[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the chances that the writers for this comic could a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 13

File: nbzjtglsirozgbders7y.png (458KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
nbzjtglsirozgbders7y.png
458KB, 800x450px
What are the chances that the writers for this comic could actually write a transgender superhero character good and not just make being transgender their only character flaw?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/meet-chalice-a-new-transgender-superhero-1782495639

I've been intrigued by the possibility of good well-written transgender characters in comics since it feels refreshing and a change of pace yet I feel like I am bracing myself for disappointment as they would only more or less be progressive points for the comic book publishers.
>>
>>93040424
I wish someone in /co/ had managed to get the funds, willpower, and scripts necessary to get Motion off of the ground. She had a lot of groundwork to become a good character.
>>
>>93040463

Motion?
>>
>>93040463
There was too much infighting over her, though.
>>
>>93040424
make a good charcter, then slap transgender on top
dont make a fuss about it, its just a character trait, like what their hair color is or what their favorite flavor of ice cream
>>
File: 6166.jpg (630KB, 1144x1012px) Image search: [Google]
6166.jpg
630KB, 1144x1012px
>>93040487
Here you go:

http://the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/Motion

>>93040582
I know, but there was a lot of meat on her bones as a result. Enough to make her cross the threshold from /co/ creation status of flight o' fancy/cool design to a narrative being you could get several stories out of. The feuds got intense, but there was real nuance and potential there.

I mean, they could have done a better job than whatever everyone else in the industry has been doing lately.
>>
>>93040659
dang thats a nice art style
>>
>>93040424
>>6/23/16 12:45pm

didn't this comic already come out??
>>
>well-written
>transgender
Pick one.
>>
>>93040709
Cornell did a bang up job with Sir Ystin.
>>
>>93040719
She wasn't in Seven Soldiers. She wanted the D pretty badly there and it ended with her taking up a civilian identity as a British schoolgirl.
>>
>>93040424
huh. might be cool. props for her superpowers having nothing to do with her beings trans in any way shape or form. most writers would make it something to do with sex or disguises.

I hope they manage to make the gravity powers visually interesting.
>>
>>93040709
literally all any faggot needs to do is write a perfectly normal character and say theyre transgender off to the side like fuck its like people thinking a gay character needs to constantly talk about how gay they are and think that makes a good character or some shit

idgi
>>
>>93040424
the problem with writing trans characters is that the issue is so heavily politicised you can't do it seriously in comics.

The reality is that trans people often have pretty serious issues with identity and a comic exploring that in a Superhero could be really cool because you have a built in identity crisis with the secret identity aspect already. Unfortunately what the comics establishment wants right now is less of a real trans character and more of a figurehead to point to so you have to make your character

a) functional in every way
b) a good example of how transitioning is a 'perfect solution'
c) passable because ugly characters don't sell
>>
I know it's a cancer site but I actually felt this list gets it mostly right except for 2) and if you consider that 10) specifically refers to a *superhero* character

themarysue.com/modern-trans-superhero/

It's asking for this basically >>93040810. Don't make trans the whole of it and don't use all the stereotypes.
>>
>>93040837
This, I feel like we'll never have a well-written realistically portrayed trans character. ;_;
>>
>>93040424
Alters is fucking boring, the main character is drawn like a man and then drawn as woman when it's time to fight crime, there's no real transition

the main character has like a zillion identical looking brothers and a fat mom and spent 85% percent of issue one whining about going to his brother's baseball/soccer game, it's all done in that very hacky trapped in the closet with my conservative midwest family

The covers are great tho Stillfreeze is the man .
>>
>>93040892
I feel like it's not something that should be ignored either. Since that isn't really how things are in real life. It's what most people who legitimately experience gender dysphoria wish things were like, but sooner or later shit comes up. So just making a character and then saying they are transgender still feels unrealistic.
>>
>>93040918
I guess I'm just saying find a balance of when to make note of this character trait and when not to.
>>
File: BookScanCenter_3.png (4MB, 1839x848px) Image search: [Google]
BookScanCenter_3.png
4MB, 1839x848px
>>93040731
Cornell wrote her as a trans dude during his Demon Knights run and hooked her up with a hot Amazon warrior. It was pretty neat since her transness did figure into her story without being preachy or too heavy handed. Of course, this was all during New 52 so it's probably irrelevant now.
>>
Okay look this comic is going to blow, we all know it, but it's also necessary. For trans superheroes to become a thing where they can be like, developed and have interesting arcs, or for this fad to go away (depending on your views) we need to have this terrible cringey depiction of a perfect untouchable god-woman who is also trans and brings this up constantly.

