[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An I supposed to like him because I am black? Why is he in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_9551.jpg (327KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9551.jpg
327KB, 1920x1080px
An I supposed to like him because I am black?

Why is he in the Justice League? If they want a tech person they have more interesting options. Cyborg is boring.
>>
You're supposed to like him because he was in the Teen Titans show and said BOOYAH and LETS HIT THOSE SHOWERS
>>
>>93094387
>LETS HIT THOSE SHOWERS
He never said that.
>>
No you're supposed to like him because you watched the Teen Titans cartoon growing up
>>
>>93094370
I just want static to be realized as the DC Spider-Man and pushed
>>
>>93094387
He was the least interesting guy on Teen Titans too
>>
>>93094471
But he was the most interesting Cyborg has ever been besides Teen Titans GO.
>>
>>93094459
I like Static as a character FAR more than Spider-Man
>>
>>93094387
You know what, if Cyborg does
Not say BOOYAH in the movie, I will be dissapointed
>>
He's in the Justice League because Geoff Johns loves Hal Jordan

That's it

That's literally it
>>
>>93094459
Are the rumors about use of Milestone characters costing DC extra money true?
>>
>>93094370
Wasn't Mr Terrific the tech guy for the Justice League and fucking Power Girl originally?
>>
My Ideal JL lineup

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash (barry allen), John Stewart, Martian Manhunter, Ray Palmer, Zatanna, and Mera
>>
>>93094592
Yes
>>
>>93094592
Why is Cyborg a tech guy anyway? I don't know too much about his history, but I thought he was originally meant to be a jock.
>>
>>93094507
This, otherwise they would have used John Stewart aka boring token negro lantern.
>>
OK, look. They're not expecting people like you or anyone else on /co/ to like him, they're not doing it to be an icon for black kids to relate to. It's nothing as naively philanthropic as that.

In Hollywood, it's an incredibly firmly held belief that black people won't see a movie unless there's a black person in it as a supporting role. It's why Samuel L. Jackson was in Star Wars, it's why they pushed Storm in X-Men, it's why they put SLJ in Avengers, it's why EVERY Marvel movie has a black sidekick. Same with Asian people.

So when you go to the studio heads and say "can we do a Justice League movie?" they say "OK, but where's the black guy? You need a black guy or black people won't see it" and they picked Cyborg because he's literally the most well-known black DC character in terms of toy sales.

>>93094507
No. The only people that think GL is black are a very thin generation of people currently 18-24 years old. To everyone else older than that he's white from Superfriends, or to those younger he's white from the various other shows and movies that have come out since.

Again, look at the merchandise sales, and Hal has sold 100 times what John Stewart has.

Besides, Hal Jordan isn't even in the movie either way.

>>93094526
Not exactly. The rights to the characters are owned by Milestone, and even though they're a subsidiary of DC, they're independent, so WB would never in a trillion years put characters not 100% owned by themselves in their big budget movie.
>>
>>93094594
JSA: Captain Marvel, Steel, Mr. Terrific, Vixen, Hawkgirl, Green Arrow, Captain Atom, Constantine, Red Tornado, Batwoman
>>
>>93094647
>JSA
>only three JSA characters
>>
>>93094624
He was a chad whose dad is a supergenius scientist who saved his life by bonding him with cyborg parts and a motherbox

He isnt a supergenius on his own like Lex he just has a supercomputer in his head
>>
>>93094370
b-but anon, don't you remember BOOYAH?
>>
Like clockwork. Every single time.
>>
>>93094632
>In Hollywood, it's an incredibly firmly held belief that black people won't see a movie unless there's a black person in it as a supporting role.

Is this true? I don't give a fuck. In fact if it is blatant pndering I am less likely to see it.

I am a mullato though
>>
>>93094370
Look up the definition of token black character and you'll find a picture of him.
>>
>>93094677
This is my lineup I would want not the actual JSA which I largely dont care for
>>
>>93094471
No that was Robin.
>>
Black Vulcan is better...in my pants.
>>
>>93094715
Do you get any flak for being mixed?
>>
Black Lightning needs to be back in the spotlight

Is Static on the Teen Titans yet?
>>
File: tumblr_nabkaflWet1tz0qlxo2_500.gif (152KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nabkaflWet1tz0qlxo2_500.gif
152KB, 500x282px
LETS HIT THOSE SHOWERS!
>>
File: officialrm.jpg (45KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
officialrm.jpg
45KB, 400x400px
>>93094632
i'm pretty sure storm was in x-men because she's like top 3 most popular x-men characters (or at least was at the time of the movie, harry belly's terrible portrayal may have changed that fact a great degree)
>>
>>93094800
Only from black people

White people just assume I identify as solely black and do stereotypical black person things. In fact the only annoying thing is that they treat me like a mensa member just because I am moderately articulate and well-spoken, which says more about them than me.
>>
>>93094765
Robin went through several layers of development in terms of his obsession with fighting crime, not to mention his relationship with Starfire.

