[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys look down on those who only/mostly buy trades

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20140319_151353.jpg (885KB, 1997x1093px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140319_151353.jpg
885KB, 1997x1093px
Do you guys look down on those who only/mostly buy trades such as myself?
>>
>>93371972
half this board doesn't buy floppies
>>
>>93372357
This, and Half this board doesn't read comics
>>
>>93371972
I look down on floppy buyers. Absolute worse way of reading comics.
>>
>>93371972
I only buy trades but I mainly just buy what I can't pirate.
>>
>>93371972
Most of this board doesn't read comics, most of the others don't pay for them and most of the rest don't buy floppies. I commend you for actually buying it in print
>>
>>93372438
>comics and cartoons
welp it makes sense
>>
>>93372438
I keep seeing this "/co/ doesn't read comics" meme and I don't get it. Are you saying they're pretending to read them?
>>
>>93371972
id get that supergirl comic though, its hella dope. Thats the 1st issue introducing black supergirl
>>
>>93371972
I just want you to know, floppy sales often dictate whether a book lives or dies.

a big name character or a character the company is trying to push will get spared but the others live and die on them
>>
>>93372507

THIS

I started pirating books while Forever Evil was going on, only stopped right before Rebirth because I smashed my phone. Now, if I'm not reading shit on /co/ every Wednesday, then im buying old school classic floppies in bulk or buying trades.

Trades are the best.

The smart thing for the Big 2 to do would be, instead of individual floppies, publish their weeklies in collections. Like, each week, release 3-5 books that contain 5 or so of this weeks issues. For example, one volume has Superman, Batman, Wondie, GL and Flash, while the second has JL, TT, Detective, Action and whatever the fuck.

EVEN IF THEY WERE WEEKLY RAFFLE PACKS, IT WOULD BE MORE ENJOYABLE AND COST EFFECTIVE
>>
Who the fuck even has a floppy drive anymore?
>>
>>93371972
>Do you guys look down on those who only/mostly buy trades such as myself?

No, it's pretty cool you're investing money on physical comics
>>
>>93372438

Only half? You're being generous.
>>
>>93372643
I know. Next time an ongoing comes out that interests me and isn't a big name character I'll go out the the LCS and support it.
>>
>>93372677
I think at this point floppies are being printed out of tradition as trades make them more money, but then again floppies are a good indication of whether or not a character is popular enough to make money in the first place
>>
>>93372357
>almost nobody on this board buys comics
Ftfy.
>>
>>93372438
Comics = plebeian
Cartoons = patrician
It's just how it is.
>>
>>93372438
I meant that half the board that does buy comics only buys TPBs.

60% of this board is cartoons, 10% is off-topic, 10% is adaptations, 10% is webcomics, and only 10% is comic BOOKS.

Out of the few people here who read comics, half pirate, and half of the rest only buy TPBs.
>>
marvel and dc shoud make a shounen jump type of magazine, put all of their weekly comics in a single magazine print it in cheap paper and then sell the trades
>>
>>93372938
this
>>
>>93372989

Print is dying. The real next step is digital comics that are half the price of print.
>>
>>93373063
i dont like to pay for digital comics i just pirate everything and then i buy the trades
>>
>>93372558
it's because of all the crossboarders asking casual as fuck questions and making casual as fuck assumptions
>>
>>93373094
And all the threads about the marvel and DC Cinematic universes, I honestly think that half the people arguing in those threads don't read comics
>>
i cant even blame people for buying trades. it's the superior form of reading a comic book anyways.
there's absolutely no reason to buy floppies when there's a storytime the comics as soon as they release.
also
>no one on this board reads comics
then what the hell is everyone doing in all the storytime threads?
>>
>>93374082
pretending they are reading them acording to some anons
>>
As a long time reader/buyer monthly singles are the most pure engagement with serialized books. Especially corporate books. It feels weird to elevate corporate entertainment to some shit to put on your shelf as opposed to a longbox in the closet. Before decompression it made more sense.
>>
>>93371972
I don't give a shit if someone buys single issues, trades or digital, so long as they're buying shit.
>>
>>93374152
>singles are the most pure engagement with serialized books
I'd agree
>It feels weird to elevate corporate entertainment to some shit to put on your shelf
Where else would you put a book?
>>
>>93371972
Some writers basically push you to wait for trades with "decompression" or whatever they call it.
That is, if you feel like reading their crap to begin with.
>>
So I buy floppies and trades, but I live in a smallish apartment and I'm running out of room. Between the apartment and my storage unit I'm up to six shortboxes and most of a bookshelf. I'm trying to switch some of my pulls to digital, but I'd like to get rid of some of the floppies I own. Is there any worthwhile way to do this short of just disposing of them?
>>
>>93375086
Give them to some kid young person you know as a present.
>>
>>93371972
I use to buy floppies a lot when I was a kid but as I started reading older stuff and actually purchasing using my own income instead of my parents I switched to trades and hardcovers just due to them being cheaper. I still buy floppies for books I really enjoy if they aren't selling well otherwise I stick to trades.
>>
>>93375086
I've got over 100 shortboxes in my room...

and most of your comics aren't worth what you paid for them. Your store might take them in for trade credit or something.
>>
>>93375086
No one is buying floppies post-1980
>>
>>93371972
> There's an LCS that sells TPBS for $5 instead of half off list
I think I hate you and your store. The only thing my LCS sells for that cheap is 4th party trades that they can't get rid of.
>>
>>93375086
this>>93375139
give them to someone you know that might enjoy them.
>>
>>93371972
Yes
>>
>>93371972
I buy trades. I can't stand floppies
>>
>>93375190
right? holy shit id go broke. my LCS doesnt put ANYTHING on sale for any reason. everything is sticker price and they get away with it by being the only LCS within 350 miles of any other.
>>
>>93372507
Came here to post this. There's nothing wrong with trade waiters, and they should be credited for supporting the industry since most of the people here that actually read comics just pirate them.

>>93372759
Even then, it rarely works these days. There was a huge (by /co/ standards) push to support Yost's New Warriors because it was coming off of Scarlet Spider, but it still tanked in sales.

A lot of it is too little, too late, given the pre-order model for Diamond numbers. Books can get cancelled so quickly these days unless they're being kept artificially afloat on life support that by the time people want to start supporting them, it's already too late. Fuck, Nova was cancelled at issue five and they only gave it two extra issues out of mercy.
>>
>>93373757
>half the people arguing in those threads don't read comics
That's an incredibly optimistic estimate.

>>93374501
Decompression and the concept of "writing for trade" annoys the shit out of me. I get why they do it, but I still hate it.
>>
>>93371972
No I envy you. I still buy almost exclusively floppies out of habit and OCD.
>>
>>93371972
Floppies are the worst. I'll never understand why they don't just go digital only for issues or just drop them altogether and focus on more well written trades
>>
>>93375160
Do you have a problem with paper moths at all?
And yeah, I have no illusions about comics retaining their value.
>>
File: my collection.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
my collection.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>93372438
My collection
>>
>>93371972
That looks a lot like the bargain bins at Royal Collectibles. I need to go back a check them again, thanks for the reminder OP.

Also, I don't read floppies at all anymore. Wanna get rid of most of mine, actually.
>>
>>93372558
Regardless of how many comics they read, people on /co/ have a lot of discussion about comics they've never read.
>>
I first read download the comic from soulseek (which has a surprisingly large comics selection for being a music downloading app) and only buy the comic if I really enjoy it. In this day and age buying a product is me showing how much I already enjoy it.
>>
>>93374082
>then what the hell is everyone doing in all the story time threads?
Whining, fishing for (you)s, pretending they know what's going on
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.