[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now we can finally get rid of James Gunn and get a director who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 7

File: ytuygbyui.png (518KB, 521x411px) Image search: [Google]
ytuygbyui.png
518KB, 521x411px
Now we can finally get rid of James Gunn and get a director who doesn't think the Guardians are just a bunch of meme Redditors.
>>
>>93178148
He's already signed up to do the next one
>>
>>93178148
>made a shitload of money
>'now he can go'
??????????????????????
>>
>>93178156
Studios dont like low box office returns.

Gunn will mysteriously leave the MCU due to "creative differences"
>>
>>93178148
why? normies/reddit/co love that quip bullshit, dance offs and pac man. people eat that shit up
>>
>>93178161
>Only made 60 million more than it's predecessor

Kek.
>>
>>93178164
>Studios dont like low box office returns.

The second film made more than the first, which itself was a massive blockbuster hit

I'm not sure what you mean
>>
>>93178165
Why do people love edgy piss tea?
>>
>>93178228
this is the guy im talking about

>I KNOW HIM FROM WORK LOLOL :DDD

you love this shit dont you?
>>
>>93178239

Jokes make me laugh, this releases endorphins which cause pleasure

You would know this pleasure if not for your chemical imbalance
>>
I know Disney had an insane 2016 so now every movie that doesn't make wan birrion is now considered a flop by idiots but these films are still wildly profitable.
>>
>>93178210
Do you not understand how Hollywood works? Studios expect more than $60 fucking million gross for the sequel to their highly successful first movie. Then you have to factor in the larger budget so its not even a $60 million gross.
>>
>>93178260

>/r/Marvelstudios is on suicide watch

Kek
>>
File: 1464271049317.jpg (33KB, 329x400px) Image search: [Google]
1464271049317.jpg
33KB, 329x400px
>>93178258
>>
>>93178263

Oh so they make 40 mil instead of 60

I bet that must have but Disney in the red
>>
Good. Vol.2 was trash and I'm glad audiences are finally catching on to MCU kikery
>>
>>93178148
>t. Didnt read abnett and lanning era GotG
>>
>>93178273
>He literally doesn't understand Hollywood
>>
I haven't looked the box office for this but I'm sure /co/ was right two months ago and it made the easiest billion in movie history.
>>
>>93178285
MCU fanboys are just as bad as Snyderfags. Vol.2 could have made only $100 million and they'll still be saying it was a success.
>>
>>93178281
The DnA run is nothing like the movies shill. I know you have that panel of Star Lord making a quip ready to post just so you can say "See?! It's just like the movies!"
>>
>>93178295
>made ~5% less than BvS on 80% of the budget
>>
>it made less money than Suicide Squad when discounting China (aka comparing same markets)
Fuck the movie was a piece of shit alright but I wasn't expecting this
>>
File: dude really.png (83KB, 313x290px) Image search: [Google]
dude really.png
83KB, 313x290px
>>93178148
>something is good an popular
>people repeat lines from it
>moments from it become memes
>because it is popular everywhere, it is also popular on reddit
>"ff-f-fucking redditshit, this is just reddit memes, these characters are redditors fgfgdfhg"

I can only feel pity.
>>
File: Capture+_2017-06-13-06-00-35.png (77KB, 791x398px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-06-13-06-00-35.png
77KB, 791x398px
>>93178325
I guess someone can claim anything.
>>
>>93178392
>Domestic

You aren't even trying.
>>
>>93178392
>it made less money than Suicide Squad when discounting China (aka comparing same markets)

>when
>discounting
>china
>>
>>93178392
>domestic
>discounting china
top wew my lad
>>
>it made less domestically and less internationally but if you pick just the RIGHT countries and exclude the ones we don't like it kinda makes our numbers look better so hah
>>
>>93178258
Be thankful your autism allows you laughter from such shitty humor
>>
>>93178260
Disney Marvel might have to panda now for more chink bucks
>>
>>93178434

Both sides do this.

Remember the screaming about BvS video sales? Both of you pick your goalposts and run around the field with them.

>but MY side does it les-

No you don't. You're both equally bad.

>but MY side is ri-

Whatever.
>>
>>93178440
Autism disallows you to find things funny unless they are tailored to your specific tastes. So that would make you autistic, actually.
>>
>>93178454
>pointing out DCEU fags being retarded
>respond with another example of DCEU fags being retarded while saying "both sides do it"
>>
>>93178434
>one wasn't released in china and the other did
>when factoring this objective fact, one performed better than the other despite costing less and having less budget
Not that hard to understand IMO
>>
>>93178471
>*less marketing budget
>>
Remember when people kept inventing new records that BvS supposedly broke like "most tickets sold on the Tuesday after release during the last week of March while it was raining"?

