[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Kenan the only diversity character done right? Why are Miles,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 17

File: 1483152572107.png (3MB, 1440x2223px) Image search: [Google]
1483152572107.png
3MB, 1440x2223px
Is Kenan the only diversity character done right? Why are Miles, Kamala, Black Wally, Cho, new Quasar so terrible?
>>
>>93219759
He's a huge jackass though. Just look at how he treated that kid for (not) killing his (fascistic cunt of a) mom, how he tried to murder Batman China, and how he kept cheating during his race with Flash China.
>>
>>93219759
>Cho
>Terrible
Get out. Cho has existed way before any of those fuckers. Though I do agree Totally Awesome Hulk isn't as good as Incredible Hercules
>>
>>93219759
>Is Kenan the only diversity character done right?
Jaime Reyes. Simon Baz. Jessica Cruz. Ryan Choi.
>>
>>93219800
So basically only DC can do this stuff right.
>>
>>93219781
right, he's a character with flaws, not a mouthpiece and/or a cardboard cutout with a new coat of paint
>>
>>93219759
Kamala wasn't bad at start. She was done right but then got ruined.
>>
>>93219805
Not even trying to start a company thing, but all the good diversity characters I know are from DC like Renee Montoya.
>>
File: hereitgoes.gif (975KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
hereitgoes.gif
975KB, 500x300px
>>
>>93219840
Black Panther and Luke Cage dude.
>>
File: OShipOfState-MattTrakker.jpg (338KB, 810x1876px) Image search: [Google]
OShipOfState-MattTrakker.jpg
338KB, 810x1876px
I sort of like Black Trakker
>>
What are some times where it was like "Oh, and under the helmet it's a black dude"?

Off the top of my head I can only think of Black Racer, which might not quite count, and Secret Wars Iron Man being Rhodie, but that's a temporary thing.
>>
>>93219810
He's just Korra except Chinese and with terrible parents.
>>
>>93219852
Black Panther and Luke Cage are original characters, not race-bent/genderbent legacies
>>
>>93219853
I don't care what nationality Trakker is as long as we get more of based Mayhem
>>
>>93219878

Black Manta, surprisingly enough. Spent years without showing off his skin color.
>>
>>93219878
Black Manta
that astronaut from that one EC Comics
>>
>>93219891
not as whiny though

and not pining over a girl
>>
File: GL Cruz.png (323KB, 1650x2400px) Image search: [Google]
GL Cruz.png
323KB, 1650x2400px
>>93219759
Jessica is pretty great and Baz is finally a good character. GL tends to do well with diversity... yet the assholes obsessed with diversity never seem to care.
>>
>>93219915
Has there been an issue of New Super-Man where Kenan hasn't bitched in some way?
>>
>>93219930
most of them
>>
>>93219921
She's not breaking any glass ceilings like Red Locust because there have been oodles of female Green Lanterns before. Now if she had been the first Trans Lantern, that would have been something for the libtards to drool over.
>>
>>93219921
doesn't count if it's DC because they don't go on The View
>>
>>93219921
I know this is fanart because Jessica is never this thick. She's normally a skinny thing, which fits her character, honestly.
>>
>>93219938
Yeah, but libtards don't read comics. As far as they know, she IS the first female Lantern.
>>
Kenan has had multiple arcs exploring his character before he got thrown into crossover hell. Same with Kamala. They had writers who gave enough of a shit to give them worlds, motivations, supporting casts, and natural conflicts that arise when those things come into contact with one another.

Miles doesn't have that. Black Wally doesn't have that. Even though Cho was a character that existed for years prior to Hulking out, as soon as he became a poster boy didn't get that.

Robbie did. Kamala did. Jaime Reyes did. And Kenan did.

The characters need to stand on their own feet as good characters before they get thrown out as their designated race representative. Writers are pushing the fuck out of clunker characters before anybody has any direction to push them in, and they come off as bland.
>>
>>93219949
I doubt they even know about Green Lantern. Because if they did, they'd assume she was the first female GL and make more noise about her.
>>
>>93219799
New Cho is terrible. He is like 19 but on a team of highschoolers. Its like he is the Cyborg of the Teen Titans.
>>
>>93219938
That pisses me off so fucking much. She's a character who has a mental disability and is trying her hardest to overcome it. She's a fucking Latina, but doesn't have to remind the reader every single page. Seeing her grow is actually satisfying.