This is how every minority superhero is and you know it. You gotta do the perfect mary sue who happens to be [insert thing here] before you can do the flawed, interesting character.
>>
>>93040810
being trans is not like being gay, it's stupid statements like this that drive the whole shit show

being transgender is literally a mental 'illness' it's a problem in the brain. I'm not saying this to be mean or troll or anything the point is to establish that it's a far deeper issue than 'just' whether you like dudes or not. You can't write a trans character that doesn't obsess about being trans because that's what a lot trans people (especially early in transition) are like, in the same way that you can't write a character with depression without focusing the comic around that depression because that's what depression is like.

THAT SAID, this also doesn't mean the character or the story should be focused around shit like LGBT rights because that's not the point either, it should be about the personal struggle of the character because that's the golden rule of drama.

If your trans character starts every conversation with "I'm trans btw xD, stop oppressing me shitlords" that's dumb and tumblr esque. But vice versa your trans character shouldn't be presented as "being trans is easy and nothing goes wrong and it's all sunshine and rainbows, do not worry fellow transpeople out in the world you are beautiful the way you are, in fact it's so easy that being transgender is just a footnote in my identity." That second one might be true in like 50-100 years but it's certainly not true now.

There's a middle ground here where your character can be unconcerned about trans issues all the time and instead be concerned about their OWN issues. Instead of some overarching nebulous "lgbt rights" it should be "I can't eat on these hormones" or "when am I gonna grow tits?" or "should I wear boy clothes or girl clothes?" etc.

an exploration of what it really means to have a deeply personal incongruity, not an exploration of whether modern society has LGBT equality.
>>
>>93040659
Now I want to try and make more comics for this character although I am a terrible writer and drawer. ;_;

I guess I could make a separate forum where I could recruit a band of artists and writers to develop a new series of comics. I'd moderate things to ensure there is no infighting or arguments.
>>
fuck io9, and fuck OP for posting a worthless link to PR fluff for a comic that won't be out for another thee months.

>Chalice is the star of a new series called Alters from Paul Jenkins, Leila Leiz, and Tamra Bonvillain (a transgender woman herself),with covers by Black Panther artist Brian Stelfreeze. Alters is set in a world where humanity is confronted with the emergence of a mutant section of the population, dubbed “Alterations,” that develops superpowers.

>Chalice, undergoing transition from male to female, discovers that she is an “Alter” with the power to manipulate gravity—leading to her double-double life, where she is not yet “out” as either transgender or a superpowered being, and can only present as female when in her superhero costume and fighting crime. The series will also feature other heroes, but Chalice will be its primary protagonist.

>It’s an intriguing idea—one writer Jenkins picked up on from a fan while brainstorming ideas for the comic—and a welcome move for a larger variety of LGBTQ representation in superhero comics (which often tend to stick to the Lesbian or Gay side of the spectrum, moreso than bisexual or transgender lead characters). Alters is set to begin this September.

Hey, OP. You had a trans/queer/wtf character in a big two book that was well written, a main character in an ensemble cast, in Demon Knights.

AND NOBODY FUCKING BOUGHT IT.
>>
>>93041009
What was the name of that character?
>>
>>93041009
that link is a year old, Alters already came out and finished or the publisher went under, there hasn't been anything new from Aftershock in over a year.
>>
>>93040977
>This is how every minority superhero is and you know it
Northstar was a terrorist and an asshole.
>>
>>93040977
Isn't this how Wonder Woman spent most of her early days?
>>
>>93041023
the character is called Chalice the book is called Alters.
>>
>>93040918
>>93040932
The article doesn't say ignore it, it pretty much says exactly what you are. I said "don't make it the whole of it" someone will probably make a shitty joke about surgery now
>>
>>93041054
That is related to Demon Knights?
>>
>>93041009
>which often tend to stick to the Lesbian or Gay side of the spectrum, moreso than bisexual or transgender lead characters
Does anyone ever focus on bisexuals? I've always had the impression that nobody really gives a fuck about them, aside from the occasional fag who hates them because they can pass as normal.
>>
>>93041042
You're crazy, aftershock stuff comes out almost weekly and Alters is on the first trade
>>
>>93041009
>one writer Jenkins picked up on from a fan while brainstorming ideas for the comic
lol, I bet the fan is DELIGHTED
>>
>>93041062
Actually, >>93040979 summed up what I was trying to explain perfectly.

But why do I get the feeling that should such a realistic well rounded well-written character be picked apart by fucking feminists and sjws despite it actually being positive toward issues faced by trans individuals?
>>
>>93041063
no it's an original character from a self contained book.
>>
>>93041063
The character from Demon Knights was Shining Knight aka Sir Ystin.
>>
>>93041068
There are a lot of bisexual (women) characters in comics.
>>
>>93041068
ConJob's bisexuality has been more explicit of late.
>>
>>93041068
yeah, there's a pretty obscure book you've probably never heard of called X-Men which features a few bisexual women
>>
File: coagula3[1].jpg (147KB, 648x1000px) Image search: [Google]
coagula3[1].jpg
147KB, 648x1000px
>>93040837
>Unfortunately what the comics establishment wants right now is less of a real trans character and more of a figurehead to point to so you have to make your character

I would take it one step beyond. The trans community is absolutely fucking nuts in their societal expectations, and I'm not talking about the gender dysphoria.