Good times.
>>
>>93178487
Yes and it's funny how MCUcks are doing the same thing.
>>
For some reason the GotG brand doesn't do as well internationally as the Avengers and their solo heroes ones.

It did better domestically than the first movie, but it had almost no growth in the overseas market, which happens with pretty much all MCU sequels. The domestic/overseas split is even smaller for the sequel (44% domestic for GotG2, 43% for the first one an the domestic percentage might grow since it still has about 10-15 million to make in the US...overseas it's done). Is it because the humor is so US centric? All those pop culture references are lost on the Asian market for example. Doctor Strange and Ant-Man made more money in China than GotG 2 did (and also GotG 1), that's crazy. GotG is actually one of the most unpopular MCU properties overseas.
>>
>>93178330

Yeah, this "lol reddit memes" meme that's become so popular on 4Chan is one of the most boring /co/ memes in recent memory. They spam the same meme with respect to Rick & Morty and for the same reasons. This absolute desperation to be one of the cool kids that hates all the right people for all the right reasons to be part of the cool kids in-group results in the most time-wasting groupthink around here.
>>
>>93178295
>>93178295
Instead in made upward of $800 million so you're full of shit.
>>
>>93178552
Go back.

>>93178557
Instead it only made less than $60 million more than the first.
>>
>>93178526
All you need to do is to compare the overseas box office of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and GotG Vol. 2 to see how big the difference is between the US popularity of the GotG and the international one.

Captain America: The First Avenger made 193 million overseas, while TWS did 454. That's an over 50% increase for the sequel, and the first Captain America really wasn't a phenomenon and Cap wasn't very popular even after The Avengers. Not to mention the name itself is a bigger turn off for foreign audiences. GotG did 440 million and it was extremely well received critically and was practically everywhere in the US. Naturally you'd think it would have a big jump overseas just like Captain America, right? Nope, it only did 467 million, a minimal increase over the first movie and just barely made more than Cap TWS. In the US it's the opposite, both GotG movies did much more than TWS.
>>
The first movie felt fresh and different from the rest of the capeshit flood, the DCEU emo shit and the MCU bland paint by numbers shit. This one felt paint by numbers and bland already. This "second formula" has dried out right off the gate
>>
>>93178302
>t. DEFINITELY didnt read abnett and lanning era GotG
>>
>>93178668
You must be confusing DnA with the Bendis comics, shill. Please research what you're shilling about before you make yourself look stupid.
>>
>>93178526
>US centric humor not popular elsewhere

In China, the Middle East or Japan maybe. In Europe popular culture for a large part is US or Britbong pop culture. So US centric humor actually means "western humor". Christ, the word "fucking" even made it's way into German expressions (which sounds horrible) and it doesn't even stand out anymore for the most part.
>>
>>93178148

All Marvel movies are quip centric. GotG 2 is the first one after Winter Soldier that isn't exclusively quips but has some actual, serious drama in it (for a superhero movie).

Best Marvel movie in the sense that it's an actual movie instead of just a checklist decorated with quips.

Which doesn't mean I like "serious" movies like from the DCU. I like Marvel movies better than edgy Snyder shit (haven't seen WW yet).
>>
>>93178175
That's a 25 week total vs a 5 week total.
>>
>>93178263
Holy shit you don't understand the words you're using. In 5 weeks, Vol 2 has made $60 million more than the first made in 25 weeks.

Also that's not what a gross is.
>>
>>93178148
The problem isn't with Gunn, it is with comic writers who feel the need to act like the movies cause they're popular, and not do it well.
>>
>>93178440
The interesting thing about your statement is that it implies that you are better than the people who enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy movies because they found it funny and you didn't, citing that the humor is "shitty". However, if the people who liked the movie felt more joy from it than you did, can you still claim that you are better than them? The question goes further, to the subject of Reddit or normalfags or any of these other groups /co/ looks down upon: if they are feeling more joy than you when experiencing media, are they truly inferior to you? Is ignorant bliss really something to mock/pity?
>>
>>93178526
>Doctor Strange and Ant-Man made more money in China than GotG 2 did (and also GotG 1)
Doc Strange had bigger name stars featured. Alien head's Sherlock is major fucking popular internationally and especially in Asian countries.