>>93219940
That reminds me of that Twitter post where Nick Spencer was called out for saying DC doesn't have diversity.
>>
>>93219938
A "trans person" could never be a green lantern because they have no courage or willpower. They are people constantly at war with own selves and constantly in doubt about who they really are. Psyches like that do no make proper breeding grounds for GLs.
>>
>>93219987
>They are people constantly at war with own selves and constantly in doubt

You mean like Jessica Cruz...

Fucks sake anon, read comics.
>>
File: Friendly-Neighorhood Punisher.png (907KB, 600x863px) Image search: [Google]
Friendly-Neighorhood Punisher.png
907KB, 600x863px
>>93219961
>Robbie did.

I really loved how anti-stereotype Robbie was and how that even managed to persist in his AoS incarnation. He doesn't listen to the music, he barely speaks any Spanish, he doesn't complain about the cops or the whites, he's not part of a gang, and generally treats everyone around him equally. He's just a guy trying to do right by his little brother and maybe get enough money to move them somewhere nicer while being plagued by a staggering amount of anger because he's surrounded by insufferable cholos every single goddamn day. If his Ghost Rider powers didn't come with Eli, it's likely he'd have been much more vicious as he wouldn't have had a bad role model like his uncle to warn him of what he'd become.
>>
>>93219995
Anon, I think you mean John is a MARINE!
>>
>>93219994
I do read comics. And I know for a fact that despite Jessica's conflicts, she does actually have the will to bear the green ring. She fought against Volthoom on her own. That alone makes her worthy.
>>
File: 1470454108539.jpg (344KB, 1280x711px) Image search: [Google]
1470454108539.jpg
344KB, 1280x711px
>>93219921
Jessica and Simon honestly doesn't count. They aren't the first diversity character to take over/share the mantle. Guy is a ginger, Kyle is a Mexican and John is a cardboard.
>>
>>93219759
i liked the new ghost rider
>>
>>93220014
John used to be interesting

then Johns happened
>>
>>93220004
>we will probably never get a Ghost Riders ongoing where Johnny takes Robbie under his wing as a mentor and they BTFO demons together
It hurts.
>>
>>93220022
>Used to be a former militant community leader and activist who became a confident and friendly architect who eventually became a guardian. After being crippled and losing his darkstar status he was still the reliable John we knew and loved. He was a good friend

>Johns happens.
>I WAS A MARINE AND I BLEW UP A PLANET!!!!!!! Also I was an architect or something SEMPER FI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>93219817
she's always been Reddit
>>
>>93220022
I always wonder if that was just revenge for the Stewart x Hawkgirl romance on JLU. Especially since, for some reason, the JL crew had Johns write the episode where it turns out Hawkman is cucked for eternity.
>>
>>93220076
this doesn't make any sense. she was just a fairly straightforward spidey ripoff until corporate noticed she was popular.

how is "teenager juggling family and school and superheroics" reddit
>>
>>93219898
But OP said diversity character
>>
>>93220144
Reddit character = "character I don't like"
>>
>>93220135
Aren't Johns' two favorite Lanterns Hal and Guy? And they don't exist at all in the DCAU. Johns basically got cucked by Timm from an editorial perspective.
>>
>>93220173
Hal and Alan. I remember him saying that back on his forum Comic Bloc back in the day when he first announced Green Lantern: Rebirth.
>>
>>93219781

He's a jackass that is constantly humbled and grows as a character. Even when he manages to be a respectable hero he'll still have that bit of arrogance and won't be super smart or anything.

I liked the last page of the recent issue when he was called an idiot by his mother.
>>
>>93219810
>he's a character with flaws
So, Superman is bad?
>>
>>93219817
>then got ruined.
No she did. Waid just sucks at writing her in Champions. She's cool in her ongoing
>>
>>93219976
It's almost as if you've only read pages from Champions in which Waid writes everyone like shit.
I'm sick of these fucking piece of shit threads.
>>
>>93219759
Simon Baz since Rebirth
Jessica Cruz
Black Wally since Rebirth
Cyborg
Jaime Reyes
Ryan Choi
Hell even Kate Kane since Rebirth
Basically DC. Especially since Rebirth.