It's trainwreck after trainwreck of stupid drama. The
most hilarious I can think of are that Batgirl Dagger Type thing, where the transfags lost their shit about a cross dressing diva, and the carnival of bullshit that is the Drawn and Quarterly kerfuffle from a day or two ago, where they on their blog publically canceled an author's book and practically called him a shitlord for the most trivial social media garbage..

>>93040892
That list only serves to document shit that already is reasonably common, plus some basic common writing sense. If that list is actually useful to anyone, they're probably an ignorant moron that's beyond help. But it's a lot better than I was expecting.

>>93040932
When it drives the narrative. When it looks cool. When it makes logical sense.

>>93041068
The Biscum meme is real.

Pro whiners call it "bi erasure".
>>
File: Motion.png (48KB, 476x674px) Image search: [Google]
Motion.png
48KB, 476x674px
Damn it, I want to see more of Motion. She looks like she could be a legitimate character from one of the two main companies.
>>
>>93040979
buddy you completely missed half of what i was conveying in my post while making the assumption i cant differentiate gay and trans just because i said i hated 1 dimensional portrayals of a character being harolded as well written

also trans is a shitty term that doesnt explain what trans is at all because you have varying forms of "trans" bullshit that arise in people. thats why you have truscum, trenders, and the whole "nonbinary" crowd constantly at odds and turning every place they bump into each other a cesspool of misery. its completely realistic to have a character exist and just tack on them being trans as a footnote, especially if they are post transition and its a one off story where them being trans doesnt matter worth a damn just like its realistic to have a whiny tumblr bitch be a protagonist for a mecha anime that wont shut up about being trans because that would basically be a standard protag for a story like that anyway, just replace trans with being too weak or too scared to fight giant robots while piloting a giant robot
>>
>>93041146
Why does she have two black circles on her tits?
>>
>>93041146
make a script inspring enough to make artists want to do it, or buy some artwork.
>>
>>93041155
>especially if they are post transition and its a one off story where them being trans doesnt matter worth a damn
Uhh, that's not entirely true, bud.

> thats why you have truscum, trenders, and the whole "nonbinary" crowd constantly at odds and turning every place they bump into each other a cesspool of misery
Who the fuck gives a shit about them? We're making a transgender character. I'll give the nonbinary folk a pass since I have a few hypotheses about them, but the trenders and truscum ain't shit.
>>
>>93041167
I'm a terrible writer though and honestly, I haven't had any experience with being transgender. If anything, I wouldn't mind just being a moderator of a team of writers and artists to ensure arguments do not ensue and we can actually create an awesome character.
>>
>all these muggas forgetting about Mantra
>>
>>93041136
Did you have that pic ready or did you specifically go look it up from the TMS list?
>>
>>93041167
>>93041200
If I wanted to help with such projects, would me actually being transgender put me at a disadvantage?
>>
>>93041183

>Uhh, that's not entirely true, bud.
it is, trans people like that have periods of their life worth telling a story about where them being trans plays absolutely no part at all, therefore a one off story about an event that happened in a fictional trans persons life where them being trans didnt matter worth a damn is entirely realistic and is what i would personally want out of a "well written" trans person

theres varying ways you can do a "well written" trans person but for the sake of the context of this thread, one where them being trans isnt the main focus is what would probably satisfy a good amount of people in execution. other ones that make use of them being trans during the whole slice of life aspects in super hero comics would be a good follow up for a younger hero

>Who the fuck gives a shit about them? We're making a transgender character. I'll give the nonbinary folk a pass since I have a few hypotheses about them, but the trenders and truscum ain't shit.

because nonbinary people, truscum, and trenders all fall under the term transgender as it exists now because 99.9% of the time truscum are medically trans people that think nonbinarys and trenders are full of shit
>>
>>93041042
Wait a second. Why the FUCK would the OP post a link to PR fluff from a fucking year ago instead of the comic? Did you have any children that lived?

>>93041200
Your theoretical moderating efforts are meaningless. A creator has to be in the drivers seat.
>>
>>93040994
>I could recruit a band of artists and writers to develop a new series of comics. I'd moderate things to ensure there is no infighting or arguments.
That was actually the main source of the fighting. One dude kept trying to pump /co/ for free art/writing/ideas and contributed nothing but criticism while trying to act like it was his personal project. Shit got ugly.
>>
>>93041208
Shouldn't that put you at an advantage?
>>
>>93041155
That's because you're using trans as an transient instead of as a real, defined word.