Ant-Man was a slow burn and it picked up steam over seas with good reviews and Michael Douglas getting a lot of screen time
>>
I hate both Guardians movie... they're NOTHING like the DnA run, people saying otherwise definitely never read a comic, just look what Gunn did to the Nova Corps, Star-Lord, DRAX! and other cosmic characters and concepts...

The worst part is the synergy in comics, they already ruined Star-Lord, he's the "new Gambit" you know... charismatic and cool design, but empty inside, he's just a shadow of what he used to be, they almost ruined Gamora with that shitty ongoing by the writer of the movie, they're ruining Groot with the baby Groot shit (at least it seems to have another explanation).
>>
>>93179986
Still, that just shows the GotG are not as popular overseas as they are in the US. Ant-Man, one of the lowest grossing MCU movies, did better in the second biggest market after the US than both GotG. And that's on almost half the budget of GotG Vol. 2.
>>
>>93178148
> guys, guys, guys, can we all admit this was shit now? And I'm totally not just some troll who hasn't watched a single MCU movie past phase 1 regurgitating memes and parroted criticisms! Quips and fun are shit tho amirite?

Seriously, you guys finally get a good movie (Wonder Woman) and the only thing you can think of it still trying to shit on the "other guy".
>>
>>93178165
its the entertain in entertainment. Probably the same reason people like having fun instead of brooding
>>
>>93180397
>ctrl f "wonder"
>1 result
Really turns the think-o-matic into overdrive
>>
All Marvel movies follow the same basic formula. I don't know how people didn't get sick of this shit years ago.
>>
>>93180601
Most people don't stew in their seats mad assblasted that they can predict the goodies beating the baddies.
>>
>>93178281
>reading that overrated trash
lmao. Enjoy your constant event tie-ins, inhuman shilling, and dumbing down of half the cast from what Giffen had done with them.
>>
>>93180397
>Only DCfags hate the MCU
>>
>>93178692
>implying DnA wasn't about quippy underdogs saving the Galaxy from dangers way out of their league

Keep digging that hole, casual.
>>
File: catkiss.jpg (384KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
catkiss.jpg
384KB, 1920x1080px
>>93178263
>Then you have to factor in the larger budget so its not even a $60 million gross
THAT'S NOT HOW GROSS WORKS YOU SLACKJAWED TRIPLEFAGGOT
IF YOU'RE FACTORING IN THE BUDGET YOU'RE WORKING WITH NET
GET YOUR FUCKING TERMINOLOGY CORRECT YOU SOFT-COCKED NINNY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>93180120
They're as much like the DNA run as they are Starlin or Valentino's work with the characters and concepts. Or in the case of Star-Lord, the classic stories by Englehart and Claremont where he was a bitter emotionally stunted asshole hung up on the death of his mom by aliens and his shitty childhood.

But yeah, I'm the casual and not you, Mr "DnA is the end-all be-all to Cosmic/GOTG."
>>
>>93181668
Some people can't into tone or subtext. If it doesn't mirror the comics in narrative, it's not like the comics at all. Gunn's been one of the most true-to-comics directors in the MCU.
>>
>>93178407
>>93178417
>>93178424
>Made more money than Suicide Squad in every area it played outside China

Are you done?
>>
>>93182828
Those posts were from 7 hours ago so yeah, I think they were done proving Suicide Squad made more money discounting China
>>
>>93178623
You do realize that TFA was released before the China market boom happened right? There was a huge increase because it premiered where superhero movies was at the height of their popularity and China took notice (Iron Man 3 did better than its predecessors as well)
>>
>>93178440

Autism works in reverse of your implication, bud.

My friends and I are casual normies. We don't give a shit about company wars or MUH CHARACTERS garbage and we take pleasure in a lot of different things. GotG was funny. The weakest joke was the Taserface shit that went on forever and that was about it.

I'll never understand why so many of you get so salty about quips and humor in comic book movies.
>>
>>93180193
>Still, that just shows the GotG are not as popular overseas as they are in the US
....despite the fact that it's made more money overseas than anything other than Avengers (Capt. Ironman)
>>
>>93182898
>I think they were done proving Suicide Squad made more money discounting China
....but it didn't you dumbass>>93178392
It made more domestically and internationally. The very fact that you have to exclude China shows how desperate you are.
>>
This thread might have given me multiple anyurisms.