Their characters are people, they're not defined by diversity like they are at Marvel.
>>
>>93220040
Thats not true theres that marvel "not event" event happening were legacy characters are teaming up with their predecessors.
>>
>>93219759
Nah, the DC You Doctor Fate's pretty good. And I say that as someone who has a strong preference for Kent Nelson and the other Fates.
>>
>>93220304
He's not part of that. Each issue of Legacies spotlights a character and mentor. Him and Sam aren't any of those.
>>
>>93219759
Nope, this is other really well done too.
>>
>>93219759

DC tends to do better with 'diversity characters' because their characters are actually diverse, not just middle class American teenagers who are also ethnic minorities.
Kenan isn't Asian American, he is actually Chinese, his attitudes and values are Chinese.
>>
>>93219961
Sam falls into this category right? Because he's mixed.
>>
>>93220426
If the DCEU is wary of the Lanterns because of Ryan Reynolds memories, they should just use Jessica as part of the JL. Gives them another female character on the team, it's a bit of a sausagefest otherwise.
>>
>>93220434
Yup, he's just like Kyle Rayner. Down to also not announcing it constantly.
>>
>>93219759
What's wrong with Bally?
>>
>>93219759
In this day and age of attempting diversity all over the place, it's weird how NSM is the only book that's about actual foreigners in a foreign country.
I know the MU consists entirely of New York, space, and a bunch of fictional countries, but still.
>>
Shifting gears, why the fuck is Kyle in his 90s dogs and not his slick as fuck GLC costume that Gleason and Tomasi had him in?
>>
>>93220514
Because Rebirth is going back to a lot of iconic looks. That design was his longest one and brings back some good memories. Just be glad it wasn't Jim Lee's dog collar ribbed for her pleasure costume.
>>
>>93220452
>Gives them another female character on the team, it's a bit of a sausagefest otherwise.
They could just go with some conflict with the Sapphires since the first DCEU Lantern movie if they want females besides Jess.
>>
Kenan, Jessica and Sam are the only legacy characters that seem genuine because they have flaws

Kamala's only flaw is that she's Muslim
>>
I haven't read anything with Miles in a long while, not since around the time the first Spider-Men came out. I thought he was fine. Did he get worse over time, or are the folks who dislike him folks who disliked him from the getgo?
>>
>>93220574
He didn't get worse, he didn't anything. That's the fucking problem. He's an empty character that doesn't feel like anything. He's not even wooden, he's like pudding. Bendis refuses to actually advance him as a character and others seem to be stuck because of that. Shit just happens around him.
>>
>>93219800
>Simon Baz. Jessica Cruz.

Glad it only took to the third reply to get to these two; I was going to say the same thing. These two characters absolutely shame Marvel in terms of getting 'diversity characters' right; they don't replace the originals but supplement them. Their ethnic origins don't define them but season them. They're flawed in believable, interesting ways that drive stories. The marketing around them doesn't constantly bludgeon you over the head with virtue signalling about how great the company is for including them on the basis of race.

It hurts to be a marvelfag sometimes, especially when I see the distinguished competition doing the main thing Marvel is trying to do and doing it better.
>>
>>93220620
Took a while to get there, though. When Simon first came up all you could hear was BLACK LANTERN WITH A GUN
>>
>>93220452

Give Jessica another few years without any writer really shitting the bed with her. I think that there's strong potential in her to fill that role but she's still a little bit 'green' to get a movie push. Five or ten years from now if she's still a strong character, though, I think it would be a great idea.
>>
>>93220634

Yeah, well, people love to jump to conclusions based upon superficial shit. Remember all the people freaking the fuck out assuming Magneto was going to be written as a nazi just because he happened to appear on the cover for an upcoming issue of Secret Empire, and then it turned out that he was just as opposed to Hydra as one would assume? It's just hysterical random hateful nonsense all the time.

But Simon has turned out to be a pretty decent character since then and people have cooled off on that now. I no longer see people freaking out about that, which is a good sign in my eyes that people recognize quality when they see it.
>>
>>93219759
He's not "I'm the REAL Superman now, Kal-El can fuck off."
>>
>>93219759
Kenan is a nonwhite legacy character who is flawed, has a personality, is not replacing the original, has an interesting premise, and he is not Chinese-American just Chinese.