The reason that the online trans community is a shitshow right now is precisely because a bunch of people who would not be categorised as traditionally 'trans' are attempting to claim trans as a label to refer to themselves when in all honesty they should really be their own unique thing. There's really no connection between a dude who thinks he's a girl (or a girl who thinks she's a dude) and a dude who is a dude sometimes and a girl other times and sometimes is neither or else some nebulous point between.

There's a concrete classification for people who believe they are the opposite gender from what they were born as - trans. Maybe there's an objection to trans as a label for them but in that case they need their own new word, not to have everyone else crowd into that word. Like it or not right now, the medical definition of trans is what it is.

you're attempting to reframe the debate basically. What I'm saying is based on the way the word trans is used in wider society right now while what you're saying is based on the way tumblr/social media uses it which are not the same thing.

If you want to talk about the latter we can but you should have said so earlier because I was speaking to the later.
>>
>>93041208
dont fall for the industry meme just contribute
>>
>>93041245
*former

fucked that up
>>
>>93041201
Mantra is about a man who woke in a woman's body and had to assume her life.

it's a different type of animal
>>
>>93041224
I think that anon means the external conflicts that may arise. While true that trans people who pass more or less go on to lead normal lives there may still come up an issue where them being trans comes out. I get what you're saying though. I'm just saying if you want to get very in detail about this character's life you'd have to address some internal and external conflicts through important turning points such as beginning hormone therapy and perhaps even changing documents. Sooner or later you would have to show these moments which may interfere with the plot.

>>93041251
Industry meme?

>>93041233
I would suspect that it's so that the character doesn't end up becoming that anon's self-insert.
>>
>>93040424
It'd defeat the purpose of being a snowflake comic

Just like Heathen wouldn't be Heathen without GAY STRONG WOMEN
>>
>>93041245
while online, i just make the assumption that when someone is talking about anything that uses the word trans, theyre using the shitty social media definition for it since that seems to be the case.... ALL the time with everyone i know and people i dont know these days. i know i probably shouldnt on a place like 4chan, but theres enough people on here that utilize the word the same it makes these conversations difficult.

i feel like we need better descriptors since trans has been as bastardized as retard and trigger and i feel fucking awful for people who have to go through the whole medical process just to function being associated with those mongs.

but anyway sorry for the mix up.
>>
>>93040638
But trans people have a unique perspective that has a lot of storytelling potential.

Trannies live difficult lives filled with both internal and external strife. Most will probably never feel happy with themselves and will not in this lifetime be truly accepted socially. They're currently stuck on the far side of alternative culture.

What causes them to be this way is still not understood and there's no consensus on how it should be approached.

I think there's a lot of potential for storytelling with this kind of character.
>>
>>93041311
no worries lad
>>
>>93041208
Your gender, whether fucked up or not has no bearing on your ability to write or create art.

It also has no bearing on your ability to commission such works. That's mostly a function of money.

And comics has more high profile transexuals than almost any other industry. There are famous, well paid, at least in comics terms pros.

I'm not sure what other issue there could be.

>>93041245
The chaos seems a natural conclusion of a gender identity is 100 percent self defined, which is the direction we're heading.

>>93041260
I'm curious. I'm trying to think of how Manta's gender identity could be described as anything different than trans? Different beast as in not necessarily that relateable to existing transfags, but is it really a separate thing?
>>
>>93041268
what im saying is not to get that much in depth in a characters history but go ahead and drop obvious nudges to them being trans, but dont make it a major part of the story

to start with
you can easily write a trans character by writing them as you would any other asshole, then once youre finished with the initial story, if theres no major conflicts with adding on the trait that theyre trans, then doing so.

once you have the initial story out, you can flesh out the character more and come back and write a different story from that same characters life that goes into more detail about their past and the hang ups over things like school staff discriminating against the character for insisting being called a name other than what they were signed up under or the woes of being in sports that gender segregate and what not
>>
>>93040994
Honestly, I think the idea of identity has to be the common ground

Have the character dabbling in a realm of magic where in that realm, they can choose their physical manifestion and it feels safe in a way.

The turning point is that the magic world starts to bleed into the reality, what becomes of the fantasy manifestation, is it just that or is it a real part of the character?

As character comes to terms, they must adapt to the situation and it'll test their resolve as a hero as well as their own self.
>>
>>93041260
>Mantra is about a man who woke in a woman's body and had to assume her life.
>it's a different type of animal

The thing is, the overarcing plot of the series was about Lukasz (the original male) slowly coming to terms with and embracing his new form as a female. It was a transitioning story, but a pretty offbeat one as it was about a guy spiritually transitioning into a woman.