Cyborg basically had the same issue rehashed over and over again: man vs. machine. And not very convincingly at that, though it was still better than what most cartoon characters get.
>>
File: CaaGZ9aUMAAGHk0.jpg (149KB, 600x733px) Image search: [Google]
CaaGZ9aUMAAGHk0.jpg
149KB, 600x733px
>>93094440
>>
File: nemesis_millar.jpg (51KB, 565x728px) Image search: [Google]
nemesis_millar.jpg
51KB, 565x728px
>>93094803
How about a black hero with super-skill based powers like Hawkeye/Green Arrow?
Not
1. Electricity in my Pants
2. I'm a supergenius, so against type!
3. Enhanced physical attributes (fast, strong, ect because you know)
4. Legacy placeholder for the white hero that couldn't make it.
>>
>>93094881
Really wants to hit those showers.
>>
>>93094881
>me to pal
>>
>>93094855
Boy am I glad I came into the world completely Latino. Don't think I could ever stand the amount of shit I'd get for my parents deciding to spice up our somewhat incestuous gene pool.
>>
>>93094832
Nope, nope, actually I'm pretty sure they just made up Storm to have a black person in the movie and later added her to the comics for synergy.
>>
So /co/, who's the next black tech genius to be pushed? It's a DC tradition after all
>>
>>93094881
But where is this comic from? It doesn't seem official.
>>
File: steel_shaq_b.jpg (83KB, 419x586px) Image search: [Google]
steel_shaq_b.jpg
83KB, 419x586px
>>93094370
Because Steel didn't perform well enough 20 years ago.
>>
>>93094370
Stop being an uncle tom.
>>
>>93095386

they couldn't have a Superman inspired character existing before Superman was an active hero.
>>
>>93094832
Arguably getting Halle Berry, casting a popular actress over a skilled one, was part of the "push" they were talking about.
>>
File: Shaqsteel Oneil.jpg (81KB, 655x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Shaqsteel Oneil.jpg
81KB, 655x1000px
>>93095524
If Cyborg can get a Motherbox, Steel can have his armor and just slap an S on it later.
>>
I mean if Cyborg is going to keep being the emotionless, stoic, Bat-tech support of the team then they might as well used John as GL and called it a day: two birds with one stone.
>>
>>93094370
you just don't like him because he's half robot
>>
He's in the JLA because DC needed to integrate the JLA for licensing purposes and none of their editorial staff was bright enough to create an actual original black hero.

If they were smart, they'd induct Vixen so they could cover their licensing ass with both a black and a female. But since when has DC editorial been smart?
>>
>>93095590
This. John can be the JLA's Lantern while Hal, Kyle and Guy patrol the rest of the universe.
>>
>>93094632
>Storm in X-Men

She was a character in x men for 30 years though
>>
>>93094471
Cyborg was my favorite Titan back when I was in middle school desu.
>>
>>93094370
>An I supposed to like him because I am black?

This isn't Marvel so no.
>>
>>93094855
A self hating black. Nothing better
>>
>>93094632
>In Hollywood, it's an incredibly firmly held belief that black people won't see a movie unless there's a black person in it as a supporting role.
I would think the opposite is what they'd believe; that white people won't see a movie unless it has white MCs. Blacks have had to deal with that trend long enough that they'd have adapted to tolerate it. Tossing in black people seems like it would only turn off the white demographics
>>
>>93094632
>The only people that think GL is black are a very thin generation of people currently 18-24 years old
>So the largest consumer population?
>>
>>93095331
>It doesn't seem official
What gave it away?
>>
>>93095939
how is that self hating?

if anything it was critizising white people
>>
File: NanomachinesCyborg.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
NanomachinesCyborg.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
I'm black. I like cyborg as a concept. bitter transhuman is rife for interesting material, and the blackness is just icing. Honestly I think he's got the most potential out of their tech guys roster, but no one has written anything particularly good for him yet. Him on the league strikes me as...wrong, but eh, change happens. God knows this stagnant medium needs all it can get. I just want a good goddamn story.

Also they need to bring back this design. It was perfect.
>>
>>93096409
If you're not an ooga booga bix nood you're clearly self hating. You have to embrace your cultural heritage as a violent rapist to REALLY be black
>>
>>93096510
Nanomachines boi!
>>
>>93094920
Make Sportsmaster black
>>
The only thing wrong with Cyborg being on the JL was how the comics handled it. In the New 52 he should have been with the Titans and got promoted to JL instead of making him a founding member from the start.
>>
>>93096975
Neither existed long enough or had enough interaction for that to make much sense
>>
>>93096510
Same. I want someone to write these black characters right, but that'd require someone that's not pushing some faggy agenda, or an actual black person. So basically, he's fucked. It is what it is.
>>
>Its another let's complain about a Black character getting any sort of spotlight and existing thread