Also his comic has taught me some interesting stuff about China. From Chinese culture to Chinese politics to Chinese myth to Chinese memes, I love it.
>>
Patriot from Marvel was great. Don't know what happened to him. Besides that, and maybe Wiccan if you count gay as diversity, not much good has come from Marvel.
>>
>>93221265
Does Wiccan really count as good when he gave us America
>>
>>93219759
DC has always been better at writing diverse characters marvel
>>
>>93221327

Let not a man be defined by the worst of his actions, but by how they are balanced against his best.
>>
>>93219891
But there is a difference, tho. When Korra fucks up, people around here are treated as if they are in the wrong and she never learns or matures. When Kenan does stupid shit, the universe beats him down. He doesn't entirely learn from his mistakes and he even keeps doing what hes does for his self interest, but the universe never seems to bend to his stupidity.
>>
>>93219759
Never even heard of the guy so I'm gonna say NO
>>
>>93219759
anyone made a Kenan & Kal joke yet?
>>
>>93221628
Oh shit some drawfag please do this
>>
>>93220259
She has been kind of mouthpiecey in the last issue but that might just be because of how heavy handed the villains are
>>
>>93219799
All of this, and it's annoying that Cho keeps getting lumped into "Marvel's forced diversity" crowd just because of his current lagacy + Waid being a shit.

At least TAH has been picking back up again, somewhat. It was a lot better before those shitty Space Jam issues happened.
>>
>>93219759
It probably has something to do with you being a racist. Just throwing that out there.
>>
>>93220252
Clark has flaws. He's from Kansas after all, which is a huge flaw in and of itself.
>>
>>93219759
I like new Ghost Rider
>>
>>93221526
Go read New Super-Man and be prepared to come back with an apology for being wrong.
>>
File: 1495587953878.jpg (361KB, 800x765px) Image search: [Google]
1495587953878.jpg
361KB, 800x765px
brilliant
>>
File: black-manta.jpg (66KB, 696x464px) Image search: [Google]
black-manta.jpg
66KB, 696x464px
>>93219759
>>
>>93219759

MORE DIM SUM MORE DIM SUM!
>>
>>93220144
Probably cause the book had literal memes in it.
>>
>>93221327
America is a great character though she's only insufferable in her own book oddly enough.
>>
File: STL042921.jpg (130KB, 750x608px) Image search: [Google]
STL042921.jpg
130KB, 750x608px
>>93219759
He stands on his own instead of being worshipped at the expense of a better character.
>>
>>93220466
The only thing that was wrong with him was that they initially created him to replaced white Wally. He is fine as his own character with his own issues.
>>
>>93222624
If he changes his name then everything will be perfect.
>>
>>93219759
>When even his mither calls him an idiot during her shocking reveal
Kek, that was perfect.
>>
>>93222639
Honestly I don't mind. It's funny, like Green Lantern Hal Jordan's cousin Hal Jordan who is Airwave.

He should probably get a different nickname though like Iris II eventually was just called Irey for simplicity.
>>
>>93220022
Wasn't the moment that eternally ruined John cosmic odyssey when his character was defined by blowing up a planet? I remember that it was even supposed to be Guy at first but too many writers that were Guy fans complained.
>>
>>93219759
>"diversity characters"
>marvel traumatized people by going overboard with legacies it poisoned the concept and pretty much turned people off to legacy characters

that's pretty sad

>>93220259
>>93222001
the book took a huge tonal shift after secret wars. it's not as lighthearted as it used to be.

also kamala is getting shoehorned into events left & right
>>
>>93222768
I think CW2 harmed her book more than the relaunch after secret wars.
>>
>>93222706
It did for a while then Gerard Jones pretty much salvaged it when he wrote Mosaic.

>I remember that it was even supposed to be Guy at first but too many writers that were Guy fans complained.

I think this is one of those comic myths that would make sense, but isn't actually true. http://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-279/
>>
>>93220574
He's played so safely and mundanely that he's become too boring to pay attention to. It makes his appearances in the more recent events (Civil War 2 and Secret Empire) just feel wasted. He's a cardboard cut-out with no weight.