I mean it was hardly a subtle or amazing story, but it was pretty interesting when coupled with the supernatural superhero plot it was built into.

>>93041320
>>
>>93041320
Mantra is more of a bodysnatcher who eventually gets overwhelmed with physiology of being a woman. it's as mature as a TG analog you're going to get from a 90's bad girl comic book.

I think at the heart of most realistic transitions there's a choice to be male or female, in Mantra there's never a choice, he was forced out of his body by an evil sorcerer and any opportunity to change back is presented as a selfish decision.
>>
>>93041424
Malibu was great, fuck Marvel.
>>
File: Mantra.jpg (80KB, 383x535px) Image search: [Google]
Mantra.jpg
80KB, 383x535px
>>93041468

Agreed

Also mantra had one of the nicest designed costumes I've seen in a while. It's so visually striking with how the different bits contrast and has a great color scheme.
>>
File: IMG_1235.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1235.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I dunno...I really enjoyed Alters. At the end of the day it's a superhero book. The Trans stuff isn't the driving force of the book and it even has a easily hatable douchey hipster bad guy. My copy of the trade came yesterday. Aftershock puts out some good books
>>
File: MotionCostumes.png (491KB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
MotionCostumes.png
491KB, 2400x1600px
>>93041157
The orange part of her costume is supposed to look like an M.
>>
>>93041146
There's an artist who pops up every so often in /co/ creations thread who has a good grasp on the character and a direction in mind for the story. It hurts to know we may have the perfect creator for Motion and still nothing is coming from it.
>>
>>93040659
>went to a fertility clinic
>misgendered me
wait...
what?
first off, the doctor doesn't misgender shit, ESPECIALLY at a fertility clinic
Either you're male or female, that is kind of fucking important before you go in, and the doctor literally has you fill out forms that say JUST THAT before he or she even sees you.

Secondly, which one was there for fertility options?

As someone who's been to a fertility clinic... you don't get checked out as a couple. It's two separate visits.
>>
>>93041068
bisexuals are boring because they're basically straight + gay (from a writing standpoint)
they don't have the same concerns that gay people have (like realizing their orientation means never having a natural child with your lover, or until recently knowing you can't get married) because half of their relationships are traditional ones.

Also, few readers find bisexuals compelling, to most it feels like it's a copout to avoid writing a fully gay character.
>>
>>93041201
I have a couple random issues of that, never felt it was heavy handed or preachy.
>>
>>93040424
It could be written in 15 years or so when this whole Extremist social activism trend dies down and people stop writing characters to appeal to said activism groups.
>>
>>93041970
the problem with misgendering in a clinic is by not "correctly gendering", the doctor is completely ignoring your specific medical needs and is likely not going to give you the proper treatment should anything arise. an mtf needs treatment more like a bio female because treatments for males would likely consist of doses that are too high for any potential medications and ignoring signs and symptoms only prevalent in females when the womans undergoing some sort of ailment

the thing people need to realize when it comes to going to clinics when youre undergoing hrt is outside of your reproductive organs, assuming that before hrt your body was within what was healthy for a normal man/woman including fertility, your body no longer responds to things as they would have prior, and you have other needs that need to be addressed because your body no longer fits into the neat little categories of male or female medically. and before anyone breaks out the "see then youre fucking up your body" or "yeah because its unnatural" bullshit, this is also an issue for anyone who was born intersex and can in fact be an issue for men with low t and women with high t

there needs to be a third option to cover the various sexual complications that can a person can experience. theyre a lot more common than anyone expects and its pretty often youll meet a doctor thats run into various people who fit the bill who were too uncomfortable treating them or turned them away because they didnt know how to handle any deviation from how we categorize male and female medically

as far as the actual panel is concerned i have no fucking idea im sure the person didnt do the research
>>
Are you faggots unironically giving credibility to the idea of writing a comic about a tranny or is this just a joke?
>>
>>93042125
hey man, if something exists, theres a market for it that will put serious consideration into how to make it something worthwhile
>>
>>93042125
Yes.
The world is turning, anon, and it's leaving you behind.
>>
>>93042056
Let's go back when comics didn't obey trends
>>
>>93041872
I have to say, there's just the right amount of masculinity here. She looks believably passable, but not enough to feel like it's being swept under the rug.
>>
>>93042106
I think you are confused
regular clinic =/= fertility clinic
there is literally no circumstance that a fertility clinic would treat a transgender person differently. For one, if they are a male presenting as female and going to a fertility clinic, it would be because they are having problems being fertile. Generally speaking, transitioning has infertility as a side effect. Especially with HRT. And you don't go to a fertility clinic 99% of the time without your regular physician referring you.

Also, HRT doesn't make a persons body like the opposite sex, medically. It basically puts it in a new category all together.