I fucking hate /co/
>>
>>93178148
So, making more money is bad now?
>>
>>93183032
But Suicide Squad wasn't released in China so they are comparing the same markets. And Suicide Squad did better, kind of sad really
>>
>>93178148
Gunn is the only truly talented director Marvel has.
He should do the next Avengers desu
>>
>>93181668
>Englehart
Ironic... the same Englehart that said that MCU Star-Lord is almost nothing like his Star-Lord?

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/05/06/star-lord-creator-reacted-chris-pratt-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

I'm not casual, maybe you neither, but MCU Star-Lord is nothing like comic Star-Lord, any version of comic Star-Lord... except the current, but you know, synergy!

Also... not only Star-Lord, Gunn ruined a lot of cosmic characters and concepts, IMO... and well, MCU Guardians are mostly based on DnA Guardians... of course I will compare them, I'm not saying that DnA run was the best.
>>
>>93178148
That's because international rates in 2013 were 20% higher than they are today.
>>
>>93178263
>>93178164
>>93178148
I see Marvel Entertainment is at war with Marvel Studios again
>>
>>93183129
>Well, he’s kind of an asshole and the guy I created was a real asshole. But, you know basically a very distant relative of the guy that I created.

He's a jerk hung up on his mom, like Englehart's Quill. He's a swashbuckling adventurer, like Claremont. He's a sarcastic and quippy underdog, like DnA. Like Gamora and Drax and Ronan, he is an amalgam of several different versions of the characters.

Why you ask? Because practically all of the development for the main characters was precluded by the time GOTGv2 happened in 616. Starting a GOTG series with a 1:1 adaptation of the DnA run would be like starting the Avengers series with an adaptation of Civil War. But unlike the Avengers you can't give all the Guardians solo movies. So Gunn takes bits and pieces from all the stories over the years to create something new. And yes, he certainly adds his own flavor. The dancing and Ego for Quill, and Rocket and Groot aren't very similar to their comic versions outside of their skills and background. He also lifts the family of survivors theme from the classic GOTG and applies it to the modern team.

So yes, they are as much like the DnA run as they are the work of previous writers, in that Gunn took elements of all of them to create something new.
>>
>>93181597
>"Look I boiled down the DnA run to it's most basic form to make it sound like the shitty movies I love!"

Fuck off back to /r/marvelstudios. You haven't read it.
>>
>>93183979
>it's not a direct adaptation of the plot, so it's nothing like the comics!

I've been coming exclusively to 4chan since Conquest was releasing. Fuck outta here newfag.
>>
>>93182757
>Gunn's been one of the most true-to-comics directors in the MCU.

>Turned Star Lord into Meme Lord
>Made Drax and Gamora autistic
>Made Groot dumb
>The Nova Corps are just regular space police
>Ronan is a one-note autistic villain
>Ego is Star Lord's father

Fuck off shill.
>>
>>93184017
>continuing to miss the point about tone and subtext

I bet you've never even read any Starlin or Valentino.
>>
>>93178148
I liked them. Only part I remember not liking from the second one was the PAC-Man part because it gave me horrible flashbacks to the time I was forced to watch Pixels 7 times in a row.
>>
>>93184123
>forced to watch Pixels 7 times in a row.
(you) knew you were going to be asked about that, explain yourself
>>
>>93184204
Forced to go on a skins trip with my family and some family friends. Was also forced to spend time with a autistic 14 year old because he would beat up everyone his age using his retard strength, so they thought I could control him better. He easily gets obsessed over stuff and he was obsessed with Pixles at the time. So put two and two togheter and I ended up being forced to watch Pixels with him over and over again. I watched that terrible movie 12 times during one 3 day trip.
>>
>>93184055
Boiling down a property to it's most basic form is not a faithful adaption. By that logic the Catwoman movie was very true to the comics fucktard.
>>
>>93184360
>skins trip

You know, most people would laugh at this but i personally see nothing wrong with 2 naked men enjoying an Adam Sandler movie.
>>
>>93184535
>I know nothing about cape movies or comics: the post

A "faithful" adaptation of the DnA run would have been a bunch of characters nobody gives a shit about because none of their development is shown, fighting a threat that nobody gives a shit about because there's no Annihilation or Conquest movie to set it up. Maybe it would have sated our comic boners with nice uniforms and epic references but it would have been a disaster as an actual piece of storytelling.