Really he's just a shallow black Peter Parker with an overpowered one-shot move. I think a good writer could work wonders with him but they'd probably arouse the wrath of Bendis, and given the amount of power he seems to have at Marvel that won't work
>>
>>93220574
He's guilty of mostly being bland and boring since Bendis doesn't do anything with his story. Given to a good writer he could easily be good.
>>
>>93222787
it did but most of the relaunch has had a more serious tone.

i think the only real lighthearted stories were the one where she tries to clone herself & the one where bruno & his black friend try to steal vibrainum.

they don't even seem to do the visual gags much anymore.
>>
>>93219759
>new Quasar

Do I even want to know?
>>
>>93222963
Just some irrelevant character that was one of Hydracaps pawns before he made his reveal.
>>
>>93219759
>He's still taking the time to dip his dimsum

Something about this amuses me.
>>
>>93222963
She lasted 3 issues and is now dead.
Waste of time really.
>>
>>93219759
The circlejerk around this character by fedoras for being a "diversity character done right" is absolutely fucking ridiculous. I can't even imagine what kind of cringy wank the storytimes must be.
>>
>>93219800
Baz and Jessica are not diverse at all, go. Fuck yourself gl fag
The only. Diversity in them is the shade of brown.
>>
>>93220135
Kek, Johns isn't smart but doing that is the kind of thing he does. Like when he told Snyder that the black sidekick deserved a second chance and to go for it even when Snyder was ready to let lark in the past, same as when he made some suggestions for n52 Mr freeze. Just make the fans angry and they will turn on some characters.
>>
>>93223430
t. Milesfag
>>
>>93219759
>new quasar

She's barely even had any screentime, how can you say she's good or bad?
>>
>>93223930
Cruz yes (unless you count anxiety stuff as diverse) but Baz is pretty interesting with how he's a shitty Muslim with more devout family members, it's a fun dynamic. Haven't read Ms. Marvel so maybe that's the same way.
>>
File: kenan_avery_race.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
kenan_avery_race.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
Honestly, I just recently started getting into comics purely because of the minority characters. I stumbled upon New Super-Man last month and fucking loved Kenan and his superdickery. Then I binged through Green Lanterns and I've been liking Baz and Jess so far as well.

Are there any other series /co/ recommends with prominent POC characters? I'm planning to look at some Kamala Khan-Miss Marvel and Mr Terrific stuff when I have the time.
>>
>>93224106
Errrr as leads? Batwoman is the example that comes in mind but the rebirth book is new and nothing happened yet.
>>
>>93224106
This is pretty creepy desu
>>
>>93224077
Diversity would be if he was actually from an Arab country and his background didn't include eating at big belly burger. A white guy from Estonia is more diverse than a brown guy from new york. Is about how their. Diversity affects storytelling, Baz could had been a black guy uncle Tom from a black panther family and he wouldn't change that much.

