[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

With the general perception that anime is for freaks and Western

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 25

File: 1401x788-SAUSAGE-PARTY02.jpg (107KB, 1401x788px) Image search: [Google]
1401x788-SAUSAGE-PARTY02.jpg
107KB, 1401x788px
With the general perception that anime is for freaks and Western cartoons are for kids, Sausage Party set out to PROVE animation can be for grown-ups too. What went wrong?
>>
>>93175421
It was too immature. I mean, I liked it and loved smoking pot with it. Most people outside of the 15 - 27 age range are not going to watch it.

I feel like the best way to make adult animation would be to have a life action movie with a lot of animated segments strewn throughout (or a Roger Rabbit type movie).

Make multiple of these and turn it into a genre eventually making the animation the thing that people go to the movie for.

In 20 years you could probably make adult animation viable this way.
>>
>>93175421
>what went wrong?

nothing?? It was so succesful it will get a sequel
comblr BTFO
>>
Adult cartoons can be funny without excessive cussing, weed references, and raunchy sex jokes.
>>
>>93175421
It's fine for what it is; a blatantly dumb, immature, silly adult movie. It isn't some sort of grand, revolutionary film, especially given that there have been adult cartoons for ages, not to mention Fritz the cat did the "cartoon movie but for adults" thing long, long before this.
>>
It was a commercial endeavour spearheaded by people who don't care about the medium who mistreated the fuck out of the animators.

Western animation will only stop being for kids the day it drops a daicon iv
>>
>>93175890
>Fritz the cat
that movie was terrible....
I left it in a bad mood.
>>
>>93175897
>the day it drops a daicon iv

A what now?
>>
>>93175421
It was an immature mess despite being R rated. I mean for fuck's sake, the hotdog buns resemble vaginas, how can you think it'll revolutionize anything.

Granted it's funny, but it doesn't deserve nearly as much praise as it got, especially when the whole thing about the poor working conditions came to light.
>>
>>93175421
Underpaying and uncrediting workers with the threat of blacklisting them from the industry if they speak up

Also all it did was perpetuate the perception that cartoons are either for kids or are adult comedies like Family Guy, The Simpsons, Futurama, etc. In my opinion the biggest recent thing that could have, and kinda did, challenge the animation age ghetto was Samurai Jack Season V but then again it was airing on Adult Swim which has proven to be mostly niche and it aired right next to an aforementioned anime.
>>
>>93175916
Never said it was good, it's just the earliest example I can remember.
I don't think it was too bad, but it definitely felt like a movie you're meant to watch while you're high, as much of a cliche as that is to say.
>>
>>93175890
The world needs more people like Ralph Bakshi.
>>
>>93175944
Maybe. It was definitely one of those "feel bad" kind of movies because Fritz is such an unrelenting scumbag and he accomplishes nothing.I'd be miserable if I watched it while high.
>>
File: 1491719380916.jpg (274KB, 1448x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491719380916.jpg
274KB, 1448x1080px
>>93175923
https://youtu.be/-840keiiFDE

Basically this was back in the day when studio gain a were literally a bunch of college dropouts working in a sweatshop off their own dime to make animation.

See, the thing that makes it special is that this was around the time that anime wasn't considered for adults. Once upon a time, it had the same stigma as Western cartoons. But bit by bit, they started making stuff like gundam to try and expand the medium. It could have been a fluke, but when a bunch of rogue animators just dropped this shit at a convention, it changed everything. It gave the movement an identity behind a genuinely moving art piece, and it wasn't made for profit. It was made out of passion. If this hadn't dropped and kickstarted an unstoppable movement establishing anime as a thing adults could be into, they would be in the same spot we're in today.

So it's not gonna get better with some giant media company making a gimmicky adult stoner movie. It's gonna get better when enough people male enough adult content at the same time, and then some really talented dudes make something genuinely special enough to literally save western animation and inspire everyone else to keep making adult animation.
>>
>>93175897
I don't get how that would prove anything?

