[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >summer before I start Animation program at Texas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: LPzfAPx.png (516KB, 608x862px) Image search: [Google]
LPzfAPx.png
516KB, 608x862px
>be me
>summer before I start Animation program at Texas A&M
>want to have my own show, or get hired by big studio
>read every book about animation
>have three shitty Maya short films under my belt from high-school
>little experience life-drawing

I flip-flop between feeling skilled/prepared and hopelessly behind.

I know we're all edgy pessimists here, but any of y'all have been in a similar position before? Any advice on what skills to focus on this summer or in school?
>>
File: 1440730999926.png (87KB, 242x206px) Image search: [Google]
1440730999926.png
87KB, 242x206px
I feel you, buddy
>worked on a lot of failed projects to git gud at drawing
>got gud, more or less, but repertoire is all learning process shit that isn't good for a portfolio
>racing against the clock to make an animated short and a demo reel, a webcomic with a decent following, and a portfolio to apply to a small local animation studio
>riding on three horses at once and disoriented about what the fuck to do, and no connections to boot
>>
>couldn't get into UT
>killed myself
>>
>>93250279
>>93250394
>be me
>not American
>highly unlikely to ever achieve anything of real significance because of this fact
>>
>>93250440
That's funny. I'm Venezuelan and I'm doing all that shit. I moved to america like a year and a half ago, but was learning how to draw in my home country.

Oddly enough its just out of luck that there's a studio nearby, otherwise you'd honestly be better off in canada. Also there's a couple of places where you can work from abroad, the studio I'm applying to does that, but I think I've got a better chance since I live locally.
>>
I'm not sure what your level of skill is (and I don't blame you for not sharing it on 4chan) but take it from someone who has a bachelor degree in animation: focus on doing simple WELL! It'll be super tempting to make the most advanced and clever animation for an assignment, to show people how creative and skilled you are, but unless you truly have a knack for this I strongly urge that you focus on the core task at hand and do it simple and well.

It's better having a simple box lift with no personality but accurate fundamentals than an imaginative mesh of movements that we understand but lacks understanding.

I always tried to impress with my cleverness, and while one would get a laugh from the class and even the teacher, the assignment would never stand up to full scrutiny, while more boring ones that lacked a punch were much better animated. Once you actually learn to do it correct you can start to push it further.
>>
>>93250506
>I moved to america like a year and a half ago
How!?
>Oddly enough its just out of luck that there's a studio nearby
You mean in Venezuela, or in the US?
>otherwise you'd honestly be better off in Canada
I AM in Canada. And can say that you're wrong.
>>
I feel you, OP.
Graduated with a BFA in animation, left with decent enough 2-D animation skills and some working knowledge of After effects but sub-par drawing skills (it wasn't actually required to be able to draw well) and a microscopic amount of Maya knowledge which was quickly forgotten.

95% of your skill comes from practicing, and practice is done on your own time. The degree does not make the artist.

In your situation though... if you want to have your own show, you need practice with writing as well as drawing, so I would suggest to write some short stories over the summer.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.