I live jess and Baz but the diversity stuff is extremely gimmicky and superficial
>>
>>93224106
Ultimates and Ultimates2 are stellar. Although it does require some pre knowledge of cosmic Marvel.
>>
>>93224106
This seems like a fun read
>>
>>93220514
I'm with you guy. I want back his
>feels like i never left
threads
>>
>>93220173
Hal did have a cameo.
>>
>>93220514
>>93224301
While trying to revive the Blue Lantern Corps as the White Lantern, Doctor Manhattan (well, not confirmed but we all fucking know it was) interfered, making it fail and reverting him back to a Green Lantern in the classic threads. I feel it's an intentional choice, same as Doc reviving pre-Flashpoint Thawne.
>>
File: Kyle_Rayner's_new_look[1].png (58KB, 250x269px) Image search: [Google]
Kyle_Rayner's_new_look[1].png
58KB, 250x269px
>>93224323
*Kyle
The GL who cameo'd in Justice League was based on the GL who appeared in Superman TAS, and he was explicitly stated to be Kyle iirc.
>>
>>93219759
Miles has no personality besides Black Spider-Man, zero villains of his own. New Quasar is just another snarky lesbian (doesn't hold a candle to Phyla), Kamala is a mouthpiece for the writer's politics, refuses to acknowledge how fucked up her religion is but boy oh boy is she quick to judge others on trivial shit.
>>
>>93220231
I hope she caused the crash just to cover her tracks. That would absolutely fuck with his head to an insane degree
>>
>>93224365
It's funny how the only continuity where superman is supporting of Kyle is the timmverse. In all others why while Kyle idolized superman it's always batman the one that "cares" about him. My first GL comic was when batman steals his ring and Kyle almost got himself killed so I loved the superman episode.
>>
>>93224365
Hal had a cameo in JLU when Batman and John Stewart went to that dystopian future.
>>
>>93219759
Because he's not made for the sake of diversity, but for the sake of pandering to China. There's a difference.
>>
>>93219759
Kamala is only bad in Champions.
>>
>>93219759
Kamal was good but it was because her diversity was actually kind of unoriginal. We've all read stories of immigrant children being torn between conservative old world values and the decadence of America and Kamala wasn't different. It also helped because her first issues only beat you over the head about "#notallmuslims" sparsely compared to the others and the book gave her time to showcase the parts of her personality that weren't rooted in her faith. Sadly, she's gone down the shitter. Anyway, love Chinese Chad Thundercock.
>>
>>93219759
Cho and Kamala are fine. Plus Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz are great.
>>
>>93220014
>Kyle is Mexican
Comics for the last 10 years could have fooled me. I think Omega Men was the only thing to bring this up. I had been under the assumption he was white until then.
>>
>>93224887
>Chad Thundercock
Ling Thunderwang
>>
>>93225090
>Not Kong Superdong
>>
>>93225061
He is white. His mom was white, and his father was white.

He is still Latino.
>>
>>93219817
Normalizing Islam is not ok
>>
>>93224106
PreFlashpoint run of Blue Beetle with Jaime Rayes.
Rebirth run is okay, but 00s run was better.
>>
>>93225169

Truly ours is a strange and confusing race.
>>
>>93225169
His mom is Irish and his dad was introduced as deadbeat Mexican/Latino looking guy. He only got really white in New Guardians for whatever reason.
>>
>>93222662
Airwave wasn't a Lantern and eventually disappeared into obscurity until he died.
>>
File: triggered.png (311KB, 600x524px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.png
311KB, 600x524px
>>93219759
>mixing traditional and simplified characters
>>
>>93223430
Go away, Bendis.
>>
File: 1490183673537.gif (1MB, 195x229px) Image search: [Google]
1490183673537.gif
1MB, 195x229px
>>93225169
>>
>>93219781
>tried to murder Batman China
Really? Huh, maybe he's not all bad.
>>
>>93219759
Good writing. Something that Marvel is currently lacking right now.
>>
>>93220648
It's just me or the greens somehow always stays relevant? I mean if we look at the Bat-Family or the Supes most of them are just in a limbo
>>
>>93222305
Look up all the variant covers for New Super-Man. They are all great.
>>
>>93224215
>Diversity is whatever I decide it is

Please leave
>>
>>93223340
In the three Secret Empire related issues that she appeared in, she: Got eaten by a space creature in one, eaten and blown up while in the space creature in another, and then seen in a hospital asleep in a coma in another.
She's probably coming back before the event finishes
>>
Protip: being not white doesn't make a character a "diversity" character.

A Chinese man making Chinese characters set in China is not "diversity".

A diversity character is one introduced to an otherwise white cast, who is intended literally by the white author to add diversity. Although I use white as an example here because that's normally what it is, but Yang adding a white person to the otherwise Chinese cast would probably count.

White is not the "default" race. Writers naturally want to make characters that reflect themselves in some way, and when you're a minority in whatever country you live in, your ethnicity or sexuality is important to your identity, and so is naturally something you'd want your character to reflect.

Diversity characters are often bad because they don't actually come from the author's self, they come from a desire to add a character that reflects someone other than themselves. Usually as a character is developed and becomes more complex the writer may start to see themselves more and more in the character and this is when that diversity character becomes an actual character.

This is why there's a push to have actual minorities write minority characters-- they put THEMSELVES into the character and bring their real life experiences into them instead of some white straight guy trying to imagine what it must be like to be a minority resulting in a shallow character that does not feel real.

That's what true diversity is, characters that reflect a vast array of perspectives just like real people do.

