: black panther.jpg (1MB, 1887x1375px) Image search: [Google]
black panther.jpg
1MB, 1887x1375px
READ THE FUCKING DON MCGREGOR RUN

The whole thing is in an Epic Collection now. The fact that this wasn't the first response shows you the state of this shit hole of a board.
>>
>>93392633

Get the first epic collection too. It's great
>>
>>93393042
Enjoy it brother.
>>
>>93392633
Read batman first and you will know the basic about that rip off
>>
>>93393143
Panther's Rage is overrated. Good, but I wouldn't recommend it as a intro to the character. More as supplementary reading once you're onboard and wondering why Killmonger has such a hateboner for T'Challa or why Monica is so dramatic all the time.

Panther's Prey is kinda trash, desu.
>>
>>93393228
Not that anon but shit taste senpai

Panther's Rage is bronze age gold
>>
>>93393228

You are terrible
>>
>>93392829
>It's written by a genius grant winning, NYTimes best selling author and columnist at the Atlantic and it shows. It's good, but it's a poor introduction to T'Challa.
That's as good a selling point as written by the world's best TV mechanic.
>>
>>93392948
Thing is that the way Hudlin re-imagined Wakanda and the Dora Milaje along with the introduction of Shuri are relevant to what comes later. Yeah, it's not particularly good, but it's "important" otherwise it's pretty jarring going from Priest straight to Hickman.
>>
>>93394318
h'HA nailedem. my friend picked it up the other day and now that i know it's some black lives matter racewar baiter im scoffin pretty hard rite about now not gna lie
>>
>>93392829
>It's written by a genius grant winning, NYTimes best selling author and columnist at the Atlantic and it shows.

how does those qualifications translate to having the ability to write a boring comic ?
>>
>>93394852
>A person who has never written fiction in his life is writing a story
Das racist man.
>>
Any who thinks the current Panther book isnt good is a fucking racist
>>
>>93395502
He's not a fiction writer.

It's clear he's a legitimate fan of the character and he has some good ideas, but he doesn't know how to turn that into an enjoyable story.
>>
>>93392829
>Mentioning Hackman's shit and not Don McGregor

Read Priest then Jungle Action OP
>>
File: IMG_1551.jpg (218KB, 1200x1822px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1551.jpg
218KB, 1200x1822px
Reminder that the only person who should be writing a Black Panther solo is Hickman. Life is NOT FAIR.
>>
>>93397944
>>93393643
>>93393522
>>93393143

McGregor built basically everything we associate with Wakanda and the Black Panther's world, but all of that has been re-purposed and repackaged in most of the later runs and there's no big, iconic, constantly revisited moment in any of his BP books that keeps it as necessary reading for a new fan getting into the character like Miller's DD or Claremont's X-Men. It's like the Roger Stern Avengers. It should be required reading for any self-professed fan, but it's not relevant to the current state of the characters and there are better introductions to the team. I really don't get why this idea is so controversial with you guys.
>>
>>93398100
He's too white for current marvel
>>
>>93398100
Fuck Hackman.
>>
Just read Hickman's new avengers. Current BP is really, really dry.
>>
File: 17837737._SX540_.jpg (49KB, 540x423px) Image search: [Google]
17837737._SX540_.jpg
49KB, 540x423px
>>93398100
if jason aaron could reproduce the quality of his secret invasion tie in I'd let him do it too
>>
File: jungle action 021.png (2MB, 681x1030px) Image search: [Google]
jungle action 021.png
2MB, 681x1030px
>>93399570
>no big, iconic, constantly revisited moment in any of his BP books that keeps it as necessary reading for a new fan getting into the character

Except this doesn't matter to anyone who's been reading comics longer than three months. Who gives a shit how important these comics are to the complete garbage that Marvel produces today? Read good comics, not "important comics."

Also you're wrong anyway considering pic related is one of the most iconic moments in the character's history. And that's true no matter if whatever webcomic-tier hack is currently raping T'Challa in an Avengers monthly references it or not.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.