Is it important for a doctor to know if you're transitioning with hormones? Absolutely. Will they ever treat (as in, medically) you as the sex you are transitioning to? No. That would be harmful.
>>
>>93042236
Nah, the complete lack of a chin throws it off.
Add a bit of boxiness there and they're set.
>>
>>93042173
>Pretending this fad won't end within 2 or 3 years
I feel bad for you Anon.

>>93042185
Capitalism is proving that these trends have no place in the comic market considering their low sales.
>>
>>93042302
yeah i totally got confused, for some reason i was thinking something like planned parenthood which does a lot more than fertility stuff despite its name. thats what i get for posting on 4chan so early in the morning, i guess.

and in summary i was basically saying you cant treat someone transitioning as if they were their bio sex because hormones alter a lot of the body to actually be more of the opposite sex. the whole muscle mass, where fat is stored and how much your body hangs on to it, how your hair grows in, and even how you respond to sexual stimulus. its not safe to be treated as 100% male or 100% female but its a complicated process all around that a doctor that refuses to acknowlege is probably going to make no effort to treat you according to your bodys needs

essentially i was agreeing with you but now i really understand the confusion regarding the original panel in question
>>
>>93042106
I'm not sure if it's the same where you are, but it's completely unthinkable for a doc to misgender like that in a fertlity clinic in America. They're big money cash patients, storing up seeds so they can have biological children post transition.

>an mtf needs treatment more like a bio female because treatments for males would likely consist of doses that are too high for any potential medications and ignoring signs and symptoms only prevalent in females when the womans undergoing some sort of ailment
In a fertility clinic? Did someone put shrooms on your pizza?

>there needs to be a third option to cover the various sexual complications that can a person can experience.

Look. We're talking about a tiny population, that doesn't get included in drug trials, frequently comes with hormonal problems beyond HRT, are frequently given advice to lie to their medical professionals because they're shitlord gatekeepers like they said at the p-flag meeting, and have a prevalence of illegal IV drug use and suicide higher than active duty combat veterans. Conservatism, and by that I mean medically speaking, is generally very warranted in this case.
>>
>>93042339
I expect you were saying the same thing about gay characters 2-3 years ago.
>>
>>93040837
I'd go further. Essentially its the same problem as a disabled superhero etc.

Everyone loves Oracle. however, everyone also kept pointing out, Batman broke his back 3 times, damian twice?, Batwoman once, etc. And that was just the batfamily. Cyborg, metallo, and 10000 other cybernetic solutions to a broken back.. then, Magic, Zatanna, etc..

How do you write a Transgender character in DC comics without addressing the fact, Zatanna has used her magic to change the sex/gender of 3 separate people already?
the solution to the characters problem exists.

So then, you are left with the magic transgender. Which again has been done a good number of times already.

From a trans point of view. pretty ok with that honestly. Wish fulfillment sure. But, its what every trans wants really. Hormones/surgery is just the best solution to what is impossible in real life. But you know what, so is flying, etc.
I don't want a comic that is about how shitty hormones are. or about how society treats trans.
>>
>>93042446
>How do you write a Transgender character in DC comics

Well, there's the rub. Don't do it in an established universe where it's rendered completely trivial.
>>
>>93042394
regarding your last point: well yeah, its a relatively small part of the population, but in a world population of 7billion people even 1% of that is a pretty substantial about of people numerically and having the option to mark off that you dont meet the medical standards of male or female would make it easier for doctors and researchers to know theres going to be some discrepancies from standard treatment
>>
>>93042386
>planned parenthood which does a lot more than fertility stuff despite its name.
actually, planned parenthood doesn't do any fertility stuff.
Planned parenthood primarily does referrals to other doctors (cancer screenings, bloodwork, etc), abortions, and a form of counseling

You have to go to a specific fertility clinic or a hospital for treatments.

Most people who work at planned parenthood aren't actually doctors, that's why they can't do things doctors can.
>>
>>93042508
damn im learning all kinds of new shit today
>>
>>93042446
>>93042446
>From a trans point of view. pretty ok with that honestly. Wish fulfillment sure. But, its what every trans wants really. Hormones/surgery is just the best solution to what is impossible in real life. But you know what, so is flying, etc.

that's actually really interesting anon
>>
>>93042523
PP started as a eugenics program to keep racial minorities from increasing.
Even today, the prevalence of PP offices in black neighborhoods compared to any other is like 5-1, and a black woman is twice as likely as a white woman to have an abortion at planned parenthood.

Abortion doctors also don't have to have the same medical standing as obstetricians or gynecologists (the doctors who deliver babies) which is why the doctors that ARE there cannot fulfill certain medical tasks.

