[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This movie was TRIGGER WARNING after TRIGGER WARNING. I was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: gts-04507r4c.jpg (77KB, 446x299px) Image search: [Google]
gts-04507r4c.jpg
77KB, 446x299px
This movie was TRIGGER WARNING after TRIGGER WARNING.

I was at a party where people were watching the western GITS movie (no one else there had even watched the animu for reference) and the only thing I can think of is how whenever Western movies try to adapt source material they always have to add some kind of "flavor" to it in order to make it unique.

Why does this happen every time? I always think of anime adaptations for manga, video games, etc. and they're always about 85% true to the source.

Is it that Westerners feel like they have to make it "their own", or because the market for faithful adaptations is perceived as smaller in the US.
>>
>>93136649
>Is it that Westerners feel like they have to make it "their own", or because the market for faithful adaptations is perceived as smaller in the US.

Wrong board for this, but it's because hollywood execs are fucking retarded. They think because they lucked into money and belong to an elite that they know better, so even if a movie has something good going for it, they will fuck it up or inject their shitty fucking ideas into it.

It's true for marvel movies too, but Disney at least doesn't touch Gunn because of his work with the gaurdians.
>>
>>93136649
>Is it that Westerners feel like they have to make it "their own"
There's always if it is exactly the same as the original then why even have the adaptation if you can get the exact same as the original.
>>
>>93136668
I guess it IS the wrong board, but like you said the underlying idea of altering source material beyond recognition isn't exclusive to animu and mango.

>>93136687
I get that, but then why are relatively faithful anime adaptations often popular. Dragonball and Jojo are what comes to mind immediately for me. Especially the newest version for the latter because at this point every weeb out there has some knowledge of what happens in Jojo. I can understand slight differences, but complete alterations? The GITS movie was like remaking Star Wars starring Lucky Starkiller and the Resistance against Dark Xanadu of the Universal Federation.
>>
>>93136649
>unironicaly using the word trigger warning
What compels you to indulge in such idoicy?
>>
>>93136717
>The GITS movie was like remaking Star Wars starring Lucky Starkiller and the Resistance against Dark Xanadu of the Universal Federation.
Your full of fucking shit, it wasn't even remotely that different. And it never fucking set out to be a remake of the original 95 film, it was meant to be a amalgamation of elements from across the franchise with a new story.
>>
>>93136649
You do know this is an adaptation that combines multiple sources of the material right? It was never made to be a direct adaptation of the Manga, which by the way, the anime movie failed to adapt properly itself.
>>
>>93136726
>idoicy
ah. you were *this* close.
>>
>>93136745
>the anime movie failed to adapt properly itself.
Except it improved on the manga in every way, the manga was a cancerous campy prototype, the 95 film is a fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>93136649
I prefer it that way desu. Entirely faithful (like "panel for panel") adaptations are pretty much always inferior to the original anyway so what's the fucking point.
>>
>>93136770
what's the fucking point of doing an adaptation if it's nothing like the source material
>>
>>93136784
It's plenty like the source material it just does new and experiential things with the characters & world instead of rehashing the same shit.
>>
Jews have no respect, and no appreciation of art. At the least Hollywood Jew Club.
And because its like that, they are willing to buy scripts and stuff, to "American remake", even if its just "Jewish Hollywood Remake" over the normal Californian set locations.

Last good and flawed Western adaption I have watched is Edge of Tomorrow, which is partially possible because the Original material is a special kind of mess.
Same movie without power armor, where parts of the premises is mass produced cheap power armor.
>>
File: 1413592601281.gif (580KB, 400x166px) Image search: [Google]
1413592601281.gif
580KB, 400x166px
>>93136649
Why make a movie out of a movie in the first place?
I hate this notion that Hollywood live-action movies are the be-all-end-all of entertainment and any franchise needs one in order to validate itself as a worthwhile and serious franchise.
Fuck live action movies. If I have a good animated movie or series, I don't need a worse version cut for time and catered to the lowest common denominator to make me feel good about liking the property.
>>
>>93136756
I didn't say it wasn't good. I said it was a poor adaptation, which it was.
>>
>>93136838
No a poor adaption misses the point and main story of the source material, the 95 film got that perfectly right the only thing it removed was the out of place humor and silly expressions.
>>
File: SinCity-01-001.jpg (336KB, 1280x1926px) Image search: [Google]
SinCity-01-001.jpg
336KB, 1280x1926px
>>93136770
>Entirely faithful (like "panel for panel") adaptations are pretty much always inferior to the original anyway
That barely ever happens. The only thing I can remember that was adapted panel to panel was this and the movie and the comic were exactly the same in terms of quality and everything else.
>>
>>93136649
In our local dub Major had the voice of Twilight Sparkle so it helped me to somehow enjoy it.
>>
>>93136668
>They think because they lucked into money and belong to an elite that they know better, so even if a movie has something good going for it, they will fuck it up or inject their shitty fucking ideas into it.

This, but it's not just the execs, it's everybody on down the line.

Like all these famous and beloved stories were out there making millions on their own, but no, they were really waiting for Hollywood Hollywooderson to come along and "fix" all the mistakes the original authors made.

These people are not creative, but they are the top people in a creative industry, so fucking up other people's creativity is the closest thing to being creative for them.

It's so, so, so, so sad. The worst part is, they genuinely believe themselves to be geniuses.
>>
>>93136851
>everything should be serious

mmmm... I heard that one before in some cape movies but I dont remember in which ones.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.