[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are the villain songs in Disney movies always so much better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: d-hell-8.png (550KB, 1158x623px) Image search: [Google]
d-hell-8.png
550KB, 1158x623px
Why are the villain songs in Disney movies always so much better than the other songs?
>>
File: 1496899957121.jpg (76KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
1496899957121.jpg
76KB, 720x576px
>>93089397
Most Disney villains are actually the good guys so you can better relate to them
>>
Because they are always the most intense songs of the movie, without fail. It comes with the territory of being evil that your time to shine will be full of passion and fire, and when translated to a song these qualities create something that resonates in our minds, makes us as fired up as the villains are about their plots. It helps that a lot of these songs start out pretty slow and easygoing and end completely off the wall intense.

And they stick out especially well in Disney movies because most other songs are slow and meant to move the story along. Compare "Kiss The Girl" to " Poor Unfortunate Souls" and you'll see what I mean.
>>
They're usually more interesting than songs that are usually
"This is my life"
"I love you"
"This is my personality"
>>
>>93089397
Is this a villain song thread?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x8mx-aIhnQ
>>
>>93089500
Frollo's was about his life and his love though.
>>
>>93089585
Yes but it didn't boil down to just that. It was more about his confliction between faith and lust and how he was basically lying to himself to make himself appear just.
>>
>>93089487
It's also worth pointing out that the villain songs are where the villains really get pulled into focus (before their songs most villains are usually just background noise), and where the main conflict for the movie gets established and kickstarted.

This is part of the reason the villain song for Pocahontas, "Mine, Mine, Mine", is often unfavorably looked at in comparison to the later song "Savages". "Mine, Mine, Mine" is about Ratcliffe's greed for the gold he assumes is in the land, but the movie as a whole isn't about the gold so much as the tension between the Indians and the colonists. Therefore, "Savages" is MUCH more thematically in line as a villain song, as the conflict between the two groups is brought to a head here and Ratcliffe is allowed to act as a true villain as opposed to just a general greedy jerk.
>>
The only acceptation to this that I can think of is "Be our Guest" being slightly better than Gaston's song. Maybe "Make a Man out of You" but the Huns didn't have a song, so I'm not sure if I can count that.
>>
>>93089397
Judge Frollo literally did nothing wrong.
>>
>>93090486
>The only acceptation to this that I can think of is "Be our Guest" being slightly better than Gaston's song
To be fair, most of Beauty and the Beast's songs were incredibly subdued compared to their other movies. They wanted to focus solely on the love story, so damn near everything was toned down as compared to, say, Princess and the Frog.
>>
>>93089397
Who /fotos/ here?
>>
I feel like Notre dame couldn't be made today, with the ugly protagonist and christian stuff, there would be a shit storm
>>
>>93091058
"Being nice to someone doesn't entitle you to their feelings" is such a crucial lesson that not enough children are taught--or perhaps they're exposed to the film too early to appreciate that message.
>>
>>93089397
Aladdin is also an exception. Two different teams wrote 3-4-5 songs for Jafar and in the end they just went with a short reprise of "Prince Ali."

The problem there was it was too late in the movie and you don't want a long song there.
>>
>>93089397
Moana
>>
>>93091490
It goes beyond that, though. It's not just "You aren't entitled to someone's feelings just because you're nice to them", because if they wanted to go that route they could have blatantly had Quasimodo confront Esmerelda about how she needed to give him love because he saved her life and continued the movie from there.

The movie stresses that it's okay to feel sad or hurt that the person you have a crush on doesn't feel that way about you, so long as you don't let that pain blind you to their needs and turn you into a heartless monster. Frollo, while not exactly "nice" in any measurable manner, was the antithesis to this lesson: he couldn't accept that Esmerelda didn't want him at all, so he damn near destroyed everything because he thought he deserved her.

Quasi could have just let Frollo tear Paris apart just for Esmerelda. He could have refused to help care for Phoebus. He could have done all of that and, while not befitting a Disney hero, would not have been unjustified in his inactions. But he didn't. He cared about Esmerelda enough that he wanted to make sure she was safe and happy, even if it meant not being with him.
>>
>>93089397
Because they are more concentrated in a matter of storytelling. Villians has less screentime.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.