You go to PP to avoid having a child, or to get rid of it once you conceive. Most people who support PP have never been to one.
>>
>>93042446
>But, its what every trans wants really
I dunno, I have 2 trans friends
one is ftm, and basically just hated the concept that a female is vulnerable. the transition became a way for them to feel less endangered.
the other one I know transitioned, full on surgery, mtf. Years later, completely regrets the decision, as they realized they didn't truly hate their gender, they hated the concept of gender. Now they're stuck with a gaping wound that they have to pretend is anything like a natural vagina, but since they've had sex with women before, they know isn't. It's kind of a torture, and even magic turning them 100% female wouldn't be enough to deal with the fact that they would just be trading one set of gender expectations for another.
>>
File: 1470384732700.jpg (18KB, 264x292px) Image search: [Google]
1470384732700.jpg
18KB, 264x292px
>>93042595
im gonna walk away from this properly researching it myself but everything youre saying makes a scary amount of sense and its baffling how skeevy this whole set up is despite the fact i support the choice of abortion because id rather something not have to experience life than be born from someone who obviously doesnt feel ready or doesnt want the kid and will likely give them a miserable life as a result
>>
>>93042714
>Not have to experience life
You realize their already alive right?
You're talking about not experiencing pain, or strife, which is part of the human condition.
>>
>>93042775
>You realize their already alive right?
Well that's the crux of the debate, isn't it?
>>
>>93042714
The thing you need to realize is
A) america has a 99% adoption rate. If you are put up for adoption as a newborn, you will be adopted out within months. It's a guarantee unless you are a special needs child.
B) Planned parenthood has literally 150 times as many abortions as adoption referrals.

So in a time where giving your child up for adoption is essentially a guarantee that it's going to a family that wants it (and is also financially stable, as there are a lot of fees associated with adopting newborns) PP still convinces 150 times as many women to abort than to carry to term.

Even if you adjust for women who want to hide a pregnancy entirely (that would only be women aborting in the first 12 weeks) that's still an insanely high number.

Oh, also, literally half of their revenue stream is abortions. The other half is government funding.
>>
>>93042831
No, no one argues they aren't alive.
They're alive from conception. Scientifically this is fact. Even pushing it you can argue that it's not truly it's own separate entity until the heart begins beating. At a few weeks in.
The argument is when is it "humane" to terminate an unborn child. Not when are they alive.
The real crux is "when does the government have an obligation to protect an unborn child"

That is the true debate.
>>
File: bookAlters_gallery03.jpg (244KB, 650x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bookAlters_gallery03.jpg
244KB, 650x1000px
>>93040424
We've gotten like 10+ trans characters within the past few years.

Porcelin from Secret Six
One of the mains for Kim and Kim
Batgirl's former roommate
The main character of Alters
thats just the few off the top of my head.

I don't mind it but everyone who writes it or advertises it act like it's the biggest deal.
Then again Batwoman being a lesbian when she first came out was a big enough deal to have news articles about it. So who knows.
>>
>>93042775
its just the lack of a family that actually wanted you that gets to me. i grew up around people who were unloved or unwanted and it killed me because i always felt like i had something they didnt and i wanted them to experience it. the lives of the people i grew up with were basically like that "the kids arent alright song" from the offspring, and one of my peers was actually kidnapped as a kid by her psychotic mother and murdered.

in my thoughts, if someone doesnt want the kid and is That Dick that wouldnt put them up for adoption, theyre better off being aborted than being put through that hell.

also, we really have no obligation to raise our birthrates. we're already insanely overpopulated, and the denial of life before being able to remember longer than a few seconds prior is really not a big deal in my eyes. had i been aborted, it wouldnt have mattered since i wouldnt have been consciously aware of being alive anyway. people usually cant remember shit from being conceived until about 2-3 years old

>>93042892
i do feel like they only have an obligation once the babys capable of surviving outside of the womb personally.

