[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What works avoid the trope of the main character being the least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1497150112141.jpg (27KB, 206x397px) Image search: [Google]
1497150112141.jpg
27KB, 206x397px
What works avoid the trope of the main character being the least interesting character?
>>
>>93213522
Star vs.
>>
>>93213522
Speaking of, why does the main character always seem to be the blandest?
>>
>>93213580
Relatability and room to grow.
>>
>>93213580
Easy for the reader to relate to.
>>
>>93213522
>Trope
For one stop trying to think in cliches.
>>93213580
I'd say an issue is that when there's an MC you think is boring it's because they're usually all laid out in front of you, there's a lack of mystery about them and their goals and wants are more spelled out to the viewer. Other characters are allowed to have more mystery about them since they're a supporting character. They can come from more interesting and divergent that you're not used to because they'd be largely irrelevant to the story at hand. And they can be allowed to maintain their mystery or go through a more exteme arc because they're not the MC who needs to be somewhat preserved for the rest of the story at hand.
>>
>>93213580
Writing the protagonist as a generic everyman who knows nothing about the conflicts of the story is an easy to give the audience exposition via proxy, because other characters have to explain stuff to him.
>>
>>93214029
Now I am picturing other shows, like Kim Possible, Danny Phanton and such, with the point of view changed to secondary characters, and it all makes sense.
>>
>>93214438
Kim would be such a good character in a Ron Stoppable show.
>>
>>93214718
Maybe but she might be just as flat. She's just a little too perfect most the time. If she was just Ron's hypercompetent "sidekick" we might not even see what little bit of flaws and angst she does have.
>>
>>93213580
The main character tends to be the standard for the world the work is in, or at least the culture the work was created in, and the other characters are defined by how they deviate from that midpoint. The main character then has to reiterate what the median/expected course of action is and how the other character is deviating from it. It serves an important story function but it can make them come off super bland and often hamfisted.
>>
Because we spent the more time with them thus we get bored of them the fastest.
>>
>>93213580
Most shows have very slow development and since the MC has the most screentime it becomes more obvious.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.