[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did it take this long to have an actually good movie starring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: wonderwoman2.0.jpg (297KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
wonderwoman2.0.jpg
297KB, 1280x640px
Why did it take this long to have an actually good movie starring a female comic book superhero? I know it's not because of the source material, as previous attempts at female comic book movies had lots of potential - Catwoman and Elektra are great characters, for example, and could make for great movies.
>>
File: TheRedXTheory.jpg (19KB, 326x255px) Image search: [Google]
TheRedXTheory.jpg
19KB, 326x255px
Its kind of a circular logic that seems to effect female things for some reason. Books, shows, movies, toys..

>Toy sales determine what sells to kids
>boys buy more toys than girls and aren't likely to buy girl characters
>girl characters don't get made
>people complain about a lack of girls
>Intentionally make shitty girl toys that suck and are badly promoted
>toy flops
>use that as excuse to not spend more money on girls
>Make only boy toys
>...

>Supergirl was intentionally made shitty, as was Catwoman and Electra
>They obviously flop
>Decide to use that as an excuse to not make female super hero movies
>When people complain, bring up supergirl and Electra while ignoring the male superheroes that flopped
>Decide to continue status quo

Hopefully the success of this and Force Awakens convinces people to make female oriented stuff that doesn't intentionally suck so they no longer have an excuse to justify laziness
>>
A quote from 2014. Pedowitz when talking to Hollywood Reporter in 2014 revealed he’d be open to giving ‘Wonder Woman’ another try.

“It all depends on the script. We were very careful with Arrow, and we’re being very careful with Flash,” Pedowitz said of the Stephen Amell series and Grant Gustin Flash pilot in the works at the network. “These are iconic characters, so we’re going to be very careful with Wonder Woman. You only get one shot before you get bit.”
>>
>>93027831
>there are few good female superheroes who are well known and/or have been around long enough to get a movie of their own.
>the only good superhero movies besides batman have all been fairly recent marvel movies, older marvel movies before iron man, and those produced by sony, all being kind of shitty at best.
>dated marketing ideas about what girls like vs what boys like that is mostly a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Basically the wrong people were put in charge of bad scripts for the handful of decent female superheroes they had to work with. Someone who knows what they're doing given a more well known character has succeeded in what should not have been hard, but which the rest of the industry's incompetence has made look hard.

Now that the most well known female superhero has had a good movie they can make stuff about smaller lesser known characters, or more recent characters.
>>
>>93027831
Now i think about, do they ever call her "Wonder Woman" in the movie?
Is the name ever explained or referenced in the DCEU?
>>
>>93028309
I think Samir calls her Wonder Woman in French but idk.
>>
>>93027831
The Catwoman movie was about a cosmetics villain or some such, because Hollywood execs thought "she's a woman so gotta make it about fashion and make-up lady stuff!"
>>
>>93027831
DC's biggest advantage over Marvel is their much more iconic female characters.
>>
>>93027831
> Source material

That's a problem because most stories about female characters in comics are utter shit or very dodgy/shady/cringey.
>>
>>93028664
You're not wrong.
>>
>>93028580
not to mention taking everything great about her, like being morally grey but striving to do good, and saying fuck that shit lets fetish this shit up. If i want to see sexy Hallie Berry i just go see Sword Fish.

Same for Elektra, though that movie was also boring as shit, plus it was a sequel of sorts to an already shit movie.
>>
>>93027831
Assholes probably thought WW was too silly. MCU showed the audiences responded well to a variety of superhero movies and they liked Wondy in BvS so it was the right time. Plus having a good director and not rushing shit helps a lot.
>>
>>93029165
>Assholes probably thought WW was too silly. MCU showed the audiences responded well to a variety of superhero movies

I think this is key. For decades, most superheroes were considered unfilmable. Remember how nervous people were over whether Thor and Captain America would work out? The MCU using those characters plus others like the Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange proved that audiences are way more open to superheroes than execs thought. We'll probably start seeing a lot more "risks" that they never would have taken back in the mid-2000s.
>>
>>93029640
I want a Teen Titans movie, but I cant decide which line up I want, but the series one would probably be best though they would probably make Cyborg the leader, or the current comic one.
>>
>>93029750
If we're talking DCEU I doubt they'll put Cyborg in it due him being JL now.

They could either use the cartoon lineup with someone from other lineups as Cyborg's replacement, or make it a prequel to the DCAU and use a younger Cyborg instead.
>>
>>93027831
>a good movie
You mean what it took for DC to use the Marvel formula of delivering a shallow movie while bribing reviewers?

>>93029165
>>93029640
It seems like the audiences are retarded for eating up all these terrible movies.
>>
>>93028034
>>Make only boy toys
>>
>>93028034
>Hopefully the success of this and Force Awakens convinces people to make female oriented stuff that doesn't intentionally suck
As opposed to TFA and Wonder Woman which unintentionally sucked?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.