[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I seen a peanut stand, heard a rubber band. I seen a needle that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

File: jim-crow_225.jpg (34KB, 225x242px) Image search: [Google]
jim-crow_225.jpg
34KB, 225x242px
I seen a peanut stand, heard a rubber band.
I seen a needle that winked its eye.
Bu I be done seen about everything when I see an elephant fly!
>>
Niggers
>>
>>93164909
So if I understand correctly, the supposed racism of this character is all in the vague allusion to another character that was a stereotype. Even though he himself is in no way a harmful stereotype.
>>
>>93165848
He's black and named Jim Crow, that's it. Nowadays that's a great big no-no.
>>
>>93166209
>he's black
he's not, his feathers are
it's just as retarded as saying the apes from Sing were black

so the crows were stereotypes but they also were really nice so I don't give a shit about your boo hoo racism
>>
>>93164909
I wish they were my parents.
>>
>>93165848
>>93166209
>>93166306
He was a crow (with black feathers) named after a series of laws designed to oppress black people, and he behaved like a stereotype of black people. Yes, it's racist, but so was pretty much everyone back then.
>>
are the vultures from "the jungle book" racist to british people?
>>
>>93166385
Nah, they just made The Beatles really angry.
>>
>>93166428
really? they should have felt honored
>>
>>93166367
He wasn't named after the laws, though. He was named after the character, which the laws were also named after.
>>
>>93164909
Jazz musician are racist
>>
>>93165848
The racism came from how they acted like stereotypical depictions of blacks back in the day (layabouts, manner of dress, and apparently not very intelligent).

Still, they weren't the worst stereotype given they help Dumbo in the end, and aren't in any way antagonistic to him or towards the people they're imitating.

Still funny how people also thought Louie from Jungle Book was a racist jab despite in no way acting black and being played by a fucking white dude.
>>
On one hand I can see how the crows were racist.

On the other hand, aside from the mouse and his mom they were like the only other good guys in the film who were actually nice to Dumbo.
>>
>>93169126
Thank god nobody in Disney decided to be "PC" and reissue the film with the crows all made into diverse colors.
>>
>>93169126
That's how I feel about most questionably racist depictions... Apu from the Simpsons is voiced by a white guy, but at least the character is intelligent and helpful. I get that it's still questionable from an ethical perspective but at the VERY least he's not a negative depiction.
>>
>>93169227
Because PC/Anti-racist can be just as stupid, if not more so, than the racist people they're "fighting" against.

Hell, apparently a bunch of people thought the gorillas in Sing were a racist slam on black people.
Despite none of them being played by black actors.
Or acting in any way that resembled black behavior.
And the fact that monkeys =/= blacks all the time.
>>
>>93169126
Racist only exists in negative connotations.
Stereotypes and caricatures are only racist if hateful in tent.
>>
>>93164909
Ah classic Disney Racism.

Not exactly tasteful, but charming in that Down South, Racism stewed to a fine wine kind of way.
>>
>>93169451
Did not know being a tent made one hateful.
>>
>>93169451
I wish more people understood this. Plenty of animated characters are simple stereotypes, but that's often because the movies are for KIDS who are not going to pick up subtlety.
>>
>>93169227
But Apu has an actual indian accent...
I never got why accents are "racist". Everyone who isnt english has one.
>>
>>93169600
Because apparently it's racist to put on an accent if you aren't colored or of the race you're using an accent of.
>>
>>93169600
>I never got why accents are "racist". Everyone who isnt english has one.
Everyone who is (or speaks) English also has one, regardless of race. And they've been the subject of comedy since forever.
>>
>>93169077
The unintelligent claim makes no sense to me. Uneducated, sure. They're 1940s working class. But unintelligent? Their whole song is about clever wordplay, which they engage in for no other reason than they think it's fun.
>>
>>93164909
The problem is that we've gotten to the point where if something is racist then it has no redeeming value and must be taken away.

The idea that a piece of art can be racist and still good is hard for people to process now.

So yes, the crows are based on stereotypes that are somewhat racist. They're still some of the best characters in the movie and better "representation" than a lot of characters conceived as anti-racist.

Sort of like Fagin is a racist depiction of Jews but he's such a great character that a Jewish author and star made him into a successful musical.
>>
>>93169077
>The racism came from how they acted like stereotypical depictions of blacks back in the day (layabouts, manner of dress, and apparently not very intelligent).

nothing has changed. they get welfare now but thats about it
>>
>>93169718
Well I said "not very intelligent", which means they just aren't very learned. Unintelligent would mean they were borderline retarded or animalistic or something like that.

>>93169849
Shut up, /pol/ack.
>>
>>93169718
This.
>>
>>93164909
Hindsight is 20/20.
>>
>>93164909
This song was great. That wordplay was top notch.
>>
I want to fuck a crow and get a crowjob from him.
>>
File: 1487531437360.png (91KB, 476x356px) Image search: [Google]
1487531437360.png
91KB, 476x356px
>>93173007
>a crowjob
Fuck, I laughed
>>
>>93169161
You just reminded me about War of the Wendigo by Rosa. The story prominently featured the Peeweegah Pygmy Indians from the previous Barks story but it's North American publishing got held up for almost a decade because Disney wanted the Peeweegahs to be colored blue or some shit so they wouldn't LOOK like Indians. Ultimately it wasn't until years after Gladstone took over publishing again and cancellation was imminent that they said fuck and published the story Smurf-free in the last issue of WDC&S they published.
>>
>>93164909
what are those feet covers called again?
>>
>>93166385
>>93166428
>>93166443
The Vultures were going to be played by The Beatles, but Lennon politely declined, saying that they should get Elvis Presley instead.

