[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Japan get straight up adaptations of manga series (sometimes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Nemesis the Warlock Torquemada.jpg (360KB, 600x762px) Image search: [Google]
Nemesis the Warlock Torquemada.jpg
360KB, 600x762px
Why does Japan get straight up adaptations of manga series (sometimes even at a great financial loss to the publisher) but the West doesn't get straight up adaptations of comics?
>>
>>93027880
>sometimes even at a great financial loss to the publisher
/thread
>>
>>93027909
Not really because there are many massively commercially successful anime series.
>>
Mangas are respected in Japan.

Comics are seen as a joke in America.
>>
>>93027880
There are some of them.
>>
Because cartoons are for kids and not that many comics can be adapted to them, especially stand alone ones.
>>
>>93027880
The west views their comics as a joke and they're never going to make something unless they make money
>>
>there will never be a Nemesis the Warlock animated adaptation
>there will never be a Judge Dredd animated adaptation
>there will never be an ABC Warriors animated adaptation
IT'S JUST NOT FAIR
>>
>>93027880
see
>>93028436
>>
>>93027880
I do think we get plenty of adaptations in the west. Just not exclusively comic books, and rarely ever to animation.

Kick-Ass, its sequel, and The Secret Service got turned into movies. There's 3-4 separate adaptations of Thomas Harris novels, John Carter turned from pulp fiction, to comic book, to movie, to comic based off movie (I swore i saw a movie based john carter book using the weird JCM logo on the cover).

Another thing that can be argued is that we value characters more than the stories they come from. The movies of Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Batman, Ironman, etc, aren't really adaptations of comic stories, they're just the characters. We'd adapt Van Helsing, Dracula, make a sexy Frankenstein, and remake the mummy, just to put them all into one cinematic universe.
>>
>>93029231
We are getting a dredd tvshow.
Not animated I know, but I still think its cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ei-BY6dYY
>>
>>93029583
>We'd adapt Van Helsing, Dracula, make a sexy Frankenstein, and remake the mummy, just to put them all into one cinematic universe.

We already did.
>>
>>93029636
It's still not going to be a 1:1 adaptation of the comics either, and it sounds like Dredd won't be the main focus.
>>
>>93027880
All adult animation is Family Guy to the general public
That and if something's going to be adapted it's most likely going to be live action and on a tv budget
>>
The West doesn't really plan to use the shows to sell more copies of the books, for many anime shows that is the central goal of the project, and if it doesn't move units of the original work then its pointless. Also, a lot of anime will end on some BS cliffhanger after the first few arcs to encourage that even more.
>>
>>93027880
Because it raises the question of why watch it when you already read it, this isn't like books to film.
>>
File: 1491579627000.jpg (36KB, 475x355px) Image search: [Google]
1491579627000.jpg
36KB, 475x355px
>>93029231
>there will never be a Nemesis the Warlock animated adaptation
They tried.
>>
The west isn't Asia, our live action isn't a joke so we don't need to adapt shit to animation to put butts in seats unless it's for kids.
>>
>>93030359
The overwhelming majority of science fiction/fantasy/capeshit adaptations would probably be better off as animation then live-action with a fuckton of CGI.
>>
>>93029231
>This is the closest we will ever get to a Nemesis the Warlock adaptation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bMM61Y5CEU
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.