>>93175923
Daicon is Japan's equivalent of Comic-Con. During the fourth ever held one (hence roman numeral IV); the opening ceremony featured a AMV-Featurette done by a bunch of animation students in their dorm(s). Said students were founders of Gainax.
>>
>>93175421
the problem is this
"adult cartoons" appeal to children
"children cartoons" appeal to adults
>>
>DUDE [WHAT IF FOOD SMOKED] WEED LMAO
>for adults
>not just juvenile
>>
Literally nothing went wrong.

It will be a cult classic alongside Pinapple Express and Cheech and Chong in 30 years.
>>
>>93175421
>Adult Cartoon
>still completely immature
>>
>>93175792
are you autistic or 11?
>>
What's wrong with /co/? Not long ago would there have been 100 posts hating on this abortion of a movie.
>>
It's funny that even tough this movie mocks Pixar, actual Pixar is capable of creating far more grim and edgy storylines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOxJpGI8SWc

Why is Sony so bad at everything?
>>
>>93176383
Surely everyone is tired by now of the same fucking thread with the same fucking OP pic with the same fucking replies
>>
>>93176019
>>93175421

Question, Will the US EVER be able to produce an animated film that is closer to the horror that is Shoujo Tsubaki?

Yes, the film its a nightmare of hell, but the story behind it is FASCINATING.
>>
>>93175421
Bojack horseman did a better job doing that.
>>
>>93176627
you mean the screening of the movie only in circus tents?

also if the US attempted a similiar movie it would just be DUDE GURO LMAO so no
>>
>>93175421
They made hot dog bun characters with vagina mouths
what went right
>>
File: zeus.webm (3MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
zeus.webm
3MB, 720x405px
>>93175755
What about a live action movie that turns into an animated movie about 20 minutes in, then back to live action in the last ten minutes?
>>
>>93176019

My God...

It's glorious.
>>
>>93176019
>literally celebrating all sorts of fantasy and science fiction of the day
>even stuff from overseas

American nerd culture is so antagonistic towards one another that we'd never even have something like this at Comic-Con.
>>
>>93176690
Oddly enough, the manga which is based off was sold in the US legally, and the circus tent was just a stage for look, Hiroshi Harada (The Director and sole animator) intended to be released at independent theaters but the film was destroyed by Japanese airport Customs, NOT the government, it was already censored from 53 to 49 minutes since Harada ACTUALLY submitted the film to Eirin (Japan's film board) which requested 29 edits before it could be released more widely.

The film is not really banned around the world and not in Japan, but it's screenings were very sporadic, and it only survives trough a beta tape transfer done trough telecine, it was released in France on DVD by CineMalta.

LiveStrider got A LOT of shit wrong and he even calls Harada a Degenerate shut in! The guy suffers from severe ulcer which means he can't move constantly, and yet people think he is a creepy weirdo on restraining order or something, the guy is actually just a regular dude but with a desease, he even got bullied in his youth due to his condition.
>>
>>93176019
thanks for educating me on this, know any more cool retro anime facts, nerd?
>>
>>93175755
>Most people outside of the 15 - 27 age range are not going to watch it.

That is far too old for this movie. Try 11-14.
>>
>>93176627
>mfw looking this shit up at 3 am

Y A M E R O O O
>>
>>93176895
>>93176019
>>93176919
If Daicon was a testament of what can be done in animation, which lead to Gainax, then what Hiroshi Harada did to adapt Shoujo Tsubaki into a medium taking the risks that he took and takin into account the censorship he might expected, at the very least should be a telling of inspiration.

..........Juuuuuust as long if it's not a horror manga that has the worst and cruelest shit ever that might get people arrest if tried today........

Why did Mr Harada choose out of all things adapt a horrorific manga by Suehiro Maruo and adapt the horrible shit that happens there and even add more shit was anyone's guess....
>>
>>93176992
why are you so obsessed with that movie you fucking autist
>>
>>93176690
For Guro LOOl we have South Park, but the thing is only they can manage to do it, Family Guys Gore is not funny, it's actually gross, almost at the level of Shoujo Tsubaki................
>>
>>93177040
You see this, /co/? This is why western animation will never reach daicon tier.