>>93169077
>Still funny how people also thought Louie from Jungle Book was a racist jab despite in no way acting black and being played by a fucking white dude.
Producers were going to have Louis Armstrong voice Louie before realizing how much of a PR nightmare that would be.
>>
>>93166306
>She's not blond, her hair is
>>
>>93173588
>Producers were going to have Louis Armstrong voice Louie before realizing how much of a PR nightmare that would be.
Then why did people still complain? Even if Armstrong had been picked, nothing about Louie insinuated that he was a black caricature wanting to be a white man. Hell, fucking Mowgli isn't white, and Louie means him as the "you" in his song; a mancub.
>>
>>93164909
I'm honestly just thankful Disney even released this on dvd/blu-ray. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to do a Song of the South and just pretend it never existed.
>>
>>93174952
Well as people have pointed out, the crows weren't offensive at all despite being played by blacks and speaking like the stereotypical black men of that time. They helped Dumbo with his flying, were incredibly nice to him, and didn't do anything necessarily racist. And that's saying a lot considering how the black people in Song of the South were portrayed.
>>
>>93175364
As has also been pointed out he's called Jim Crow.

>the crows weren't offensive at all despite being played by blacks and speaking like the stereotypical black men of that time.
I agree. I personally don't find them offensive and I would describe myself as of the left and even if someone did the argument can/should just be made that it was made a long ass time ago. But Disney have been SUPER touchy about stuff like this in the last few years so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to sweep it under the rug.
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
10KB, 480x360px
SIEG HEIL, BOY!
>>
>>93175788
>As has also been pointed out he's called Jim Crow.
Only during production. He was never once called Jim Crow in the movie itself.

I have to wonder why the crows are considered inappropriate but things like Mabel's Asian friend is not. "Because she's voiced by an actual Korean woman", but everyone except the main crowd is voiced by an actual black chorus group.
>>
>>93176096
There's a lot of shit today that could be considered offensive. Hell, the kids in KND all don't have their eyes shown, right? And the one of them is Asian, with her eyes super squinted. That's pretty racist as far as most people are concerned. Doesn't help she also speaks with a thick accent (forgot if it was Japanese or Chinese), but yet she doesn't really do anything that's awfully stereotypical.
>>
>>93176314
Bubbie the Whale could be considered a sassy black woman stereotype.
Chloe from We Bare Bears could be considered white washing.
Xiaolin Showdown kids are stereotypes.
The Witch from Looney Tunes Show could be considered a black stereotype.

People can twist anything now-a-days into anything, but the crows seem to be universally accepted while many others are debated. I don't know what is that one key difference other than, "The time it was made in". Like, What Makes the Red Man Red is considered offensive but Omi being straight up yellow is acceptable. It's strange.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2014-03-14-12h46m08s127.png (375KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2014-03-14-12h46m08s127.png
375KB, 1024x576px
>>93164909
We are Siamese if you please
>>
File: yULSFnr.jpg (69KB, 1024x767px) Image search: [Google]
yULSFnr.jpg
69KB, 1024x767px
>>93173007
just visit a crowbar then
>>
>>93176388
I think with Xiaolin Showdown, people passed it like a stylistic thing. Omi might look offensive, but more or less acts like a goofball (hell, he's pretty much Goku without the borderline mountain hick retardedness). But then they went and add that new kid literally called Ping Pong, like holy shit.
>>
>>93167150
There's a character named Jim Crow (other then the op)?
>>
>>93173563
spats
>>
>>93176900
bless you, senpai
>>
File: christy hui.jpg (47KB, 240x262px) Image search: [Google]
christy hui.jpg
47KB, 240x262px
>>93176588
>>93176388
people couldn't be pissed at Omi being a racial stereotype type because the creator was herself Chinese. PingPong wasn't offensive because of his name or appearance, he was offensive because he was a piece of shit
>>
>>93166306

I bet if it was a white stereotype you would cry
>>
>>93173625
by that logic i'm black because i have black hair
>>
>>93166367
But he's a cool character.
>>
>>93173007
Bet he gives good footjobs 2bh, just look at those things. Unf.
>>
>>93176942
there's no such thing
>>
Kek
>>
>>93175364
>considering how the black people in Song of the South were portrayed.
I've never seen it, but how was that? Was it Tintin in the Congo levels? Worse?
>>
>>93178337
Can't fault you there. He certainly does.
>>
>>93164909
Fun fact: the Latin American dub had him using an Andalusian accent because he was dubbed by an Spanish exile. The latter also dubbed Mr. Jinks.
>>
>>93166209
>>93166306
>>93166367
Sure it's racial, but I don't think this character is racist, just stereotypical and has a racy joke name. He's a nice friend and isn't portrayed negatively.
>>
File: american female.jpg (85KB, 599x336px) Image search: [Google]
american female.jpg
85KB, 599x336px
>>93178596
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.