[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it acceptable to make fun of characters who are really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1484648247461.png (1MB, 1223x880px) Image search: [Google]
1484648247461.png
1MB, 1223x880px
Why is it acceptable to make fun of characters who are really stupid, to the point of basically being retarded, but if you were to explicitly say "this character has Down Syndrome" or "this character has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome" suddenly people get really upset?
>>
It's a tough one.

At the groundlings they make sure that their characters are not A. Crazy, B. Drunk/Stoned, C.Disabled, as it would call a character's point of view into question. I think a lot of entertainment rides the line pretty close, but you want fools to not be compromised or invalidated.
>>
First option often implies the person had chose to not pursue education and chose to live in willful ignorance or to degrade their mind, no matter the extreme. The other does not.

Of course there's the MASSIVE grey area where folks around the world are denied higher education, whether they know it or not, purposeful or accidental.

So yeah, it's a tough one that relys a lot on context. Context that many assume from get go.
>>
Because that's what's acceptable in society. Artists like to pretend to be progressive or whatever but the truth is they generally follow the norms of their culture, they just tend to be ever so slightly ahead of the curve.
>>
>>93002440
Being cartoonishly stupid is funny, having a diagnosable mental or physical disorder that exists in real life is not. It's a difference between fantasy and reality.
>>
>>93002440
To me, stupidity is having resources and neglecting to use them. If you don't have access to resources that can benefit you, then no shit you're stupid if you purposely turn them down. If you're chemically imbalanced, I can't really put the blame on you
>>
>>93005497
Whoops. Meant to say "If you have access to resources that can benefit you". If you don't have access to resources, it's not ideal to call you stupid, just uneducated
>>
>>93002440
Stupidity is treatable. Downs and FAS aren't. Also, it's quite possible for someone to have Downs and/or FAS and still be reasonably intelligent.
>>
>>93005497
But people aren't blank slates, there's a spectrum. People who are born with fewer smart alleles will just not find education as enticing as people born with a natural inclination for problem-solving, and teachers will regard them as stupid from the start and treat them accordingly. And it sort of just builds from that, because they just get more and more turned off by education as it becomes more and more difficult and intimidating. I'm really good at school, but that's only because 1) my parents are autistic math wizards so I inherited their genes and 2) education was like, literally the only thing they emphasized in my upbringing. Generally when I meet someone who's stupid, they had a background that is basically the polar opposite of that.
>>
>>93005644
You may want to move, America is literally based on the opposite of your understanding of people.
>>
Stop using that shitty OP image, you fucking faggot
>>
Cartoon levels of stupidty do exist in the real world and it's just as funny. Mental illness on the other can't be helped since it's a handicap. That being said, why is it always 100% of the time OK to make fun of short people. Not saying we shouldn't, just dawned on me.
>>
>>93002440
they're mocking ignorance, not a disorder.
>>
>>93002440
Because having down syndrome is a disorder that you have no control over. Being just stupid is all on you for not keeping up with your education, losers.
>>
>>93005754

What, that all men are created equal? A nice sentiment, except for the fact that like half the founders approved of slavery. So I take the line with a grain of salt.
>>
>>93005838
My guess is it's less incriminating. There's no real benefit to being taller
>>
>>93002440
Don't pretend like you've ever made anything.
>>
>>93006889
There's no real handicap to having an epicanthal fold either but it's not OK to make cartoon characters who have slits for eyes and go " OOOH CHING CHONG CHANG CHUNG!"
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.