You sold out to normies. You have people legitimately asking, in an offended and disgusting tone, why you like something weird and obscure and interesting.
>>
File: 1494112959862.jpg (61KB, 480x550px) Image search: [Google]
1494112959862.jpg
61KB, 480x550px
>>93177040
>>
>>93177040
Dude I hate that movie I am just looking into its production history which is somehow inspiring, although I wouldn't spend my life savings animating something myself, but the Falcon shorts we're done in a similar fashion weren't?

Also unlike Richard Williams, Harada DID Finisterre his project and released it as he wanted............... Tough at the expenses of giving people nightmares.
>>
File: 1497181170842.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1497181170842.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
>People didn't expect DUDE WEED LMAO in a Seth Rogan movie

I highly enjoyed it.
>>
File: 1496658546221.jpg (68KB, 750x553px) Image search: [Google]
1496658546221.jpg
68KB, 750x553px
>no actual animation jobs in america anymore, it all gets outsourced to canAda
>what does get done here is just really commercialized family movies for normies
>conventions are too big and normiefied for artists to really make a splash there anymore, and youtube killed indie animation online

>people still lie through their teeth saying western animation is fine
>>
File: siegmeyer-of-catarina.jpg (37KB, 300x555px) Image search: [Google]
siegmeyer-of-catarina.jpg
37KB, 300x555px
>>93177076
>you will never spend your life savings on basically an animated snuff film for carnies

What even happened to him afterwards?
>>
>>93176019

A million times this. I'm certain it will eventually happen. It's never been a better time in history to gather up a bunch of passionate people and animate something amazing. Hell, they can all live in different countries. The hardware and software costs very little if costs are split or crowdfunded.

It just takes the right leader to pull it all together. Unfortunately, the U.S. is fresh out of effective leaders in pretty much everything except the tech fields.

As for as Daicon, this wouldn't be the last time Anno (one of the guys working on it) would save animation. Anime was growing very stale back in the day until a little known anime called Neon Genesis appeared and once again kickstarted anime.
>>
>>93177054
Everyone fucking knows this movie that doesn't live under a rock
If you want to talk about some fucking ancient anime just go to /a/
>>
>>93175421

Why does have the pear have a bunch of eyes?
>>
File: 1491359535692.png (5KB, 183x144px) Image search: [Google]
1491359535692.png
5KB, 183x144px
>He thinks animation is going to get out of its ghetto
>when film in general is in a massive ghetto and is projected to crash outright in the next couple of years due to out of control outsourcing

Even the VFX industry is feeling the heat.
Theatre release movies might genuinely not exist anymore in our lifetimes.
>>
>>93177133
That's a potato fuckwad, It's supposed to be a potato joke.
>>
File: 1490935767646.jpg (25KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1490935767646.jpg
25KB, 720x960px
Go to s s sleep or I will eat your b b brains
>>
>>93175856
This is the problem in my opinion. It's still targeting a niche audience, people who like family guy, which isn't for everyone (especially current seasons of family guy).

If you can't think of an adult story without excessive swearing, sex jokes, etc, then you fail as a writer.
>>
>>93177064
but thats about 100 bucks
>>
File: 1493998594433.jpg (48KB, 438x597px) Image search: [Google]
1493998594433.jpg
48KB, 438x597px
You ever think the reason nobody takes western animation seriously is because western animators.... just aren't good enough?