When people say a good minority character is "a regular character that happens to be a minority", that's not a good minority character, because being a minority colors your experience of the world, whether you align with stereotypes, actively rebel against them or try their best to disregard them.
>>
>>93226962
>This is why there's a push to have actual minorities write minority characters-- they put THEMSELVES into the character and bring their real life experiences into them instead of some white straight guy trying to imagine what it must be like to be a minority resulting in a shallow character that does not feel real.
This is a load of nonsense and Priest has spoken out about how he was typecast as "the black guy who writes black guys" and he refused to write big two comics for over a decade until they let him write a white character.
>>
>>93227179
Being a minority doesn't mean you HAVE to write minorities. What I'm saying is if you're making a new minority character, you should get a minority to create them so you don't either get a bland token or a "hello fellow African Americans" character from a white guy trying to understand what it's like to be black.

Notice that most characters Priest creates are black.

Of course no one wants to be "the guy who writes black characters". As a comics fan of course Priest wants to write his favorites who aren't black. And Priest in particular has been in comics so long he's tired of writing about the black experience. He's been there and done that a million times.

But that's not true for every creator, and you can get black writers who want to create black characters without having to typecast them as "the guy who writes black characters".
>>
>>93227309
>What I'm saying is if you're making a new minority character, you should get a minority to create them so you don't either get a bland token or a "hello fellow African Americans" character from a white guy trying to understand what it's like to be black.
That's unnecessary. Good writers create good characters, bad/mediocre writers create bad. The vast majority of characters any given writer writes are from backgrounds that are not theirs. I doubt you also think that women are unable to write men well or the Japanese are unable to write white Americans or Europeans well.
>Notice that most characters Priest creates are black.
Seems doubtful. In Deathstroke Priest-created characters include the Black Panther parody, but then there's Hosun (based on his Asian friend), Isherwood (white, gay), and Dr. Villain (white).
>>
>>93227551
I doubt you also think that women are unable to write men well or the Japanese are unable to write white Americans or Europeans well.
The only well-written Americans in anime are those who are half-Japanese.
>>
>>93227604
Revy Two Hands is Chinese-American. :^)
>>
>>93226962
>Diversity characters are often bad because they don't actually come from the author's self, they come from a desire to add a character that reflects someone other than themselves. Usually as a character is developed and becomes more complex the writer may start to see themselves more and more in the character and this is when that diversity character becomes an actual character.

Bullshit. Look at the America book, that's a queer latino woman writing a queer latino woman character and its an awful mess. Does that mean you have to be an alien to write Superman, or had to grow up on a farm to do so? Must you be a billionair to understand Bruce Wayne or grow up in a city of only women to write Wonder Woman? Hell no.
>>
>>93227680
>Look at the America book, that's a queer latino woman writing a queer latino woman character and its an awful mess
That's not how logic work.
>>
File: 1497473903166.png (327KB, 459x593px) Image search: [Google]
1497473903166.png
327KB, 459x593px
When did the need to have diversity overtake the need to have, I dunno, good stories
>>
>>93227726
Yeah I know I was pointing out the flaws in that arguement. Having a black person write a black character won't magically make it good, just like how it didn't make America good.
>>
>>93226962
There's nothing wrong with saying that minority writers can inject "authenticity" to a work but people who claim that because someone can't imagine or understand someone else or a character and cannot do them justice because they're a different ethnicity or skin tone or religion or what have you is silly and shows that people who harp such points think empathy does not exist and that we should never try to understand others due to our differences rendering such attempts futile for obscure and poorly argued reasons
>>
>>93225611
His dad was a Latino superspy/assassin who went into hiding so they wouldn't kill his wife and kid. Not exactly deadbeat.
>>
>>93230320
After the fact he definitely had that look though. He was a fat greasy guy in a torn wifebeater.
>>
File: 1377912525423.png (255KB, 413x322px) Image search: [Google]
1377912525423.png
255KB, 413x322px
>>93219759
>>
>>93230574
Yeah, he was a contractor or something. Had to live a new life.
>>
>>93222330
Wait, Black Manta was black? I just thought he was really edgy!
>>
>>93232612
The "Why did you think I called myself BLACK Manta" reveal was hilariously stupid.
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.