I mean what would the plot even have been? Do you focus on Thanos? Margus? The Universal Church of Truth? The fault and the Cancerverse incursions? Do you begin with the end of Conquest, or just drop the viewers in with a bunch of literally who's on a team for some reason that's not actually discussed except in flashbacks? And even if you jump to the end of Quill's arc with him redeeming himself you're still gonna have to either lift from older comics or invent a bunch of shit wholesale for Gamora, Drax, and Groot cause lord knows they were just wallpaper in GOTGv2.

Face it dude, the history of these characters and the concept of the GOTG is far too complicated to squeeze in its entirety in one movie. They needed to boil it down to the core concepts for the sake of introducing the characters to a general audience. So while it may not be a faithful adaptation of that one run, it is a faithful adaptation of the concept in general.
>>
>>93178175
>GotG
>In Release: 175 days / 25 weeks
>GotG vol. 2
>In Release: 38 days / 5.4 weeks
>comparing boxoffice
>>
>ITT
>MUH FUN
>>
Why does GOTG inspire such wailing and gnashing of teeth? I don't see excessive bitching regarding every other superhero movie which has altered the characters and chronology of the stories they're drawing on. The only one I can even think of that's close to 1:1 is Sin City.
>>
>>93185390
>Why does GOTG inspire such wailing and gnashing of teeth?
Because a lot of people around here genuinely like both of the movies, and given that it was also a hit with normalfag audiences the "obvious" assumption is that the only people making threads to discuss it are from Reddit, thus activating the "NORMALFAGS GET OUT REEEEEEEE" button of /co/.
>>
>>93182963
>GotG was funny.
No, it wasn't. That's the point.
>>
>>93185588
>humor is objective
>>
>>93185609
>shit taste doesn't exist
>>
File: C4rn4OHXAAACMkP.jpg (11KB, 258x260px) Image search: [Google]
C4rn4OHXAAACMkP.jpg
11KB, 258x260px
>>93185621
>taste is something other than the manifestation of a preference
>>
>>93185621
>taste is objective
>>
I'm not going to scream Reddit but I think when people say Meme-Lord they're talking about how the movie doesn't take itself seriously. Like it will build up drama only to have it eased with a joke. I enjoyed the first one but the sequel exaggerates this problem. The comic had it's jokes and even during dramatic moments but they didn't take you out of the moment
>>
>>93185916
I actually saw it again today and I got quite sick and tired of Star Lords constant pop culture references. The guy's lived in space for 20-odd years and he's talking to space aliens about TV shows he's not seen in the same amount of time. He's not a fish out of water when he's lived with extra-terrestrials most of his life.
>>
>>93185000
Stupid auto correct. Skiing trip. And the worst part was it ended up being to warm and all the snow melted by the time we got to the hill.
>>
While OP is being retarde, I agree that in Vol. 2, the characters felt like a parody of themselfs.
>>
>>93185990
It serves to drive home how much his truncated childhood on Earth means to him.
>>
>>93185916
>the sequel exaggerates this problem
I mostly disagree. While there were definitely dramatic moments where the humor was seriously out of place (Pac-Man and the tape conversation coming to mind immediately), much of the drama near the end was played straight and I appreciate they were willing to take grave moments like Yondu's death seriously (some people have said that Peter's weird comparison to Hasselhoff was intended as a joke, but I imagine it was meant to come off as an awkward eulogy from a guy who never had to deal with the death of a loved one head-on, much less a parent).

However, >>93186352 raises a decent point in that few of the characters felt like proper continuations of the Guardians we saw in the first movie. Groot had an excuse for this, but there was no reason for Drax to become such a blithering idiot near constantly, and the movie needed SO much more of the quiet Drax moments like the scene where he reminisces about his family to Mantis. Rocket got some decent development, while Peter's development was okay (if a little unnecessary, since we already knew from the first movie that he found family with the Guardians). I liked the tension between Gamora and Nebula, but those two needed a LOT more time to flesh out their relationship and go from wanting to kill each other to "Best Sisters 4ever".
>>
>>93186507
>"Best Sisters 4ever"

Did we watch the same movie? Cause they weren't exactly on great terms at the end. They just don't want to kill each other anymore.
>>
File: images.jpg (22KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
22KB, 225x225px
>>93178552
>>93178608
It's just a stupid fucking meme in general. I like it tho because I can pick out the retards. If someone tells me 'I'm from reddit' and seriously expects me to get heated or angry about their playground tier insult I know to completely disregard their opinion because they must actually be stupid or underage. It's right up there with the '4chan is an exclusive club for the cool kids and you're only allowed if you follow the same type of meme hivemind we criticize everyone else for.' all those idiots can fuck off as well.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.