Seriously, you go watch anime, and despite working for pennies the work effort and quality that comes out of the hundreds of shows the put out are a selling point in and of itself, compared th american animators who pump out mmmmaaaaybe five shows a year, overpriced, cutting maximum corners, making content that no one really cares for.
>>
>>93177185
Well yeah. How much do you really think you're worth?
>>
File: 1493002724377.gif (266KB, 250x189px) Image search: [Google]
1493002724377.gif
266KB, 250x189px
How come cartoons can't compete while videogames are in a golden age?
>>
>>93176019
>mobile suits from gundam
>ultraman and godzilla monsters
>duel with Darth Vader
>Xenomorph weilding the ship from 2001 and Dynaman's robot
>Blink and you miss it Yoda and C3PO cameo
>Bunny-girl flying on Stormbringer with a squad of ships from Ultraman over the original Wildness Survival hex-map from Dungeons and Dragons
>Battle with Macross, Arcadia, Yamato, and VF-1 Valkyries
>LotR, Conan, Pern, Narnia, Guin Saga
>Marvel and DC
>Klingon Battle Cruise, Martian Saucers, TIE Fighters, Thunderbird 3, Millenium Falcon
>70s/80s Japanese anime/toku pop culture icons, like Kamen Rider, Nazucaa, Mazinger, Kikaider, and Cutie Honey
>White Base and Gotengo crashing into each other
>Robbie the Robot and the robot from Silent Running
>Q-taro and Doraemon cosplaying a Zentradi and Char
>Sun Vulcan
>Huge crowd show with Machinemench, the Metaluna Mutant, Flash Gordon, Mutley, the Gunslinger, a Replicant, the GillMan, Zardoz, Snake Pliskin, Lum, The Invisible Man, and Bert and Ernie
FUCK
>>
>>93177040
Literally the most horrific and repulsive animated movie ever was animated by a single dude because he wanted to see it animated so badly.

It's an absurd amount of effort for something so outlandish, yet it'll always be hidden away because of its content instead of being heralded as one of the great passion projects.

As weird as it is, that level of madman levels of dedication are kind of what American animation needs to kick its ass into high gear with taking animation in more directions that the toy aisle at Wal-Mart.
>>
>>93177194
Anime only panders to shut in Otaku nowadays, also anime isn't mainstream at all

and of course the west can't compete with a country where people literally work themselves to death
>>
>>93177242
Sealed with a kiss was animated by only one dude aswell, no one is talking about that movie either
>>
>>93177257
Strangely that movie entirely does belong in the toy aisle of walmart.

I wish we had more Sita Sings the Blues.
>>
>>93177257
Shoujo Tsubaki was traditionally hand-animated, looks like it was done by a real studio from the time despite being made on a single person's life savings, and is quite literally banded from Japan and a ton of other countries.

Sealed with a Kiss was done in Flash and had a budget of $2mil.
>>
>>93175421
It never set out to prove it was for grown-ups.

The only people who thought were cartoonbrew and some retarded memesters on /co/.

It was just a dumb stoner crude comedy. That is all it wanted to be. Nothing more.
>>
>>93177242
THAT'S what I was talking about.

Look, Shoujo Tsubaki is horrible, but not horribly done or executed, it's based on a horror manga for fucks sake and apparently it is the tamest of the author's works, I actually read the manga, and believe, there's significally less Gore in its printed form, and, call me crazy but, it's somewhat, less scarring, aside from the animal cruelty and the abuse Midori has to suffer, I mean the manga was published in the US oddly enough around the same time the movie came out.

Also most of the scarse info on it that is on the web seems made up or mislead, like the whole forbidden around the world and the Japanese government destroyed it or that 20 minutes got deleted from it! (It was actually just 4), heck most stupid cartoon reviewing smuchs don't even know that this was adapted from a manga done by Suehiro Maruo who is the father of Horror and Gore in Manga, and they assumed that Harada just did all because he came up with it.
>>
Mary and max
>>
>>93176764

sauce on webm?
>>
File: the-congress.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the-congress.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>93177376
The Congress.
>>
File: 1493149421452.png (266KB, 413x463px) Image search: [Google]
1493149421452.png
266KB, 413x463px
>>93177212
>video games
>golden age
not after what i've seen so far with E3
>>
File: 1496430496133.jpg (11KB, 265x297px) Image search: [Google]
1496430496133.jpg
11KB, 265x297px
>>93177156

OH FUCK WHAT IS THAT
>>
>>93177396
Just a Gorilla Grodd
>>
>>93177200
fucking destroyed
>>
>>93177298
I mentioned already but Shoujo Tsubaki isn't truly banned, in the whole sense of the word.

Look, the film got made in the span of 5 years and released in 1992

After his initial screening in a red tent made for the movie, Harada submitted it to the Eirin Board and they requested 29 edits so the film when from 53 to 49 minutes.

