[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question, lads, what the fuck is "post-crisis"? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1497218397381.jpg (37KB, 630x399px) Image search: [Google]
1497218397381.jpg
37KB, 630x399px
Question, lads, what the fuck is "post-crisis"? I've been watching some capmovie related videos and they sometimes mention their origin and bring up "post-crisis." Like, i know DC is a cluster fuck of universes and stuff, but did everything change or what? It's making think that picking up a comic book might be just a waste of time because the writers just fucking change. It's like comics are episodic, but at the same time referring to each other, it's sorta annoying.
>>
>>93234786
The Crisis on Infinite Earths was an "event" at DC in the mid-80s where they rebooted their continuity.

"Post-Crisis" refers to the state of something after the Crisis on Infinite Earths reboot.
>>
>>93234786
>picking up a comic book might be just a waste of time because the writers just fucking change

Don't bother following comics for "continuity", because well... there isn't any pretty much. Or at least what there is keeps getting changed and then they have "alternate continuities" on top of that.

Just find the stories that are cool and ignore everything that came before or after.
>>
>>93234828
This is misleading phrasing for a casual. History was adjusted but most books continued onward. It wasn't a full reboot like how Smallville and the Supergirl TV show are unrelated.
>>
>>93234786
In 1985, DC rebooted their comics with an event called Crisis on Infinite Earths. "Pre-Crisis" refers to comics from before CoIE. Post-Crisis refers to comics after CoIE up to 2011, where their comics were rebooted again with an event called Flashpoint that gave way to the current canon called the New 52.

So it's:
>pre-1985: Pre-Crisis
>1985 - 2011: Post-Crisis
>2011 - now: New 52
>>
>>93234865
sounds like i should just watch the animated movies/cartoons if that's the case since they draw from the better comics, at least they should.
>>
>>93234889
Well, it mostly comes up in Superman discussions, and in that case the characters was pretty much rebooted entirely. Although eventually they stepped back and started bringing back older stories, like the original JLA origin and adventuring with the Legion in his teenage years.
>>
>>93234913
Most don't, actually, and the ones that do are better in the comics form. All-Star Superman is a fantastic Superman comic. The All-star Superman movie is trash. The Killing Joke is better as a comic than as a movie. TDKR is better as a comic. Morrison's Batman run is better as a comic.

Really, the only instance where the movie is preferable to the comic is Under the Red Hood because the comic it's based on is, admittedly, pretty shitty.
>>
>>93234910
what's the point of new continuation if the comics are always changing? Or was it "lets cash in on comic movies."?
>>
>>93235367
They do it to create a "jumping on point" for casuals who think that comics are "too confusing!" So basically, they do it explicitly for people like you.
>>
>>93235367
To market it as a big jumping on point for new readers
>>
>>93234786
>It's making think that picking up a comic book might be just a waste of time because the writers just fucking change. It's like comics are episodic, but at the same time referring to each other, it's sorta annoying.
Try comics other than DC/Marvel.
>>
>>93235367
so that you don't feel like you're starting the story from the middle
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.