[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think it would be better for televised animation if the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Do you think it would be better for televised animation if the industry let up on advertising restrictions, and let cartoons be sponsored by companies in the same way anime is?

I mean even despite being funded by large corporations, the advertising generally isn't in your face.
For most anime it's merely the OP & ED songs, and a few words of thanks to the sponsors before the show begins.
>>
Truth be told, yes. But then it would be just like the 80s and early 90s again, just 22 minute toy commercials.

That said, children don't really play with toys anymore. You see 3 year olds infatuated with tablets these days.
>>
>>93126885
It's funny you mention that since my OP pic is the greatest toy commercial ever made.

Also with a sponsor like coca-cola, they could just have a signboard appear in the background of the cartoon or have some characters drinking it.
It doesn't have to be strictly toy companies.
>>
>>93126827
We already have too many commercials in our face, sometimes they even shorten a shows airtime to shove another commercial in there.

Procter & Gamble, Lexus, Hasbro and other companies can fuck off with the advertising, it's already too in your face. It doesn't need to be worse.

Plus, media conglomerates like TimeWarner and Viacom are already working with advertisers to find different ways their products be shown, they even have business arms that's soul purpose is to help facilitate marketing.
>>
>>93126955
Yeah, Coke is gonna want that mess.

"Soda company invests in children's cartoon! An attempt to rekindle childhood obesitys long epidemic!?"

The fact is, there's very few companies that would want to do kid shows apart from very young, pre-school children. Cereal companies, educational toys, or even ads aimed at caretakers watching with kids like going back to school or scholarships or insurance for grandpa.

Hasbro tried to do this with their own channel. They pay for the cartoons that sell their toys. Now they're Discovery, so that should show you how successful that was.
>>
>>93126987
Well if the cartoons themselves were sponsored, wouldn't it be easier on the broadcaster?
possibly allowing them to ease up on the commercial breaks?

I can't lie though. Commercials are the sole reason why I stopped watching tv.
>>
>>93127065
How many people even knew their channel existed? Was it popular despite its failure?
Serious question as I don't know.

also I was just providing an example outside of the toy business.
The reason why anime has opening and ending songs done by professional singers is because they are literally advertising the music.
>>
File: Fucking Ribbons!.jpg (398KB, 796x908px) Image search: [Google]
Fucking Ribbons!.jpg
398KB, 796x908px
>>93126827
Bandai is a special case because Gunpla is cheap to manufacture and makes them a fuckton of money.
It's the reason why they don't give a fuck if the BD/DVD sales are abysmal.
>>
>>93127067
No, it really seems you need to learn on the fundamentals of television and advertising before you continue this train of thought. There's a reason why it doesn't occur these days. Rule of thumb is this: if there was a way to do it that was A) Legal, and B) Viable way to make the company money, they would do it. If both of these conditions aren't met, then it won't happen.

"Easier on the broadcaster" what does that even mean? Like they're burdened from having to show commercials? That if they could avoid it, they wouldn't do so? That's not how TV works.

TV company makes show, targeted at demos. Show gets ratings, and demos are noted and tallied. TV company uses those ratings to determine advertising rates. Advertiser goes "Okay, this show gets 1.2 million viewers consistantly in the 18-49 bracket. That's a hot demo, and that's who we want to sell to" and they negotiate a deal. TV company gets money for showing that ad. If they don't show the ad, the TV company doesn't get money and the company paying for the ad doesn't see a return on investment.

Advertisements pay for TV.
>>
>>93127067
The cartoons are already sponsored by the ads, that's why they air during commercial breaks. Some shows even tell people who their sponsored by after the show segment ends.

>>93127139
>Was it popular despite its failure?
Yeah, the Hub, as it was called, was fairly popular and had great shows. The problem was other toy companies didn't want to be advertised on another toy brand's channel and ad dollars dried up.

>As it was majority-owned by a competitor, other major toy companies such as Mattel refused to purchase advertising time on Hub Network, affecting its ability to air advertising that targeted its main audience; by 2014, the network had made only $9 million per year.
>>
>>93127312
>>93127307
Thanks for the information. Seems I was genuinely uninformed.
>>
>>93127350
That's fine. Television is a fascinating subject that if you actually want to learn how your favorite shows get made and why certain stupid fucking decisions are made, it helps to know the climate and culture of said medium.

So you know, there used to be a time when toy companies sponsored practically every cartoon. The cartoon existed SOLELY to promote the toy. Stuff like Wheeled Warriors, He-Man and She-Ra, Transformers, Lonestar, Galaxy Rangers, Cowboys of Moo-Mesa, and so on. These cartoons were general of low-fare, featuring very predictable storylines and offering little in the way of actual substance and entertainment, but kids are stupid and don't know a goddamn thing anyway. They just want to be amused by something bright and colorful afterschool.

That all ended with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Television_Act.

Basically dictating "your cartoon aimed at children has to at least teach them SOMETHING". Thus, the saturday morning animation block died, because no advertiser wants to make a cartoon that teaches to kids. They want kids to spend their parents money.

I don't believe FCC regulates cable, so that's why the only place you see non-educational/entertainment cartoons is on Nick and CN. In those cases, cartoons are treated no differently than any other show, except their demo skews younger. Or should skew younger.

Buncha manbabies watching Steven Universe fucks all those numbers up.
>>
>>93127547
>don't believe FCC regulates cable, so that's why the only place you see non-educational/entertainment cartoons is on Nick and CN.

The FCC does regulate cable.

>Buncha manbabies watching Steven Universe fucks all those numbers up.
Not really, they'd only be known as a periphery demographic and aren't considered that important.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.