It was screened privately from time to time up until 1999 when the original film print was shown outside of Japan, like for real.

When it arrived back at Japan, Japanese Customs from the airlines seized and destroyed the film print.

Harada had save only a Betamax of the film since and he learned that the negatives were destroyed by what it seemed more of a dick move, he got pissed off and refuse to let the movie being shown again afterwards.

But in 2006 he mellowed enough to allow an official DVD release on France and even made a documentary for it, it's even on YouTube (hard to watch due to being spliced with scenes from the Alpha Gory bits but what he says comes from his own mouth and it's rich).

Since, the film was shown on festival screenings at least twice in Japan as of 2013 I recall.
>>
>>93177108
I dunno, but apparently Harada had already a background of working at other studios, hence the scenes of actual motion look like it was done by an anime studio.
>>
All this things I said about Shoujo Tsubaki and I ask..

Where will ever by a true horror animated film?

NOT a spooky film that is light-hearted but with out of place spooky shit like or a comedy parody.

The closest we have is Frankenweenie, Monster House, Tim Burton Stopanimation, Coraline and Book of Life.

All restricted to still being Walmart hipster marketed let it go crowd.
>>
>>93175421
it was so ridiculous even teens would've thought it was stupid.

It was a premise that could've worked fairly well but they tried way too hard to be "hey look at this it's Mature and for adults, dude weed, boners douche lol" it was just cringey. Some of the scenes actually tap into some dark shit, like the douche's arc that to consume is to be a god, and he starts eating other products. There's also things like watching all the messed up stuff that happens to food as its "prepared".

But then they ruined it with literal food porn and edgy drug jokes.

The ending especially is just fucking ridiculous and super cringey. Fuck even South Park would be embarrassed to pull something like that.
>>
>>93177558
Coraline is a legit animated horror movie. At least for kids.

My little sister couldn't bear to watch it by herself when she was 8
>>
>>93175421
It did the exact opposite
>>
>>93175421
>Sausage Party set out to PROVE animation can be for grown-ups too

It didn't really do anything that wasn't already done by other adult cartoons, though.
>>
File: 4th_grade_mama.jpg (76KB, 361x450px) Image search: [Google]
4th_grade_mama.jpg
76KB, 361x450px
>>93177115
>Anime was growing very stale back in the day until a little known anime called Neon Genesis appeared and once again kickstarted anime.

That's a complete bullshit narrative. Plenty of damn good anime was made in the early '90s, its just that Eva kickstarted the popularity of anime series among mainstream adults and encouraged fare that appealed to that audience to become more common in late night slots. Eva is incredibly idiosyncratic in its own right anyway.
>>
>>93177917
This. It just made everyone see animation as a joke. And the fact that the animators were treated like shit probably sealed the deal.
>>
>>93177767
there was no dark shit in the movie you fucking pussy
>>
File: tmp_600-1473409550011810431065.jpg (102KB, 1072x394px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_600-1473409550011810431065.jpg
102KB, 1072x394px
>>93175421
Because it wasn't "adult" in the slightest. The only way animation can be taken seriously as a medium is if it tackles adult THEMES, not just cursing for an hour and a half. But the thing is, that is already a thing. There's simply no reason for SP to exist, other than to make a quick buck from gullible idiots that think it would actually make a difference.
>>
>>93177971
dear gosh that art style is awful
>>
>>93175421
It was childish and made for freaks.
>>
>>93177385
Let's wait and see what Nintendo has in store in about two and a half hours.
>>
>>93178497
I will end you
>>
>>93175421
>With the general perception that anime is for freaks and Western cartoons are for kids, Sausage Party set out to PROVE animation can be for grown-ups too. What went wrong?
That's not what it was doing.

It was simply marketing. To be the first 3D fully animated R rated adult cartoon comedy.
It was basically the same thing Fritz The Cat was going for. A mediocre flick that had it being mostly unheard of be its selling point.
>>
>>93176019
I love the use of Electric Light Orchestra
>>
>>93176356
They succeeded in what they set out to do, this board is the place convinced the fate of anything hung in the balance. They wanted a stupid adult comedy about food and made one that did well.

