[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does continuity and lore make a cartoon inherently better? Should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: Samurai Jack.png (733KB, 3448x1036px) Image search: [Google]
Samurai Jack.png
733KB, 3448x1036px
Does continuity and lore make a cartoon inherently better?

Should all future cartoons follow this route?
>>
if done right, yes.

if you're steven universe, no.
>>
File: The Best Cartoons Ever Made.png (3MB, 4328x2126px) Image search: [Google]
The Best Cartoons Ever Made.png
3MB, 4328x2126px
>>93249268
You tell me.
>>
File: 1486069083220.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1486069083220.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
networks want episodic stories so they dont have to care about th schelude or the order of the episodes.

conitunuity heavy cartoons are like big movies split in small separate parts, it keeps wanting you more.

now everyone can play cartoons on their phones, networks dont really matter.
>>
>>93249307
SU's problem is that while it does a FAR better job than AT at introducing lore and ongoing plots and character arcs, it still falls into the same trap of putting it on the sidelines so they can focus on unimportant shit for the next several episodes. While they do a better job at it than AT, it comes across as a bigger problem here because usually SU's more one off episodes are usually mediocre compared to the plot/character arc ones.
>>
>>93249268
Don't think "lore" is necessary or an automatic guarantee of quality or anything but I think it's cool more shows are trying to do that. It probably does mean more of an adult fanbase but that's not saying much I guess.

Even if you're not going full lore though continuity seems pretty decent to have. Unless the literal point they're going for is that things reset each episode or whatever. If some change is made or some past element is relevant to a later episode, even just referencing that sort of feels like the crew gives enough of a fuck to be thinking about those things too.

But then I guess that doesn't make things "better" automatically either; just sort of more deliberate. I would like to see more cartoons doing that but they don't all have to.
>>
>>93249395
>now everyone can play cartoons on their phones, networks dont really matter.
Except nobody else MAKES cartoons. Idiot.
>>
>>93249268
Why is that literal shitshow sandwiched between two of the greatest cartoons of all time?
>>
>>93249268
HELL no.
>>
>>93249268
There is nothing that can make a cartoon "inherently" better, because anything can be done badly and make a cartoon worse. When it comes to continuity and lore though, I would say that it gives a cartoon more potential, for better or for worse.
>>
>>93249268
>>93250352
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreTools
>>
>>93249268
>Does continuity and lore make a cartoon inherently better?
Yes it does. If it's done well.

But, like every cartoon, it can be done poorly. Like the sequels to all three shows in that image

>Should all future cartoons follow this route?
Depends on the premise.
>>
>>93249599
Netflix anon. Netflix and the like are the future.

Heck, do you know why Star vs. got the fabled Disney 4th season or why Milo Murphy's Law has a second season even though absolutely nobody cared about it? Because of the Disney XD app. They got extended because the views on the app were high as fuck.
>>
>>93250505
Which POPULAR cartoons is Netflix making again? And how many in general (popular or not)? Think before you write, anon.
>>
>>93250505
How in the world could an app make enough money to compete with cable subscriptions? Web ad revenue is a joke...
>>
>>93250860
>>93249599
do you have this much trouble with numbers too or are you this inept on reading alone?

actually, let's skip that. are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>93250978
My point is that Netflix is irrelevant for animation.

(And TV in general, too. But then, this isn't /tv/.)
>>
>>93250860
>Netflix and the like
>"what is CN's mobile app"
>>
>>93249268
the problem with story arc shows, and this is a me problem, is that I don't care enough to catch up with the show
>>
>>93250505
phineas and ferb actually has a disturbing older following of normies and so does weird al, it's just they're not really shows that appeal to cartoon nerds
it's not that crazy milo landed a 2nd season
>>
>>93251024
>CN's mobile app
>CN's
Come on anon, don't go full retard on me. (Like that other anon did about the Disney XD one.)
>>
>>93250860
>>93251022
F is for Family and Bojack Horseman off the top of my head. Pretty popular as far as I know
>>
>>93249268
Not necessarily. It depends on what type of show you're trying to make. If the primary focus of your show is comedy, then you just need to be funny, regardless of lore. I've actually noticed an annoying trend of people expecting every cartoon to have some ongoing serialization, and thus, some shows end up forcing it regardless of whether it's suited to the tone.
>>
>>93251169
wow what a fucking transparent dodge. CN's app rackets a shitton of money in comparison to their ratings on the actual channel.

are you gonna deny the accessibility of phones and tablets to modern audiences or are you gonna continue damage controlling like a helpless dipshit?
>>
>>93251258
If CN just had a mobile app, none of its shows would have been made and the company would no longer exist by now.
Same goes for Disney Channel/XD and Nick.

That's my point.
>>
>>93250860
Is Voltron Popular?
>>
>>93251529
no
only lokfags like it
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.