Oh joy.
>>
>>93097171
No he is boring

I also think superman is boring

But Superman at least makes sense in the League

There are plenty of more interesting black characters
>>
File: 1476811050511.jpg (19KB, 245x229px) Image search: [Google]
1476811050511.jpg
19KB, 245x229px
>>93094370
>It's my civic duty to call out anon on his very obvious racism
>But he's black
WHAT DO
>>
>>93094370
You make this same fucking thread every fucking week and I agree with you everytime
>>
>>93094370
I'd like him if his actual character was interesting and likable. He's just your regular chip off the old block and the JL's token black teammate.
>>
Noone has mentioned that he has and can do crazy things with a morherbox?
>>
>>93097545
He's the team teleporter. That's his most embarrassing aspect
>>
>>93094490
Because he isn't a mopey faggot who has to be constantly guilt-tripped into being a hero? Because he actually had the chance to grow and mature and get a definitive ending rather than have editorial constantly revert him to back to the status quo? Because he's Black?

Either way Static is the only time anybody has tried to recreate the lightning in the bottle that was the Spidey formula where it has worked.
>>
>>93098053
Why don't more writers use the Spidey formula? Shit's simple and works well.
>>
>>93098113
They try. And whenever they make something that doesn't sell a thousand copies they get angry and just go back to pushing Spider-Man. Marvel tries it once every decade (Speedball, Nova, Darkhawk, Alpha) and it never takes, the only time it did work was Ultimate Spider-Man, surprise surprise. Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle came close to pulling it off again but they forgot about him after the Nu52 and Brave and the Bold cartoon wasn't around to keep pushing him. Static's had the best success of the lot of them and he's easily the best written Spidey clone.

I find the thing they forget most is the supporting cast. Spidey at his creative and commerical peak was this perfect blend of costumed heroics and teen romance comics soap opera, and most other imitators lack the diverse cast of supporting players that made Peter's life so believable. Spectacular Spider-Man absolutely nailed that part and that's why it'll always be the best Spidey adaptation to me.
>>
>>93098534
Yeah Static has an interesting cast of characters too

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bpG-Rg8QTTg
>>
>>93095331
>It doesn't seem official
That dude works at DC you fuck, he's better than you.
>>
>>93098534
Ah, Spectacular was fucking perfect and I wish it never got cancelled.
>>
>>93094647
>Capt. Atom
My brother of African decent. All you missing is a Green Lantern and Blue Beetle and it'd be gold.
>>
>>93098879
Guy Gardner should be on it
>>
>>93094592
Once in a while DC push a character as the big black hope. Happened to Steel, happened to Mr Terrific and now it's Cyborg's turn. I guess it's the result of trying to make 70 years old property to look hip and relevant.
>>
>>93094624
Probably was forced into learning cybernetics and technology because there are no doctors for cyborgs and he can't rely on others to maintain him.

Cybernetic implants may help as well. I don't read the comics but nothing here is unusual or unbelievable. Jocks aren't stupid unless they're planning on their physique carrying them through life.
>>
>>93098704
It was very good, but it was by no means perfect.
>>
>>93100912
Yeah, best girl Black Cat never hooked up with Spidey.
>>
Give his solo a good sci-fi/futurist writer who can write more than just "BUT AM I A MAN OR MACHINE?", define his powerset clearer and update his design to white and blue as opposed to silver and red. The 70s called and they want their outdated idea of robotics and futurism back
>>
>>93096510
I wanted Static or Black Lightning, DESU. At least Young Justice remembered he exists.
>>
>>93095386
>>93095588
is it bad that I actually liked the movie?
or at least not considered it shit?
>>
>>93098113
Ms Marvel was the latest one. It's boring though. None of the spidey knockoffs or spidey himself has GOAT stories.
>>
>>93095590
Go back to CBR, Desh. I hope they kill off John.
>>
>>93098053
ASM sells well despite the book being utter garbage and Static is largely irrelevant to anyone who hasn't seen the cartoon (and to a good deal of people that have seen it).

How did Static work, exactly? I actually love him as a character... but come on.
>>
>>93094370
No, you´re supposed to steal bikes and eat watermelons and chicken while listening to gangsta rap.
Or you could just study until you turn into Neil Degrasse Tyson and NOT watch teen titans, your call.
>>
better question why are people still complaining about this shit after almost 6 years and about three roster changes?
>>
>>93103161
It's cheesy but it's not terrible
>>
>>93103894
It just doesn't make any fucking sense no matter how you slice it. You out Cyborg on because he was most popular black character at the time who wasn't John Stewart, and you remove everything interesting about him.
>>
>>93104002
>and you remove everything interesting about him.
for example? They haven't removed anything that I've seen except moving him to Detroit instead of new York and making him less surly. That and connecting him to the new gods and doing nothing with them. which isn't removing.
>>
>>93104083
He probably means he isn't shouting booyah or hitting showers
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.