>>93176383
3rd thread I have seen of it this month and there were surely others. Those others tired people out and some people can get over a movie, besides being on netflix now people probably never see or hear of it again so less reason to needlessly bitch.
>>
>>93175755
>I feel like the best way to make adult animation would be to have a life action movie with a lot of animated segments strewn throughout

Kill Bill Vol. 1 did that. Well, sort of, it only really had one animated scene.
>>
>>93177115
it's hard enough just to scrape by in america even working full time. Working for hours on end for an animation and finding others with similar passion who can also afford it is basically impossible.
>>
>>93175421
It sux.
>>
I feel like if Laika's efforts couldn't garner more interest in animation as an art form then nothing can. I have lost hope.
>>
Its a shame that Ralph Bakshi was constantly fucked over and never had the budgets he needed.
>>
>>93175421
1. The movie plot reeks of a shitpost that would get upvoted on /r/atheism

2. Continues the perception that adult animation is only good for pop culture references and edgy "dude drugs lmao" jokes

3. Even for a Seth Rogen movie, it wasn't that good. Superbad and Pineapple Express are still funny to me. Even Zack & Miri Make A Porno was better than this trash.
>>
>>93175755

You know that the way is going to happen is that some furry artists is finally going to become mainstream and is going to make a grim-dark angst ridden talking animal thing. That's how comics did it
>>
>>93180364
Fuck you R. Crumb.
>>
>>93175421

Is this bait?
>>
Bakshi had the right idea.
>>
>>93180314
>>93180480
Bakshi was a hack.
>>
>>93180480
>>93180314
Why did Bakshi hate Don Bluth so much?
>>
>>93175421
dude religion is bad lmao
>>
>>93180271
Art and the masses are completely opposite. Maybe it's because I live in one of the most uncultured countries of the EU, but that's the way I've always see it.
>>
>>93177242
>Literally the most horrific and repulsive animated movie ever

Was it?
I mean I watched it but I don't remember it being that bad. I felt like I've seen worse.
>>
What is the deal with those anons with that shitty banned Jap movie?
>>
>>93175421
Well you see, it was terrible and they ripped off half the animators and refused to credit the ones who quit or complained.
>>
>>93181019
beats me, though it got already mentioned in the last thread

I have no fucking idea in what connection they bring it up
>>
I don't know, I enjoyed the movie.

Mostly because of my giantess fetish
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 290x160px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 290x160px
>>93175421
Bojack Horseman kinda beat it in everyway possible.
>>
>>93181304
but Bojack Horseman didn't have very graphic homosexual sex
>>
>>93176019
>that video
>that music
I'd be shedding tears if I had any to shed anon.
>>
>>93175421
You can't change public perception easily. Especially on something that people "know".

Look at conspiracy theories or the current state of politics. People spin facts to fit their position or disregard them entirely, no matter your political affiliation. On something that isn't concrete fact simply because its a cultural belief you basically need the next generation of kids to take your side since the current generation mostly keeps such views for life.
>>
>>93181085
See here.

>>93176627
>>93176690
>>93176919
>>93176992
>>93177076
>>93177242
>>93177298
>>93177352

Pretty much what you need to know.
>>
>>93176019
I have seen nirvana.
>>
>>93175421
It was very immature, nothing wrong with that, its just that you aren't going to change anybodys perceptions by making an immature film
>>
>>93175755
You're better off making a bunch of successful indie animation films that slowly change public perception
>>
>>93176627
Is it allowed if i post a link to the interview with HIroshi Harada?
>>
>>93181085
If it makes sense, there's the Thief and the Cobbler and the pain taht Richard Williams had to endure to see his project finished....................and it wasnt.
>>
>>93175421
adults don't buy movie merch for themselves.
Also, the studio ripped off a bunch of artists.
>>
>>93183350
This..................unless they are weirdos.
>>
>>93182703
it wasn't immature, it was raunchy fun
>>
>>93175421
>With the general perception that anime is for freaks and Western cartoons are for kids, Sausage Party set out to PROVE animation can be for freaks too.
fixed
>>
>>93175421
>With the general perception that anime is for freaks
Eh, not exactly. Freaks (mostly from the west) latch onto it. Generally, anime is made for anyone in Japan.
>>
>>93184794
Is there a western show about actual freaks?
>>
>>93185079
Freaks & Geeks
>>
File: monogatari.jpg (120KB, 1024x538px) Image search: [Google]
monogatari.jpg
120KB, 1024x538px
>>93184794
The problem with anime is how they usually present themselves aesthetically.