>>93042852
going through childbirth and then having to put the kid up for adoption is something that seems pretty physically and emotionally taxing in and of itself. im still not going to judge someone who intends to go in and have an abortion over carrying the pregnancy to term because theres a lot of factors to consider when it comes to having a kid anyway. also, a lot of people who go for an abortion would likely try to find an alternative if someone tried to talk them out of it anyway
>>
>>93042980
I don't care about birth rates either, and it is sad that stuff like that happens, this is why CPS exist and should be improved. But I don't think any of us have the right to decide an innocent life is not worth living.
>>
>>93042852
Don't you think the fact that 150 pregnancies are terminated for every 1 that's put up for adoption might have something to do with that stellar 99% adoption rate? I'd have to imagine it's a lot harder to place 151 adoptions than 1.
>>
>>93043031
i do respect your viewpoint and opinion and i feel as though we're at a stalemate, so ill go ahead and tip my hat to you and head off now, anon
>>
>>93043063
Thats not how adoptions work
You give the child to the state, i.e. put it up for adoption
Then the state finds parents.
You don't have to find parents. That rarely happens outside of a family member adopting.
I've literally helped find a couple to adopt someone's baby before. I became acutely aware of how unusual it was.
>>
>>93043159
Yeah, I meant a lot harder -for the state- to find 151 places to put those kids.
>>
>>93043176
No, it's super easy
There's a wait list.
There's way more people wanting to adopt than babies being out up for adoption
>>
>>93043206
Yeah, but are there 150 times as many?
>>
>>93043226
If literally all aborted babies were adopted instead, they're statistically likely to adopt children of their own. So it's entirely possible it would lead to that.
>>
>>93043264
A statistically significant number of those potential parents would be adopting as parents, plural, rather than it being entirely 1:1, not to mention the ones just having kids of their own.
>>
Trans don't deserve representation period
>>
Can't believe I'm saying this but Shezow! is as good as it gets when it comes to that sort of thing.
>>
>>93043478
Your sagely insight is duly noted, random anon #93043478. You're really going to sway a lot of hearts and minds with your total lack of empathy and failure to present any sort of argument.
>>
>>93043641
>Trans want to transition from one sex to another
>"I need to be represented"

Read a comic with a guy or a girl on it, bam you are represented.
>>
>>93043705
Representation is about the reader being able to see characters cope with and overcome the same struggles they're facing, not just the surface details.
>>
>>93043705
>>93043739
Also importantly, it's about letting people who aren't part of the demographic gain insight into it. They can help to sympathize with the members of that demographic by way of their association with the character.
>>
>>93043705
>Read a comic with a guy or girl on it
Fucking this.

For shits sake that's what they had been doing for nearly a century by now. It's what I did, because my dream was to be a REAL girl, not some fake homunculus girl.
>>
>>93043739

Maybe someone over the age of 5 shouldn't seek validation through fictional characters.

Kind of pathetic.
>>
>>93043815
You're not the only one of us, nor is your experience definitive. Some people would like to see the struggle of reality rather than wistfully chase the dream.
>>
>>93043478
This
>>
>>93043861
Says you, here on /co/, debating the importance of such fictional characters. That aside, who said anything about validation?
>>
>>93043864
>Some people would like to see the struggle of reality rather than wistfully chase the dream.

By "some of us" you mean "you".

So refer to the first point you made.

>You're not the only one of us, nor is your experience definitive.
>>
>>93043930
Yeah, you fucking knob. The fact that you and I have differing opinions is supporting my argument, not discrediting it. I'm not the one who was acting like we should all be satisfied or saying "that's what they had been doing" as though everyone of us were acting as some sort of hivemind.
>>
File: 1466125036732.png (194KB, 364x604px) Image search: [Google]
1466125036732.png
194KB, 364x604px
>>93043864
>they don't use fictional stories as an escape from the shitty struggles of reality
>>
>>93044003
I do, but also sometimes I don't.
You can enjoy different things at different times.
>>
>>93044061
fiction that feels too real to me always makes me insanely uncomfortable and i can't ever push my way through it. i never quite understood how people could get into it, but to each their own, right?
>>
>>93040719
Ystin was intersex.
>>
I miss when we were talking about Motion.
>>
>>93044104
I know people who couldn't get into the Office (US) because Michael was too realistically socially retarded, so I can get where you're coming from.
>>
>the abortion arguments

These is honestly a lot more civil than any abortion argument I've seen anywhere else online. Like God damn.
>>
>>93044291
Yeah, I'm not sure what I expected from this thread, but it wasn't that.
>>
>>93042852
>america has a 99% adoption rate.

Holy shit what a load of lies you are feeding people, anon. I'm am just fucking slack-jawed at how brazenly you're stating this shit.

For everyone's information: There are 107,918 foster children eligible for and waiting to be adopted America. In 2014, 50,644 foster kids were adopted — a number that has stayed roughly consistent for the past five years. This is nowhere near "99%."
>>
>>93040638

Yeah, no.

Being trans is an unique perspective that pretty much influences a character.
>>
>>93040709

Conservatives think any life form that isn't a straight white man is "badly written"
>>
>>93045112
One thing to be concerned about though, the character should still be a character outside their gender identity. It's just as easy to oversell it as it is to undersell.
>>
>>93040638
>being this stupid
>>
I can see a transgender Moon Knight working.
Get it? Because Moon Knight is mentally ill
>>
File: 1289324-symbiotes.jpg (511KB, 1302x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1289324-symbiotes.jpg
511KB, 1302x1052px
>>93040424
I've actually been thinking recently that an interesting idea could be a transgender symbiote host. There could be parallels with the genderless and shapeshifting nature of the symbiote with the gender issues of the host.
>>
>>93045382
You'd make a good Joker, anon.
Because you're so very funny.
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.