[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone recommend me a good way to start drawing seriously?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: guide sheets.png (2MB, 3562x1212px) Image search: [Google]
guide sheets.png
2MB, 3562x1212px
Can anyone recommend me a good way to start drawing seriously? I love looking at drawings and the art in comic books and I really want to draw well but I have a terrible attention span and get frustrated when I can't see results quickly.

I have downloaded plenty of guide sheets and PDF's detailing ways to draw but is there anything out there that will help keep me motivated?

I'm going to try the sketch daily challenges and I own Jazza's Arty Games (which is useful when you are stuck for ideas)
>>
Do you have a reference folder?

Can I borrow it
>>
>>93043427
I have PDF's of body shapes but my OP picture is all the generic reference sheets I own. Are there any pictures in there that you want me to post?
>>
When people draw pictures like this and say things like "7 hours and 12 pens later, it is finally finished" blows my mind.

I think I would get frustrated after not seeing much results in an hour.
>>
File: gesturalfigures.jpg (58KB, 800x428px) Image search: [Google]
gesturalfigures.jpg
58KB, 800x428px
>>93043339
Don't be afraid to do gesture drawings! Just look at a reference and try to knock out a rough and animated-feeling copy in like a minute. In almost every case, a person who grinds their gesture ability is going to be a more appealing artist than someone who can nitpick details. And if you want to learn to do details better, gesture ability will help you learn that more than detail ability would help you learn to gesture.
>>
>>93043838
Thank you. I do have a lot of pose guides that I try to follow but I tend to draw a very simplistic body shape, like a slightly more defined stickman.

My problem seems to be that I'm good at copying a drawing but completely forget all the details when I have no reference. I know a lot of this will come down to lack of practice but what do you think is the best way to keep interest in drawing?
>>
>>93043838
Is right. Focus on churning out a shitload of drawings for like 80-90 percent of the time, and use the other 10-20 percent to focus on perfecting certain things that bother you.

its like that story with the pottery class students. One set was told they needed to make a shitload of pots to get a good grade, the other was told to focus on one pot and make it perfect. The ones that had to make lots of pots wound up with higher quality pots than the kids who only had to make one, because they were able to see what worked and what didn't, and they didn't feel the pressure to discard something right away (thus wasting the time spent making it, and being left with nothing) if it wasn't perfect.
>>
>>93044021
So it's just a self teaching trial and error type thing until I see what works for me and what doesn't? That sounds like a good way to create my own style, which is what I want.

However I would still like to have a good starting point. Are there any YouTube channels or particular reference guides worth checking out to allow me to skip over some time consuming novice mistakes?
>>
>>93044193
Drawing in general? Do you plan to make comics anon?
>>
>>93043838
>My problem seems to be that I'm good at copying a drawing but completely forget all the details when I have no reference.

That'll get better with time. Think about references as building a database of how things look, which you'll subconsciously draw upon later. When you try to draw a guy looking sideways, you'll remember all the times you've drawn it from references.

>>93044193
Don't forget to seek criticism too. Your "style" is basically the unique approach you use to solve problems. If you want to, say, convey that a character is attractive, your style will be the sort of solutions you tend to turn to. Although there's an infinite number of possible solutions, the ones you use still have to actually work, and getting feedback can help you ensure this.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.