Like the character writing in pic related is unironically some of the best you will ever find in animation. But it degrades itself with its artstyle and perverted antics CONSTANTLY.

Like what the fuck, you know?
>>
>>93185132
The Ooblongs?
>>
>>93175421
Seth Rogan """"""""""""""""""""""""humor""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>93185179
Is the character writing really that good? I felt it came off a bit hamfisted pretty often. Not really much subtlety.

Also sexual toothbrush.
>>
>>93186109
dude what if food was a weed
>>
>>93186384
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudeee
>>
Asking ITT too because why not

There's this old cartoon from the 90's or early 2000's which had elements of horror/mystery.
I remember watching one of the episodes when I was like 7 or 8. The plot was that it was a very hot day and everyone is sweating and shit. Fortunately there suddenly appears like a cloud or something and it's starts to rain. Then there's like a weird thing with the rain making people sick and start to transform into some sort of mutants or something. Protagonists managed to cure people and happy ending and all that but the last shot of the episode is showing some old bum who didn't get the medicine transforming into some weird monster type thing - spooked the hell out of young me. Does anyone recognize the show/episode im describing? Would love to see again for nostalgia sake.

Thanks
>>
File: 1494689706864.jpg (59KB, 460x629px) Image search: [Google]
1494689706864.jpg
59KB, 460x629px
>>93175937
>Granted it's funny
>>
File: Pupa.jpg (59KB, 418x600px) Image search: [Google]
Pupa.jpg
59KB, 418x600px
>>93180798
Well there's always Pupa.
>>
File: images.jpg (16KB, 229x350px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
16KB, 229x350px
They should adapt this as an animated film. Fuck live-action and fuck family-friendly shit.
>>
>>93176764
Expected her to fuck the Bull.
>>
>>93188135
What's this?
>>
>>93175421
didn't it get some bad vibes from the animators who made the movie? I can't imagine them agreeing to ever make a sequel for this unless there's some serious improvement to their work schedule.
>>
>>93188555
Convince someone who enjoys it THAT MUCH to spend life savings for whatever it takes em to finish it and hope that when he releases it the film censors wouldn't force him to censor it and then had it be destroyed by customs at airport mail OWWW THAT's RIGHT, we have SJWs here in America now.

If the guy who made Midori got his film materials destroyed in japan in the 90s imagine what would happen if someone in america would dare to do something like that, the feminists and SJWs will labeled him as a child predator nazi satanist and teh old media would get drunk on that koolaid and essentially destroy his life because FUCK CREATIVITY ONLY FEELS!/
>>
>>93190516
Dude, NEVER gonna happen OK?
>>
>>93176019
I didn't know about this until Daicon IV happened in Blue Blazes and Honoo is losing his mind because his "rival", Anno, is so disgustingly talented (when really it's because Anno puts his head down and does the work)
Blue Blazes is a great little autobio comedy, the author really did go to school wth Gainax
>>
>>93175421
Cool World is a more adult version of Roget Rabbit. There's also Heavy Metal (1983), Fantastic Mr. Fox, Animatrix, Akira, Wizards, etc.
>>
Maybe if the stuff /co/ praises as art were actually good instead of just thematically simple and dull animation would be taken more seriously
>>
File: 230px-Now_And_Then_Here_And.jpg (19KB, 230x334px) Image search: [Google]
230px-Now_And_Then_Here_And.jpg
19KB, 230x334px
Has anyone on /co/ watched this edgy "adult" anime?
>>
>>93175421
Are retarded people actually adults?

Do they count?
>>
>>93188624

I don't think in the original myth Zeus fucked her as a bull, just carried her away. I think he may have fuck other women in other animal forms though. Zeus always seemed like a capricious horn-dog that did whatever he wanted because he could fuck up anyone he wanted.
>>
>>93191849
Akira is /a/.

Bashki is just rotoscope crap.
>>
>>93175421
You said this movie was gonna save adult animation /co/
Why did you lie to me?
>>
File: Anomalisa_poster.jpg (59KB, 260x385px) Image search: [Google]
Anomalisa_poster.jpg
59KB, 260x385px
It took until this movie for an R-rated film to be nominated for a Best Animated Feature Oscar. Before, that category was mostly mainstream kiddy crap.
>>
>>93193268

Wait, it was actually nominated for Best Animated Feature?
>>
Maybe its time to just accept that the average Normie is exactly the type of person that finds Sausage Party to be very funny.

The type of person who gets married and has lots of kids.
>>
>>93193388
because they watch a movie and then go live their life again, not spend the next year ripping apart the movie on a chinese image board
>>
>>93194538
They don't know what they're missing
>>
On the ground of making a legit horror animation that isn't child friendly.

Why hasn't been done?
>>
>>93175421
It just wasn't funny. It relied too much on the idea that cartoons are for kids and that a vulgar cartoon is shocking when South Park broke that mold in the 90s and hordes of imitators followed and continue to arise even to this day.

Also, Seth Rogen just isn't funny. He plays the role of someone who makes good points in a crass yet witty way, yet not once has he ever struck me as clever or has he balanced vulgar with eloquence well. It's like he's spent his whole career trying to recapture the magic of the "Dicks fuck pussies" speech from Team America yet never has.

But hey, he's a multi-millionaire and I'm posting outdated memes on a Vietnamese basket weaving forum, so I can't talk.
>>
>>93176019
I remember crying the first couple of times i saw it,and it inspired me to get into animation and ancient OVAs,im very glad /co/ liked it.
Thank you anon
>>
>>93177117
>>93176895
>>
Read Mai ChanĀ“s Daily Life,a lot of people see it as a meme or weird porn but i consider it to be an artistic masterpiece
>tips fedora
>>93190336
trash,this guy doesnt know shit
>>
>>93193268
Why arent foreign or animated movies allowed to win best movie?fuck oscars
>>
>>93175421
it was incredibly childish. shot itself in the foot there.
>>
>>93175421
American adult animation (more often than not) wants to be funny, so we get too many films like Sausage Party and not enough films like American Pop or Fire and Ice.
>>
>>93192382
>Jap title is basically "I, Who Am There Now"
>Translated as Now and Then, Here and There
>>
>>93177082
enjoy cyanide, you fucking reprobate
>>
It proved Western "adult" animation was for middle schoolers.
>>
>>93197217
>>93196882
The problem is that comedians are the only people writing animated movie scripts because it lets them experiment with concepts you can't do live action, and when serious animated movie scripts get written they get sidelined as so far only comedy animated flicks have been shown to make any money.
>>
>>93175755
>loved smoking pot with it
>you literally need to be stoned to like it
Really makes me think.
>>
>>93175421
I liked that movie. Can't wait to see something similar to this.
>>
>>93175421
Well it just wasn't very good.
>>
>>93176764
>>93177381
Congress was a clusterfuck and I don't understand what happened past the hotel thing in the desert.
It felt like there was a time-skip I missed.
>>
>>93175421
nime is shit tho
>>
>>93175421
>lets make edgy sex jokes for the stoner generation, that'll be a timeless classic!
>>
>>93197217
We did get shit like Anomalisa and the Congress

yet no one watched them, maybe because they were nothing but pretentious shit and people rather watch something funny??
>>
>>93175421
It was basically a 2 hour family guy cutaway
>>
>>93200350
Sigh why can't brainlets stay away from animation?
>>
>>93199328
There was a time skip. They put Robin into suspended animation for years because medical technology couldn't help her at the time. While she was asleep, a whole bunch of shit went down into reforming society. I haven't watched it in a while, but I think this plot point was supposed to be clear.
>>
>>93199724
>lets pretend the movie tried and failed at being something it wasn't even trying to do.
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.